PDA

View Full Version : Republicans California Dreamin'

NJ Stinks
12-14-2009, 02:10 AM
This story comes from the Washington Post tonight. I'm sure Andy would have posted it if I hadn't. :liar:
__________________________________________________ ____

The Republicans' war within
In California, repercussions of one vote by legislator illustrate fractured state party

By Michael Leahy
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, December 14, 2009

CLAREMONT, CALIF. -- A few facts reveal just how far the Republican Party (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/politicsglossary/party-affiliated/Republican-Party/) has fallen in California.

A Republican hasn't carried the state in a presidential contest since 1988. The last time a California GOP (http://projects.washingtonpost.com/politicsglossary/party-affiliated/GOP/) candidate won a U.S. Senate election was in the same decade. Nowadays, Republicans' share of the state's registered voters has shrunk to 31 percent, a historic low.

"There are large parts of the state where the party is irrelevant," said Allan Hoffenblum, a well-known California political analyst who has been a campaign manager for Republicans in the state. "It's not even a statewide party, really."

But few stories better reflect the divisions and disarray among state Republicans than the saga of an obscure Southern California assemblyman.

More at the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/13/AR2009121303042.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2009121400050

highnote
12-14-2009, 02:30 AM
This explains why being Independent is attractive to a lot of people and why the Republicans and Democrats have to win the Independent vote. A lot of people don't want to buy into all the dogma of either party.

The issues today are too broad for any one party's philosophies to please everyone within the party.

So you either have to accept that your party is going to support things you don't like or you're going to have to become independent. Either way, things are going to get voted on by the party members that you don't like.

Maybe being Independent is the best way to be. Look at all the power Joe Lieberman is wielding in the Senate. Of course, we can't all be senators, but if we're independent and the party wants our vote, they'll have to cater to us.

bigmack
12-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Soon to be:

Harry Reid - Gone
Chris Dodd - Gone
Barb Boxer - More than likely gone

Other than that, facinatin' article.

Here's another:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/12_13_09_23_26_41.png
http://biggovernment.com/2009/12/12/a-political-realignment-in-the-works/#more-45042

PaceAdvantage
12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey, California is bankrupt, is she not?

Good to know Republicans haven't had much of any influence in that state in many, many years....

It explains a lot...thanks NJ!

delayjf
12-14-2009, 10:04 AM
A Republican hasn't carried the state in a presidential contest since 1988. The last time a California GOP candidate won a U.S. Senate election was in the same decade. Nowadays, Republicans' share of the state's registered voters has shrunk to 31 percent, a historic low.

Also explains why the state is on the verge of bankruptcy, has one of (if not the highest) tax rate and is ranked as one of the worst places to do business. But on the bright side, we do lead the country in MJ shops - so we got that going for us. :jump:

Sailwolf
12-14-2009, 10:17 AM

Good to know Republicans haven't had much of any influence in that state in many, many years....

New York income tax rate is the highest in the nation!!!!!!!!

johnhannibalsmith
12-14-2009, 10:49 AM

I was sort of thinking the same thing... golly, those Repubs must be ashamed that they can't lay claim to credit for the wonder that is California 2009...

PaceAdvantage
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I can't wait for the "well, the GOV is Republican....:lol: "

Tom
12-14-2009, 11:45 AM
New York income tax rate is the highest in the nation!!!!!!!!

Another democrat state.

Robert Goren
12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
I can't wait for the "well, the GOV is Republican....:lol: " Well, he is.

Robert Goren
12-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Soon to be:

Harry Reid - Gone
I would not be too sure of that. He looks very good when compared to other senator from Nevada.

46zilzal
12-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Just talked to my friend Sam, who is being prompted to run for Lt. Governor as a Republican, and he harbors no illusions about winning.

BlueShoe
12-14-2009, 03:34 PM

It sure does. Had the GOP been in greater positions of influence and leadership in recent decades California would not be in the mess that it now finds itself in. The state is the poster child for Democratic Party social and fiscal engineering bungling, and of the incompetance of liberals when they are given almost free reign to manage things. The source for the Op is the Washington Post, one of the most leftist news sources in the nation. Not much of a surprise, is it, that they would print such an article? In 11 months there are going to be a lot of sad faces in liberal Democrat strongholds after the GOP racks up large gains in the mid term elections.

boxcar
12-14-2009, 03:59 PM
It sure does. Had the GOP been in greater positions of influence and leadership in recent decades California would not be in the mess that it now finds itself in. The state is the poster child for Democratic Party social and fiscal engineering bungling, and of the incompetance of liberals when they are given almost free reign to manage things. The source for the Op is the Washington Post, one of the most leftist news sources in the nation. Not much of a surprise, is it, that they would print such an article? In 11 months there are going to be a lot of sad faces in liberal Democrat strongholds after the GOP racks up large gains in the mid term elections.

I tend to agree, Bluey, providing the Repubs don't cave in on key issues, such as the HC bill. If they stand strong and firm against this tyrannical monstrosity that is being debated in the Senate now (notwithstanding the likes of an Olympia Snowe, for example), I think the Repbus will win big because most Americans don't want this bill. The key, therefore, is to show most Americans that the Republicans actually have some backbone, stand for something and aren't a bunch of mindless sheeple who will go along with something that would be really horrific for the country.

Boxcar

LottaKash
12-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Californian's seem to love & embrace "Obama"....Now, that is scary, wanting the "nation" to go the way of Cali..!

best,

Overlay
12-14-2009, 04:43 PM
The ultimate solution to California's (and the nation's) problems lies in politicians (of both parties) having the fortitude to make deep, unpopular cuts in spending to reduce the size of government/social programs (which, of course, means that the politicans in question would be promptly voted out of office). I don't see any way out of this downward spiral. People have grown too dependent on big government, and too unwilling to make the sacrifices that the situation demands of all of us.

boxcar
12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
The ultimate solution to California's (and the nation's) problems lies in politicians (of both parties) having the fortitude to make deep, unpopular cuts in spending to reduce the size of government/social programs (which, of course, means that the politicans in question would be promptly voted out of office). I don't see any way out of this downward spiral. People have grown too dependent on big government, and too unwilling to make the sacrifices that the situation demands of all of us.

I agree. The Welfare State Drug is highly addictive. Just look at the libs on this forum alone. They can't get enough of big government. Government can't can't do enough for them. Their appetite for more entitlements is insatiable. Pretty sick mentality....

Boxcar

bigmack
12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
The ultimate solution to California's (and the nation's) problems lies in politicians (of both parties) having the fortitude to make deep, unpopular cuts in spending to reduce the size of government/social programs
We're starting out here by signing petitions to make their jobs part-time and cut their salaries in half. (Don't let Mostpost or NJStinks know)

They appear to have some free time.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/12_14_09_14_27_00.png

Check out how states stack up in how they compensate legislators.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/12_14_09_14_30_00.png
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/12_14_09_14_30_36.png

Lefty
12-15-2009, 03:09 AM
Ahnald repub? He has name but not the game.

delayjf
12-15-2009, 09:25 AM
I can't imagine how bad it would be if CA didn't have term limits.