PDA

View Full Version : Equibase Scratches

Tom
12-12-2009, 12:03 PM
The tracks doing an outstanding job today.:rolleyes:
Less than a half hour until post time, and no scratches up for Aqu, Pha, or Tam.

If the tracks do not give a crap about their programs, why do they wonder why no one else does? Maybe they are on lunch?

Pathetic performance by small-minded people way over their heads in their jobs.

DanG
12-12-2009, 12:06 PM
I hear ya Tom...

Tampa...

Saturday, December 12, 2009
TRACK: Fast
TURF: Good
Portable Rail: at 0

Weather: Mostly Cloudy – mid 70’s

Super High 5 CARRYOVER: $0
Pick 6 CARRYOVER: $0

RACE 1
#3-Scratched(Poole of Cash)
#12-Scratched(Gonna Blow)
Post Time 12:27

RACE 2
#4-Scratched(Mom Extraordinary)
#8-Scratched(Capulet)
Post Time 12:53

RACE 3
#6-Scratched(Slievenamon)
Post Time 1:19

RACE 4
No Changes
Post Time 1:46

RACE 5 (Turf)
#11-Scratched(Black Belt)
#12-Scratched(El Commodore)
#13-Scratched(Sir Deputy)
#14-Scratched(Cuz You All)
Post Time 2:14

RACE 6
No Changes
Post Time 2:40

RACE 7 (Turf)
#1a-Scratched(Power Game) P.O.E.
#2-jockey J. Velez Jr. - +1
#7-+1
Post Time 3:10

RACE 8
No Changes
Post Time 3:39

RACE 9 (Turf)
#3-+1
#9-jockey J. Garcia
#11-Scratched(Life Lesson)
#12-Scratched(Twiceasbeautiful)
#13-Scratched(Easy Mark)
#14-Scratched(Little B Rosson)
Post Time 4:07

RACE 10
No Changes
Post Time 4:39

RACE 11
#2-Scratched(Twquila’s Desire)
#5-jockey E. Oro – 1st Time Lasix
Post Time 5:13

senortout
12-12-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.equibase.com/premium/changes/AQU-changes.asp

senortout

These changes added at 12/12/2009 11:02:31 AM Eastern Time

BillW
12-12-2009, 12:43 PM
The tracks doing an outstanding job today.:rolleyes:
Less than a half hour until post time, and no scratches up for Aqu, Pha, or Tam.

If the tracks do not give a crap about their programs, why do they wonder why no one else does? Maybe they are on lunch?

Pathetic performance by small-minded people way over their heads in their jobs.

I'll give TAM a pass, they are new to the system, but NYRA and PHA appear to be ignoring it. The funny thing is, it's easier for them to use the Equibase system and just link the data back to their own website. It is ultimately MORE WORK to ignore it. :rolleyes:

Jeff P
12-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I'll try to shed some light on what's going on...

The best way to describe it would be "resistance" at the track level...

There are a handful of tracks that are resisting the new Equibase system... NYRA for example is one of the ones resisting it.

When I say "resistance"... here's what I mean:

NYRA has their own in house changes reporting system. Someone in NYRA IT is charged with the job responsibility of getting scratches up on the NYRA site. He enters the info into the NYRA system which propagates the changes out onto the NYRA site. Understand that the NYRA system is a closed system... completely separate from the Equibase system.

The same guy then has to turn around and enter the same changes into the Equibase system... I'm told about 10-15 minutes work start to finish... so that the changes can propagate out onto the Equibase site - which I believe is what the original poster is referring to.

So far NYRA employees have said... and I'm paraphrasing... "Damned if we are going to enter scratches a second time."...

And to date NYRA brass has stood behind that and allowed it to go on.

So what ends up happening is that NYRA scratches and changes appear on the NYRA site first... and sit waiting to be entered into the Equibase System... often as a last resort by an Equibase Chart Caller... who shows up for work in time to cut a chart for R1.

But once the chart caller shows up for work, from that point fwd in the racing day - the chart caller picks up the slack created by track employees who are "resistant"... and keys new changes into the Equibase system as they are announced.

