PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: what track,and what era had the best jockey colony

Trotman
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Just throwing it out there,I thought the mid 70's in California you had Pincay,Hawley,Shoemaker,McCarron, McHargue and the apprentices

Wickel
12-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Just throwing it out there,I thought the mid 70's in California you had Pincay,Hawley,Shoemaker,McCarron, McHargue and the apprentices

Don't forget Eddie D. He definitely was a force in that mid-'70s colony.

illinoisbred
12-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Early 60's at Arlington- Shoemaker[1or2 seasons],a young Pincay, Hartack,Walter Blum, Don Brumfield,and a kid-Earlie Fires.

MickJ26
12-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I was thinking SoCal in the 90's. McCarron, Stevens, Delahoussaye, Desormeaux, Pincay, Espinoza, Nakatani, Solis, Valenzuela, a young Garrett Gomez. I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

Trotman
12-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Absolutely Wickel, Eddie D was a big part of the colony.
And Illy you're right on cashed many a good bet on the new kid Fires :ThmbUp:

tzipi
12-15-2009, 06:15 PM
I was thinking SoCal in the 90's. McCarron, Stevens, Delahoussaye, Desormeaux, Pincay, Espinoza, Nakatani, Solis, Valenzuela, a young Garrett Gomez. I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

That was a great colony!

Trotman
12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Now we're talking lets get away from what we might think as negative aspects of the sport and think about the enjoyment we have gotten out of the sport :ThmbUp:

illinoisbred
12-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree, a lot more great times and racing in the years I've been involved.

Trotman
12-15-2009, 07:07 PM
One of my best memories was when Big Brown won the Derby. A former jockey jumped on my back and was thrashing like he was riding from the top of the stretch home.When it was over he was buying drinks galore.I asked him how he did as if I did'nt know and he said he bet the race just like I told him to and that to me was the big picture,down on his luck career over and for that moment a winner. Love this sport :ThmbUp:

stu
12-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Let's consider Saratoga in the 60's

Manuel Ycaza, Johnny Sellers, Braulio Baeza, Sam Boulmetis, Angel Cordero, Jorge Velasquez, John Rotz, Jean Cruguet, Bobby Ussery, Walter Blum, and Ismael Valenzuela just to name a few

tzipi
12-15-2009, 07:36 PM
00's NY not to shabby. Bailey,Dominquez,Gomez,Desormeaux,Bejarano,Maragh, Garcia,Prado,Velazquez just to name a few.

rrpic6
12-15-2009, 07:41 PM

I'm secure enough in my manhood to say that those guys were the loves and hates of my life.

RR

Trotman
12-15-2009, 07:51 PM
:lol: :lol: rrpic6 good one and we all know of what you speak of. Just the same we have some list going on and it would be great for us the bettor if everyday we got to bet on races that could boast a field of these jocks in their prime.

joanied
12-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Let's consider Saratoga in the 60's

Manuel Ycaza, Johnny Sellers, Braulio Baeza, Sam Boulmetis, Angel Cordero, Jorge Velasquez, John Rotz, Jean Cruguet, Bobby Ussery, Walter Blum, and Ismael Valenzuela just to name a few

Ya took the words right outta my mouth...incredible jockey colonly...downstate too... made a lot of $$ on Cordero...especially at the end of the meet, when he brought home a ton of longshots!!
ARe we mising a few??

tundral
12-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Shoemaker,Hawley,Delahoussaye,Mccarron,Pincay,Stev ens,Toro,P.Valenzuela,
and many more.

only11
12-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Don't forget Eddie D. He definitely was a force in that mid-'70s colony.
Codero,cauthen,velasquez,maple

elksclub
12-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Anywhere Chris Antsley was.

BlueShoe
12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Back in the early and mid 60's, before there was such a thing as winter racing in the north, most of the great riders plus those that were just very good, would be at Santa Anita, with a few in Florida. Arcaro,Shoemaker,Longden,Baeza,Ycaza,Hartack,Neves ,Valenzuela,Moreno, and several more good ones; a great rding colony.

Jasonm921
12-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Both NY and California in the early 90's had fantastic jockeys. Saratoga during those years was insane as well when you had Day,Sellers,Perret all coming in as well. Journeymen jockeys never had a shot.

wisconsin
12-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Very early 80's Arlington

D Brumfield
JD Bailey
P Day
E Fires
D McHargue
R Sibille
J Diaz
CH Silva
G Galitano
D Hairre
RP Romero

Was a very solid colony.

nijinski
12-16-2009, 11:00 PM
East Coast , the seventies

Cordero, Velasquez, Turcotte , Vasquez , Maple , Fell, Samyn on grass and Cauthen,
I remember when Cash Assmussen was a bug and was red hot.
Always enjoyed when these guys flew in from the west, McCarren and Pincay.
Two jocks , I think about alot who earned praise Don MacBeth and Mke Venezia , both gone too young.

joanied
12-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Anywhere Chris Antsley was.

Loved that guy...it's Chris Antley, by the way. I still can't beleive :( he's gone...and I beleive when Charismatic broke down, Chris went into a tail spin because of it...those two shoulda won the Triple Crown. Very, very sad.

joanied
12-18-2009, 06:37 PM
East Coast , the seventies

Cordero, Velasquez, Turcotte , Vasquez , Maple , Fell, Samyn on grass and Cauthen,
I remember when Cash Assmussen was a bug and was red hot.
Always enjoyed when these guys flew in from the west, McCarren and Pincay.
Two jocks , I think about alot who earned praise Don MacBeth and Mke Venezia , both gone too young.

Oh,jeeze...I knew Mike Venezia...tragedy:( not only did we loose a great jockey...but a genuine good person.

PIC6SIX
02-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Tod Sloan in the George Elsworth Smith era.;)

statepierback
02-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Late 70's in Southern California.