PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Harbor Day

Robert Goren
12-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Dec 7,1941 A cowardly nation bombs the American fleet in Hawaii. A day that lives in infamy.

GaryG
12-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks HST.....a president with brass balls when we needed one. We could certainly use another....

Tom
12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
We haven't won a war since him.

God Bless not only those who died that day, but all those who sacrificed so much to avenge them.

cj's dad
12-07-2009, 10:46 AM
My father enlisted the following week (according to my mother) in the Navy and was a Seabee throughout the South Pacific during the war.

God Bless you dad !!

GaryG
12-07-2009, 11:00 AM
My father enlisted the following week (according to my mother) in the Navy and was a Seabee throughout the South Pacific during the war.

God Bless you dad !!Mine did as well. He preferred the Navy to the Army and knew he would be drafted. He was in the South Pacific for virtually the whole time. He would have been 95 on Thursday, I sure miss him.

Robert Goren
12-07-2009, 01:24 PM
My dad went into the army and went to Europe. The only thing he said about it to me was that he spent 2 weeks on the rail going over and 2 weeks on the rail coming back.

46zilzal
12-07-2009, 01:26 PM
My dad went into the army and went to Europe. The only thing he said about it to me was that he spent 2 weeks on the rail going over and 2 weeks on the rail coming back.
My dad said the same thing about his trip to the Philippines.

Tom
12-07-2009, 01:31 PM
My uncle was on one of the sunk ships at PH. They did not know his fate for weeks. He survived, and soon all my uncles and my Dad were heading over there. They all came home.

illinoisbred
12-07-2009, 01:40 PM
My Great Grandparents had 11 children-9boys,2 girls. All 9 volunteered and went overseas and came back alive.One survived the Bataan Death March and years in a gook concentration camp.

Overlay
12-07-2009, 02:31 PM
My dad was serving in the Navy at Pearl Harbor on the submarine tender USS Pelias when the attack occurred. He received hearing damage that affected him the rest of his life. A salute to all those who were there.

BlueShoe
12-07-2009, 06:20 PM
During my first Navy hitch I served with two men that had been at Pearl that day.They had stayed in the Navy after the war and were nearing the ends of their careers.One of the men often spoke of the events of that day.The other man absolutely refused to say even one word about what happened.He retained a hatred for the Japanese that I am sure he carried until the ends of his days.When we called at Japanese ports he did not go ashore on liberty,and just stayed aboard ship or used the naval station facilities.

Pace Cap'n
12-07-2009, 10:35 PM
When I was young (b. 1947), my mother would tell me of Pearl Harbor, and the story always ended the same way...her eyes would mist over as she repeated "Those poor boys. Those poor boys."

She had moved to Washington D.C. during the war and took a position as a civilian secretary for the Marine Corps and worked in the newly opened Pentagon. Part of her duties required her to process the files of Marines killed in action in the Pacific Theater. She described how the stack of files on her desk as she entered the office each day would be taller than the day before.

Her daily exposure to death eventually compelled her to relinquish her job due to a nervous condition, which probably today would be considered PTSD. A casualty of war who never heard a shot fired.