PDA

View Full Version : if i ran so. cal racing

lamboguy
12-12-2009, 09:46 AM
i turn the santa anita and hollywood meets into strickly turf meets and run 4 days a week. i would make a deal for the horses to use outside facilities to train on conventional dirt and ship in the day of the race. i would raise the every day pusrses by at least 20% and attract horses from all over the continent to run there. i would get rid of the whole stakes program and re-disign it for turf. they are not going to get any kentucky derby winners there any more after the surface change so why bother with the santa anita derby. you must play to your strengths, and for sure they have great turf courses out there.

even with the cutback of one day a week i would think that the total handles will still increase from this move.

fmolf
12-12-2009, 11:29 AM
I agree,I think more and more tracks will go to the 4 day race week.Hopefully they will coordinate within themselves to offer a balanced weekday racing schedule.I do not think all turf racing will get the job done for them.This is like beating a dead horse but all their problems really started with the polytrack mandate.Mr california Doug O'neill has a string of horses at philly park.Thats all anyone needs to know about the poly!last year he sent a small string out here and did not win a race this year he has more horses and is doing very well.Where have all the horses gone?I really do not follow cal. closely at all not since the poly came in.I know Harty has shipped to other tracks,Baffert as well.What became of all the smaller stables?

lamboguy
12-12-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree,I think more and more tracks will go to the 4 day race week.Hopefully they will coordinate within themselves to offer a balanced weekday racing schedule.I do not think all turf racing will get the job done for them.This is like beating a dead horse but all their problems really started with the polytrack mandate.Mr california Doug O'neill has a string of horses at philly park.Thats all anyone needs to know about the poly!last year he sent a small string out here and did not win a race this year he has more horses and is doing very well.Where have all the horses gone?I really do not follow cal. closely at all not since the poly came in.I know Harty has shipped to other tracks,Baffert as well.What became of all the smaller stables?i think what i neglected to say is that there are alot of people that don't like the pollytrack. but there are alot that love turf. they could put on the greatest turf meet in the country if they wanted to. the turf will actually add to the handle and they don't have to do anything special like dig up the track. the only problem they have is that even the guys that have turf horses don't like to train on that stuff. but they can train in places like pomona, and st.louis rey, or even los alamidos. i just offered a very simple sollution to their problem with the surface in that place. i also think they will get more people to go to the track as well. alot of guys that play turf love to look at feet and confirmation.

lamboguy
12-12-2009, 12:11 PM
one more thing i wanted to add, today is opening day at tampa, i have never seen so many happy people for a track to open. when i looked at the card i saw why, full fields and competetive raceing. 10 years ago people would have avoided that place like the plague. things do change.

elksclub
12-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi Guy.

If you ran So.Cal. racing...there would be no So.Cal. racing!!

I mean ,really...come on.

Show Me the Wire
12-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Guy.

If you ran So.Cal. racing...there would be no So.Cal. racing!!

I mean ,really...come on.

:ThmbUp: :lol:

kitts
12-12-2009, 01:54 PM
He could not do any worse than those now in charge

elksclub
12-12-2009, 03:18 PM
:ThmbUp: :lol:

=:>

lamboguy
12-12-2009, 04:02 PM
:ThmbUp: :lol:i hate to tell you this, i almost went to work at santa anita when ABE GOSMAN bought the pear shared reit inthe early 90's. i got a feeling if i was there you would not have 5 horse fields on a saturday.

Stillriledup
12-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Elksie, i'd rather have lambo in charge than what we currently have. At least he would make some kind of effort to change things for the better. Currently, there's zero effort to change, lambo would have effort and that would be a welcome change.

I'd be able to PM him and tell him to get rid of the pot smokers at Hollywood and Santa Anita and he would do it.

elksclub
12-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Elksie, i'd rather have lambo in charge than what we currently have. At least he would make some kind of effort to change things for the better. Currently, there's zero effort to change, lambo would have effort and that would be a welcome change.

I'd be able to PM him and tell him to get rid of the pot smokers at Hollywood and Santa Anita and he would do it.

!!

I'm really only kidding around.

But at the same time...in any situation one perceives as ludicrous, there always is a reason..and so, it may seem so easy to plug yourself into it and make one big swooping change very quickly.

Normally,it just don't work that way.

Maybe I wasn't kidding.

elksclub
12-12-2009, 04:41 PM
He could not do any worse than those now in charge

And you know this....how?

Only a thought......don't answer.

Stillriledup
12-12-2009, 04:42 PM
And you know this....how?

Only a thought......don't answer.

Because its at rock bottom now, only way to go is up.

elksclub
12-12-2009, 06:22 PM

I should have said no one should answer.

Phooey.

Anyhoo..rock bottom is no racing at all;out of the biz.So, yes....someone has room to really muck it up.

