PDA

View Full Version : NBC, CD market Derby to women.

FenceBored
12-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Those who didn't care for Bravo!'s coverage of the Ky Oaks should prepare themselves.

NBC and Churchill Downs believe the television ratings spike for this year’s Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) was no accident.

In segments leading up to the Derby, NBC emphasized food/drink, fashion, celebrity, and entertainment on all of its various outlets.
-- http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2009/December/08/NBC-Churchill-Downs-outline-efforts-to-expand-Derby-interest.aspx

Valuist
12-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Other than the live running of the race, I would guess most on here do not watch the coverage on ABC or NBC or whoever is covering the race. They never show the undercard races (ESPN, HRTV or TVG usually do that) and its usually all fluff segments for the teary-eyed set.

kenwoodallpromos
12-09-2009, 12:12 PM
"Bravo is apparently speaking to more and more of America — or at least an upscale, urban part of it, largely female and also including, Ms. Zalaznick acknowledged, a significant number of gay men."

You coulod say I am addicted to women, not gays; But I would not mind if more gays aand women wee addicted to horseracing!

WinterTriangle
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Superbowl advertisers line up to spend $100,000 a second on ads about beer and/or "dumb things men do".

They've started catering to women and girls now, i.e., the schmaltzy one with the Clydesdale falling in love with the circus horse.

I just "assume" that anything the marketing industry comes up with will be an insult to my intelligence. :D

Advertisers would do well to just watch YouTube, some of the funniest brightest and most clever are homemade videos.

W2G
12-09-2009, 03:51 PM
NBC has really done a good job with the Derby promotion-wise since picking it up several years ago. The specific targeting of women is long overdue. I've always felt that women represented racing's secret weapon and finally the marketers are taking action. Now how the industry gets the female TV racing fan to the track and separates them from their money is another issue. The various paths to becoming a horseplayer are poorly understood but surely becoming a "fan" first is a logical path.

joanied
12-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm all for promotion aimed at women...as long as they stay away from things like recipies, fashion and anything 'frilly' :D

GaryG
12-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Anything they can do to increase interest in racing is fine with me. I venture out of the dungeon to watch the race on the big screen but never watch the "pre-game show".

Linny
12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Whenever they say they are targeting women, the show looks even more like The View than it does already. Tartgeting women is fine, but I don't need a 10 minute segment on the exercise rider who survived breast cancer or the pony girl that makes jewelry out of horse hair.
Saratoga now has a "Ladies day at the Races" and it basically involves setting up a tent in the remote corner of the backyard. It's basically a craft fair set up with vendors like the local mall, the local chaper of the Komen Foundation and some ladies who do in home jewelry and candle parties. None of it is about how to enjoy the day at the races. Nothing about reading the PP's or how to place a bet.
There are plenty of women out there who like the horses but many don't care for racing. Ladies that own and ride horses in many cases just think racing is cruel, after all, they would never push their own horses like race trainers do theirs.
I wish racing would just cater to the folks that support it and want to see it presented well on TV, the bettors.

joanied
12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Whenever they say they are targeting women, the show looks even more like The View than it does already. Tartgeting women is fine, but I don't need a 10 minute segment on the exercise rider who survived breast cancer or the pony girl that makes jewelry out of horse hair.
Saratoga now has a "Ladies day at the Races" and it basically involves setting up a tent in the remote corner of the backyard. It's basically a craft fair set up with vendors like the local mall, the local chaper of the Komen Foundation and some ladies who do in home jewelry and candle parties. None of it is about how to enjoy the day at the races. Nothing about reading the PP's or how to place a bet.
There are plenty of women out there who like the horses but many don't care for racing. Ladies that own and ride horses in many cases just think racing is cruel, after all, they would never push their own horses like race trainers do theirs.
I wish racing would just cater to the folks that support it and want to see it presented well on TV, the bettors.

