PDA

View Full Version : BloodHorse Best 12 Fillies/Mares of the Decade

joanied
12-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Same thing for the distaffers...again, you'll wonder why some didn't make the list...but IMO, it's fun to take these 12 and choose your order:) ...the BH editors made the list.

Ashado
Azeri
Beautiful Pleasure
Goldikova
Ginger Punch
Proud Spell
Rachel Alexandra
Rags to Riches
Ouija Board
Noshoba's Key
Xtra Heat
Zenyatta
:) :) :)

Spalding No!
12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Completely idiotic. They have Beautiful Pleasures, who did her best work in '99, but not Riboletta, who dominated the '00 season amongst older mares putting up a season Azeri and Zenyatta would have aspired to had they any sort of competitive connections.

Zippy Chippy
12-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Would have loved to see Megahertz the pocket rocket on this list!!!! She was a fun one to watch

Steve R
12-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Completely idiotic. They have Beautiful Pleasures, who did her best work in '99, but not Riboletta, who dominated the '00 season amongst older mares putting up a season Azeri and Zenyatta would have aspired to had they any sort of competitive connections.
Agreed! Riboletta could easily displace many of those on the list.

sandpit
12-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Agreed! Riboletta could easily displace many of those on the list.

further testimony to the lack of racing knowledge there. Megahertz is also definitely deserving. And what about Hallowed Dreams and Peppers Pride; any horse that reels off the number of consecutive wins they did merits consideration. I would have liked to seen Happy Ticket on there as well. I guess it would be tough to knock 4 of them off to replace them with my choices though.

illinoisbred
12-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Happy Ticket was one hell of a race mare. Andrew Leggio handled her to perfection. Like always, its just another midwest/Louisiana slight.

Dahoss9698
12-13-2009, 11:21 PM
further testimony to the lack of racing knowledge there. Megahertz is also definitely deserving. And what about Hallowed Dreams and Peppers Pride; any horse that reels off the number of consecutive wins they did merits consideration. I would have liked to seen Happy Ticket on there as well. I guess it would be tough to knock 4 of them off to replace them with my choices though.

Peppers Pride? Her streak was a great accomplishment, but is there a filly on that list that Peppers Pride could get within 10 lengths of?

sandpit
12-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Peppers Pride? Her streak was a great accomplishment, but is there a filly on that list that Peppers Pride could get within 10 lengths of?

I agree totally, but that doesn't mean her accomplishment wasn't noteworthy from a historical perspective.

joanied
12-14-2009, 08:53 PM
I noticed the Bloodhorse list of colts has far more postings:eek: ...and to repeat myself...I don't know what the editors at the BH were thinking when they made both the lists...several don't belong, and several more should be there...but, as I said at the colts list...things are kinda slow this time of the year...maybe that's why all these best & worst of lists come out:D ...and this are the 12 they gave everyone to vote on...so here goes...

Ashado 8
Azeri 3
Beautiful Pleasure 6
Goldikova 9
Ginger Punch 7
Proud Spell 11
Rachel Alexandra 1
Rags to Riches 10
Ouija Board 4
Noshoba's Key 12
Xtra Heat 5
Zenyatta 2

tucker6
12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
I noticed the Bloodhorse list of colts has far more postings:eek: ...and to repeat myself...I don't know what the editors at the BH were thinking when they made both the lists...several don't belong, and several more should be there...but, as I said at the colts list...things are kinda slow this time of the year...maybe that's why all these best & worst of lists come out:D ...and this are the 12 they gave everyone to vote on...so here goes...

Ashado 8
Azeri 3
Beautiful Pleasure 6
Goldikova 9
Ginger Punch 7
Proud Spell 11
Rachel Alexandra 1
Rags to Riches 10
Ouija Board 4
Noshoba's Key 12
Xtra Heat 5
Zenyatta 2
Not bad Joanie. I might have made Goldie a tad higher, but not by much.

joanied
12-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Not bad Joanie. I might have made Goldie a tad higher, but not by much.

Thanks tucker6:) ...yeah, had a hard time with her.

It really is a sorta dumb list though...but...fun:jump:

miesque
12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Same thing for the distaffers...again, you'll wonder why some didn't make the list...but IMO, it's fun to take these 12 and choose your order:) ...the BH editors made the list.

Ashado
Azeri
Beautiful Pleasure
Goldikova
Ginger Punch
Proud Spell
Rachel Alexandra
Rags to Riches
Ouija Board
Noshoba's Key
Xtra Heat
Zenyatta

I am not going to rank the whole list because for some reason putting together Top 10 lists/rankings is not my forte, I can narrow down the top two, three or four some times but not top 10. I have actually been fortunate to see all of the ladies listed above in person through my travels except Rachel. My top three would be Ouija Board, Zenyatta/Goldikova and the reason I went with Ouija Board is her career over three years spanned the globe and she faced nothing but the best in each country she raced in. She had an immense presence, demeanor and intellegence along with of course talent and heart and I still to this day think that with a better ride in 2005 would have been the first winner of three Breeders Cups in a row.

The two horses that I would not include in such a list if I did them would be Ashado and Proud Spell (and to a slightly lesser extent Nashoba's Key - may she rest in peace).

WinterTriangle
12-15-2009, 01:20 AM
the BH editors made the list.

Goldikova

Maybe they didn't notice that Zarkava beat Goldikova in both the French Guineas and French Oaks.

Zarkava gets #1 for me. The Arc is the best race in the world, boys vs girls, and she is the first female Arc winner since 1993. Good heavens, she crucified Vison d' Etat, Youzamain, Soldier of Fortune and all the best middle distance runners in Europe/world in that race, in addition to her other outstanding feats as a 3 year old.

I'm sorry, but Zenyatta and Rachel just could not do this, at least I don't think so.

They also left out Makybe Diva.

FenceBored
12-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Maybe they didn't notice that Zarkava beat Goldikova in both the French Guineas and French Oaks.

Zarkava gets #1 for me. The Arc is the best race in the world, boys vs girls, and she is the first female Arc winner since 1993. Good heavens, she crucified Vison d' Etat, Youzamain, Soldier of Fortune and all the best middle distance runners in Europe/world in that race, in addition to her other outstanding feats as a 3 year old.

I'm sorry, but Zenyatta and Rachel just could not do this, at least I don't think so.

They also left out Makybe Diva.

The list is of fillies and mare who raced in North America as they state on the Bloodhorse website (http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/you-make-the-call/archive/2009/12/03/filly-of-the-decade.aspx).

joanied
12-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Again...this was for North American horses only...and although we disagree on some that are on the list, and wonder why some were not on the list...here are the results:

Rachel
Azeri
Ouija Board
Rag to Riches
Zenyatta
Goldikova
Ashado
Ginger Punch
Xtra Heat
Beautiful Pleasure
Noashoba's Key
Proud Spell

My big surprise is seeing Zenyatta at #5!