Stillriledup
12-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I should have said no one should answer.

Phooey.

Anyhoo..rock bottom is no racing at all;out of the biz.So, yes....someone has room to really muck it up.

Free means free elksie! :lol:

elksclub
12-12-2009, 07:18 PM
I like a joke even if it's me...but ah don't get it.

how cliche
12-13-2009, 01:45 AM
My suggestion: 4 days a week in SoCal. 3 days a week in NoCal. AllCal dark from the day after The Breeders' Cup to New Years' Day. Dead serious, and CA is all I wager on.

Show Me the Wire
12-13-2009, 01:53 AM
The majority of the races would not be F/M races, especially young and cheap.

I am beginning to wonder if the trainers don't want to train male horses.

fmolf
12-13-2009, 07:09 AM

nobody wants to train horses in cal. on the poly.O'neill sent a string of good runners to Philly and is doing well there.That should say it all.That would be like Contessa shipping half his stable to Turf paradise!
At least Lambo is trying to come up with creative ideas tio help racing in socal.Although if he were their since 91 he might be just like the rest of them by now! :lol:
If only the socal racing officials could see the passion that their loyal fans have for their racing and how pained they are by its gross mismanagement!Perhaps if they just could do something cutting edge and radical along the lines of what Lambo said.I would right off the bat race only 4 days sat. thru tues. they'd be the only tier one racing mon./tues ,just another idea, along with lowering takeouts on some bets ala Tampa!

Jackal
12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
PHA has larger purses than any track in CA for claimers and allowance horses. Low end claimers really get screwed in CA. Yet these largely ignored races are the back bone of any racing card.

onefast99
12-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Lambo your idea isn't a bad one but right now the economy is dictating the size of the fields. I have seen more trainers involved in horse ownership this year I don't know if the owners have said hey cut my bills and the trainers said ok give me a part of the horse, but something has changed!

Quackfan
12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
i turn the santa anita and hollywood meets into strickly turf meets and run 4 days a week. i would make a deal for the horses to use outside facilities to train on conventional dirt and ship in the day of the race. i would raise the every day pusrses by at least 20% and attract horses from all over the continent to run there. i would get rid of the whole stakes program and re-disign it for turf. they are not going to get any kentucky derby winners there any more after the surface change so why bother with the santa anita derby. you must play to your strengths, and for sure they have great turf courses out there.

even with the cutback of one day a week i would think that the total handles will still increase from this move.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why not just go back to dirt??????

johnhannibalsmith
12-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Any correlation to the mass detox from equipoise/winstrol?

Show Me the Wire
12-14-2009, 01:27 PM
johnhannibalsmith

Interesting POV.

fmolf:

The reason for my :lol: about lambo is that he is on the record that the Japanese model is the answer. When I asked him why, I never recieved a reply. Come to find out the Japanese tracks are in trouble too :bang:

castaway01
12-14-2009, 01:27 PM

No, he definitely would do worse...

lamboguy
12-14-2009, 02:18 PM
No, he definitely would do worse...where have you been? we have all missed your very informative posts! you have probably been to busy at the mutual windows collecting the money you said you were going to be us out of.

Show Me the Wire
12-14-2009, 02:42 PM

I understand it is fun to opine. And it would be nice to tell us the reasoning.

So with that in mind, why would you think your above proposal would solve anything and not make matters worse. Basically, the only legitimate idea is to reduce the racing dates, which is a proven tactic.

How does turf improve the quality of racing? The lesser horses traditionlly run on turf, as many will tell you dirt is king.

There really are not that many turf horses, so why would you want to lessen the pool of turf horses for the rest of the country, by enticing lessser quality horses to your track?

Turf racing will not immensly benefit the local or national breeding industry as people will want the dream of winning the KD and other T.C. races that are contested on the dirt.

I am on the side your idea is more injurious, except for the reduction of race days.

Additionally, eleiminating any stakes program hurts breeding, as one of the selling points is stakes potential.

lamboguy
12-14-2009, 02:56 PM
I understand it is fun to opine. And it would be nice to tell us the reasoning.

So with that in mind, why would you think your above proposal would solve anything and not make matters worse. Basically, the only legitimate idea is to reduce the racing dates, which is a proven tactic.

How does turf improve the quality of racing? The lesser horses traditionlly run on turf, as many will tell you dirt is king.

There really are not that many turf horses, so why would you want to lessen the pool of turf horses for the rest of the country, by enticing lessser quality horses to your track?

Turf racing will not immensly benefit the local or national breeding industry as people will want the dream of winning the KD and other T.C. races that are contested on the dirt.

I am on the side your idea is more injurious, except for the reduction of race days.

