PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood struggling to fill Saturday card

PaceAdvantage
12-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Word was they were going to cancel...but it seems they are going to fight to the end to try and fill the card....

All Hail Artificial Racing Surfaces!!!

slew101
12-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Friday's card is unreal.

3 races with 5 horses
3 races with 6 horses
2 races with 10 horses

And this is before scratches.

TheStageIsSet
12-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Word was they were going to cancel...but it seems they are going to fight to the end to try and fill the card....

PA,when will hollywood close?The property was bought,its been a rumor for a while....

Stillriledup
12-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Owners dont want to run for purses that aren't slots fueled. If i was a t bred owner, i'd be running at a slots track.

But, that's just me i guess.

Linny
12-10-2009, 04:08 PM
They need NY breds! Aqueduct has full fields. :D

illinoisbred
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Hey, take a page out of Hawthorne's condition book-NW of a race on Synthetic.

Bochall
12-10-2009, 04:19 PM
As Nelson Muntz, the bully on The Simpsons, would say," Haaaaaaaaaaa ha!"

DeanT
12-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Owners dont want to run for purses that aren't slots fueled. If i was a t bred owner, i'd be running at a slots track.

:ThmbUp: Offer $65k MSW's like Woodbine does and owners and trainers would race their horses on chocolate pudding. It's all about the cash.

Stillriledup
12-10-2009, 04:32 PM
:ThmbUp: Offer $65k MSW's like Woodbine does and owners and trainers would race their horses on chocolate pudding. It's all about the cash.

Exactly.

cj
12-10-2009, 04:37 PM

I was wondering why the card isn't up anywhere yet. Maybe it is just a strike against Lava Man returning.

BillW
12-10-2009, 04:51 PM
They need NY breds! Aqueduct has full fields. :D

But average less that HOL :D

cj
12-10-2009, 04:54 PM
The card is up. Three 5 horse fields and three 6 horse fields before scratches. What an ugly Saturday card. I wonder if they'll still charge admission!

joanied
12-10-2009, 06:05 PM
I was wondering why the card isn't up anywhere yet. Maybe it is just a strike against Lava Man returning.

:lol:

Stillriledup
12-10-2009, 06:06 PM
The card is up. Three 5 horse fields and three 6 horse fields before scratches. What an ugly Saturday card. I wonder if they'll still charge admission!

Yes, 8 dollars for admission but there's a giveaway! All the second hand marijuana smoke you can inhale for free! Like an all you can eat buffet!

joanied
12-10-2009, 06:06 PM

Running on chocolate pudding would be safer than Hollywood's surface of late...
:D :faint: :D

Igeteven
12-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Today, Hollywood Park put on the worst card I have ever seen here in S. California, tomorrow is about the same.

Are the Trainers sending message?

v j stauffer
12-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Today, Hollywood Park put on the worst card I have ever seen here in S. California, tomorrow is about the same.

Are the Trainers sending message?

The weather and the economy are sending a message.

Igeteven
12-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Vic

I hope you are right on that one,

Lester

Tom
12-10-2009, 10:03 PM
When will someone GET the message - start cutting days - duh.
I'll help them out - I refuse to play crappy race days - haven't played anything in California outside the BC in over a year - don't miss it a bit.
Ditto NYRA...don't need these "past their prime" tracks running on reputation instead of quality.

Stillriledup
12-11-2009, 03:44 AM
The weather and the economy are sending a message.

Bad weather report hurt Hollywood on Thursday. The previous night, rain was expected to start at noon, but they changed the forecast the next day, but people had already planned on not attending.

I dont' like the economy excuse, i think part of the reason is that there's no slots fueled purses. The barns would be overloaded with horses if the purses were packed with slot machine money.

DanG
12-11-2009, 07:26 AM
The housing market, agriculture, international trade and tourism, the entertainment industry, auto dealers, furniture and building supply stores...etc...

All of these major industries and MANY more have suffered greatly in California and I believe very few of them have gone to cushion track. Just how So Cal’s handle has stayed this high is remarkable to me given all their internal issues.

RichieP
12-11-2009, 07:31 AM
When will someone GET the message - start cutting days - duh.

