PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NFL all underachieving team

Valuist
12-06-2009, 11:47 AM
You won't find this on NFL.com. I realize the season isn't over, but for anyone who plays in fantasy leagues, the season is winding down. Let's look at some of the biggest targets of rage:

QB: Jay Cutler, backup: Chad Pennington. Pennington was a near MVP last year and was hurt in week 1. Cutler has been awful and his INTs have been magnified by a large number of them occuring in the red zone.

RB: Mat Forte, LaDanian Tomlinson backups: Clinton Portis, Steve Slaton. A terrible O-line has hurt Forte but he had no business being rated in the top 5 RBs going into this season's drafts. Tomlinson has gotten old in a hurry. In a game against KC earlier, he had 8 attempts inside the 2 yard line and couldn't score. He's finished. Same with Portis. Slaton looked really good last year but he clearly has been a sophomore bust

WR: Terrell Owens, Calvin Johnson- backups Steve Smith (Car) and Greg Jennigns. Age (and bad QB play) has caught up with TO. At his current price, Buffalo should release him. Calvin Johnson is loved by those who lust after raw talent but the results aren't there. I don't care how bad the QB pla was, he was overrated from the time he was drafted so high. The same comments from TO apply to Smith. Jennings is decent but now is the clear # 2 behind the ageless Donald Driver.

TE: Jason Witten. I had him last year, and when he was on the field, he was tremendous. But now, I have to think he benefitted from all the double coverage and attention TO got. Miles Austin is good but doesn't terrify defenses the way TO used to. He's been a huge disappointment to fantasy owners.

Team: NFC: NY Giants AFC: Pittsburgh The Giants started out hot but were exposed soon after once they started playing legit NFL teams. Eli has regressed and Jacobs has regressed to. Jacobs almost made the list above but there were just too many disappointing RBs. Pitt is clearly a different team when Polamalu isn't on the field. Ben is still one of the top QBs but their special teams play is among the worst in the NFL, giving up way too many TDs and long returns. Honorable mention- Chicago. Being a fan, I never believed the hype but I thought 9 wins would be reasonable. Now they look like a 6-10 or 5-11 team.

Bochall
12-06-2009, 12:37 PM
You pretty much have it covered there.

As a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers (the greates franchise in the history of organized sports!!!) i offer up the following explanation for this sub par season:

1) Parker and Mendenhall missed max time last year and Pitt had to find a way to move the ball...they throw throw throw and low and behold they mess around and win the Super Bowl. Now with healthy backs they try to win the same way as last year...by throwing. The most common mistake of defending champs is to think you can just do it all over again THE SAME WAY AS LAST YEAR...wrong.

2) we need Troy...now!

PS-Mike Tomlin is a bona fide stud. Just listen to him talk...evidently Pitt is about to "unleash hell in December" as he said. I sure hope so, we need it.

Valuist
12-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I actually have Mendenhall on my team. He was my 3rd RB drafted but I start him over Slaton, who's been awful. Mendenhall is not the Steelers problem by any stretch. I've liked what I've seen out of him.

Bochall
12-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey Tomlin, does your idea of 'unleashing hell' include a 20-17 deficit to Oakland with 2mins to go?????

Bochall
12-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Mission accomplished. Hell unleashed...Oakland 27-Pittsburgh 24. Final

bisket
12-06-2009, 04:30 PM
us ravens fans are satisfied with the outcome :jump: :cool:

Bochall
12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
us ravens fans are satisfied with the outcome :jump: :cool:

Both of our defenses are not what they once were...Colts and Chargers are the best in the AFC.

Valuist
12-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Both of our defenses are not what they once were...Colts and Chargers are the best in the AFC.

The Colts are clearly better than the Chargers. SD has won 6 in a row but 2 were against KC, one against Oakland. They've got the awful Browns today.

The top 2 in the NFC, Saints and Vikings are definitely stronger than the top 2 in the AFC.

cj's dad
12-06-2009, 06:35 PM
You pretty much have it covered there.

As a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers (the greates franchise in the history of organized sports!!!) i offer up the following explanation for this sub par season:

1) Parker and Mendenhall missed max time last year and Pitt had to find a way to move the ball...they throw throw throw and low and behold they mess around and win the Super Bowl. Now with healthy backs they try to win the same way as last year...by throwing. The most common mistake of defending champs is to think you can just do it all over again THE SAME WAY AS LAST YEAR...wrong.

2) we need Troy...now!

PS-Mike Tomlin is a bona fide stud. Just listen to him talk...evidently Pitt is about to "unleash hell in December" as he said. I sure hope so, we need it.

Ummmm !!! There's a team in the Bronx known as the New York Yankees - get a grip on yourself :lol:

Valuist
12-06-2009, 06:37 PM
IMO, the 2nd best team in the AFC is Cincinnati. They are pretty good in all phases of the game. Didn't really expect that defense to be anywhere near as good as its been but they've been solid. Could they win the Super Bowl? Stranger things have happened.