Well said, Linny:ThmbUp: ...what are these guys that set up the so called 'Ladies Days' in racing thinking :bang: ...do they actually think that women that go to the races care a crap about candles, jewelry ect. And if it happens to be women that set up this sort of thing...shame on them...speaking for myself...it's insulting and, well, :blush: !!
Women are just as good at handicapping as the men are, fer cryin' out loud...having handicapping seminars, and 'insider' stuff about what goes on back at the barn, and in the morning, would be a greater benefit that selling jewlery and all sorts of things that are, ugh, pink...most women do have an affinity for horses, and I agree, the one's that own pleasure horses beleive racing is cruel...so why not give them a way to see first hand just how good these horses are treated (for the most part, but we won't go there)...

if, say, 'they' want tp promote the Triple Crown races for 2010 towards women...they best not do it with frilly doesn't have a thing to do with racing type crap...how about using some of the women that are in racing...Linda Rice, Chantal S., Mrs.Moss...a few examples...offering free admission and a pink t shirt just don't get it done:faint:

Linny
12-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Since a filly has won a classic twice in the last 3 years, the TC is well set up to promote the game to women. For big days like BC or the Derby, the crowd is about 50% female. At Saratoga, Keeneland and Del Mar it's about 50-50 as well. There is some interest by women, but why not tie it to women and racing.
I like candles and spa treatments too but when I'm at the track, I'm at the track. I don't expect to get the DRF at the nail salon so why get a pedicure at the track.
The first year that Saratoga did the Ladies Day they had Glenye Cain and Lauren Stich from the Form there. Both had books out and were available to chat with the women that showed up. They haven't been there since.
I'd think it would be appealing to see some stories about female owners of yesterday and today. After all, owning TB's is one area of sports where women have competed with men for decades and done very well. What about trainers and riders. More and more women are not only getting involved, they are winning.
Showing that the horses are well treated for and that the handlers and riders etc care very much for their charges might counter some of the accusations of cruelty. Show some of the bond between the groom and horse or how the exercise rider handles a sometimes silly or playful horse with subtlety and attention to detail.

joanied
12-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Since a filly has won a classic twice in the last 3 years, the TC is well set up to promote the game to women. For big days like BC or the Derby, the crowd is about 50% female. At Saratoga, Keeneland and Del Mar it's about 50-50 as well. There is some interest by women, but why not tie it to women and racing.
I like candles and spa treatments too but when I'm at the track, I'm at the track. I don't expect to get the DRF at the nail salon so why get a pedicure at the track.
The first year that Saratoga did the Ladies Day they had Glenye Cain and Lauren Stich from the Form there. Both had books out and were available to chat with the women that showed up. They haven't been there since.
I'd think it would be appealing to see some stories about female owners of yesterday and today. After all, owning TB's is one area of sports where women have competed with men for decades and done very well. What about trainers and riders. More and more women are not only getting involved, they are winning.
Showing that the horses are well treated for and that the handlers and riders etc care very much for their charges might counter some of the accusations of cruelty. Show some of the bond between the groom and horse or how the exercise rider handles a sometimes silly or playful horse with subtlety and attention to detail.

Linny...alll good suggestions...there is a wealth of women working within the industry, and I'd bet every one of them would be more than happy to help promote the sport (to women)....all the gals on HRTV/TVG included...maybe all the major tracks could hold the so called Ladies Day...but call it something else, like 'Women in Racing'...and invite women trainers,owners, riders, backstretch workers, commentators ect to attend and have seminars before the races get started, maybe do something in the mornings...and also, get some of these gals in TV ads that run prime time...and get women's magazines to run ads, and stories of women that work in the industry, the articles could explain the basics of handicapping, and show all the fun & color of being at the track...endless possibilites...and if ya get women to come to the tracks, good chance they'll bring their husbands, boy friends, sons ect.

Tom
12-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Maybe they could try something new......feature RACING! :rolleyes:

WinterTriangle
12-10-2009, 10:04 PM

As a woman, that's what I was trying to say about the silly commercials..... you said it all better. :ThmbUp:

FWIW, most of my friends, male and female, do own horses, but none that I know of think racing is "cruel".

