PDA

View Full Version : If you were given 10k to go nuts at the track one day, what kinda bets would you make

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Serious question. Within about 20-25 days I will receiving a check from an inheritance of someone that passed away close to me. No Im not blowing it at the track. I spoke w/ my fiancee about it and I've always wanted to have that day that I "Take A Shot" at the track. Hit a huge Super, Pick 4, Pick 6, maybe get a life changing score (we can dream, right?). I go now mostly for the fun of it, and to handicap. The bets I make don't allow me to win a whole lot more than a couple grand on a big score. We've spoken about this. I am taking 1 shot. I am not going back the next day to do it again. We are depositing the money for our future. Whatever I win/lose will also be deposited and we are not going to talk about it if i lose. I'm guessing after the hold on the bank I can figure I will have this money available on Jan 2nd at the latest. I am not in a rush with this. Im wondering what you would do if you were to go and take a chance one day.

I want to make bets that have atleast some sort of decent chance. For example I would much rather bet a Superfecta with 11 horses and do 2-ALL-ALL-ALL than do a $720 Pick 6 ticket.

I like doing bets with ALLs, Pick 4s it would be nice to have an ALL that way I can take the guesswork out of it and maybe hit some longshots in the back that I wouldn't have had if I handicapped it.

Im guessing a weekend would be the best time to do this obviously. I am going to browse the tracks and see what tracks will be running live in January. Kind of excited to do my homework on this. Any insight would be appreciated.

Trotman
12-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Zippy, you have already placed your bet IMO with your fiancee the money is going to come in handy down the road. Keep going at it the way you have and build a stake that no one can say "you bet what" and if the bet should blow up they don't somehow get a feeling they lost.Best of luck with the future mrs. :)

Horseplayersbet.com
12-06-2009, 09:25 AM
The smart thing to do if you are looking for a big score, is just play Pick 4's and Supers at many tracks.
You don't even need the 10k bankroll. Just a gnote or two will give you all the fun you need while shooting for the moon.

Grits
12-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Look towards the beginning days of the Gulfstream meet. You'll find extremely nice prices, and live horses, many of which may be found not entered by the "super trainer" tier.

Much good luck.;)

EDIT to add: It sounds like you've chosen a lovely young woman to marry. Keep her interesed in racing; there are few of us at the track.

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Look towards the beginning days of the Gulfstream meet. You'll find extremely nice prices, and live horses, many of which may be found not entered by the "super trainer" tier.

Much good luck.;)

EDIT to add: It sounds like you've chosen a lovely young woman to marry. Keep her interesed in racing; there are few of us at the track.

We have gone to many tracks together. We love racing, and not even really the betting part of it. We went to Pimlico and Saratoga to watch Rachel and follow all of the big races. She even goes online and sends me updates. "Rachel is running in the woodward. Can we go?" She would email me. We watched in awe when we were on vacation in Florida the BC Classic. After the race my girlfriend was literally weeping. So nice to have someone to share your life with the enjoys the greatness of the best sport in the world.

fmolf
12-06-2009, 09:53 AM
We have gone to many tracks together. We love racing, and not even really the betting part of it. We went to Pimlico and Saratoga to watch Rachel and follow all of the big races. She even goes online and sends me updates. "Rachel is running in the woodward. Can we go?" She would email me. We watched in awe when we were on vacation in Florida the BC Classic. After the race my girlfriend was literally weeping. So nice to have someone to share your life with the enjoys the greatness of the best sport in the world.
your a lucky man....hope that stuff never gets old for you two!...I would obviously look to races and cards with big fields.Gulfstream or if you can wait a bit oaklawn or keeneland spring meet if you do not mind betting poly!I personally feel that supers offer the best chance at big scores for the least investment.Pick one large field, competitive race and go for it.Lots of times even if the fav. hits the board the payout is still rewarding!....good luck.

judd
12-06-2009, 09:55 AM
claim a cheap horse at mountaineer :D

miesque
12-06-2009, 09:56 AM
I think you might be better off using the $10K to fund smaller strategic targeted aggressive wagers where you have a very strong opinion and understanding during a much more prolonged period of several months or maybe even a year instead of a few massive bets in a day. This is a more diversified approach and increases your chances of hitting something big as well as providing a bit more cushion to the possibility that you totally blank out because its not all at once. Your fiancee may have agreed in this case to not say anything about it if you lose it all, but don't for a minute think that it will not impact the way she views your horseplaying endeavors as a whole and how much time and money she thinks you should be spending on it (remember the tone has been known to change, sometimes dramatically with the move from fiancee to wife).

