PDA

View Full Version : YouBet help

Tom
06-13-2003, 03:30 AM
Is anyone able to enter YouBetExpress?
I am not able to do anything wtih them for two days now. Everytime I log on, I get told I am a first time uses and files have to be downloaded. Then, literaly 6-8 hours of downloading and nothing happens. No one has answered the phone line for tech help (been calling all night Thursday).
At this point, all I want to do is close out my account, but I can't get into the site to do it. Have they gone under, or what?
After years of poor servive, this is the absolute worst I have ever seen.
Anyone have an actual address for them?

JustRalph
06-13-2003, 05:59 AM
Tom

I just logged in fine.....2:55a.m. West coast time.

I had the same symptoms once. It was my browser that was the problem. Delete your Internet temp files and restart and try again.

"Tools" "Options" temp Internet files "Delete Files" and see what happens. On mine I had to delete them manually because my browser was sick. But it fixed it.

Tom
06-13-2003, 07:18 AM
...but no luck. The site just spends hours looking for upgrades.
Upgrades to what?
At this point, all I want is to get my money out.
I am fed up with YouBet. This is the last straw.

Whitehos
06-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Tom,
I have been experiencing the same problem. UBet said it was Comcast that blocked the port. Comcast denied it. Then UBet denied saying that and had me do all the stuff you did with no success. It will not download.

Eliot

linrom1
06-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Have you tried the CD version.

JustRalph
06-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Whitehos
Tom,
I have been experiencing the same problem. UBet said it was Comcast that blocked the port. Comcast denied it. Then UBet denied saying that and had me do all the stuff you did with no success. It will not download.
Eliot

I think Tom uses Roadrunner?

Tom
06-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Yes-I use RoadRunner.
YouBet customer service has no idea what the problem is.
They are "investigating" and will call me back.
No-I don't want to use the CD version.

Tom
06-14-2003, 11:59 AM
YouBet is history for me.
Now, I need to ffind a site that offers video (that works)
and a good variety of tracks.
I am looking hard at Theracingchannel.com and Betehorse.com.
Anyone currently using these, and if so, is there video for most tracks, and are there any problems with the services?
I would like to be able to play Finger Lakes and Penn for sure, and MED harness would be on my list of good things.
I don't really care about rebates, etc, - just reliable service.

Thanks

cj
06-14-2003, 02:09 PM
Tom,

One word...BrisBet. Never had a single problem, you get video from every track (assuming you have cable or DSL), and the customer service is pretty good.

CJ

cj
06-14-2003, 02:10 PM
The free PPs on the tracks you wager on. I don't use BRIS anymore, but I'm considering modifying my homegrown software for BRIS rather than Formulator data for this reason alone.

CJ

Tom
06-14-2003, 02:37 PM
CJ,
I already ahve BRSIBET, but have NEVER been able to watch any video on it - absolute worst quality unwatchable. I bet through BB, but I want a site where I can actually watch a race.

cj
06-14-2003, 03:26 PM
I wish I could help, but I get very nice video from them. Is your connection dial-up?

CJ

Tom
06-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks for trying.
I use RoadRunner.
I cannot get any video from any site on the web.
BRIS bet tells me Windows Media Player cannot open the files, Betehorse just does nothing. YouBet will not even let me into the site.
I give up.
This is not worth the hassle. I quit.
I am cancelling all accounts and giving up the internet.
Whatever it is, no one can help at any site and frankly, I just don't give shat anymore.
This game is just not any fun anymore.
At least no on the internet.
Going to FL for the last three races - with a pencil!

WINMANWIN
06-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Tom
YouBet is history for me.
Now, I need to ffind a site that offers video (that works)
and a good variety of tracks.
I am looking hard at Theracingchannel.com and Betehorse.com.
Anyone currently using these, and if so, is there video for most tracks, and are there any problems with the services?
I would like to be able to play Finger Lakes and Penn for sure, and MED harness would be on my list of good things.
I don't really care about rebates, etc, - just reliable service.