That said, during my own live play I find myself using the Equibase feed... It works for me because I know when to expect to see them posted... because I know what's going on behind the scenes.

Once I see that scratches are in the Equibase feed for tracks that are resisting... I know from that point forward that the chart caller is going to pick up the slack and key in subsequent changes as they are announced.

A player using the Equibase feed early in the day absolutely WILL find that it lags behind other sources that are out there.

However, that same player should also find that there comes a point during the day... ususally by about 5 mtp for R1... where the Equibase feed becomes the single best online source for changes info that there is.

I also know that we at HANA will be pushing to enable tracks to move away from in house scratches and changes systems in favor of using the Equibase system as the single point of entry... the objective being that the track employee keys changes into the Equibase system ONCE... which would then be used as the data source to propagate the changes out everywhere... including onto the track's own website - thereby meeting everybody's needs.

Going forward - a year out - you are very likely to see this model adopted by (I'm hoping) just about ALL of the tracks.

I hope I managed to explain that in a way that makes sense.

-jp

johnhannibalsmith
12-12-2009, 01:43 PM
You couldn't have made any more sense than you did and saved me a lot of typing by explaining the 'chart caller'/track relationship when it comes to changes. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

You nailed everything.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I hope I managed to explain that in a way that makes sense.

Basically the people who are in charge and work for the racetracks are lazy morons who don't give a rats azz about the bettors.

The equibase people are at least trying to help when convenient.

Does that sum it up?

DeanT
12-12-2009, 02:23 PM
ITP is usually one who cuts to the chase :D

Robert Goren
12-12-2009, 02:33 PM
The equibase people are at least trying to help when convenient.

They must have changed their ways in the last 10 minutes.

Tom
12-12-2009, 03:41 PM
So it turns out I was right all along - NYRA is strictly a minor league operation.
The proper response for NYRA, was the second time it happened, fire the idiot who failed to do his job. But NYRA probably promoted him.

I have some resistence, too. I did not play any of the three tracks. Screw them all. If thier employees come ahead of their customers, I want no part them. They can have thier endless parade of NY Bred excuses of races and 5 horse stakes. NYRA is pathetic 90% of the time. I hope OTB bleeds them! :ThmbDown:

Tom
12-12-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.equibase.com/premium/changes/AQU-changes.asp

senortout

These changes added at 12/12/2009 11:02:31 AM Eastern Time

That is not the page. There is one that actually has some utility to it - probably the cause of NYRA ignoring it. I refuse to settle for this back-woods page fro the 1980's.

CBedo
12-12-2009, 03:46 PM
NYRA has their own in house changes reporting system. Someone in NYRA IT is charged with the job responsibility of getting scratches up on the NYRA site. He enters the info into the NYRA system which propagates the changes out onto the NYRA site. Understand that the NYRA system is a closed system... completely separate from the Equibase system.

The same guy then has to turn around and enter the same changes into the Equibase system... I'm told about 10-15 minutes work start to finish... so that the changes can propagate out onto the Equibase site - which I believe is what the original poster is referring to.

So far NYRA employees have said... and I'm paraphrasing... "Damned if we are going to enter scratches a second time."...Although I don't know how truly "closed" NYRA's system is, could it really be that difficult to write some crude interface engine that would export from their system to Equibase so they don't have to do it twice (or probably easier, export from Equibase to their system). If nothing else, they could write a simple scraper to scrape their site's scratches and have it submit them to Equibase.

BillW
12-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Although I don't know how truly "closed" NYRA's system is, could it really be that difficult to write some crude interface engine that would export from their system to Equibase so they don't have to do it twice (or probably easier, export from Equibase to their system). If nothing else, they could write a simple scraper to scrape their site's scratches and have it submit them to Equibase.

Equibase has provided them with a system and training on the interface to enter all of the data you see on the Equibase changes page. All they have to do is use it and use the XML output Equibase provides for free to link back to their own page and display scratches/changes in real time that is maintained during the day free to them by Equibase.

Tom
12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
This is why things never change in this game - lazy incompetence is rewarded by the tracks, generally at all levels. NYRA is slapping their customers in the face by allowing expendable jerks to tell them what they will and will not do.

It puts all their problems into a better focus, IMHO.