PDA

View Full Version : What races choke you up, or make you cry?

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Im a 35 year old guy and I have just about a 0% chance of getting through the 73 Belmont without crying. Other ones that choke me up are:

Both Tiznow BC Classics
Cigar BC Classic
Zenyatta BC Classic
Personal Ensign final race
Just about any Rachel Alexandra race
And this one > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZYMzJTiBHI

Something about a horse showing so much heart is just the most amazing thing in sports. Takes your breath away

showbet
12-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Any race where a horse breaks down. Not the point of the thread, I know, but those are the races that get to me.

Sekrah
12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I get teary eyed watching replays of all the great Triple Crown finishes of recent years..

Never cried for a horse breaking down. My tears are almost always of joy, They never come out of sadness.

I cry at weddings, never cried at a funeral.

nijinski
12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Any race where a horse breaks down. Not the point of the thread, I know, but those are the races that get to me.
I've gotten choked up on the "Kentucky Derby",sometimes it starts in the post parade wth "My Old Kentcky Home" playing , and I'm not even from Kentucky.

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
I've gotten choked up on the "Kentucky Derby",sometimes it starts in the post parade wth "My Old Kentcky Home" playing , and I'm not even from Kentucky.

I totally agree. Also Smarty Jones Kentucky Derby, Preakness gets to me.

I dont cry when horses break down, I get a more sick to the stomach feeling.

bisket
12-06-2009, 08:41 PM
secratariats belmont does this to me every time. thats the only race that does though. the horse i most enjoy watching in replays is seattle slew. man that horse just loved to run. slews way of running is this simple: i'm gonna run as fast as i can for as long as i can. lets just see if you can catch me. then there was the marlboro cup that proved even if you do catch him you better still be ready to battle all the way to the line. god i love to watch that horse run. i just read an article from haskins talking about all the great trainers that are still in the business, but are all but forgotten. billy turner was on the list. how many trainers would have let a horse come into the derby running like that? running his races like that> if slew had somebody like pletcher training him; would he have been the horse he was? no!!! slew would be like quality road is right now!! sometimes the best thing you can do as a trainer is let the horse run his race, and just stay out of the way. billy turners statement about slew is so right. "training a horse like this is really tough.... the only thing i can do to this horse is screw him up" i've watched trainers do this to many horses. pletcher takes the cake!!

Zman179
12-06-2009, 08:45 PM
The only time I cried was when I missed a $25,000 pick 6 score by a measly nose. Ooooh that hurt.

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 08:46 PM
If this doesnt make you cry or atleast give you chills you may need to check your pulse. If you haven't seen this yet, please take the time to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-KvaeuIIsw

bisket
12-06-2009, 08:46 PM
my fav horse racing song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2MXLcP22Q

Horseplayersbet.com
12-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Same with me. I don't get too emotional over any other races.

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I think it was the Breeders Cup where Pine Island died.

They came back from commercial and said the horrible news, and it was sad, but didn't really hit me until they did a little montage and showed her running through a field and walking around and it hit my like a ton of bricks. So sad.

Also when I heard the news that Free House died in a freak accident

tzipi
12-06-2009, 09:32 PM
The 94 Travers with Holy Bull trying to hold off and beat Concern after fast early fraction(46 half). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPezwDz9MC8

"MIKE SMITH IS ASKING HOLY BULL FOR EVERYTHING HE HAS! CONCERN IS COMING HARD UNDER JERRY BAILEY! HOLY BULL IS DESPERATELY TRYING TO HOLD ON! CONCERN ON THE OUTSIDE!!! BUT IT IS HOLY BULL AS GAME AS A RACEHORSE CAN BE COMING DOWN THE WIRE!! HOLLLLYYY BULLL WINS!!!!!"

It's just great,shocking,bone chilling,emotional run and call I have ever seen.

Stillriledup
12-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Vic = choked up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBj_fpKTrAY

tribecaagent
12-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Cigar's Classic in which Tom Durkin says "Cigar wants to go to the lead and Jerry Bailey says NO.....NOT YET!"

eastie
12-07-2009, 12:50 AM
watching Go For Wand ...tears of joy a few times. The other kind when she tried to run too fast. :(

CincyHorseplayer
12-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Between Rachel A and Zen and Sea The Stars this year there have been plenty of tears of joy to go around.

Glad to see a little emotion around here.Bets and bottom lines are thee reality.But this is a great game.

