PDA

View Full Version : Is TD-Ameritrade really ADW?

Robert Goren
12-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Are day traders the new horse players. I think so. After watching a commerical for one of the internet trading sites, it seems to me that they are going after the same type of gamblers as horse racing.

DeanT
12-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey Robert,

I agree 100%. Stock trading and horseplaying are one in the same, imo. Betfair exploited this well.

http://www.r2collective.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/juvfturf-300x214.jpg
That (cant see it all that well) is inrunning trading for the Juvy Turf. To me there is no difference in going short Lillie Langtry at this point of the race, than going short a call that will expire out of the money (more than likely).

Real time trading alerts via Raging Bull or Silicon Investor are also no different than an alert a horse is washed out and you should go long another. more of that phenomenon explored here (http://www.r2collective.com/content/2009/12/04/moving-outside-the-comfort-zone-exploiting-the-long-tail/).

If our tote boards were more fluid with real time data and people modeled the tote board over time, is that not like buying stocks on Technical analysis?

Anyhow, to me it is a market that we have completely failed to cater to, instead thinking the market was only people who want to go to the track and watch horses.

rrbauer
12-08-2009, 04:41 AM
I agree 100%. Stock trading and horseplaying are one in the same, imo. Betfair exploited this well.

If our tote boards were more fluid with real time data and people modeled the tote board over time, is that not like buying stocks on Technical analysis?

Anyhow, to me it is a market that we have completely failed to cater to, instead thinking the market was only people who want to go to the track and watch horses.

1. Betfair recognized the value/interest for "in running" wagering from the get-go and they have the computer horsepower to handle the instantaneous response required to process those bets.

2. Big difference between events with a short life (horse races) and those that are continuous (stock trading). However, price movements and money flows are two attributes that would seem transferable.

3. I doubt that even today that there are more than a handful of racetrack executives who could speak to the concepts of a betting exchange and describe how they might work in place of the tote system. Today, with broadband access becoming the norm, internet-based player2player betting is the only thing that I see which would increase interest in the game and bring in new players. But, even if horse racing went along and adopted that approach--were the same approach available here for sports betting it would dwarf the action on horse racing.

CBedo
12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey Robert,

http://www.r2collective.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/juvfturf-300x214.jpg
That (cant see it all that well) is inrunning trading for the Juvy Turf. To me there is no difference in going short Lillie Langtry at this point of the race, than going short a call that will expire out of the money (more than likely).

Real time trading alerts via Raging Bull or Silicon Investor are also no different than an alert a horse is washed out and you should go long another. more of that phenomenon explored here (http://www.r2collective.com/content/2009/12/04/moving-outside-the-comfort-zone-exploiting-the-long-tail/).

Anyhow, to me it is a market that we have completely failed to cater to, instead thinking the market was only people who want to go to the track and watch horses.Don't forget the well bet first time starter that doesn't run well the first couple times he starts. Then as the odds drift up in later starts, the late blooming colt finally figures things out as he matures and wins at a price. Isn't this just someone who bought a stock too early and then gave up on it before the fundamentals turned positive?