Grits
12-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I think you might be better off using the $10K to fund smaller strategic targeted aggressive wagers where you have a very strong opinion and understanding during a much more prolonged period of several months or maybe even a year instead of a few massive bets in a day. This is a more diversified approach and increases your chances of hitting something big as well as providing a bit more cushion to the possibility that you totally blank out because its not all at once. Your fiancee may have agreed in this case to not say anything about it if you lose it all, but don't for a minute think that it will not impact the way she views your horseplaying endeavors as a whole and how much time and money she thinks you should be spending on it (remember the tone has been known to change, sometimes dramatically with the move from fiancee to wife).

Miesque, c'mon don't shoot this guy, or his dream, down. We differ on this one. He has stated that they are not as focused on the betting, though he enjoys his handicapping, that the two of them love everything about horseracing. They're young, let them make their own choices, while there's much joy here.

He isn't funding his 401K, they're not married yet, they're not parents yet, they're not purchasing their first home. IF I'm reading him correctly, he's talking only about only a portion of his inheritance going with them to the window on their chosen afternoon.

Do you have any idea how many men on this site, married and unmarried, would probably give anything to be in this guy's position with this young woman beside THEM?????

I know you do.

I agree, some woman are about NOTHING BUT DOLLARS, maybe this young man's isn't. It sounds like they already have a fine and solid partnership.

I know only one couple, who met as teens and are now retired who started their journey together this same way--its been their joy to travel through life together, raise their children, love their grandchildren, travel all over Europe and China . . . . and visit every racetrack, nationwide, they've desired. Handicapping and wagering all the while. They are the greatest fans of this sport that I know. And I can't think of a better way to spend one's life on this earth with another human being.:ThmbUp:

Pell Mell
12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Serious question. Within about 20-25 days I will receiving a check from an inheritance of someone that passed away close to me. No Im not blowing it at the track. I spoke w/ my fiancee about it and I've always wanted to have that day that I "Take A Shot" at the track. Hit a huge Super, Pick 4, Pick 6, maybe get a life changing score (we can dream, right?). I go now mostly for the fun of it, and to handicap. The bets I make don't allow me to win a whole lot more than a couple grand on a big score. We've spoken about this. I am taking 1 shot. I am not going back the next day to do it again. We are depositing the money for our future. Whatever I win/lose will also be deposited and we are not going to talk about it if i lose. I'm guessing after the hold on the bank I can figure I will have this money available on Jan 2nd at the latest. I am not in a rush with this. Im wondering what you would do if you were to go and take a chance one day.

I want to make bets that have atleast some sort of decent chance. For example I would much rather bet a Superfecta with 11 horses and do 2-ALL-ALL-ALL than do a $720 Pick 6 ticket.

I like doing bets with ALLs, Pick 4s it would be nice to have an ALL that way I can take the guesswork out of it and maybe hit some longshots in the back that I wouldn't have had if I handicapped it.

Im guessing a weekend would be the best time to do this obviously. I am going to browse the tracks and see what tracks will be running live in January. Kind of excited to do my homework on this. Any insight would be appreciated.

On Jan. 2 you will have already made your "Life changing score". If you make this move of going to the track, your going to make another life changing score, for the worst.
Some people just don't know how to count their blessings.:faint:

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
On Jan. 2 you will have already made your "Life changing score". If you make this move of going to the track, your going to make another life changing score, for the worst.

10k was just a general number. It will probably be a lot less than that. Whatever I bring that day will be a very small portion of what I will be getting. I have an excellent job and very little responsibilities. Our rent is next to nothing, and bills are very minimal. I understand this seems stupid to some people taking a lot of money to the track for the 1 shot but its something i really want to do, and have always wanted to do. Also, im not going to the track intending on spending every dollar im bringing. If I am having a terrible day and getting unlucky etc I have no problem walking out the door. It would just be nice for once to be rolled enough to do some fun things. Pick 4s, Supers, Tris, Whatever. Ill document it next month when I plan to go .

