PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Moment of the Year...

joanied
12-10-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.ntra.com/top10moments.aspx

At least one time every year, race fans get to vote on something:jump: ...

thought it might be fun for us to voice our votes right here...

I beleive Zenyatta's Classic win will probably get the nod...but considering the impact it had...like a punch to the stomach...the 'oh,myGod' moment...it should go to Calvin & Mine That Bird's Derby win.

:) :) :)

PaceAdvantage
12-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Nice way to split the Rachel vote between three different races...yeah...she's got a shot to win that thing....:lol:

wisconsin
12-10-2009, 08:11 PM
"......and coming through on the inside, that is, umm, Mine That Bird...Mine That Bird from last....Mine That Bird is going to win the Kentucly Der.....An impossible result here........."

Darn near left Tom Durkin speechless! :eek:

TJDave
12-10-2009, 08:40 PM
If fans voted for Slew in '02 then I would hope that Bobby gets some votes. :rolleyes:

And this RA vs Z thing is getting ridiculous. How can anyone not love both these girls?

elksclub
12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Not the point..would think most do.

They would simply liked to have seen them run in the same race

It's not that hard,really.

keithw84
12-10-2009, 08:51 PM
RA has 4 moments and no one else has more than one... Seems to suggest who had the most spectacular campaign...

Now that I've opened that can of worms, make sure you vote for your favorite moment!

PaceAdvantage
12-10-2009, 08:55 PM
RA has 4 moments and no one else has more than one... FOUR? I thought I counted three...you mean I missed one? :lol:

TJDave
12-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Now that I've opened that can of worms, make sure you vote for your favorite moment!

I did.

Her Oaks win. ;)

Damn shame that Bobby wasn't even mentioned.

joanied
12-10-2009, 09:02 PM
RA has 4 moments and no one else has more than one... Seems to suggest who had the most spectacular campaign...

Oh, please...let's not open that can...we have enough opened now:D ...

This is for the MOMENT of the year...it has nothing to do with who had a better campaign, who is best, yadda, yadda...it is for a defining moment ( like the year Charismatic broke down in the Belmont and the winning moment was Chris Antley holding his leg up) and we know that RA had several moments, Z had one...so I assume that is why they have RA as 4 seperate moments...

but, again...because of the huge impact it had...at that moment...I think Mine That Bird's Derby win is THE moment, and gets my vote!

joanied
12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Nice way to split the Rachel vote between three different races...yeah...she's got a shot to win that thing....:lol:

Of course she has a shot, PA...you just need to choose which of her moments is the best one...and cast your vote;)

joanied
12-10-2009, 09:07 PM
I did.

Her Oaks win. ;)

Damn shame that Bobby wasn't even mentioned.

What am I missing here:confused:

TJDave
12-10-2009, 09:22 PM
What am I missing here:confused:

I consider Robert Frankel's death to be a defining moment...At least as much as Seattle Slew's.

Maybe it's just me. :rolleyes:

Cratos
12-11-2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.ntra.com/top10moments.aspx

At least one time every year, race fans get to vote on something:jump: ...

thought it might be fun for us to voice our votes right here...

I beleive Zenyatta's Classic win will probably get the nod...but considering the impact it had...like a punch to the stomach...the 'oh,myGod' moment...it should go to Calvin & Mine That Bird's Derby win.

This is a very close vote for me, but I vote Zenyatta’s BC Classic win as “2009 Moment of the Year” in a very close vote over Rachel Alexandra’s Preakness win because of the spectacular way in which Zenyatta won the Classic.

Rachel’s Woodward win gets consideration because of her toughness in that race, but winning at 1 3/16th miles against the Derby winner is very special and momentous.

joanied
12-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I consider Robert Frankel's death to be a defining moment...At least as much as Seattle Slew's.

Well, I don't know what Bobby's death has to do with that of Slew's....and I was a little confused because Bobby isn't on their list...but yes, I agree, his passing is a defining moment...we lost one of the great trainers of all time (IMO)...and I am among the many that have been profoundly effected by his death...and I am still mourning him...I am still trying to understand it...I ask myself, "why" everyday...I knew him way back when, in NY... and I still cannot beleive he is gone.

CA. was quick to name a race for Zenyatta...I think it's time now for them to name one for Bobby.

elksclub
12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Not sure he knows what he is talking about, but then Stauffer Foods could be more than one person here.

joanied
12-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Not sure he knows what he is talking about, but then Stauffer Foods could be more than one person here.

