PDA

View Full Version : How can Vic repeat what the stewards tell him to say with a straight face?

InsideThePylons-MW
12-10-2009, 07:13 PM
7th race Hol

4 makes a left hand turn 100 yds out of gate almost knocking down 1 and 3.

It's a 4 horse field so 5 wins the race, 3 runs 2nd, 4 is third and 1 a distant 4th.

It was 100% without a doubt obvious that 4 fouled 1 and 3 badly.

If you watch the replay closely, you can see 1 bobble to where she clipped heels, banged a leg, grabbed a quarter, etc.

Judges said 1 was fouled but because 1 was beaten badly (10 lengths?) there is no change.

So let me get this straight.........A horse can foul another horse at the start, possibly hurt the other horse, but so long as the fouled horse doesn't race good the rest of the way there will be no change?

If 1 would have pulled up due to the foul, would 4 have come down?

WTF is going on with CA racing?

Total incompetence!

cj
12-10-2009, 07:52 PM
California racing, especially Southern Cal, is the laughing stock of the sport right now. They were very close to canceling a Saturday card due to lack of interest from horsemen.

cj
12-10-2009, 08:32 PM
According to the chart, "The stewards conducted an inquiry into the incident in the early running but made no change when they ruled SEEDLESS overreacted to some outside pressure past the three quarter mile pole".

Stillriledup
12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I actually like the No call on this one. Just pay off the winners and let the administrative stuff happen behind the scenes.

Show Me the Wire
12-10-2009, 09:02 PM
California racing, especially Southern Cal, is the laughing stock of the sport right now. They were very close to canceling a Saturday card due to lack of interest from horsemen.

After today's events I agree.

v j stauffer
12-10-2009, 09:03 PM

That is totally untrue. At no point was the Saturday card in danger of being cancelled.

tunasteve
12-10-2009, 09:13 PM
It may not have been in danger of cancellation, but in order to keep the card from being scrapped they had to go with three fields of 5 and three 6s - and needed an extra day to fill at that. Would an early weekday card have survived with such light interest from horsemen?

Saratoga_Mike
12-10-2009, 09:17 PM
That is totally untrue. At no point was the Saturday card in danger of being cancelled.

CJ would never post an untruth - he's a moderator and there aren't many of those.

v j stauffer
12-10-2009, 09:35 PM
CJ would never post an untruth - he's a moderator and there aren't many of those.

You're right he's royalty. Incorrect is a better word.

bigmack
12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
SEEDLESS overreacted to some outside pressure past the three quarter mile pole".
Outside pressure? She was the outside and with her left turn made no inside very quickly for everyone. The 1 had to do a complete 'Hi-Ho-Silver'.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/12_10_09_18_29_11.png

InsideThePylons-MW
12-10-2009, 09:49 PM
I actually like the No call on this one. Just pay off the winners and let the administrative stuff happen behind the scenes.

I think a vast majority would like no calls every time unless the foul is intentional.

But, that's not the rules.

If the 1 was Zenyatta and after being obviously fouled very hard by the 4, would they have taken the 4 down?

If your answer is yes, then the judges are incompetent.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-10-2009, 09:52 PM
According to the chart, "The stewards conducted an inquiry into the incident in the early running but made no change when they ruled SEEDLESS overreacted to some outside pressure past the three quarter mile pole".

It looks like the chart caller couldn't repeat what the stewards thought so he made up something that makes absolutely no sense which keeps his job safe.

Spalding No!
12-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Easy now...he might just have his dates mixed up...

Maybe we just need to tell him its December, not April.

v j stauffer
12-10-2009, 09:53 PM
It looks like the chart caller couldn't repeat what the stewards thought so he made up something that makes absolutely no sense which keeps his job safe.

That's exactly what the stewards said.

Saratoga_Mike
12-10-2009, 09:54 PM
That was criminal. The 4 obviously should have been taken down.

rrbauer
12-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Right Vic. Two horses makes a race good to go in LA LA land. Must be really tough duty calling all those races with short fields. I guess the pay is the same regardless.

InsideThePylons-MW
12-10-2009, 10:00 PM
That's exactly what the stewards said.

Was it a unanimous vote or 2-1?

Tom
12-10-2009, 10:06 PM

Try prunes. Might get that bug out.

v j stauffer
12-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Was it a unanimous vote or 2-1?

Good question. Don't know.