There it is! :ThmbUp:

PLEASE will the powers that be out there listen to this man

Show Me the Wire
12-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Management embraces the concept of cutting days. In fact management would rather have no live racing and merchandise simulacasting to the public.

The horsemen put up resistance to less racing days and fewer purse opportunitiies.

Tom
12-11-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm sure the horsemen love 5 horse fields.

levinmpa
12-11-2009, 11:48 AM
It seems we get this every year toward the end of both Hollywood meetings. In the Spring/Summer, everyone wants to get down to Del Mar. Hollywood really needs to shorten this Fall meeting by at least a week, and go to a 4 day week after Thanksgiving. It was an excellent meeting up until the conclusion of the Fall Turf Festival. The problem is that with Santa Anita's winter meeting opening on the 26th, many owners and trainers just prefer to wait, and run for a larger purse.

Show Me the Wire
12-11-2009, 11:58 AM
It seems we get this every year toward the end of both Hollywood meetings. In the Spring/Summer, everyone wants to get down to Del Mar. Hollywood really needs to shorten this Fall meeting by at least a week, and go to a 4 day week after Thanksgiving. It was an excellent meeting up until the conclusion of the Fall Turf Festival. The problem is that with Santa Anita's winter meeting opening on the 26th, many owners and trainers just prefer to wait, and run for a larger purse.

All that is true. However, which group would be more adverse to running four days instead of five, management or horsemen?

lamboguy
12-11-2009, 12:16 PM
The weather and the economy are sending a message.the economy isn't going to stop tampa, they will be up in handle this upcoming meet, why don't you blame the guys that swindled the race tracks to put in the synthetic.

Show Me the Wire
12-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Isn't Gulfstream Tampa's competition? Gulfstream is a dirt track, so why does Tampa fill its card with another "dirt" track available on the same circuit?

Maybe the reason for Tampa's cards is about the purse structure and types of horse Tampa caters too and not the surface.

rwwupl
12-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm sure the horsemen love 5 horse fields.

Race cards should be put on to draw the customers first, not themselves.

The following is from a current article by the Paulick Report :

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/anyone-willing-to-save-ca-racing/

Excerpt:

Lately, however, the Hollywood Park fall meeting merely serves as a reminder of how tired and old horse racing has become in Southern California as it limps to the end of the racing year.

Perhaps we should count our blessings that Hollywood Park is still in business, given its present ownership by a land development company that has a wrecking ball at the ready as soon as it can obtain financing. Its caretaker management team, led by Jack Liebau, who turned Bay Meadows in Northern California into a useless pile of rubble, is doing little more than going through the motions, knowing the end is near. Can they really be blamed? The track is on life support, with Liebau playing the role of assisted suicide doctor Jack Kevorkian, aka Dr. Death.

DanG
12-11-2009, 01:04 PM
the economy isn't going to stop tampa, they will be up in handle this upcoming meet, why don't you blame the guys that swindled the race tracks to put in the synthetic.

TBD was affected; just as so many businesses have been. One drive around this community the last couple years and the evidence is obvious.

DRF: http://www.drf.com/news/article/109475.html

For much of the last decade, business at Tampa Bay Downs has been on the upswing. But last year, with the economy struggling, betting slipped about 2.5 percent to $3.9 million a day.

toussaud
12-11-2009, 02:42 PM
what is the point of having AWS if you are still going to not run/scratch when it rains?

cj
12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I hope a few were lucky to catch the longest priced winner of the day at Hollywood in the 2nd today. 2 to 1 is better than a blackjack.

rgustafson
12-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I wonder if that $80.60 pay out for 6 of 6 in the pick six might have been an all time SoCal low? What if you were silly enough to put in a big ticket and missed one race? No problem. 5 of 6 brought you back $5.80, but of course you probably had it three or four times.:D

tzipi
12-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Every field today is about 4 or 5 horses with the scratches. Horrible. I don't know how people are going out there to bet those fields. 1st race you have a 9-5,6-5,5-2,9-2 and a 35-1. 1 min to post.
Just feels like the races are crapshoots too because with so little horses,the pace gets mixed up.