PDA

View Full Version : Worst Race Track in the United States / Name one

Igeteven
12-05-2009, 12:07 AM
In my opinion, Del Mar is the worst race track in the nation, if it was not by the beach, nobody would show up. Believe me, me on this, food is horrible, Parking is a mess, One pays a bundle to sit in a good seat. The race track surface is a joke. When one goes there, you are down $25.00-$35.00 before one places ones first bet.

Then comes Hollywood Park,

Anyone else knows different. State your opinion and let it ride.

plainolebill
12-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Portland Meadows or Thistledown. Tossup.

tzipi
12-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Aqueduct. Wish it could get back to what it used to be,but not going to happen. Horrible looking track with not much to offer.

johnhannibalsmith
12-05-2009, 01:15 AM
If you don't buzz in with Zia, you've never been there.

tzipi
12-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Sad what it's become:
http://img231.imagevenue.com/loc67/th_93735_555_122_67lo.jpg (http://img231.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=93735_555_122_67lo.jpg)
http://img138.imagevenue.com/loc1129/th_93782_777_122_1129lo.jpg (http://img138.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=93782_777_122_1129lo.jpg)
http://img40.imagevenue.com/loc156/th_93819_aq2_122_156lo.jpg (http://img40.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=93819_aq2_122_156lo.jpg)
http://img170.imagevenue.com/loc956/th_93845_aq_122_956lo.jpg (http://img170.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=93845_aq_122_956lo.jpg)
http://img148.imagevenue.com/loc54/th_93869_aq5_122_54lo.jpg (http://img148.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=93869_aq5_122_54lo.jpg)
http://img254.imagevenue.com/loc205/th_93921_aq1_122_205lo.jpg (http://img254.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=93921_aq1_122_205lo.jpg)
http://img170.imagevenue.com/loc669/th_93895_111_122_669lo.jpg (http://img170.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=93895_111_122_669lo.jpg)

That crack in the concrete floor drops down 20ft. Scary!

Bochall
12-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Any track i am losing at.

Quagmire
12-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Aqueduct. Wish it could get back to what it used to be,but not going to happen. Horrible looking track with not much to offer.

From the pics you included it looks like you get your own personal cashier at the Big A. That's not bad.

bane
12-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Big A, it has become a dump.

samyn on the green
12-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Aqueduct is my favorite venue to wager on (http://gregcalabrese.blogspot.com/search/label/play%20of%20the%20day), a great anecdote for the poly era. Not only is it a formful track but the view from the third floor grandstand is panoramic; a profitable birds eye view of both the paddock and the racecourse.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_zoiPyRqht7s/SdmzqlEwbDI/AAAAAAAAAeY/h-gnBytqFgE/s720/PICT2636.JPE (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mXxK-nkaOTEKmHgTxJ4Sjw?feat=directlink)

Great view of the paddock from the AQU grandstand.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_zoiPyRqht7s/Sdm1UHmNeQI/AAAAAAAAAfI/73WnZ30ERr4/s720/PICT2673.JPEgreat view of the races from the AQU grandstand.

WinterTriangle
12-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Are you talking worst on the backside, or frontside/stuff customers see?

PaceAdvantage
12-05-2009, 05:15 AM
very nice pix there samyn....

samyn on the green
12-05-2009, 05:20 AM
The crazy thing is these pics were taken from a place that does not exist(grandstand) at the worst facility in the country(Aqueduct). very nice pix there samyn....

Trotman
12-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Turfway Park is my vote, no form to reasonably go by.If the horse were able to tell you who would win the exact opposite would happen. Forget about the food Blah.

Marshall Bennett
12-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Turfway Park is my vote, no form to reasonably go by.If the horse were able to tell you who would win the exact opposite would happen. Forget about the food Blah.
... add to that a horrible track announcer . :)

illinoisbred
12-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Agree,Turfway Park is the worst in the midwest.

Trotman
12-05-2009, 08:43 AM
MB how could I forget the announcer worst in the business.
Lol the replays are on from Turfway now but I have it on mute. :D

jballscalls
12-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Portland Meadows or Thistledown. Tossup.

when was the last time you came to PM?? just curious

Tom
12-05-2009, 10:20 AM
The crazy thing is these pics were taken from a place that does not exist(grandstand) at the worst facility in the country(Aqueduct).

