PDA

View Full Version : The Help We Really Need

Pell Mell
12-15-2009, 08:35 AM
The number of federal workers earning six-figure salaries has exploded during the recession, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal salary data.
Federal employees making salaries of $100,000 or more jumped from 14% to 19% of civil servants during the recession's first 18 months — and that's before overtime pay and bonuses are counted.

Federal workers are enjoying an extraordinary boom time — in pay and hiring — during a recession that has cost 7.3 million jobs in the private sector.

The number of federal workers earning six-figure salaries has exploded during the recession, according to a USA TODAY analysis of federal salary data.
Federal employees making salaries of $100,000 or more jumped from 14% to 19% of civil servants during the recession's first 18 months — and that's before overtime pay and bonuses are counted.

Federal workers are enjoying an extraordinary boom time — in pay and hiring — during a recession that has cost 7.3 million jobs in the private sector.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-12-10-federal-pay-salaries_N.htm

The boom times are here, for some!:faint:

Black Ruby
12-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Key reasons for the boom in six-figure salaries:

• Pay hikes. Then-president Bush recommended — and Congress approved — across-the-board raises of 3% in January 2008 and 3.9% in January 2009. President Obama has recommended 2% pay raises in January 2010, the smallest since 1975. Most federal workers also get longevity pay hikes — called steps — that average 1.5% per year.

•New pay system. Congress created a new National Security Pay Scale for the Defense Department to reward merit, in addition to the across-the-board increases. The merit raises, which started in January 2008, were larger than expected and rewarded high-ranking employees. In October, Congress voted to end the new pay scale by 2012.

So who are you saying caused this spike in Fed wages?

boxcar
12-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Key reasons for the boom in six-figure salaries:

• Pay hikes. Then-president Bush recommended — and Congress approved — across-the-board raises of 3% in January 2008 and 3.9% in January 2009. President Obama has recommended 2% pay raises in January 2010, the smallest since 1975. Most federal workers also get longevity pay hikes — called steps — that average 1.5% per year.

•New pay system. Congress created a new National Security Pay Scale for the Defense Department to reward merit, in addition to the across-the-board increases. The merit raises, which started in January 2008, were larger than expected and rewarded high-ranking employees. In October, Congress voted to end the new pay scale by 2012.

So who are you saying caused this spike in Fed wages?

You mean to say that the "lower ranking" employees don't make nearly as much money? The government hasn't concocted a one-size fits all compensation package yet? No equal outcomes compensation policy, yet? Tsk, tsk, tsk...

I don't know for sure who caused what here, but since the government, generally, is notoriously famous for creating waste, I think we can be reasonably sure of one thing: Government employees, generally, are grossly overpaid underachievers. And I speak from a great deal of experience over the years of dealing with these types on the state, county and municipal levels especially. The refreshing exception has always been finding someone who is conscientious, considerate and competent. Most government employees would have a really difficult time surviving in the real business world.

Boxcar

Pell Mell
12-15-2009, 11:34 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't give 2 shits as to who did it, of course the standard lib reply is it's Bush's fault, the point is there are millions and millions out of work and these bums get raises. Regardless of how small, it's still a raise.

The whole govt. from top to bottom SUCKS and so do those that support this $hit!

Show Me the Wire
12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Well if Bush did it, Obama can undoe it. Why would he want his administration to reap the windafall of an administration Obama critized as a failure? America voted for change, so I ask where is it?

DJofSD
12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Larry Kudlow mentioned this too.

An important USA Today story about boom times in the Beltway underscores all this. The paper revealed this week that the number of federal workers earning six-figure salaries exploded during the recession. The number of federal pay caps eased, while pay hikes proliferated — all while the private economy suffered massive job loses.

According to Chris Edwards at Cato, there are now 383,000 federal workers earning six-figure salaries, and 22,000 earning salaries over $170,000; the number of civil servants making $100,000 or more has jumped over 46 percent since the start of the recession; and the average federal-worker’s pay and benefits is $120,000, double the comparable $60,000 package in the private sector. Edwards also reports that Recovery Act funding has created 407,000 government-contract jobs.

All this helps explain why long-term economic growth is likely to slow to a 2 percent zone, rather than cruise in the 3.5 percent zone of the 1980s and 1990s. The primacy of government over private enterprise has been tried, and has failed dismally.

boxcar
12-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Well if Bush did it, Obama can undoe it. Why would he want his administration to reap the windafall of an administration Obama critized as a failure? America voted for change, so I ask where is it?

Let's see...BO...that caring, compassionate politician can okay a 2% pay hike for federal workers while denying seniors on fixed incomes any increases because cost of living didn't go up. Well then...on what basis do those who need the 2% raise the least get awarded that kind of increase, especially during a recession?

Boxcar

prospector
12-15-2009, 05:50 PM
when private companies get in trouble, they lay off employees and reduce benefits...when will the government do the same?..never
i say lay off the congress and their bloated staffs and turn the post office over to private, cut their fat, and go profitable..
i fail to see how govn workers can get a raise and grannie and grandpa can't..hopefully, grannie and grandpa will vote.....i will.