OntheRail
12-06-2009, 11:46 AM

With this I agree...

Zippy if I were in your spot. I'd pick up a nice rental with that 10k down stroke and cash a winning rent check every month. Take 10% and play with it at the track. That's a long term play that will keep on paying out.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

andymays
12-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Other than going to the track with "short money" of less than $100 you should bet the same if you had 1k or 10k or 30k to play for the day.

Having banded stacks of hundreds in several pockets doesn't give you any special handicapping powers. In fact when you're flush with dough you tend to be reckless and spread too much.

Robert Goren
12-06-2009, 12:06 PM
P3s would be the way to go.

miesque
12-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Miesque, c'mon don't shoot this guy, or his dream, down. We differ on this one. He has stated that they are not as focused on the betting, though he enjoys his handicapping, that the two of them love everything about horseracing. They're young, let them make their own choices, while there's much joy here.

He isn't funding his 401K, they're not married yet, they're not parents yet, they're not purchasing their first home. IF I'm reading him correctly, he's talking only about only a portion of his inheritance going with them to the window on their chosen afternoon.

Do you have any idea how many men on this site, married and unmarried, would probably give anything to be in this guy's position with this young woman beside THEM?????

I know you do.

I agree, some woman are about NOTHING BUT DOLLARS, maybe this young man's isn't. It sounds like they already have a fine and solid partnership.

I know only one couple, who met as teens and are now retired who started their journey together this same way--its been their joy to travel through life together, raise their children, love their grandchildren, travel all over Europe and China . . . . and visit every racetrack, nationwide, they've desired. Handicapping and wagering all the while. They are the greatest fans of this sport that I know. And I can't think of a better way to spend one's life on this earth with another human being.:ThmbUp:

I don't mean to dash his dream, but I am a realist (yes some would say more like a pessimist) and hence I feel obligated to point out one of several problems I foresee with his dream plan. I think its great that he has found someone who enjoys racing as much as he does and if he really is marrying his "soulmate" then I suppose its not really an issue because technically they should be the perfect fit in terms of strengths and weaknesses and understanding each other. However, using $10K to take a big shot some day sounds like its a significant departure from the way he has previously been betting and even though he now has funds he previously did not have and hence can afford to lose it and its only a small portion of what he will be receiving (1) does he have the requisite experience in setting up big bankroll style plays that gives him the best shot at nailing something, (2) can the fiance handle the switch from being more about the racing to all about the betting and the additional stresses and strains associated with it (even if theoretically just a one time event) and (3) does this establish a bad precedent in the relationship and that last one is the big red flag for me even being a horseplayer, not the $10K. Also I guess I have seen a few too many times women take interest in their significant others activities only to significantly alter both course and tone after getting married (I usually tell the guy they were the idiot in that situation who catered to and agreed with them a little too much and they didnt realize the wool was being pulled over their eyes).

Bochall
12-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Zippy. This is a neat thread...you spoke to me directly when you said that we would all love that one shot with a huge bankroll to just go for it...just for one day. I'm dreaming as i type...wow.

Only suggestion is to do something or find a horse to play in memory of your lost relative. This game is like that. I bet the day you choose will have a horse whose name reminds you this person...wheel that sucker.

Good luck Zip, and please tell us how the day went...so i can dream along with ya.

miesque
12-06-2009, 12:25 PM
10k was just a general number. It will probably be a lot less than that. Whatever I bring that day will be a very small portion of what I will be getting. I have an excellent job and very little responsibilities. Our rent is next to nothing, and bills are very minimal. I understand this seems stupid to some people taking a lot of money to the track for the 1 shot but its something i really want to do, and have always wanted to do. Also, im not going to the track intending on spending every dollar im bringing. If I am having a terrible day and getting unlucky etc I have no problem walking out the door. It would just be nice for once to be rolled enough to do some fun things. Pick 4s, Supers, Tris, Whatever. Ill document it next month when I plan to go .

Well its good to hear from the sounds of it you have probably have a fair amount of discretionary income with your relatively low bills and that this chunk of money will be a very small portion of what you will be receiving.. Good Luck with your endeavor.

raybo
12-06-2009, 12:59 PM
If you're not already a successful player, having 10K to wager won't change that. You'll just lose more money. If I were going to increase my active bankroll dramatically, I would wait for the opportunity to wager into huge pools, like the Triple Crown series or the Breeder's Cup and use the extra available cash in races that I perceived that I had a substantial edge over the public and make sure I had plenty of coverage.

Look at the Kentucky Derby this year, for example. I know I'm redboarding, but, I had Mine That Bird ranked #1, If I had had the kind of money you're talking about, not only would I have wagered in that race, but I would have had the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places, in the superfecta, covered like a blanket, so that, if Mine That Bird were to win I would, for sure, have the superfecta nutted.

If I'm going to wager big money in a race I'm going to make sure that, if I hit, it will be worth the investment. Putting money at risk is only smart if the return warrants it, and you have a substantial edge.

Saratoga_Mike
12-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Read Steve Crist's book "Exotic Betting" before you go betting Pick 4s or Superfectas hitting the "all" button. That is absolutely the wrong way to play those type of bets. You may say I know nothing, but Crist does. Learn from him.

miesque
12-06-2009, 01:08 PM
If you're not already a successful player, having 10K to wager won't change that. You'll just lose more money. If I were going to increase my active bankroll dramatically, I would wait for the opportunity to wager into huge pools, like the Triple Crown series or the Breeder's Cup and use the extra available cash in races that I perceived that I had a substantial edge over the public and make sure I had plenty of coverage.

Look at the Kentucky Derby this year, for example. I know I'm redboarding, but, I had Mine That Bird ranked #1, If I had had the kind of money you're talking about, not only would I have wagered in that race, but I would have had the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places, in the superfecta, covered like a blanket, so that, if Mine That Bird were to win I would, for sure, have the superfecta nutted.

If I'm going to wager big money in a race I'm going to make sure that, if I hit, it will be worth the investment. Putting money at risk is only smart if the return warrants it, and you have a substantial edge.

Thats a really good point about waiting for a day like the Kentucky Derby or Breeders Cup, thats where mega pools create plenty of opportunities for a potential big score so there is a better chance of being adequately rewarded to undertaking the increased risk (those big Pick 6 carryover days, if thats the bet you want to pursue).

Bochall
12-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I think a lot of people are missing Zips point....IMO Zip is looking to have a FUN day at the track with a fat bankroll, free from wagering pressures. Not that he will blindly stab at bombs. As the Joker says, "why so serious!?"...let Zip have a fargin ball with the money (evidently he isnt going to the soup line if he loses it) and swang away.

Just dont go o-fer like the real ZippyChippy ok?

macguy
12-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Take the money you were going to wager and put it away somewhere or lock it up. After a few years take the money out and do what you want with it, you`ll probably be happy you didn`t spend it at the track.

riskman
12-06-2009, 01:42 PM
If I would wait for the opportunity to wager into huge pools, like the Triple Crown series or the Breeder's Cup and use the extra available cash in races that I perceived that I had a substantial edge over the public and make sure I had plenty of coverage.

Yep, this is the way to go. Lots of money in the pools that have nothing to do with handicapping. The races on the same card as the Derby also offer good opportunities to make a hefty score in the Tri and Super without a major investment. Also play some Pick 3 and 4'S leading into the Derby race. As Raybo said, Breeders Cup Day also provides some extraordinary opportunities to make a major score.

kenwoodallpromos
12-06-2009, 01:50 PM
1 bet? Whatever nthe bet, I would check the track speed and check for beatable favorites.

andymays
12-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Take your 4 best bets and do some $500 win and place parlays (two horses). Use the rest for whatever floats your boat. Save $500 for dinner and put $20 in the ash tray for gas to get home! ;)

Bochall
12-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Take your 4 best bets and do some $500 win and place parlays (two horses). Use the rest for whatever floats your boat. Save $500 for dinner and put $20 in the ash tray for gas to get home! ;)

Andy, if Zips car still has an ash tray he should skip the track altogether and buy a new car!:lol:

andymays
12-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Andy, if Zips car still has an ash tray he should skip the track altogether and buy a new car!:lol:

You don't get much for 10k these days. He needs to run it up to 30k or more.