Thanks

Tom, if interested sometimes this site works....:confused:
What I usually do if I cant watch before I had Bris was to go to the tracks web page and see if they webcast.You can easily find out all tracks via drf.com, and go to tracks....:) below is the site for free video/audio http://www.racingpicks.com/live.asp

Buckeye
06-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Tom,
The problem could very well be the way your Windows Media Player is set up. Try getting a tech person at Racing Channel or betehorse to work with you. Don't give up until you see the whites of their eyes :)

Tom
06-14-2003, 08:14 PM
Well, I got video at BRSIBET, on some channels, not all.
Nothing at EbetUSA, noting at betehorse, nothing at YouBet.
I don't know what I did, just reinstalled about everything and then went to WMP7.0.
This thing that gts me is that not one of these sites techs have any clue as to what is wrong. YouBet has never even seen the screen I get on thier own site!
But if I get video someplaces, why not all, even on the same site?
This internet crap is not very well developed, if you ask me.
And YouBet told me that you have to turn off your firewall to use their signal....isn't this just plain irresponsible? Without a firewall, you are unprotested on the nwt, yet YouBet tells me that there is nothing to worry about. The only thing I woory about is when the check will get here.
:rolleyes:

SAL
06-14-2003, 08:36 PM
I use Norton Personal Firewall for my dsl connection and Youbet works perfect on it. Your troubles have me baffled too, I thought I've seen most problems regarding connecting to the net, but yours has me stumped.

VetScratch
06-14-2003, 09:52 PM
About YouBet, has anyone persisted until they got the facts?

I really liked the service, but like Tom, withdrew my bankroll in frustration after faring worse than he did. He got no service when he called. I was the unfortunate one, because YouBet answered when I called.

I was tortured by the same symptoms as Tom when I installed a new PC with XP Pro and updated it with all available downloads from Windows Update. Except for YouBet, all my other services migrated to the new machine without a hitch.

In six long phone sessions, I got absolutely no help from YouBet. After I asked who a girl had to......to get some help, one rep finally admitted that lots of folks were reporting the "endless install/upgrade" problem with YouBet Express (but said they were not authorized to recognize it as a known issue). When I asked for the CD version, I was told it is being withdrawn from distribution. When I challenged this, they admitted it was because I use XP Pro and mumbled something about Media Player 9.

These were the worst tech reps on planet earth (and you can take that opinion to the bank because I dated some really bad ones in Cleveland, Memphis, and Denver)!

"Delete all temporary IE online and offline files." Ok, sure, maybe the sixth time will be charm.

"Delete all cookies." Are you kidding (many contain preferences and logins for other services)! Which ones are a problem? "They don't tell us that." Well, why don't we look together, I bet we can find them (which we did).

"Now try again." Wait a minute, didn't you skip something (or drop your script)? Shouldn't we View Objects and get rid of the YouBet Secure Data Transport module? Three out of four before you have insisted on this. "Wait a minute, I'll ask someone." Five minutes later, the answer was yes, but of course the problem occurred again.

Noises in the background finally prompted me to ask, "What are all those funny machinery noises on your end? Are you folks laundromat attendants as well as YouBet tech reps?"

Even after connecting with their so-called guru rep, YouBet would not or could not give an answer to any of the following questions:

Is XP Pro an issue? "Not a solid verified problem".

Is Media Player 9 an issue? "Not likely for an install, but probably for streaming video after you get installed".

Is XP Firewall and issue, and if so, what ports do I need to define and open? "Some users say yes, others say no, but I don't have any specifics or port information."

Is Cox.Net or the 1433 port issue from Orange County a problem in my area, which is serviced by Cox Central? "I don't know what Cox is exactly doing in each of their regions."

Just in case Cox is an issue, is there a fix on the way for Orange County where port 1433 has been widely reported as a problem? If so, it might apply to me, too. "I have no information on that."

Can you get answers to these questions and call me back?
"What were they, again?" (Disconnect on my end).

I also wonder where the YouBet trolls and shills are when we need them. On a major board like this, you would think the place would be crawling with EquiBase/YouBet spielsters.

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2003, 10:35 PM
I've been using YouBet for a number of years now. They sucked in the beginning, but they have been almost perfect the last few years. I get video with no problem both at home and at work, and I wager with no problems using the web-based interface.