:confused: HUH...is my brain not home today...please explain:)

elksclub
12-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Well...I meant to say TJ Dave seems to out cute himself and becomes hard to follow, as you had a hard time following him.I thought maybe Vic Stauffer could be the same person as he is very hard to follow.

joanied
12-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Well...I meant to say TJ Dave seems to out cute himself and becomes hard to follow, as you had a hard time following him.I thought maybe Vic Stauffer could be the same person as he is very hard to follow.

Hmmmm...OK....guess that makes sense...I don't have problems following Vic's posts...
:)

elksclub
12-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Oh.

I guess I mean it in the way that although they are understandable....I can't believe he says what he does.

Cardus
12-11-2009, 12:38 PM

How does his death define 2009?

Show Me the Wire
12-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Moment of the Year goes to R.A. winnig the Preakness, even though it was a weak field. A historic event involving a historically traditional race.

To clarify weak, I mean the following: in that the distance did not favor Summer Bird to show his talent, and that MTB and R.A.were the only horses properly prepped and placed with the intention to win this specific race.

elksclub
12-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Here is my moment of the year...laugh if you must.

I thought Dunkirk was much ado about little until he ran against HolidayRoad in the what'sitsname.When I saw him charging out of nowhere in that stretch and push HR to his limit...I noticed the great disparity in their size and how that little horsey Dunkirk,in only is 5th start and first big race---I think, showed so much.

He reminded me a little/lot of DollarBill.

elksclub
12-11-2009, 01:21 PM
How does his death define 2009?

This oughta be good.

johnhannibalsmith
12-11-2009, 01:23 PM
MEC heading to bankruptcy court.

A true sign of the times and a moment of clarity for much of the industry.

TJDave
12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
This oughta be good.

Tough crowd. :faint:

I just viewed it ironic that if voters could make the death of a horse a defining moment then perhaps Frankel deserved at least some credit.

Yeah, I was being cute...Guilty.

Well, I don't know what Bobby's death has to do with that of Slew's

Slew's death was the top vote getter in 2002.

elksclub
12-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Tough crowd.

I just viewed it ironic that if voters could make the death of a horse a defining moment then perhaps Frankel deserved at least some credit.

You answered the wrong guy,but it was good.

Although two wrongs don't make a right....by the way,hope you are not trying to imitate me.Let's keep it real.

NTamm1215
12-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Moment of the Year goes to R.A. winnig the Preakness, even though it was a weak field. A historic event involving a historically traditional race.

To clarify weak, I mean the following: in that the distance did not favor Summer Bird to show his talent, and that MTB and R.A.were the only horses properly prepped and placed with the intention to win this specific race.

Does it matter that Summer Bird wasn't in the race?

NT

elksclub
12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Don't think he said he was, if you read it carefully.

joanied
12-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Oh.

I guess I mean it in the way that although they are understandable....I can't believe he says what he does.

AH...well, that goes for just about everyone here :eek: ...at least once in a while... :lol:

joanied
12-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Here is my moment of the year...laugh if you must.

I thought Dunkirk was much ado about little until he ran against HolidayRoad in the what'sitsname.When I saw him charging out of nowhere in that stretch and push HR to his limit...I noticed the great disparity in their size and how that little horsey Dunkirk,in only is 5th start and first big race---I think, showed so much.

He reminded me a little/lot of DollarBill.

I beleive you meant to type in Quality Road;)

joanied
12-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Tough crowd. :faint:

Slew's death was the top vote getter in 2002.

OH...OK, then...Slew's death was defining as we lost one hell of a stallion, and a TC winner....
Bobby's death, won't be considered a defining moment...it was a tragic, terribly sad thing...of which I am still not over.

elksclub
12-11-2009, 09:05 PM
AH...well, that goes for just about everyone here ...at least once in a while...

You are so right.

I mean...if you can't laugh at someone else, who can you laugh at?

elksclub
12-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I beleive you meant to type in Quality Road;)

Thanks, but I do give horseys my own name for them...so I really did mean it.

Really,thanks all the same as it does look like a mistake.

Robert Goren
12-11-2009, 11:43 PM
MTB in the derby. Nothing even close. JMO

joanied
12-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks, but I do give horseys my own name for them...so I really did mean it.

Really,thanks all the same as it does look like a mistake.

Hmmm...well, to each his own:)

elksclub
12-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Yes....everyone has their own thing.

Sometimes it's a little out there,but that's what makes the in theres possible..

joanied
12-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Yes....everyone has their own thing.

Sometimes it's a little out there,but that's what makes the in theres possible..

Absolutely:jump:

Say, is that a Wolf for your avatar? Do you hunt Elk? Ya don't have to answer...I'm just curious:)

elksclub
12-12-2009, 08:05 PM
It is a wolf...I blew my intended cover as a jive azz ,moose calling ,Elks Club member.