Saratoga_Mike
12-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Try prunes. Might get that bug out.

Try not living on here 24/7.

cj
12-10-2009, 10:45 PM

I was just repeating what the owner of this board posted. He has never lied to us in over what, 10 years now?

If he was mistaken, there was obviously big trouble filling the card. The PPs weren't out until very late. They were very slow, even by SoCal's "worst in the country" standards for getting PPs out to the public.

cj
12-10-2009, 10:47 PM
You're right he's royalty. Incorrect is a better word.

Bite me.

Now, before everyone gets in a huff that is a little inside joke I'm sure Vic gets. Now, Vic does work for Hollywood Park, so I wouldn't expect him to say anything negative and I'll take his denials with a grain of salt. He might even believe them.

One thing we do know is if he finds out he is wrong, we will not get a retraction.

juanepstein
12-10-2009, 10:52 PM
http://www.medicaltextbooksrevealed.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/rick-astley.jpg

johnhannibalsmith
12-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Isn't that the guy that sang "Never Gonna Give You Up, Never Gonna Let You Down, Never Gonna Runaround and something something something..."?????

keilan
12-11-2009, 12:23 AM
7th race Hol

4 makes a left hand turn 100 yds out of gate almost knocking down 1 and 3.

It's a 4 horse field so 5 wins the race, 3 runs 2nd, 4 is third and 1 a distant 4th.

It was 100% without a doubt obvious that 4 fouled 1 and 3 badly.

If you watch the replay closely, you can see 1 bobble to where she clipped heels, banged a leg, grabbed a quarter, etc.

Judges said 1 was fouled but because 1 was beaten badly (10 lengths?) there is no change.

So let me get this straight.........A horse can foul another horse at the start, possibly hurt the other horse, but so long as the fouled horse doesn't race good the rest of the way there will be no change?

If 1 would have pulled up due to the foul, would 4 have come down?

WTF is going on with CA racing?

Total incompetence!

Watch the head on and view the 5 horse (Tenacious Tina) get dangerously close to the 4 horse (Seedless) thus compromising her pathway causing Seedless to veer sharply towards the rail causing the jocks of the 1 and 2 horses to rein in suddenly.

As it turned out it was a three horse race, imo the stewards really had a difficult decision to make - take down the easy 2/5 wire to wire winner and post a new order of finish 3-4-1 would surely have caused all kinds of rants from the public or declare that there will be no change to the order of finish!!

The stewards imo took the path of least resistances and let the race stand. I've seen worse calls at most tracks over 30 years.

ranchwest
12-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Watch the head on and view the 5 horse (Tenacious Tina) get dangerously close to the 4 horse (Seedless) thus compromising her pathway causing Seedless to veer sharply towards the rail causing the jocks of the 1 and 2 horses to rein in suddenly.

As it turned out it was a three horse race, imo the stewards really had a difficult decision to make - take down the easy 2/5 wire to wire winner and post a new order of finish 3-4-1 would surely have caused all kinds of rants from the public or declare that there will be no change to the order of finish!!

The stewards imo took the path of least resistances and let the race stand. I've seen worse calls at most tracks over 30 years.

Wow, that's soothing.

keilan
12-11-2009, 12:34 AM
What don't you understand? Did you watch the replay?

ranchwest
12-11-2009, 12:43 AM
What don't you understand? Did you watch the replay?

With all of the horrific calls I've seen, someone telling me that a call is not the worst just doesn't trip my trigger, regardless of what call is under discussion. What don't you understand about that?

keilan
12-11-2009, 12:56 AM
With all of the horrific calls I've seen, someone telling me that a call is not the worst just doesn't trip my trigger, regardless of what call is under discussion. What don't you understand about that?

Life isn't black or white, sometimes people watching the same race can't discern who was at fault or what predicated the incident. It might be helpful if you wanted to partake in the discussion if you at least watched the race, then follow with a comment.

Cardus
12-11-2009, 01:27 AM

When I spoke to Privman yesterday, he told me the exact opposite.

proximity
12-11-2009, 02:05 AM
One thing we do know is if he finds out he is wrong, we will not get a retraction.

:lol:

now this line actually deserves an eclipse award!! best closing line of a post in 2009!!

exiles
12-11-2009, 02:22 AM

Still CA racing is w/ out question the laughing stock of the country.

ranchwest
12-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Life isn't black or white, sometimes people watching the same race can't discern who was at fault or what predicated the incident. It might be helpful if you wanted to partake in the discussion if you at least watched the race, then follow with a comment.