You can call me a shill or troll if you'd like, but that's the way it is for me as far as YouBet is concerned. The only thing I would like to see them add is a way to query historical bets ala BRISbet. Other than that, I believe they have one of the most technologically advanced betting websites I've ever seen (among the stateside sites....I have little knowledge of off-shore gaming sites)

Sign me,

YouBet's #1 Fan

Tom
06-14-2003, 11:14 PM
I fail to see where the rocjet science in all this crap is. I am sure it not just YouBet ...it is everyone!
YouBet has no clue and that is obvious. If you are having good luck with them. rest assured, it is just that...luck.
BRISbet...why do some channels work and other do not? No rhyme nor reason to it. Why does nothing work at Ebet or Betehorse?
The bottom line to all this is Micrsoft and their worthless OS systems. The systems are unstable ANd poorly written.
I half considered buying a new computer today, but I have to draw the line, and never, ever, buy anything from MS again.
I am phasing out everything I do on computers now. I have cancelled just about everything, including HTR and databases and handicapping software are out the window for me. If I can't do it with a pencil, I don't care to do it anymore. This whole damn internet is just a royal pain in the ass and I don't need it. Just before I quit HTR, they came out with a new applet to download files..some og the guys thought it was great, for me, it was the end of the line. What used to take minute a day to download turned into over an hour. The best I was able to ever improve it to was about 20 minutes - unaccpetable. And by doing that. I think that is when YouBet disappeared. What the hell is so damn hard about downloading a few simple files?
I can tell ya one thing, I will never, ever, go back to software handicapping. Not al long as you have to rely on the internet for your files.

cj
06-14-2003, 11:32 PM
Tom,

If you are on WMP 7.0, that is a problem. They are on version 9.x now. Try upgrading, I know it did wonders on my computer at work ;)

CJ

JustRalph
06-15-2003, 12:05 AM
The problem is, I know the answer to most of all these problems but it would take me the next three hours to type it out and most of you wouldn't want to do the fixes anyway. Example with Vetscratch: "updated it with all available downloads" This is probably your problem Vetscratch. Go into Add-Remove Programs and see if you have an update or fix numbered 811439, if so remove it. It is one of the culprits for several problems...

info here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819634

You may not have it, but this is just an example of some things that can happen.

Tom: Your video performance etc. rely on bandwidth. You have roadrunner so I am assuming you have decent bandwidth if you want to test it, try here.

http://www.dslreports.com/stest?loc=2

If your bandwidth is ok, you need to tweak your buffer time in Media player and if that doesn't work, you have other computer problems with your operating system or software. It is fixable Tom......it may take wiping it out..... and starting over but it does work. In Media Player under tools options "performance" see the photo below and choose your connection speed and buffer 30 seconds and maybe even 60-90 and see how it performs. Above 90 shouldn't be needed.
http://home.columbus.rr.com/justralph/buffer.jpg

I won't get into it anymore because of the reasons stated above. But this stuff does work for the majority of people. It can be a bitch figuring out the problems and it takes good Techs to do it sometimes. But most of us are out of work because the first thing they cut in this economic environment is the higher paid better performing Techs. So we sit home and play the Horses. Sorry Guys,,,,, I wish I could show up at everyone of your houses. I really do.

Vetscratch: Did you get the private message I sent you?
I notice that I have sent 4-5 private messages over the last few months and they are showing "not read" anybody else having this problem? or is everybody just choosing to ignore me?

VetScratch
06-15-2003, 12:45 AM
Thanks to all who replied!

Windows Media Player: V8 came with my new PC. I upgraded to V9 via Windows Update and was distinctly informed by YouBet that I shouldn't be surprised if streaming video might be unstable. Since this was not cited as a verified software update issue, I kept trying to work with YouBet on the install problem. From what I learned from CJ's reply, it sounds like V9 will now work if I can ever get YouBet Express to download and install.

Quality Of YouBet Service: I was delighted with YouBet via Cox.Net on my Windows 98 system. If I hadn't bought a new PC with XP Pro (etc.), I might be one of their loudest enthusiasts. You can't beat YouBet (versus others) for placing wagers via the PC. My gripe is that YouBet was caught flatfooted and was evasive about what might be wrong when I switched PCs at about the same time that the Cox.Net port issue received publicity.