Stillriledup
12-07-2009, 02:52 AM
I think the most emotional i got was when Rachel won at Saratoga and Durkin yelled "RACHEL WON"

The thought that went thru my mind at that very moment was that this is the best horse i've seen in my lifetime and it was the first time i can remember that i was really just 'a fan'. I'm so geared to look at racing from a betting standpoint, that i don't often 'root' for horses unless i'm betting on them or owning them.

CincyHorseplayer
12-07-2009, 03:03 AM
I think the most emotional i got was when Rachel won at Saratoga and Durkin yelled "RACHEL WON"

The thought that went thru my mind at that very moment was that this is the best horse i've seen in my lifetime and it was the first time i can remember that i was really just 'a fan'. I'm so geared to look at racing from a betting standpoint, that i don't often 'root' for horses unless i'm betting on them or owning them.

I was just on Youtube watchin all the highlights from this year.What a blast!!

Only the truly bitter and objective could walk away unsatisfied from this season.

A. Pineda
12-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I've never gotten teary eyed over a horse race, but there were two occasions where I was genuinely grief-stricken; when Ruffian was put down and when Austin Mittler reared in the starting gate and killed his rider.

titans1127
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
The stretch run to the 1998 Belmont always gives me chills. The triple crown hasn't been hit in 31 years but this was the closest. I was only 10 when it happened and crushed me when Real Quiet didn't win.

Greyfox
12-07-2009, 02:23 PM
200 feet from the wire I'm collecting a g note.
100 feet from the wire the horse trips or the rider slips off.

JohnGalt1
12-07-2009, 02:47 PM
my fav horse racing song

Thanks for posting.

Well done video.

SmartyLane
12-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Being at SA this year for the BCC and Zenyatta. The feeling when she hit the lead, probably will never feel it again in my lifetime.

Other races that brought all kinds of emotion happy or sad:

Smarty's Belmont :(((

Breeders Cup Turf this year with Precious Passion- man I love that horse. GAME HORSE

Alphabet Soup being Cigar in the BCC. GAME HORSE

Sunday Silence over Easy Goer in the Preakness. GAME HORSE

Both of Tiznow's BCC. GAME HORSE

OntheRail
12-07-2009, 06:16 PM
2008 Derby Eight Belles... went from joy to tears. She was a nice filly. Imagine the year we could of have with her running along with Z and RA. (R.I.P) :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTg5h_zMYaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4tqCsvJdEE

joanied
12-07-2009, 07:06 PM
my fav horse racing song

Da Bisket...thanks for posting this...before the first 30 seconds of this song are sung, I always choke up and cry...if this song doesn't get anyone to tear up, they have no soul...
I always thought what a fantastic PR piece this would make for TV...this song with a montage in slow motion of Derby horses crossing the finish line...I can't imagine anyone not being touched by this song....and what it means.

I won't get off the topic and mention anything sad...as this is about pure emotion...and we all know I have plenty of that;) ...

there are so many races that have made me cry happy tears...needless to say, Big Red's Belmont does it every time...and his move in the Preakness, I choke up...
also...both of Tiznow's Classics, but the one in 2001, that one really had me bawlin'...
Cigar's Classic and his Dubia World Cup
Silver Charm's World Cup
Personal Ensign's Distaff Classic
Da Hoss's second BC win
Holy Bull's Travers
Ventura's last win in the Matriarch
Afleet Alex's Preakness
Unbridled Song's Derby...Nafzgar's race call for Mrs. Gentry
Foolish Pleasure's Suburban (beat Forego)
Rags to Riches Belmont
I have many more...but my mind just went out for lunch:)

This is a welcome thread topic:ThmbUp:

Space Monkey
12-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Tears of joy, Secretariats Belmont, Personal Ensigns Distaff.
Tears of grief, Ruffian's match race, Go For Wand's BC breakdown, Eight Belles and any race a horse and rider go down.

My 2 daughters were 8 and 10 I believe when we all sat down to watch Go For Wand in the Breeders Cup. She was my daughters favorite horse. Not enough tissues in a Kleenex factory for that day.

sandpit
12-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Jim and Tonic's win in 2001 in the Duty Free. Tremendous effort against a great field. Watching his groom ball his eyes out as he saw the horse he loved come back to the winner's circle was very touching.

In the same race 3 years later, Paolini's dead heat for the win always gets me. I don't know if I will ever see a horse as game as him. Amazingly, he ran in 22 consecutive Grade 1 races and should have won a pair of Arlington Millions; bad racing luck cost him in both.

tzipi
12-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Jim and Tonic's win in 2001 in the Duty Free. Tremendous effort against a great field. Watching his groom ball his eyes out as he saw the horse he loved come back to the winner's circle was very touching.

