PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get Audio To Work On My Computer.

trying2win
12-14-2009, 06:32 AM
I recently had a problem with some corrupted files that interfered with normal computer operations. I couldn't even access the RESTORE feature to go back to a time when everything was working fine. Eventually, I decided just to delete all my files and do a reinstall of WINDOWS XP. I've done that before. Losing the files was no big deal to me.

After I did the reinstall, and adding my web cam again, I couldn't get any audio features to work on any mp 3 files, or cd's, or things like live horse racing videos etc. Looking for clues, I then went to the CONTROL PANEL to check out the SOUNDS, SPEECH and AUDIO DEVICES section. I noticed that all the audio devices were linked to the web cam names??? I remember before I bought this newest web cam, that in this audio section part of the control panel, that the audio used to be linked to what I think was called 'VINYL 97' something and the sounds worked fine. I even did some of the hardware tests they suggest in that section of the control panel. It declared that the audio was working fine. That's strange, because I still couldn't get any sound. And yes, I checked to see if I had inadvertently put a check mark on one of the MUTE boxes. I also checked to see that the speaker volume button was turned on and the volume turned up enough, and that the speaker wire was plugged into the right slot on the back of the computer.

I suspect that since the web cam has a built-in microphone(and that doesnt' work either) that is why the control panel links any audio devices to the web cam. So, I'm stumped on how to solve this problem. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks a mllion for any help you can give me with some troubleshooting techniques.

T2W

senortout
12-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Try using Device Manager and go into sound part and uninstall your sound...that would be

1)windows key + Pause key
2)hardware tab
3)device manager
4)sound, click the + symbol to open
5) RIGHT CLICK each item in there.....and uninstall the one that gives you that option....usually only one will have that option

reboot Windows and check your sound (after windows finds the sound card and reinstalls it automatically)..

best to you...

trying2win
12-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Try using Device Manager and go into sound part and uninstall your sound...that would be

1)windows key + Pause key
2)hardware tab
3)device manager
4)sound, click the + symbol to open
5) RIGHT CLICK each item in there.....and uninstall the one that gives you that option....usually only one will have that option

reboot Windows and check your sound (after windows finds the sound card and reinstalls it automatically)..

best to you...

SENORTOUT:

I tried your suggestion re the device manager. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the no audio problem. Nevertheless, it was a good suggestion that I hadn't thought of. Thank for your attempt to help. I appreciate it. In the past, I recall tinkering around with the device manager on some other computer problems and successfully resolved the issues at that time.

There are many other computer experts here at BRAG ADVANTAGE, who have usually chimed in to help me in the past with some computer problems. Strangely, they are silent this time around. Maybe they have me on their IGNORE LIST for some comments I've made in the OFF TOPIC section. Perhaps they didn't like me telling the truth on some controversial subjects.

Oh well, somehow I'll get the answer to my audio problem. I'll keep searching in Google and some tech websites where there are a lot of savvy computer geeks who are gladly willing to help out.

T2W

------------------------------------------------------------------------
~"But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself."

--Rick Nelson (from his song GARDEN PARTY)

PaceAdvantage
12-21-2009, 04:59 AM
There are many other computer experts here at BRAG ADVANTAGE, who have usually chimed in to help me in the past with some computer problems. Strangely, they are silent this time around. Maybe they have me on their IGNORE LIST for some comments I've made in the OFF TOPIC section. Perhaps they didn't like me telling the truth on some controversial subjects.Oddest post of the month award definitely goes to you.

098poi
12-21-2009, 08:47 AM
T2W,

Check the audio settings again and see if there is a dropdown to switch the output to your PC's audio. If not try going to add and remove programs and uninstall your camera, reboot and see if you have audio. If you don't you may have to reinstall the system audio driver from a CD that you have or go to the website of your PC manufacturer and download it.

trying2win
12-24-2009, 08:54 PM
T2W,

Check the audio settings again and see if there is a dropdown to switch the output to your PC's audio. If not try going to add and remove programs and uninstall your camera, reboot and see if you have audio. If you don't you may have to reinstall the system audio driver from a CD that you have or go to the website of your PC manufacturer and download it.

098:

Thanks for the input. You and Senortout were right. Fiddling around with the device manager settings got my audio back working again. That's the good news. The bad news is now my web cam doesn't work, but videos of many sorts will. It's a vicious circle. If I then go back to the device manager to fix the cam settings and get the web cam working again, then the audio won't work.

I've come to the conclusion, that all the problems started after I installed this new cam awhile ago. Somehow the cam installation screwed up the normal audio settings on my computer. Gets a little frustrating when the cam and audio settings won't work properly at the same time. May eventually have to ditch this particular cam.

On the good side, I learned a little bit more about troubleshooting cam and audio problems, and how to tinker with some settings in the device manager to get some devices working again. Thanks again to you and Senortout for your help. It was much appreciated.

T2W

trying2win
12-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Oddest post of the month award definitely goes to you.

Mike:

I resemble that comment by you due to my own ramblings in that post. Better yet...I don't act odd...just eccentric at times. And I admit it! :D

T2W