Shills & Trolls: on a paid or volunteer basis, they provide a valuable service wherever users congregate to discuss vertical niches. Microsoft MVP's in the MS newsgroups are the best example of helpful volunteer shills. If troll is controversial, it is only because of spammers who troll the web for contacts, and occasionally because of negative publicists who enter groups for the sole purpose of spreading misinformation. In most cases, however, these are the folks who can get a vendor's attention when things start to go to hell in a handbasket. I have no clout with YouBet, but if someone here does, this should be a better place to complain and motivate a response than repetitive long phone conversations with clueless customer service reps.

What I didn't find in any of the replies to date (unless one is inbound as I type), is anyone who can report that YouBet Express installs on a XP Pro system (all modules current) with XP Firewall enabled (with whatever ports are needed opened), and broadband cable service from Cox.Net.

VetScratch
06-15-2003, 01:21 AM
Ralph,

I quickly got rid of the old 811439 update like most everybody else.

I recently (6/13/03) saw an MS NG post claiming that MS put a fix in their latest 811439 update but I abstained anyway. Now I see from your link that MS confirms the fix, so I may install it.

BTW, never got an email from you at scratched@cox.net, which is not bogus. I will check my user profile on this board.

Also, for the same reason you alluded to, my original post omitted security tweaks and other nitty gritties that also didn't solve my install problem.

Without something you may suggest, I am almost convinced that XP Firewall is the issue, but I offered to open whatever ports YouBet needs and got no guidance about this from YouBet.

BillW
06-15-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by VetScratch

BTW, never got an email from you at scratched@cox.net, which is not bogus. I will check my user profile on this board.

VetScratch,

There is a Private Message (PM) function on this board that you have turned on (see the "PM" button at the bottom of your posts). But you have notification turned off. What you need to do is go into your Profile/Edit Options and turn on the "Pop up a box when you receive a Private Message" function. Also the lack of an e-mail button indicates that your e-mail is not activated on this board. You can take care of that also under Edit Options (Hide e-mail addr = no).

Bill

JustRalph
06-15-2003, 02:04 AM
You sound like you are on top of it. The XP firewall is probably the problem. It can be a problem and most techs that talk on the phone won't know what port to open anyway. My suggestion is to turn off all software firewalls and get a $39 router. They are better anyway and give you more options. Much better protection.

The private messages should come through on the board when you log on ( At least they do when I log on, when I have one) but it appears that some I have responded to have not been read? I will hit your email account with the info from the private message.

Ralph

Pace Cap'n
06-15-2003, 08:00 AM
Not long ago I began receiving a newsletter called "WinXPnews". Not being an XP user, I didn't pay it much mind, but when I got around to reading it, found many useful tips for Win-98 and up. One thing I've noticed, they are not big fans of WMP-9.

Here's the link:

www.winxpnews.com/issues.cfm

Tom
06-15-2003, 10:02 AM
CJ- I had WMP 9.0 and it would not work on any files or websites.
6.4 worked a little, but was smaller than a postage stamp. 7,0 is the only game in town on my CFH.

Ralph,
I will grill steaks and lobster.,..what time will you be here <G>

Seriously, thanks - I re-set the buffer and will try it out this afternoon. I didn't see the dreaded upgrade, but I think that I did have it for a while and got rid of it when I upgraded IE two or three times yesterday.

plainolebill
06-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Tom, I just installed WM 9 and it wouldn't work with Youbet. I had to go into Tools>Options>Network and check the box :Use Ports I used the default port 7000-7007. Caveat, I was just shooting in the dark but it worked.

Bill[

modred
06-15-2003, 05:48 PM
If anyone has Win XP Pro ... make sure IIS is turned off or not installed ..this caused me some communication problems at one time.

Tom
06-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Got most of the channels at BrisBet, zero at EbutUsa and zero at Betehorse. Stilol cannot even enter YouBet.
Ralph, the buffer at 30 seems to have helped at all tracks except Belmont. I also found a tool where you can adujst the brightness, so the video is watchable now.
Thaks to all for suggestions.

Q? What is an emachine - is it something just for the internet?
They are pretty cheap, so that sets off a warning in my mind, unless they aren't real computers, just "surfboards."