Additionally, eleiminating any stakes program hurts breeding, as one of the selling points is stakes potential.
i think that california racing has hit an impass with the synthetic surface. most owners don't want to take horses that trained in florida as yearlings n conventional surface and switch and risk a top prospect on synthetic. turf racing is huge internationally and would attract the better turf horses. i have seen some sucessfull all turf meets like colonial downs and rockingham park. people tend to bet more on turf because of larger fields and more random results with larger payoffs. as you have seen if a horse does not like synthetic they will never run well on it no matter how good the horse is. so even if the synthetic is a safer surface which i highly doubt, you are not going to be able to attract large fields of horses in california. since i don't expect the state to allow so. cal racing to switch back to conventional i came up with the next best thing. the turf courses out there are great and have attracted great turf racing in the past, i suspect it will do even better if they run all turf meets. its just a suggestion not really the best solution to the problem.

Show Me the Wire
12-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I guess that would be okay if you ran three week meet, once a year.

FYI, California grass courses are not the best. The are very hard and detrimental to the horses feet. If I had a decent turf horse, I would avoid a steady diet of California rock hard turf. The best turf courses are in Kentucky, Arlington and the East Coast.

BlueShoe
12-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Remove artificial surfaces and restore to all dirt tracks.
Reduction in the mutuel takeout rates.
Four day 4-10 schedule Friday to Monday.
Start of Friday and Monday cards as late as possible so as to finish by sunset.
Shorten intervals between races.
Expand simulcast schedule and eliminate partial cards from out of state.
Reduce the purses for graded stakes and eliminate some.
Increase overnight purses from the funds from the reduced stakes events.
Create new tax incentives and writeoffs for owners and breeders.
Create a non paying advisory position on the CHRB from an organization such as HANA to look after the interests of racetrack patrons.

onefast99
12-14-2009, 07:21 PM
I guess that would be okay if you ran three week meet, once a year.

FYI, California grass courses are not the best. The are very hard and detrimental to the horses feet. If I had a decent turf horse, I would avoid a steady diet of California rock hard turf. The best turf courses are in Kentucky, Arlington and the East Coast.
The turf at Gulfstream gets very hard Atlantic City is the best they keep it nice and high.

lamboguy
12-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Remove artificial surfaces and restore to all dirt tracks.
Reduction in the mutuel takeout rates.
Four day 4-10 schedule Friday to Monday.
Start of Friday and Monday cards as late as possible so as to finish by sunset.
Shorten intervals between races.
Expand simulcast schedule and eliminate partial cards from out of state.
Reduce the purses for graded stakes and eliminate some.
Increase overnight purses from the funds from the reduced stakes events.
Create new tax incentives and writeoffs for owners and breeders.
Create a non paying advisory position on the CHRB from an organization such as HANA to look after the interests of racetrack patrons.your ideas are much better than mine. the only problem is they make alot of sense and those people out there like to do crazy things.
the only thing we can agree on here is that california racing has gone downhill and needs a change to keep up with the times.

Show Me the Wire
12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Unforunately Cali racing is keeping up with the times as racing, as a whole is going dowwn hill.

fmolf
12-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Unforunately Cali racing is keeping up with the times as racing, as a whole is going dowwn hill.
Maybe california should to an all night schedule 4 nights 8 races a night...each night a different promotion sat. nite $1 beers & dogs...sun night another promotion etc...etc... each night would also have one bet at a very reduced takeout rate.Thurs. nite all p3,s 10% takeout...fri night ex's...sat nite p4's.... sun nite tri's....all at 10% takeout.

Dan H
12-14-2009, 08:35 PM
After you change Santa Anita and Hollywood into Lambo Downs, what do you do with Del Mar?

fmolf
12-14-2009, 09:15 PM
After you change Santa Anita and Hollywood into Lambo Downs, what do you do with Del Mar?
lambo mar...where the cheese meets the seas.... :lol:

Gary~G1
12-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Why not run the Del Mar meet in the winter. Stop going against saratoga and they would get the east coast vacation crowd.

BlueShoe
12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Why not run the Del Mar meet in the winter. Stop going against saratoga and they would get the east coast vacation crowd.
Wont work,would be a huge flop.In fall 1967 they ran a 20 day meet.Handle and attendance were less than half that of the summer meeting.While the population base in the area is much larger now, plus simulcasting, without the traditional summer crowds it would be a reach to expect an off season meeting to fly.

Show Me the Wire
12-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I would institute a sliding scale for purses, more money for larger fields (min. 8 horses) and less for smaller fields. A five or four horse field should not compete for the same purse money as larger fields.

I would scale back to a 4 day meet and maintain the 8 race format for weekdays and mainly a 9 race format on weekends, while increasing the daily purse.

This would increase handle as people enjoy wagering on larger fields.