But oh well.

joanied
12-13-2009, 12:09 PM
It is a wolf...I blew my intended cover as a jive azz ,moose calling ,Elks Club member.

But oh well.

Most might not have noticed:D ...if you are an Elks Club member, IMO, you should hate Wolves...here in WY. they are a disaster for ranchers & hunters...they did not stay in Yellowstone Park (DUH)...some have been close to small towns around here...some coming into towns...they have 'taken' livestock, including horses and also dogs...they kill sheep and cattle, eat a little off the carcass, then leave it...
we have been Elk hunting just outside of Yellowstone Park for 30 years, and last year was the first time we didn't get an Elk...all we saw up there were Wolf sign and all we heard was Wolves calling...no Elk.
If you do take an Elk...no more waiting until the next day to quarter it and pack it out...if you don't pack out right away...the Wolves come in and eat part of it.
Bad Wolves...bad:mad:

elksclub
12-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Most might not have noticed:D ...if you are an Elks Club member, IMO, you should hate Wolves...here in WY. they are a disaster for ranchers & hunters...they did not stay in Yellowstone Park (DUH)...some have been close to small towns around here...some coming into towns...they have 'taken' livestock, including horses and also dogs...they kill sheep and cattle, eat a little off the carcass, then leave it...
we have been Elk hunting just outside of Yellowstone Park for 30 years, and last year was the first time we didn't get an Elk...all we saw up there were Wolf sign and all we heard was Wolves calling...no Elk.
If you do take an Elk...no more waiting until the next day to quarter it and pack it out...if you don't pack out right away...the Wolves come in and eat part of it.
Bad Wolves...bad:mad:

I guess I said it wrong.....I am a wolf who was trying to pose as an ElksClub member.

Sorry,but I do not chew my prey......

..I merely kill it and move on.

joanied
12-13-2009, 12:16 PM
I guess I said it wrong.....I am a wolf who was trying to pose as an ElksClub member.

Sorry,but I do not chew my prey......

..I merely kill it and move on.

OH...well, ya got me again:lol:

elksclub
12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I wear on people.

Now, I must go and stalk the herd....singling out the weakest.

joanied
12-13-2009, 02:09 PM
I wear on people.

Now, I must go and stalk the herd....singling out the weakest.

Go for it:jump:

elksclub
12-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh my God.

Over75% of the herd is weak!!

This will be a huge challenge.

joanied
12-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Oh my God.

This will be a huge challenge.

Enough...PA is gonna get mad!!

elksclub
12-13-2009, 05:20 PM
A salient point.

I must hide.

Cardus
12-13-2009, 05:42 PM
A salient point.

I must hide.

Don't hide from the salient points.

elksclub
12-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Oh gosh,that was good.

Zippy Chippy
12-13-2009, 06:51 PM
This is impossible.

I dont even know what id vote for. Rachels Preakness, Oaks, but Zenyattas BC Classic was so incredible. These 2 girls should share HOY.

joanied
12-14-2009, 09:04 PM
This is impossible.

I dont even know what id vote for. Rachels Preakness, Oaks, but Zenyattas BC Classic was so incredible. These 2 girls should share HOY.

Maybe the morons that voted that can't happen will see all the posts here that say it should:bang:

joanied
12-14-2009, 09:05 PM
A salient point.

I must hide.

In your Wolf Den?
:D

elksclub
12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Too obvious.

I am able to hide in places unseen....in the night, when it's dark.

WinterTriangle
12-15-2009, 12:08 AM

More historic than our Kentucky Derby, defined as THE most important American race, being won by a 50-1 shot, so startling a moment that the race caller completely got lost in his own sputtering?

MTB's KY Derby win was THE *moment* of the year, IMHO.

RAs Preakness win, while amazing, wasn't a big surprise, remember what her odds were? Ditto Zenyatta.

WinterTriangle
12-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Oh my God.

It's a design feature.:D

Show Me the Wire
12-15-2009, 11:17 AM
More historic than our Kentucky Derby, defined as THE most important American race, being won by a 50-1 shot, so startling a moment that the race caller completely got lost in his own sputtering?

MTB's KY Derby win was THE *moment* of the year, IMHO.

RAs Preakness win, while amazing, wasn't a big surprise, remember what her odds were? Ditto Zenyatta.

I think an historic event as a filly winnig a T.C. race should be given more weight than an unexpected K.D. winner. There have been many unexpected K.D. winners.

elksclub
12-15-2009, 11:20 AM
It's a design feature.

Or a benign teacher.

Just thayin'.