Man, you ARE a good photographer! :lol:

Great pics - especially the finish line......

Robert Goren
12-05-2009, 10:26 AM
I think almost every track in the country has gone down hill. They just don't want to spend the money on upkeep. They rather increase a purse a hundred dollars than fix the plumbling.

tzipi
12-05-2009, 11:05 AM
The crazy thing is these pics were taken from a place that does not exist(grandstand) at the worst facility in the country(Aqueduct).

No the grandstand exists,we can clearly see it in the pics. On weekdays they cut most of it off to the public,but yeah it exists. If someone thinks its not the greatest facility,that's their opinion. Hey I'd love to see the place get back to what it used to be and have them also spruce up the whole place.

Zman179
12-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Gee, this thread certainly doesn't reinforce the thought that horseplayers are nothing more than a bunch of complaining curmudgeons. How many "worst ever" posts can one read??? :bang:

Bochall
12-05-2009, 11:18 AM

As my young employees say, "word!"...Battaglia is annoying with that voice. Good Lord!...."and GAINing ground...". Aint much better than that Wallace fellow at Oaklawn. Gosh, he miscalls horse every race.

Robert Goren
12-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Gee, this thread certainly doesn't reinforce the thought that horseplayers are nothing more than a bunch of complaining curmudgeons. How many "worst ever" posts can one read??? :bang: How many racetracks are there?

Bochall
12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Gee, this thread certainly doesn't reinforce the thought that horseplayers are nothing more than a bunch of complaining curmudgeons. How many "worst ever" posts can one read??? :bang:

Are you complaining about all the complaining?

Zman179
12-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Are you complaining about all the complaining?

Does a double negative equal a positive?

OTM Al
12-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Rule #5: No matter how good something is, there will be a horseplayer that complains about it.

Comes with the territory I guess....

Zippy Chippy
12-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Im shocked no one has mention Pimlico or Suffolk Downs .. or as us Bostonians call it Suffering Downs

Bochall
12-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I love Pimlico....its age is its appeal to me. Yeah, i know you could 'renovate' that wooden grandstand with a match, but the tradition is alive and well in those old walls and skinny bathroom stalls (that were made when America was thin). Ever been in those things? They have French doors on them.

Grits
12-05-2009, 01:53 PM

Zman, I agree. There is no end to how many threads or posts can pile up online, thereby creating what is clearly visable to ANYONE able to read the English language what is, clearly, the mountain of malcontent among horseplayers. Though, not convinced this is related solely to horseplayers, one can believe its a turn in human nature. In today's society, our disgruntled views are, we believe, our more powerful, our more important offerings. Our need to vent our frustration, or to, more pointedly, simply engage in a piss and vinegar bitchfest has grown insiduously pervasive in so much that surrounds us in our everyday lives we are immune to what is happening to our spirits, our insides. Again, not only in sports; but in, virtually, everything we come in contact with daily.

In recent days, a physician shared an observation that will remain with me.

"We tend to die in the same way that we have lived."

Sometimes, we live with hardened negativity, causing discontent, even anxiety; we die in that same manner. It is difficult to change our minds but there is good surrounding the lives of us all. Somehow, though, the not so good is of greater concentration nowadays. The only time we may feel a difference in direction is Thanksgiving through Christmas. That may not be enough to carry us the other 11 months of the year, or throughout the duration of our lives.

And Bochall, I'm with you, I like Pimlico too. Skinny stalls and all. There's much to be appreciated for the way things were.

tzipi
12-05-2009, 02:00 PM
I hope Pimlico never loses the Preakness. I know there was talk about it couple years back.

bane
12-05-2009, 02:12 PM
I honestly don't mind Turfway, it's not the greatest by any means, but they take care of the place.

The simulcasting room downstairs in Turfway is very nice and for winter racing in the midwest it's not that bad. I was even shocked that Beulah wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, they had a nice paddock and the grandstand is not great but they paint it and clean it.

TO me what separates these tracks from The Big A is the real basic stuff a great example is just the paint job at the Aqueduct. Instead of taking off the old paint and redo it they just paint over layer over layer, it looks pretty bad.

Why has nobody mentioned Turf Paradise, Yaivapi or Sun Ray Park?