(except racing lame horses, but I don't know many people in general who support that).

Please, no crafts fairs. :D

Robert Fischer
12-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Maybe they could try something new......feature RACING! :rolleyes:
AMEN

The derby is really the ONLY race that can be justified to be marketed as a "historical spectator sport". In that regard, the derby has no signifigance to how any other race events should be televised in the mass media.

But even the modern Derby broadcast with it's historical signifigance, and appeal to women, is painfully inept without at least a small significant share of attention focused on showcasing the gambling game itself, with the NBC call-in-bet, and NBC-online-wagering and a couple of guys who can at least talk a good game and make a case for a strategy like serling and beyer in a small segment.

A "regular" race, such as all other stakes races should have almost no attention on "historical spectator" appeal, and be focused primarily on the gambling game and promoting NBC's ADW

Linny
12-11-2009, 09:57 AM
I am female and I work in racing and have worked to promote racing to women. I have hosted "ladies only" handicapping seminars where women with questions won't feel out of their league asking novice questions. I know plenty of women who handicap very well and many working in all aspects of racing.

I also have been a rider for almost 40 years. While some of my racing friends also ride, most of my riding friends don't know or care about racing. They generally think that the horses are "crazy" and that they are all "drugged" and that since well known and stakes winning horses have turned up in killpens that the traners don't care about them. (The same riders tend to turn a blind eye to the thousands of pleasure and show horses in killpens and some unethical training techniques in the horseshow environment.)
I took some of my barnmates to the backstretch at Saratoga one morning and they were SHOCKED that the horses were so well cared for and looked so happy and healthy.

joanied
12-11-2009, 11:39 AM
I am female and I work in racing and have worked to promote racing to women. I have hosted "ladies only" handicapping seminars where women with questions won't feel out of their league asking novice questions. I know plenty of women who handicap very well and many working in all aspects of racing.

I also have been a rider for almost 40 years. While some of my racing friends also ride, most of my riding friends don't know or care about racing. They generally think that the horses are "crazy" and that they are all "drugged" and that since well known and stakes winning horses have turned up in killpens that the traners don't care about them. (The same riders tend to turn a blind eye to the thousands of pleasure and show horses in killpens and some unethical training techniques in the horseshow environment.)
I took some of my barnmates to the backstretch at Saratoga one morning and they were SHOCKED that the horses were so well cared for and looked so happy and healthy.

Now that is something that I think would really help racing's view in the public eye...I would think that probably 90% of the casual race fan has no idea what goes on at the barns...if someone could develope a documentary type short film on 'life on the backside', and if it aired on network TV...including ESPN (not the racing channels...that is preaching to the chior)...it would open the eyes of many casual fan...and I'm not talking about an expose on backside workers...they would visit the better barns...let folks see how pretty and clean they are, let them see how stalls are cleaned, how the horses are rubbed and loved on by good grooms, let them see feeding time, let them see the ex. riders and how they calm a nervous horse, talk and sing to them out on the training track...there is so much good stuff they could put into a 'film' like that...and air it a week or so before the Triple Crown races begin...draw in the casual fan.

macdiarmida
12-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Japan has a large number of young female fans. Star jock Yutaka Take is/was a big fave. The reason why he'd come to Calif and ride for short times was to get away from his adoring fans. It was not to see just how far back he could break a horse to make it lose. Females are still an untapped market here.

Those women wouldn't go to OTBs, however. The general answer was that the places were full of dirty, creepy old men.

joanied
12-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Japan has a large number of young female fans. Star jock Yutaka Take is/was a big fave. The reason why he'd come to Calif and ride for short times was to get away from his adoring fans. It was not to see just how far back he could break a horse to make it lose. Females are still an untapped market here.

Those women wouldn't go to OTBs, however. The general answer was that the places were full of dirty, creepy old men.

