PDA

View Full Version : Winter Harness Betting

badcompany
12-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Not much that interests me, this time of year.

I prefer 1/2 mile speed favoring tracks, and most of them close for the winter: Batavia, Saratoga Harness, Harringtion.

The one that do run, I can't stand: Pompano which I think is 5/8, Northfield and Maywood.

That pretty much just leaves Yonkers.

SchagFactorToWin
12-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Same here. This is my first year betting Yonkers. I have a lot fewer picks this month but that's mostly becasue of the increase in shippers. Does this happen every year at this time at Yonkers?

LottaKash
12-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I usually pay "Extra Attention" (on all size tracks), to all lightly raced horses and more importantly to horses that are "Fresh"...and are showing good energy in their qualifiers and comeback races...Especially so with trainers who do well off of layoffs and claims....Most of the other races are swollen with tired racehorses at this time of the year...

Also at this time of year (Nov & Dec) I pay extra attention to young horses (3's & 4yo's) espcially the 3yo's as they get an added allowance in claiming races....I watch for 3yo's (4yo's a little) dropping in claiming price, or going into claimers for the first time, as they get a 50% allowance on price (4yo's 25%)....A 3yo dropping into a $15K claimer, will have to be claimed for $22.5....And, they will lose that generous allowance at the end of the year, and will have to be boosted in price & class to keep their value...It pays to pay attention to these details at this time of the year...

best,

DeanT
12-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Do you play on PTC Bad Co.? If so you would like Western Fair. Some good stock (esp on Monday's with a 14k preferred) and post positions and speed matter a lot there. It is a fairly flat half mile track, unlike Flammy and Northfield.

badcompany
12-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Same here. This is my first year betting Yonkers. I have a lot fewer picks this month but that's mostly becasue of the increase in shippers. Does this happen every year at this time at Yonkers?

Actually, this is new because most of those shippers are from Chester which is a new track. The smaller tracks I mentioned don't have the kind of animals that could compete at Yonkers.

Sea Biscuit
12-11-2009, 11:32 PM
I usually pay "Extra Attention" (on all size tracks), to all lightly raced horses and more importantly to horses that are "Fresh"...and are showing good energy in their qualifiers and comeback races...Especially so with trainers who do well off of layoffs and claims....Most of the other races are swollen with tired racehorses at this time of the year...

Also at this time of year (Nov & Dec) I pay extra attention to young horses (3's & 4yo's) espcially the 3yo's as they get an added allowance in claiming races....I watch for 3yo's (4yo's a little) dropping in claiming price, or going into claimers for the first time, as they get a 50% allowance on price (4yo's 25%)....A 3yo dropping into a $15K claimer, will have to be claimed for $22.5....And, they will lose that generous allowance at the end of the year, and will have to be boosted in price & class to keep their value...It pays to pay attention to these details at this time of the year...

best,

Thanks John. All good points.

Is that a general rule I mean about the allowances or does that vary from track to track or US vs Canada.

Sea Biscuit

badcompany
12-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Do you play on PTC Bad Co.? If so you would like Western Fair. Some good stock (esp on Monday's with a 14k preferred) and post positions and speed matter a lot there. It is a fairly flat half mile track, unlike Flammy and Northfield.

Nah, no ADW accounts. Say what you want about NYC OTB but at least I can get my money, in cash, immediately.

That said, the track does look up my alley, but don't Canadian tracks have an absurdly high takeout?