PDA

View Full Version : Where is Karl's Korner?

Dave Schwartz
12-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Karl is another one we haven't heard from in a long time.

Does anyone actually know him from the track?

Dave

Tom
12-12-2009, 03:33 PM
He posted recently about Hialeah finally re-opening.

Dave Schwartz
12-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Ahhh... I missed that.

Thanks, Tom.

And, speaking of Tom, has anyone seen him?

Dave

Overlay
12-12-2009, 03:53 PM
And, speaking of Tom, has anyone seen him?

I think he's one of those urban legends. :)

karlskorner
12-12-2009, 05:24 PM
In my 84th year and still going to the track daily, as I mentioned sometime ago I lost part of my hearing on Okinawa and some more several years back so I don't seek new friends at the track.

Speaking of friends, something spooky happened to me several weekends ago. We have to go back 20 years or so, 15/18 of my colleagues decided to form a tentine and each chip in a $1.00 to buy a bottle of cognac, the money was given to my friend doug, since he was the youngest by at least 10 years, the survivor (who lived the longest) was to toast each of his past on friends. I forgot the whole thing.

Several Saturdays ago a women approached me where I usually sit at CRC and announced she was the wife of Doug and she handed me the bottle of cognac, Doug had died 2 week earlier and he had requested that she find me, as I was the survivor.

BIG HIT
12-12-2009, 05:36 PM
YOUR THE MAN YOU HAVE BEEN TRULY BLESSED.I only know one other guy that goe's to northville down's simulcasting he can still pickem as i'am sure you can he is 94 so enjoy karl you have many year's ahead.

Dave Schwartz
12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Karl,

Always heard it called "tontine." So, how was the cognac?

Dave

karlskorner
12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Your right tontine, check that error to arthritis, never touched the cognac, gave it to a mutual clerk on the way out, there is more to the story that don't need telling.

JustRalph
12-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Your right tontine, check that error to arthritis, never touched the cognac, gave it to a mutual clerk on the way out, there is more to the story that don't need telling.
:lol: :lol:

Warren Henry
12-12-2009, 10:37 PM
In my 84th year and still going to the track daily, as I mentioned sometime ago I lost part of my hearing on Okinawa and some more several years back so I don't seek new friends at the track.

Speaking of friends, something spooky happened to me several weekends ago. We have to go back 20 years or so, 15/18 of my colleagues decided to form a tentine and each chip in a $1.00 to buy a bottle of cognac, the money was given to my friend doug, since he was the youngest by at least 10 years, the survivor (who lived the longest) was to toast each of his past on friends. I forgot the whole thing.

Several Saturdays ago a women approached me where I usually sit at CRC and announced she was the wife of Doug and she handed me the bottle of cognac, Doug had died 2 week earlier and he had requested that she find me, as I was the survivor.

Thanks for the sacrifice you made on OKI. I spent some time there in 1969 and it was hard to picture how awful it must have been 24 years earlier. May you have winners every day and many more years in the sun.

elksclub
12-12-2009, 11:07 PM

Marines...I take it?

My Father was a Marine on Okinawa.

BUD
12-13-2009, 01:44 PM

God Bless

maxwell
12-14-2009, 08:19 PM
84 and still pickin' winners! ... goes to show you what blind - and near deaf - squirrels can do. :)

ranchwest
12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Karl, a few years ago Miss America was deaf. What does being hearing impaired have to do with friendship?

Sham
12-21-2009, 06:00 PM
I know this is off topic for this board, but the coincidence is striking. As I read this thread, I'm near the end of a book entitled "History of World War II", Armed Services Memorial Edition, copyright 1945. I stumbled on it at an antique shop. Just today, I'm reading the chapter on Okinawa, then a few minutes later, I see Karl's post mentioning that he was there, along with elksclub's post mentioning his father.

From the book, paraphrased:
At 8:30am on April 1, 1945, Easter Sunday, the US Tenth Army sent the 24th Army Corps and the Marine Corps Third Amphibious Corps ashore along an eight mile stretch of Okinawa's west coast. On June 21, the Japanese commander, Lt. General Mitsuri Ushijima, and his chief of staff, Lt. General Isamo Cho, walked to ledge outside their cave, knelt, and committed suicide by "hara-kiri".

Between those dates, the loss of life was staggering. Prior to the invasion, it was estimated that the Japanese garrison was about 75,000. It was more than 110,000, of which 103,000 were killed. Total American casualties were nearly 50,000, of which 12,500 were killed or missing.

My apologies if I'm bringing back troubling memories, but I thought it was important to note that many of us, who, despite not living through that time, feel the importance of remembering the bravery and sacrifice of that generation.

Many more healthy days to you and all veterans.

PS. Just a note, while this is my first post with this ID, I have previously posted as MarylandPaul@HSH, though not in some time.

maxwell
12-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Sham,

I just finished reading an excellent book on the Second World War myself. "Fateful Choices - Ten Decisions That Changed The World" by Ian Kershaw.

My hat goes off to Karl and all the Allied Forces. :1:

John
12-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Sham,
My hat goes off to Karl and all the Allied Forces. :1:

I'll drink a cognac to that. :)