BetCrazyGirl
12-05-2009, 02:14 PM

I couldn't agree more :D

Steve 'StatMan'
12-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Yeah! This has to be the "Worst 'Worst Ever' Thread Ever!" :mad:

:liar: :lol: :lol:

gm10
12-05-2009, 03:11 PM
How about the best race track in the world?
I've never been to Asia, but the top 3 of the tracks that I've visited are Deauville (FR), Goodwood (UK) and Santa Anita.

Clairefontaine (FR, 20 mins walk from Deauville) is the most charming racetrack in the world - without any doubt.

Robert Goren
12-05-2009, 03:11 PM
All the tracks I visited in the 60s and 70s and re-visited again in the last few years, all have taken a major step down in class. Then again so have I.

Grits
12-05-2009, 03:36 PM
All the tracks I visited in the 60s and 70s and re-visited again in the last few years, all have taken a major step down in class. Then again so have I.
Such effaceable humor; what a refreshing gift. LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLL:lol:

RG, you've given me a great laugh. Thanks.

Zippy Chippy
12-05-2009, 05:23 PM
I honestly don't mind Turfway, it's not the greatest by any means, but they take care of the place.

The simulcasting room downstairs in Turfway is very nice and for winter racing in the midwest it's not that bad. I was even shocked that Beulah wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, they had a nice paddock and the grandstand is not great but they paint it and clean it.

TO me what separates these tracks from The Big A is the real basic stuff a great example is just the paint job at the Aqueduct. Instead of taking off the old paint and redo it they just paint over layer over layer, it looks pretty bad.

Why has nobody mentioned Turf Paradise, Yaivapi or Sun Ray Park?

I guess it matters who you are. I LOVED Turf Paradise, and the Preakness this year @ Pimlico was the worst experience of my life.. I can't believe people like Pimlico.. I was dying to leave.

miesque
12-05-2009, 05:39 PM

I have actually been to most of the tracks that have been mentioned in this thread and more than once and your comment is actually dead on in that it is what separates Aqueduct from the other tracks listed here (at least the ones I have been to). First, I would like to take a moment to look at the big picture and how I look at the situation. There is no place in the United States with a greater concentration of wealth then the NYC metro area and hence from that standpoint racing in New York has a greater pool of potential owners with the financial resources to buy the very best horseflesh if they were so inclined. This is the strategic advantage that racing in New York has over every other jurisdiction. Now, keeping in mind this tidbit, the fact that six months out of the year, New York racing is located at a track which is being discussed in a "Worst Race Track" thread (and primarily because of years of neglect) to me is just wrong. Aqueduct is not a track in the middle of nowhere with a limited population base to draw on. Now before anyone gets on my back, I will say, yes, I know, its not NYRA's fault, they are helpless bystanders with no control over the situation. The fact remains that over the past decade or two money that should have been allocated to facility maintenance/upkeep at both the Big A and Belmont was not spent. Facilities do no get into that sort of condition overnight and one of the reasons there is that "no one give a crap" feel to Aqueduct.

plainolebill
12-05-2009, 11:22 PM
when was the last time you came to PM?? just curious

Not since OTB and online/phone betting happened.......Maybe 1992.

Jackal
12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Colonial Downs has to be the worse track in North America. CNL has a 28 day TB meet. Less than 100 Tbreds were registered as VA breds in 2008.

CNL OTBs are silent. They won't even turn the bar TV to HRTV but they will turn a VA Tech football game on with the sound in the bar.

I asked the Alberta, VA OTB manager where is the bookie? She responded by having the deputy on duty toss me out of the OTB.

The deputy threatened to charge me with DUI despite the fact I had not drank a single beer. I was there less than 15 minutes. I drove 70 miles to watch racing not football - I had no intention of having a beer if football was the entertainment of the day.

I don't think my reply is sour grapes. I am simply reporting the facts.

matthewsiv
12-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Calder.

It is a dump.

With bad racing too,

ranchwest
12-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Lone Star. The last three times I've been there live I've totalled $1500 in profits and I still have no desire to go there.

exiles
12-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Colonial Downs has to be the worse track in North America. CNL has a 28 day TB meet. Less than 100 Tbreds were registered as VA breds in 2008.

