PDA

View Full Version : Best rides of 2009

WinterTriangle
12-07-2009, 01:30 PM
The obvious ones would be Borel's on MTB but also his gutsy ride on Miss Isela in the Fleur de Lis.
(Interesting anecdote from Japan, where Borel rode this weekend, from Paulick Report : On a sightseeing trip in the Osaka area Friday, a tour guide was explaining how to read the Japanese kanji symbols. “How am I going to learn that?” Borel joked. “I can barely read English.”
Just found this one, Calvin on Hal Wiggin's #8 Lady Durlyn (6-1) at Churchhill Race 4 on 11-26:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h69Ooonuoa8

Mike Smith's "I have ice in my veins" ride on Zenyatta in BCC.

Joe Talamo on Allicansayiswow at HOL on 4-23-09 Race 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrwWLNGgV4w

Post yours up, if you have videos and dates, please include in case we missed it.

toussaud
12-07-2009, 01:34 PM
calvin's ride in the derby is the best I've seen in years.

Show Me the Wire
12-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Calvin saving ground on the inside and up the rail is an every day event. The horse's willingness to squeeze through the small hole was the amazing part.

Mike Smith's ride, aboard Zenyatta, was the best performance in a prestigious race.

NTamm1215
12-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something but what was so special about Mike Smith's ride on Zenyatta in the BCC?

The thing about Borel's ride on MTB is that so few jockeys would have had the b.alls to make that move. That alone makes it a great ride. You could have put any of the top 10-15 riders on Zenyatta in the BCC and they would've won IMO.

NT

goforgin
12-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Calvin gets my vote. Not only won the Derby, but look at the comments below from 4 other races (3 winners) he won on that weekend.

Friday Race4 - "angled to the rail soon after the break, got through along the rail leaving midstretch and finshed gamely. $6.20 to Place.
Race5 - "angled to the rail in the initial 1/16, advanced along the inside and moved through a small hole inside." Win.
Race7 - "reserved early along the inside, 'bulled' way through inside midstretch. $19.40 Win.
Saturday (Derby Day) Race1. Let's see, does he remember the prior day bias. You bet, the very first race - "set pace along the inside, 'brushed' inside rail in upper stretch, then drew off". $13.20 Win.

Show Me the Wire
12-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Calvin gets my vote. Not only won the Derby, but look at the comments below from 4 other races (3 winners) he won on that weekend.

Friday Race4 - "angled to the rail soon after the break, got through along the rail leaving midstretch and finshed gamely. $6.20 to Place.
Race5 - "angled to the rail in the initial 1/16, advanced along the inside and moved through a small hole inside." Win.
Race7 - "reserved early along the inside, 'bulled' way through inside midstretch. $19.40 Win.
Saturday (Derby Day) Race1. Let's see, does he remember the prior day bias. You bet, the very first race - "set pace along the inside, 'brushed' inside rail in upper stretch, then drew off". $13.20 Win.

This shows his ride on Mine That Bird was nothing special, except for the horses willingness to run through a very small opening. Borel on the rail is an every day ride. How can something you repeatedly do day after day be special? Something that is done every day is common, not special.

The horse made a common ride special.

goforgin
12-07-2009, 08:37 PM
This shows his ride on Mine That Bird was nothing special, except for the horses willingness to run through a very small opening. Borel on the rail is an every day ride. How can something you repeatedly do day after day be special? Something that is done every day is common, not special.

The horse made a common ride special.

Good point. But, what's an everyday ride for Borel, is often times not for most of the others. IMO it's Borel's willingness to run through a very small opening and brush the wood. Actually, I thought Saturday (Derby Day) Race1 was the better ride (at least from a visual perspective "hitting the rail").

levinmpa
12-07-2009, 09:26 PM
"Smokin" Joe Talamo on I Want Revenge in the Wood. A runner that's normally forwardly placed gets left at the start. Joe doesn't panic. He takes his time to get into contention on the far turn, but is behind a wall of horses. He gets a hip check approaching the furlong pole, finds a hole and draws out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUdfJptPwk