PDA

View Full Version : Sourdough Sam

gm10
12-12-2009, 10:15 AM
I saw this horse at Golden Gate Fields two races back. I had a big bet on him, and was more than a bit concerned when I saw him in the 'parade ring'. He looked small and very dull, and I couldn't see how he had earned such a previous speed figure before. The only positive was that the other 2yo's looked just as dull.

But as they were called onto the track, something happened to Sourdough Sam. He got a twinkle in his eye. He looked full of mischief. He had been fooling us deliberately, just to amuse himself. He knew exactly what was about to happen. I had never seen this in a horse - I didn't really believe it either.

The race turned out to be a walk in the park for Sam. He sat very patiently behind the leaders, and picked them up without any problem when asked.

Anyway ...8/5 in race 8 @ GG is a steal if you can get it. A fast horse, and a smart cookie. He will definitely get the distance imo.

egreen
12-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I've seen all three of his races and wouldn't be surprised to see him develop into one of the best 3yos on the west coast. I thought he got a terrible ride last out and should have won that race.

gm10
12-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I've seen all three of his races and wouldn't be surprised to see him develop into one of the best 3yos on the west coast. I thought he got a terrible ride last out and should have won that race.

I'm glad you say that ... I don't know enough about 2yo's in California but he just runs the numbers each time, and he seems to respond very well to whatever the jockey asks.

Stillriledup
12-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Sam is a very 'incorrect' horse, he wings his left front like a windmill, its only a matter of time before this horse goes away because of bad conformation. I wouldnt bet a stone closing sprinter in a route race until he can show he can route successfully.

gm10
12-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Sam is a very 'incorrect' horse, he wings his left front like a windmill, its only a matter of time before this horse goes away because of bad conformation. I wouldnt bet a stone closing sprinter in a route race until he can show he can route successfully.

It didn't have any problems. Just picked them up and went whoosh.
A very smart 2yo.

Ian Meyers
12-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah, he's fast but I have to agree with Stillriledup. He's got a bad way of moving. IMHO he doesn't have a lot of races in those legs.

gm10
12-13-2009, 04:52 AM
Yeah, he's fast but I have to agree with Stillriledup. He's got a bad way of moving. IMHO he doesn't have a lot of races in those legs.

I think he was just getting very tired in the last furlong. The rest of the race, he looked fine.

Stillriledup
12-26-2009, 09:43 PM

Great minds think alike.

picojim
12-26-2009, 09:47 PM
not sure if you guys know about this

Sourdough Sam, Northern California's top 3-year-old prospect, has been sidelined with a shin problem and will not be pointed to the Kentucky Derby, trainer Dean Pederson said.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/109715.html

gm10
12-27-2009, 05:29 AM
not sure if you guys know about this

Sourdough Sam, Northern California's top 3-year-old prospect, has been sidelined with a shin problem and will not be pointed to the Kentucky Derby, trainer Dean Pederson said.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/109715.html

very frustrating :bang:

cj
12-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Just saved the horse from a fruitless Derby campaign.

picojim
08-17-2010, 04:06 PM
came back Sunday and looked great winning a 5 furlong turf race at Santa Rosa

came from far back and was wrapped up at the end

check out the replay...race 3 august 15th santa rosa

macdiarmida
08-18-2010, 02:39 AM
And (obviously) no change to his bad way of going.

You always get some kind of overlay on these types, since horsemen and the handicappers paying attention don't bet these, at least not very much. But the connections will keep running him until his problems catch up to him. An early end to his career is a certainty. Better that it will be some small thing that happens in training, not something that will do in Sourdough running all out during a race.