That's another way to get women to the track...good idea, macdiarmida...and we have some good lookin' jocks, even some good lookin' trainers...'they' could get in on promoting the sport too....although retired, Gary Stevens is a good lookin' dude...great smile & great eyes...and he's even a sorta movie star...sex appeal sells...so, why not:jump:

Linny
12-12-2009, 04:09 PM
The funny thing is that Gary has one of the "biggest and best" personalities in racing but he's really very buttoned up on the air.
There are a few cute/handsome trainers out there but of course it's up to them to manage to get some super high quality stock if they want national air time. Lets face it, if you are a .250 hitter and a good enough fielder to stay in the lineup and you look like a movie star, you will get just as much airtime in 9 innings as A Rod or Jeter. In racing you only get airtime if you are winning the biggest races.
In Europe, Frankie Dettori has paparazzi chasing him all the time. I can't think of any US jock who's ever had that issue.

Grits
12-12-2009, 05:10 PM
The funny thing is that Gary has one of the "biggest and best" personalities in racing but he's really very buttoned up on the air.
There are a few cute/handsome trainers out there but of course it's up to them to manage to get some super high quality stock if they want national air time. Lets face it, if you are a .250 hitter and a good enough fielder to stay in the lineup and you look like a movie star, you will get just as much airtime in 9 innings as A Rod or Jeter. In racing you only get airtime if you are winning the biggest races.
In Europe, Frankie Dettori has paparazzi chasing him all the time. I can't think of any US jock who's ever had that issue.

Linny, WELCOME!! Darlin' where've you been?

I thought you'd dropped off the planet, or worse, headed into the Witness Protection Program! Its good to have a seasoned New York racing female who I KNOW--does handicap and bet. And can back up her knowledge.

Hope you've been well. Missed seeing you and 'capping with you, Oldguy, Mr.S, and others in the group at Saratoga in August.

Haven't bothered with the ladies tent. Had no idea what was in it. Bead stringers, candlemakers, crafters. Not much interest in those.

Glad you've joined, here, at Pace Advantage.:)

joanied
12-12-2009, 06:21 PM

I noticed that too...Gary does seem rather 'stiff' on the air...which is surprising, since he's been in front of the camera forever, including the movie (I think he did a great job in it too)...Mike Smith isn't bad either...great smile...Dettori has been his own PR man for years...he really knows how to play to the crowd, and the camera...wish we had some like him over here...
true, Linny...it's shame our trainers can't get air time like other sports figures...Baffert was doing a good job of it when he was on the TC trail several years ago...
I guess trying to get the gals to the track by way of good lookin', sexy dudes, is not likely to happen...but it's still a good idea...and we know that a lot of good ideas stay just that...ideas:faint:

But, having tents set up with craft items for sale, or handing out pink t- shirts...ain't gonna get the job done...IMO, other than the sex appeal angle, the women involved in the industry should have TV spots aimed at getting gals out to the track, along with seminars and 'breakfast at the track' type things...run ads in local papers, and I think articles in women's magazine is a good idea too.

toussaud
12-12-2009, 07:03 PM
come on guys.

it's like people have missed the biggest connection in 2 pages of this.

WOMEN LOVE HORSES!

you don't have to show women sex to get them to thet rack when they are horses there.

do you know how many times I'd take a girl to a track for a date and she'd have the time of her life just sitting in the paddock? women love freaking horses. not too many women did not grow up wanting to own a pony something along those lines

you are missing a huge demographic thinking you have to necessarily show sex just to get women to the track.

it's not even about racing. it's about the horses.

you get the women there, and the men will follow.

joanied
12-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Hey toussaud....thanks for jumpin' in...
and you are right...most gals love horses...I'm from Brooklyn and grew up horse crazy...and wound up livin' the dream!!

A little sex appeal can't hurt...but I suppose simply advertising the horses would do it...
ads all over the place showing gorgeous race horses...TV ads in slow motion with great music...women's magazine ads with fantastic photos...some with a good lookin' jockey up:) ..and good articles to go along with them.
I don't know what CD has in mind, via NBC, to promote the sport to women...but I hope they read this forum:jump: