PDA

View Full Version : A sad day for Harness

Ray2000
12-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Barn fire Lebanon Ohio ...fatalities

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/12/05/ohio.horse.barn.fire/index.html?section=cnn_latest

spicytomato
12-05-2009, 01:04 PM
thanks

sorry to see these stories

as most can very well be avoided in these times we live

equine
12-06-2009, 11:46 AM
It is a very sad day for all of us in the horse industry. I am equally saddened that you think these fires can be avoided. We can and do take precautions but there are many beyond the horseman's control.

One winter am I came to the track to feed at 4:00am. I opened the tack room and turned on the in wall heater and it burst into flames. I managed to put the fire out and reported it to security only to learn it had happened before. Another time at a race ship in barn, we had a problem with light switches sparking whenever we turned them on.

Please tell us how you think all barn fires could be prevented. I and other horsemen will be eternally grateful.

Sea Biscuit
12-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Indeed a sad day for harness racing. To lose so many horses in a single day is just just terrible. Also my condolences to the family of the groom who lost his life. May he rest in peace.

Having said that all barns should be equipped with the latest in smoke and fire alarms. It should be made absolutely mandatory for each track to have this equipment in their respective barns.

Sea Biscuit

Pacingguy
12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
It is a very sad day for all of us in the horse industry. I am equally saddened that you think these fires can be avoided. We can and do take precautions but there are many beyond the horseman's control.

One winter am I came to the track to feed at 4:00am. I opened the tack room and turned on the in wall heater and it burst into flames. I managed to put the fire out and reported it to security only to learn it had happened before. Another time at a race ship in barn, we had a problem with light switches sparking whenever we turned them on.

Please tell us how you think all barn fires could be prevented. I and other horsemen will be eternally grateful.

How about installing sprinklers? I have been told by someone who has raced at Lebanon that there are no sprinklers in the barns. That could have helped. Note, this is the second fire with horse fatalities at Lebanon. According to press reports, another fire occured back in 1988.

You read about barn fires several times a year, yet there are some facilities that still have no sprinklers. Go figure. It is not a question that there will be a barn fire. The question is where will it happen.

spicytomato
12-06-2009, 04:05 PM
there are tons of innovations that can be used to insure
safety to people, horses, property

even if just extra time given to get horses and people out
its well worth the pittance of the price to get things in order

number one is the no smoking around there
boy, try and make that one stick

second is update equipment, should be mandatory
three, is not so costly is fire retardant paint
turns to foam when comes in contact with flames
causing the flames to go out or atleast slow to a point
--you buy some time to saves lives--
sprinkler systems, alarms and better management to check
for abnormalities is in order--

it seems like it would be costly
but what is the cost of a life to those thinking just about money
put in place with due diligence the cost of these products and
other safer ways of dealing with barns
becomes a big money saver in the end

there are several power alternatives for heat and light
that can be used to make the barns efficient and self
sustaining entities ---

hope someone takes notice

and takes the time to learn about them;)

Postime
12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
I live within one hour, have been there many times, I am saddened by the loss and pray for all connected.

equine
12-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Spicy Tomato, thank you for sharing your knowledge! The paint sounds like something horsemen could at least use on their own stalls and self apply. Do you have any ideas where we could purchase it and the approx cost. I agree there many things the tracks could do but can't or won't because of money.

Sea Biscuit
12-06-2009, 10:26 PM
What are the fire marshals doing all day long. Twiddling their thumbs in the fire stations waiting for the bell to ring.

They should be out there visiting these high risk fire places to check everything is in order and come up with their own recommendations if not.

I think they even have the authority to fine the owners of a building if they don't comply with fire regulations.

Sea Biscuit.

badcompany
12-07-2009, 12:14 AM
What are the fire marshals doing all day long. Twiddling their thumbs in the fire stations waiting for the bell to ring.

They should be out there visiting these high risk fire places to check everything is in order and come up with their own recommendations if not.

I think they even have the authority to fine the owners of a building if they don't comply with fire regulations.

Sea Biscuit.

It's incredible that something like this could happen in this day and age.

lamboguy
12-07-2009, 05:45 AM
it truly is a very sad day for the loss of human lives and the horses. my thoughts and prayers to the family's of those 2 people who are no longer here.

beaucap
12-08-2009, 10:47 AM

Sea Biscuit.

Well said SB....In any other business if you are not up to date with the fire codes...THEY GIVE YOU A CERTAIN DATE TO GET YOUR SH.. TOGETHER OR YOU WILL BE SHUT DOWN.
I don't think most tracks can afford that. How far is the nearest fire department? I know with the material that these barns have in them, the barn could go pretty fast. I hope they do something about this and make the track have safer barns.