PDA

View Full Version : Here's an idea for the Graded Stakes Committee

Jasonm921
12-05-2009, 11:45 AM
It'll never happen but I wish they would make each Eclipse Award division contain only 10 Grade 1 races across the country, which would include the Breeder's Cup. Have 25 or so Grade 2 races and 40 Grade 3 races in each division as well. Assign a point system, ie. 10 pts for Gade 1 winner, 7pts for place and 4 pts for 3rd. Grade 2's would be 5, 3, 1pts and Grade 3's would be 2 Pts to the winner only. Each track that wants to host these Graded Races will be required to pay a surcharge of lets say $10,000 for Grade 3's, $20,000 for Grade 2's and $30,000 for Grade 1's. If they don't want to pay it then they lose their graded status. The surcharge money will then be pooled together and have a bonus for the year end top 3 finishers. Additionally I would make the Breeder's Cup a DOUBLE point race in which the winner can earn 20 pts instead of the standard 10. The eclipse award winners will be determined right after each Breeder's Cup race based on accumulated points. Take the "World Championship" slogan off of the Breeder's Cup and rename the big day the BREEDER'S CUP CHALLENGE. Can't you just hear the lead up...."The Breeder's Cup...Are you up to the Challenge?" or "The Breeder's Cup Challenge...Dare to be great".

toussaud
12-05-2009, 11:55 AM
that's like 500 graded stakes races.

Jasonm921
12-05-2009, 12:11 PM
well there is 487 graded stakes races now... Ofcourse there could always be modifications made to the numbers. The important thing is to keep the number of Grade 1's low thus making them critical. Also we have to have an easy to follow points format for continuity of the racing year. The way it is now is a mess. A Breeder's Cup winner is NOT A WORLD Champion. It could be a horse breaking it's maiden in the Turf Juvenile. So let's fix this broken product. We have some of the best thoroughbred racing fans on here. List your ideas.

postpicker
12-05-2009, 06:46 PM
So how will you handle three year olds? Basically a three year old does not meet older horses in Grade 1 races until august or september. Are you going to restrict three year old races to be the same amount of races in all grades under your system as older horses until they start to face each other?

Plus, I have a feeling racetracks will never go for this plan. I don't see Churchill Downs paying to have the Kentucky Derby retain its Grade 1 status. NYRA paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for their graded races, not in their present financial situation.

Jasonm921
12-05-2009, 08:08 PM
You can do the same with three year olds. Have the point system all year long just as you would have it in any other divsion. However, make it that if they do go out of division (to the handicap division) the points increase. Instead of 10 pts....maybe it would be 13 pts.for the winner. As far as race tracks going for this plan well the Graded Stake Committee pretty much has the upper hand here and can do whatever they want with the Grading system. The Derby is the Derby but the other races outside of the Triple Cown NEED grading. The breeding industry NEEDS grading. If you lower the number of Grade 1's they become more valuable. Additionally, I feel this plan (ofcourse it needs tweaking) would keep horses around longer. As it is now, how many times have you seen horses like Scatdaddy rushed off to stud following a big score in Florida before they are even passed there real 3 year old birthday. Make Grade 1's valuable in a point system and not as an individual achievement and you keep the horses around longer. As it is, in a normal economic climate, we lose every Grade 1 winning 3 year old to stud. Hopefully with this plan, yeah we may lose the overall winner to stud but we may keep the 2nd, 3rd, 4th place 3 year olds for one more year because winners are better stud prospects.

Don't knock a plan because of small technicalities. I've been around this sport my entire 31 years of life. I love this sport and wish for it to prosper. However, no one with any power does anything to change it. I have to believe track managers from across the country read these boards. We all have the same interests and hopes for this industry.

In 1996 I was a young freelance photographer on the NYRA circuit. Had some photos published by the Racing Form and The DRF decided to do a fluff piece on young and old fans of the game. I was one of two 17 year olds interviewed. The other was Jason Blewitt, now an employee of NYRA. At 17 years old I stated (forgive the horrible grammar):

"Racing may be going down, but I don't think it is marketed right. A lot of my friends are convinced that the racetrack is some low down place. Then, when they come out here, they are surprised that it is not at all like people picture it." http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/2152505836/in/set-72157603424114036/

This was when Belmont was still getting 20,000 people on Gold Cup Day, this year we had 7,000. We all love this sport, that is why we are here. Let's get some ideas rolling.