In the same race 3 years later, Paolini's dead heat for the win always gets me. I don't know if I will ever see a horse as game as him. Amazingly, he ran in 22 consecutive Grade 1 races and should have won a pair of Arlington Millions; bad racing luck cost him in both.

Agree,Jim and Tonic was beaten in deep stretch because of Fairy Kings closing momentum,but came back with tremendous heart.

PaceAdvantage
12-08-2009, 05:34 AM
The day Holy Bull broke down really tested my devotion to this game...I haven't looked at a race horse the same way since that day. Holy Bull basically ruined me for any other horse...:lol:

jballscalls
12-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Pete Rose told me after Personal Ensign's distaff that Durkin was on the walkway outside the old booth at Churchill Downs visibly crying. Said he was so moved by her performance and the fact that he got to see it and call it, said it just became to much and he cried.

That race doesn't make me cry, but certainly puts a chill down the back of my neck.

i've never cried from a horse race, but the ones that give me that same chill each and every time:

73 belmont
04 american oaks (cesario)
90 Longacres Mile (He's Snipledo)
any one of rachel alexandra's races basically
2004 belmont

lilmegahertz
12-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Pleasantly Perfect's Dubai Win

Zenyatta's Breeder's Classic win

Smarty Jones' Belmont loss

lilmegahertz
12-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Forgot to add....

Any race of Barbaro.

tzipi
12-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Cigar turning back Soul fo The Matter in Dubai. That was a Champion move.

TJDave
12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
This does it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fMlGXU67Ok&feature=related

LA Racing Lady
12-09-2009, 06:38 PM
First time.....Ruffian's final race. :(

Affirmed-Alydar's Belmont Stakes.

Alysheba's Super Derby (I was there)

Go For Wand's breakdown in the Breeder's Cup.

Risen Star's Belmont when the announcer says something like "he looks just like his daddy"

Street Sense's Kentucky Derby (mostly in happiness for Borel, because I knew him when he started and know how hard he worked for it)

Rachel Alexandra's Kentucky Oaks. :)

jk3521
12-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Any race featuring the great Forego!

Space Monkey
12-09-2009, 06:49 PM
The day Holy Bull broke down really tested my devotion to this game...I haven't looked at a race horse the same way since that day. Holy Bull basically ruined me for any other horse...

Call me stupid, but I don't get it :lol:

hey jballscalls. i was thrilled with cesario's win. put her on my watch list but she never ran again. retired back to japan. she could have been any kind of horse.

joanied
12-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Any race featuring the great Forego!

Yes...his Marlboro Cup:jump:

nearco
12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Every time I watch a replay of the 1973 Grand National..... I keep screaming for Crisp to hang on, yet every time Red Rum catches him on the line. Still no less a heartbreaker now almost 37 years later. If ever a horse deserved to not lose a race, it was Crisp that day. One of the finest equine performances I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGaX0d_Pjk

Damn, just watched it again...

TJDave
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
What the hell kind of racing is that?

Someone needs to cut down them bushes. :rolleyes:

nearco
12-09-2009, 07:57 PM
1981 Grand National makes a lot of people teary eyed. A jockey who had been diagnosed with cancer 18 months before and told he had 6 months to live, on a horse that had broke down on both front tendons and was supposed to have been euthanised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEWseunzSdg

The runner-up was a 54 year old journeyman on a horse he not only rode, but owned, trained, bred and had bred the dam too.
Either one was a great story. Sadly, John Thorne was killed in a fall shortly afterwards.

PaceAdvantage
12-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Call me stupid, but I don't get itHe was so freakin' good, I haven't been able to look at any other horse since and get that same feeling of awe. Many of his races sent chills down my spine....

Get it now?

WinterTriangle
12-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Gretchen Jackson's kindness, bringing baskets of grass from home that she hand-picked to feed to Barbaro when he was recovering---- touched me very much

Smarty Jones Belmont defeat....

and yes, even Big Brown's finishing up the track, touching when you see a great horse struggle.

Breakdowns, but some more than others. One's that send me out of the room in dire grief are when they struggle to rise on shattered limbs. "Miss Pretty Promises trembled as she tried standing on healthy hind legs and useless front legs. In an awkward kneeling position, her nose was buried in the dirt."

Show Me the Wire
12-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Crisp's race yesterday.