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I think a lot of people are missing Zips point....IMO Zip is looking to have a FUN day at the track with a fat bankroll, free from wagering pressures. Not that he will blindly stab at bombs. As the Joker says, "why so serious!?"...let Zip have a fargin ball with the money (evidently he isnt going to the soup line if he loses it) and swang away.

Just dont go o-fer like the real ZippyChippy ok?

Yes exactly. I want to have a fun day. Make a couple large bets that I normally would never do. A couple 300 to win and place bets on an 8-1 shot. Pick 3s and 4s with multiple horses. Have a few beers (but not too many)

SoCalCircuit
12-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Wait till the Derby and play supers and tris....20 horse field with the biggest pools of the year if you want to play big exotics just for one day, this is where it should be done

castaway01
12-06-2009, 05:36 PM

I have to say, that's really cool. You're a lucky guy.

As far as the bet, I would try to find a situation where you liked a horse at a decent price and then bet all the crazy bets, Pick 4 and supers, whatever. However, after a bunch of years of wagering education, I would almost rather bet a lot on that horse to win (if the track could handle that wager without killing the odds). I've been lucky to hit a couple of my biggest win bets and make a "score" (what's a score to me anyway, several thousand dollars) but then I lost of bunch of smaller bets trying to make a similar "score". Personally, I think if you're getting married soon you'd be smart to just keep the money and use it as a bankroll so you don't have to worry about your wagering putting stress on the marriage. Unless money is no object that is, in which case who cares about making a score anyway? :) That's just me though.

Best of luck whatever you do.

Cratos
12-06-2009, 05:56 PM

You will get numerous suggestions, but the bottom-line is that you take risk with respect to your risk profile (i.e., risk-against, risk-preferred, or risk neutral) and it doesn’t make any difference whether you have $10K or $10.00.

Space Monkey
12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
There are a lot of very cold, calculated types here Zip. I don't mean any disrespect. They are numbers people to the max. They don't get the "fun" part of your plan.

I'd pick a couple of pik 4's to play at major tracks on the weekend. Requirement would be that you have to like some mid to long priced horses. Play tri's and supers within that pik 4. If you've handicapped the sequence correctly there's no telling how much you could win. Just the thought of playing $10 pik 4's makes me smile :ThmbUp:

GOOD LUCK!!

chickenhead
12-06-2009, 06:04 PM
take the $10K and you and your fiance go over to the Arc next year. A week in Paris with your girl and the biggest race in the world will be something you'll look back on more fondly once its over than this plan.

miesque
12-06-2009, 06:18 PM
take the $10K and you and your fiance go over to the Arc next year. A week in Paris with your girl and the biggest race in the world will be something you'll look back on more fondly once its over than this plan.

Chick gets a few big gold stars for this response, its perfect. :)

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 06:31 PM

WOW. This has never ever crossed my mind. I have to look this up. When it is etc. I could take 2k to the track in Jan and save 8k for the ARC. Thx for the insight. Has anyone in here been to the Arc?

bisket
12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
zip take a good look at gulfstream. the beginning of that meet theres lots of good prices and full fields. you get barns from all the midatlantic tracks, new york, kentucky, and of course the fla circuit. lots of favs at 2-1, 5-2, and the like. its a good chance to hit some good exotics. that doesn't come around that often. it'll take a good working knowledge of these circuits to sort out class, but if you're knowledgable of these circuits you can hit some good ones. good luck and hope it works out. let it ride!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf-5Ky2t48Q

miesque
12-06-2009, 06:42 PM
The Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe is always the first Sunday in October at Longchamps Racecourse just outside of Paris. Its actually at the top on my list of "racing trips I have to take" but have just been waiting for the right opportunity.

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 06:43 PM

Okay the wheel is running now in my brain. She isn't technically my fiancee yet, although I call her that since we will be engaged soon (i have the ring all picked out)

Proposal @ the Arc? First week in OCT. This is all too good to be true. wow, funny how this all has turned around.

johnhannibalsmith
12-06-2009, 06:45 PM
WOW. This has never ever crossed my mind. I have to look this up. When it is etc. I could take 2k to the track in Jan and save 8k for the ARC. Thx for the insight. Has anyone in here been to the Arc?