CNL OTBs are silent. They won't even turn the bar TV to HRTV but they will turn a VA Tech football game on with the sound in the bar.

I asked the Alberta, VA OTB manager where is the bookie? She responded by having the deputy on duty toss me out of the OTB.

The deputy threatened to charge me with DUI despite the fact I had not drank a single beer. I was there less than 15 minutes. I drove 70 miles to watch racing not football - I had no intention of having a beer if football was the entertainment of the day.

No question about it , if there is a worst run horse racing operation in the world i like to see it, i've been to the Colonial track and OTBS in Chesapeake and Hampton, managers who don't know if Belmont park is a flat track or a harness track:bang: speakers blazing away like a nite club,rude telers who don't know what a box is 3/4 of SAMS don't work, on Sundays you have to plead w/ the manager to get the NFL games on TV instead of the soap operas they have on, because the girls in the office like watch soap operas instead of football,i need to spend all day typing to list everything, won,t go there anymore if they were giving money away.

Hanover1
12-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Bloomsburg County fairgrounds in PA, ya think yer lost somewhere.....

tzipi
12-06-2009, 02:25 AM
I dont get it everyone can complain about their worst sports teams,stadiums,etc but if some says their worst track or whatever,their wrong and being annoying??? Makes no sense. This is OUR sport.
It's just opinions. Does not mean we are right. Does not mean we are wrong.

Zman179
12-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Lone Star. The last three times I've been there live I've totalled $1500 in profits and I still have no desire to go there.

Are you kidding? I would sit in an outhouse in f***ing 90° weather if I could get $1500 out of it. :lol:

Grits
12-06-2009, 09:06 AM

This OTB is in the middle of the woods off Interstate 85, and 70 miles from any city with more than a 50K population. I've been it more times than I can count in the last 10 years. I've not once seen HRTV on. But then again, why would I want to watch HRTV or TVG's talking heads when the bank of televisions are playing races from every circuit nationwide? I don't need their picks or their analysis.

Not only have I requested particular tv channels to be changed to another track, I've also asked the sound to be turned up. I've missed few of Durkin's calls.

The locals in the OTB's bar like Va Tech football, and in another state you'd probably find the same--their own college team being watched on a Saturday. I don't get the offense here.

To walk in and ask the facility's manager, "where's your bookie?" That, alone, wouldn't have gotten you tossed. Your attitude may have. 10%ers frequent this, as they do so many OTBs and they're quite low, low profile, but bookies, openly, flagrantly taking bets away from the house, no, they don't hold court there.

And this is reporting based on 10 years of fact collecting.

eastie
12-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Im shocked no one has mention Pimlico or Suffolk Downs .. or as us Bostonians call it Suffering Downs

If you were really from Boston, you wouldn't be calling yourself a Bostonian. Probably from Chelsea or Somerville, or some other place that isn't Boston.

NTamm1215
12-06-2009, 02:40 PM

What exactly don't you like about Lone Star? It's definitely one of the nicer facilities in the country and is a huge surprise to me on a "worst racetrack in the US" discussion.

NT

Igeteven
12-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Emerald Downs was the best race track I have ever gone too!

Jay Trotter
12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Canterbury Park is the nicest track I've been to -- I can't think of a negative thing to say about it!

Fort Erie had the most beautiful infield I've seen in person -- the track itself was older but I enjoyed the historical nature of it!

My own little track, Assiniboia Downs is a bit of an ugly duckling but I accept it for what it is and enjoy going to the races without focusing too much on the things I don't like about it!

Your cup can be half empty or half full depending on your view!:ThmbUp:

Space Monkey
12-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Haven't been to Sufferin' Downs in decades. I never enjoyed going there. Preferred the old Rockingham. The worst time I ever had at a track was on a vacation about 12-15 years ago when we went to Laurel. It was just depressing.

Best track is the Spa hands down. Went to Del Mar 9 years ago and that track is just too pretty. Nothing wrong with it. Just too many flowers. I felt like I was walking thru the Botanical Gardens.

Zippy Chippy
12-06-2009, 05:08 PM
If you were really from Boston, you wouldn't be calling yourself a Bostonian. Probably from Chelsea or Somerville, or some other place that isn't Boston.

I dont even understand what you mean by this. I live in Beacon Hill.. Is it bad to call myself a Bostonian?