BillW
06-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Tom, Can't help much, but they are real computers (I get the impression they are volksputers)

http://www.e4me.com/

Bill

PaceAdvantage
06-15-2003, 07:25 PM
Regarding Private Messaging:

You can send all the PMs you want, but if the person you sent it too does not have PM notification turned on (you get an e-mail sent to you that you have a PM, PLUS when you log into the board, a pop-up message appears telling you you have received a PM), they won't know they have a PM UNLESS they go into the PROFILE section of the message board and specifically check to see if they received any new PMs.

Thus, since most people are NOT in the regular habit of going into the PROFILE section to check for PMs, if they don't have notification turned on (and many people have this turned OFF for some reason), they will never see your PM....but it will sit there forever....LOL

==PA

MikeDee
06-17-2003, 06:39 AM
I would try to isolate the problem. If you can't get decent video from anybody, Then the problem must be in your PC or internet provider. Do you have a good friend with a laptop? Bring the laptop your house put it on your connection and see if it works.

Goto your firends house (hopefully a different internet company) take your PC. Hook it up to his internet connection see if it works.

Once you figure out where the problem really is then you can begin to figure out a fix.

Tom
06-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Thanks, Mike.
I get some video from Bris. No one else.
I am putting in a router this week and will hook my laptop up and see what I can get from that. I am also lookioong at dumping Roadrunner and getting Lightning Link. three guys at work have switched and are happier with LL than RR.
I suspect RR because I get my cable TV from the same line as RR and my cable is rabbit ear quality - continually bad, and the digital stations are always stopping and freezing up, just like my video on the net.
I have TVG, so all I need is a way to get in Med and Pen, plus maybe a couple of other night tracks to be happy. I would really like to be able access Finger Lakes video.

plainolebill
06-18-2003, 02:00 AM
Hey Tom, if your cable tv is that bad you're lucky to be getting any internet let alone streaming video. You need a lot higher quality for the computer link than the tv. Try hooking rabbit ears to your computer :D

Bill

BillW
06-18-2003, 02:06 AM
Tom,

Bill's got a point (not about the rabbit ears :)). I only have dial-up, but it was near perfect, solid 45K connections. I took a lightning hit a couple of months ago (modem exploded etc.) the service hasn't been the same since. You can't tell by listening to the line, i.e. no audible noise, but the service has been bad, lots of hangups, time-outs, lots of re-dials to get better connection etc. So changing ISP's may be the solution (I would think about that lightning link thing though :D )

Bill

MikeDee
06-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Tom I know you are going to hate to hear this but youbet now has finger Lakes video and wagering

Tom
06-18-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by MikeDee
Tom I know you are going to hate to hear this but youbet now has finger Lakes video and wagering

Yes. I want to watch it, but.....
Still, I cannot bet it-apparently NY residents, or at least resident in my area cannot bet FL. Don't know why.
I can bet FL through OTB, but that really is getting deperate.

I bought some rabbit ears...if I can figure where to plug them in, I will give it a try:rolleyes:

BillW
06-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Yes. I want to watch it, but.....
Still, I cannot bet it-apparently NY residents, or at least resident in my area cannot bet FL. Don't know why.

Does Stronach own it?

doophus
06-18-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Tom
....I bought some rabbit ears...if I can figure where to plug them in, I will give it a try:rolleyes:

Tom, those rabbit ears should plug directly into a USB port. Make sure it's at least USB2.0. Sounds like you will shortly have digital TV on your monitor.

Good luck.

George

Tom
06-19-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by BillW
Does Stronach own it?

No. FL will be the last track Frankie ever gets his hands on. The food service outfit has a stranglehold on it. NTRA tried to buy it a few years ago but couldn't handle the "mess hall mafia" boys.
These are real pros, these grill goons.
:rolleyes: :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Tom
06-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Well, after two weeks of endless attempts and no results, I officially closed my account tonight.
I bought a router and set up a network so I could try a different computer and nothing worked. Even the network won't work-cannot get the two damn computers to talk to each other.
Only 1 out of four websites will work for video (Bris)
Don't know what the problem is and I an done trying to figure it out. I guess internet technology is just not possible in some parts of the country. I have no doubt some most of the problem is the fault of Time Warner and Road Runner. But when a corporate giant tells youthere isnothing wrong on their end, what can you do?
Vacation coming up after tomorrow, so I gues track hoping in person is on the agenda. No more internet headaches. Pen and WO are within a few hours drive time, so it's off to the real races.