PDA

View Full Version : The man who makes money without making a single bet at a race track

Sea Biscuit
12-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Interesting story about a stooper

December 8, 2009

Picking (Up) Winners Without Placing a Bet

By VINCENT M. MALLOZZI
NY TIMES

For the past 10 years, Jesus Leonardo has been cleaning up at an OTB parlor in Midtown Manhattan, cashing in, by his own count, nearly half a million dollars’ worth of winning tickets from wagers on thoroughbred races across the country.

During his glorious run, Mr. Leonardo, 57, has not placed a single bet.

“It is literally found money,” he said on a recent night from his private winner’s circle. He spends more than 10 hours a day there, feeding thousands of discarded betting slips through a ticket scanner in a never-ending search for someone else’s lost treasure.

“This has become my job, my life,” he said. “This is how I feed my family.”

Leonardo, who favors track suits and wears his graying hair and bushy beard in long ponytails, is what’s known in horse racing parlance as a stooper — a person who hangs around racetracks and betting parlors picking up tickets thrown away by others. Most tickets are losers, but enough are winners to make it worth his while.

To his stable of OTB buddies, Mr. Leonardo is the Secretariat of stoopers.

“He’s a legend,” said Paul Pepad, 57, an out-of-work musician who lives in Manhattan. “Everyone knows that this is his turf, that all the tickets thrown out belong to him, period. It’s just been that way as long as I can remember.”

T.D. Thornton, a journalist who wrote about stoopers in his 2007 book, “Not by a Long Shot: A Season at a Hard-Luck Horse Track,” said: “Stoopers are the gleaners of the racetrack world. Stoopers have a relationship with horse tracks that goes back to the advent of parimutuel betting in the early 1930s. There is an unwritten code in racing that says stoopers are tolerated as long as they are not perceived as harassing or stalking customers.”

“They are allowed to live on the fringes,” he added.

Mr. Leonardo, who is married with two teenagers, is hardly living on the fringes. He said that stooping brings him $100 to $300 a day, and more than $45,000 a year. Last month, he cashed in a winning ticket from bets made on races at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif., for $8,040. His largest purse came in 2006, when he received $9,500 from a Pick 4 wager (choosing the winners of four consecutive races) at Retama Park Race Track in Selma, Tex.

It is all taxable income. “I file my winnings with the I.R.S. every year,” Mr. Leonardo said in his thick Dominican accent.

Freddy Peguero, 53, a short-order cook from Manhattan, rooted for Mr. Leonardo to scan a winner one recent afternoon.

“Everybody in here loves Jesus,” he said. “When Jesus wins, we all eat, and we all drink. Jesus is a very generous man.”

Once upon a wager on a race run at Aqueduct Racetrack in Queens, Mr. Leonardo, who lives in Wanaque, N.J., became a stooper by accident.

In 1999, he walked into that same OTB parlor in Midtown and placed a bet. He watched the race, was sure he had lost and threw away his Pick 3 ticket.

“But just as I was leaving, I looked up at the screen and realized an inquiry had been made,” he said, referring to a review of the race to check for possible rules infractions. “All of a sudden, the results changed and I actually won $900.”

He began a frantic search for his ticket, picking up hundreds off the floor, and from ashtrays and garbage cans. He could not find it, however, and began pleading with the manager on duty.

“She said there was nothing she could do about it,” Mr. Leonardo said. “I was so upset, almost in tears. Finally, she said, ‘Look, if you want to take the garbage home with you and look for your ticket, go right ahead.’ ”

He did. Although he did not locate his $900 jackpot, he found two other winners in the trash, worth a combined $2,000.

“I couldn’t believe it,” said Mr. Leonardo, who had been supporting his family and his dream of writing songs by working odd jobs, including painting homes and cleaning windows. “I started thinking, there’s probably winning tickets thrown in the garbage every day.”

He has since returned nearly every day, waiting patiently for the OTB garbage to be placed at the curb before claiming it and picking out hundreds of betting slips. He places them in a separate garbage bag, which he hauls onto the PATH train for the ride home.

“At first, my wife thought I was crazy, but then she realized I was finding a lot of money in winning tickets, sometimes $200 a day,” he said. “After a while, she didn’t think I was so crazy.”

Over time, Mr. Leonardo devised a plan to increase his winnings. He enlisted two friends to pick up the trash at four other OTB parlors around the city and take it to him for $25 per bag. By the time Mr. Leonardo boards his train, he is carrying 2,000 to 7,000 discarded tickets.

At home, two other friends help him bundle the tickets in stacks of 300, which Mr. Leonardo places in a red satchel. He heads back to New York in the morning and spends hours in front of a ticket machine, scanning each ticket. If anyone else needs the machine, he moves aside.

“It is such exhausting work that I give myself a lunch hour,” he said.

Uncashed winnings at all off-track betting operations and all racetracks in New York totaled more than $8.5 million over the past two years, according to the New York State Racing and Wagering Board.

That is why Mr. Leonardo said he would not stop stooping anytime soon, not by a long shot.

“Look here,” he said to Mr. Peguero after pulling a credit voucher from the machine for $6. “Another winner.”

harness2008
12-08-2009, 09:49 AM
They are in most OTB's in the state of New York as well as one in the location that I frequent. I am not surprised that a few winners are found but I would have never thought it would amount to $45,000.

It hasn't happened to me many times but there were occasions that I have discarded some betting vouchers by accident, made a bet for a smaller amount than I put in the machine and didn't wait for the voucher to give me back the change in the heat of the moment so I guess anything is possible.

Ray2000
12-08-2009, 10:16 AM
When I was at the Meadows there was a "stooper" with 20/20 vision who could flip tickets over with his foot. Never had to stoop unless it was a live one.:D

Sea Biscuit
12-08-2009, 01:02 PM
When I was at the Meadows there was a "stooper" with 20/20 vision who could flip tickets over with his foot. Never had to stoop unless it was a live one.:D

I wish I had that kind of eyesight.

Just to read the damn programs whose fonts are getting smaller and smaller by the day or so it seems.:jump::jump::jump:

spicytomato
12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
this is not allowed here

people are not allowed to collect discarded tickets
and put them in the machines
anyone caught doing so is showed out the door and
not allowed back onto the premesis

i have done with my tickets looked thru them at the machine
and found plenty of money i had no idea was in my tickets:eek:

mostly, due to the machine lies to me
and says no winner, then i take it to another machine and
behold its a winner,, i play a few tracks at a time so,
sometimes , i count on the machine to let me know if i got
a winner or not...

now i recheck my tickets before using as scratch paper

Pacingguy
12-09-2009, 05:41 AM
If he is collecting that much money, good for him. However, years ago the Meadowlands hired someone to do the stooping and they stopped, saying it was not worthwhile for them.

camluck49
12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
the stoopers jam the machines at my track. They are a pain in the butt i wish they would stop it. I rip my tickects up or take them with me in case of signers. To many people hanging around and not enough betting if you ask me.