I didn't state whether I had watched the race or not. I guess you get your exercise jumping to conclusions.

v j stauffer
12-11-2009, 09:36 AM
When I spoke to Privman yesterday, he told me the exact opposite.

I'd rather kiss a buffalo's balls than speak to Privman.

senortout
12-11-2009, 09:45 AM
look, I bet the 5-4 exacta straight, and have absolutely no objection to the stewards ruling or lack thereof.

My take on the race....I was wrong about the relative abilities of the 4 and the 3, simple as that.

So, I paid for my judgment call. Should have keyed the 5 with both but too slim pickins at those odds.

senortout

cj
12-11-2009, 10:06 AM
I'd rather kiss a buffalo's balls than speak to Privman.

The buffalo would rather talk to Privman.

Show Me the Wire
12-11-2009, 11:00 AM
What if it was a female buffalo? You still think the buffalo would rather talk to Privman? :eek:

johnhannibalsmith
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
The Buffalo has balls damnit! Pay attention! :D

Show Me the Wire
12-11-2009, 11:26 AM
The Buffalo has balls damnit! Pay attention! :D

Oh we we are talking about a specific buffalo? I thought cj meant any buffalo would rather kiss Privman.

My confusion arises form the perception buffalos can't physically perform such acts upon themselves, unlike dogs. Can they?

cj
12-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I was just repeating what the owner of this board posted. He has never lied to us in over what, 10 years now?

If he was mistaken, there was obviously big trouble filling the card. The PPs weren't out until very late. They were very slow, even by SoCal's "worst in the country" standards for getting PPs out to the public.

Still no final for Saturday, and nothing for Sunday. It can't be the weather on an all weather course, can it?

Maybe they can start running mules, appys, and paints like the fairs!

Tom
12-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Didn't they scratch Lava Man because the AWS might get wet? :lol:

cj
12-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Still no Sunday card. Greyhounds anyone?

tunasteve
12-11-2009, 04:25 PM
4 more 5 horse fields for Hollywood on Sunday...

JustRalph
12-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Add three beers a piece to this thread and move it to a bar and it would be a Hoot!!
:lol:

trying2win
12-11-2009, 05:02 PM

CJ:

I agree with the first sentence in your post here. I was wondering about what's the reason for so many short fields at HOL the last couple of days, especially today. Does the management at HOL have GOOD SOUND REASONS, or only REASONS THAT SOUND GOOD? I suspect the latter.

I also find that in my experience, regular handicapping doesn't work on the major Southern California thoroughbred tracks. I found it a waste of time and money going that route. I'm trying something unorthodox lately if I can find a bettable race at HOL. No bets today though. Too many short fields is the main reason.

In my opinion, there is one exception though for the 'laughing stock' part of Southern California racing. That being betting on the quarter horse races LOS ALAMITOS. I prefer wagering on them compared to the 'laughing stock' thoroughbred racing of Southern or Northern California.

T2W

Greyfox
12-11-2009, 05:33 PM
CJ:

I also find that in my experience, regular handicapping doesn't work on the major Southern California thoroughbred tracks.
T2W

Regular handicapping works there for me. But like you, I refuse to play short fields.

Mike_412
12-11-2009, 05:51 PM
It amazes me how far SoCal racing has fallen from when I 1st started playing the horses and that was only 12 years ago. The races aren't the slight bit interesting and are completely unplayable for me recently.

I hope they do something, anything to help out the situation. What that may be though, I have no idea.

illinoisbred
12-11-2009, 05:55 PM
It amazes me how far SoCal racing has fallen from when I 1st started playing the horses and that was only 12 years ago. The races aren't the slight bit interesting and are completely unplayable for me recently.

I hope they do something, anything to help out the situation. What that may be though, I have no idea.
I agree. They seem to be running on life-support[reputation] and that tank is almost empty.

PaceAdvantage
12-11-2009, 11:21 PM
That is totally untrue. At no point was the Saturday card in danger of being cancelled.That wasn't the word I heard from folks in the industry who were waiting on Hollywood for what seemed an eternity...

cj
12-11-2009, 11:28 PM
That wasn't the word I heard from folks in the industry who were waiting on Hollywood for what seemed an eternity...

I'm sure the minute to minute details are shared with the track announcer.