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

You can't lose.

miesque
12-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Okay the wheel is running now in my brain. She isn't technically my fiancee yet, although I call her that since we will be engaged soon (i have the ring all picked out)

Proposal @ the Arc? First week in OCT. This is all too good to be true. wow, funny how this all has turned around.

Well it gives you the ability to propose on the Eiffel Tower, admittedly that is not a very original idea :D

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Well it gives you the ability to propose on the Eiffel Tower, admittedly that is not a very original idea :D

Could do it @ the ARC.. Im on teh website now and getting really psyched. I think im going to do this.

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Is the ARC the equivilent to the Kentucky Derby? Breeders Cup Classic?

miesque
12-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Is the ARC the equivilent to the Kentucky Derby? Breeders Cup Classic?

The Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe is the best race in the world.

tribecaagent
12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
The Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe is always the first Sunday in October at Longchamps Racecourse just outside of Paris. Its actually at the top on my list of "racing trips I have to take" but have just been waiting for the right opportunity.

or the right company.

WinterTriangle
12-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Keep her interesed in racing; there are few of us at the track.

I JUST said that Friday night to a guy at a Christmas party. He disagreed.

He said he thinks there's a lot of women at the track. He says he knows this because he watches 'em. :lol:

WinterTriangle
12-06-2009, 07:19 PM
The Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe is the best race in the world.

Ditto, IMHO.

Paris, horse racing, proposal?

If only I could find a guy with exactly those ideas.............:lol:

BTW, I can recommend a very nice restaurant. Opulent. My sister just got back from there and left me the card. Steps from Champs-Elysées, all done in Art Nouveau, vaulted ceiliings, stained glass:
http://www.fermettemarbeuf.com/en/index.html

raybo
12-06-2009, 07:32 PM
There are a lot of very cold, calculated types here Zip. I don't mean any disrespect. They are numbers people to the max. They don't get the "fun" part of your plan.

I'd pick a couple of pik 4's to play at major tracks on the weekend. Requirement would be that you have to like some mid to long priced horses. Play tri's and supers within that pik 4. If you've handicapped the sequence correctly there's no telling how much you could win. Just the thought of playing $10 pik 4's makes me smile :ThmbUp:

GOOD LUCK!!

Oh we get it. How fun would it be to hit a quarter million on one superfecta? I'd laugh all the way to the bank!

macdiarmida
12-07-2009, 10:17 PM
The Arc usually has a very large field and the undercard has major stakes with large fields.
http://www.prixarcdetriomphe.com/
if you can't suss out the French, sorry about that. But at least there's the date. There are always package tours from the US to the Arc with some touring thrown in. Ask at your track or simo because they'll get advertising from the tour operators (who are typically racegoers themselves) or on PA.

Stillriledup
12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Finding a girl who's ok with you gambling is already your life changing score. She sounds like a keeper!

Here's what you need to seriously consider.

I like the guys plan of spending the money going to Europe and the proposal and whatnut, that's going to be an unforgettable time that you'll think about many years later, its a great idea, i see nothing at all wrong with going to the Arc and proposing at the Eiffel Tower or something like that. Girls are all about romantic stuff like that, if you sweep her off her feet at the eiffel tower she'll feel like Cinderella, right there it makes it all worth it.

If you do decide to 'take a shot' with the 10k, i'm not going to give you betting advice, but advice on another front.

You should wait 6 months or more to take this shot and here's why. Because you don't want to act like this 10k is 'found money'. Stick it into an investment and then after its 'your' money for 6 months, than you go to the bank and withdraw it and take it to the races.

The key to my advice is that people who often come into 'windfalls' treat the money like 'found money' They act like they're getting to bet with someone else's money, even though its their money and their mind hasn't gotten used to the idea that they own it yet.

This is why some horseplayers are bad because if they make a monster score they might bet way over their heads, they feel like they're playing with the 'tracks money'.

Get the glow of the 'found money' to go away before you attempt this. Stick that money into an investment vehicle and make a little bit of interest while you're formulating your master plan.