I take it you live in E Boston and must like Santarpios

Doc
12-06-2009, 06:30 PM
It's hard to believe not one person has named this hell-hole the worst track in America.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/blazesally/PhillyPark.jpg

Space Monkey
12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
My guess Zippy is that Eastie is a New Yawker. Taking a shot at you because of the NY/Boston thing. :sleeping:

WinterTriangle
12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Turfway Park is my vote, no form to reasonably go by.

Mountaineer. Look at Race 1 today.

The two horses who made up the exacta were 21-1 and 25-1 (both 20-1 M/L) .:rolleyes:

WinterTriangle
12-06-2009, 07:37 PM
It's hard to believe not one person has named this hell-hole the worst track in America.

Without the signs, it looks suspiciously like Oaklawn from the outside.

I really don't care about facilities that much. I go to the track for the quality of racing and horses.

Hot Springs is also 50+ miles from any major city and no major highways, and their airport is tiny, you have to take one of those 4 seat shuttles. But people come here.

Going on the "internet rumors" about the backside, Penn and Suffolk rate pretty far down on my list.

miesque
12-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Without the signs, it looks suspiciously like Oaklawn from the outside.

I really don't care about facilities that much. I go to the track for the quality of racing and horses.

Hot Springs is also 50+ miles from any major city and no major highways, and their airport is tiny, you have to take one of those 4 seat shuttles. But people come here.

Going on the "internet rumors" about the backside, Penn and Suffolk rate pretty far down on my list.

Never been to Suffolk Down but I have spent a bit of time on the Penn National backstretch (in fact will be up at Penn next weekend) and no it will never make the "best backstretch" top 10s. :D

onefast99
12-06-2009, 08:27 PM

You didn't snap a picture of the new casiono? Shame on you Doc. For those who didn't know it the new facility will open in December(around the 15th)the former building will be remodeled to house a seperate area for the horseman and a new bar and restaurant for the race fans. Included in this will be some new HD tv's and a lot of other nice additrons to the race-track part of Philly Park. I am sure there are a bunch of racetracks that are not nearly as nice as PP is at this time you could come up with. Happy Holidays.

onefast99
12-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Never been to Suffolk Down but I have spent a bit of time on the Penn National backstretch (in fact will be up at Penn next weekend) and no it will never make the "best backstretch" top 10s. :D
The best part of Penn is that Hershey is 10 minutes down the street!

Doc
12-06-2009, 08:50 PM
You didn't snap a picture of the new casiono? Shame on you Doc. For those who didn't know it the new facility will open in December(around the 15th)the former building will be remodeled to house a seperate area for the horseman and a new bar and restaurant for the race fans. Included in this will be some new HD tv's and a lot of other nice additrons to the race-track part of Philly Park. I am sure there are a bunch of racetracks that are not nearly as nice as PP is at this time you could come up with. Happy Holidays.

Why would I snap a picture of the new CASINO? That's not a racetrack! What is the title of this thread??? Who gives a *&^*!! about a CASINO? Not me! :ThmbDown:

The people who own Philly Park don't give a damn about racing or its fans. Period. I cannot find one good thing to say about the place. :ThmbDown:

miesque
12-06-2009, 08:55 PM
The best part of Penn is that Hershey is 10 minutes down the street!

Bingo! Hershey is a neat little town and one of the benefits of me heading up there next weekend is there is a great little outlet mall in Hershey and it does not get that much traffic in December since Hershey is at its height in the summer so I get great deals and minimal people to deal with all with the Hershey holiday festivities with provides a pleasant ambience.

Doc
12-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Onefast99, the next time you are in the grandstand, walk around and ask Greenwood employees, as well as random fans, what they think about the place. You'll see that they feel the same way I do. Have you seen the backstretch lately? Penn National is hard at work making tons of backstretch improvements. What, besides put up a new barn or two, has Philly done? They've been raking in the slots revenue far longer than Penn has. Here's a kicker for you - management just informed the announcer/public relations person that they will no longer provide a Racing Form for him. Seems they are cutting costs everywhere. Check out the latest slots revenue figures from the Pa. Gaming Commission web site and see how much money is pumped through Philly Park's machines, and you tell me why they see fit to deny a $6 newspaper for an employee that needs one. Go shake your pom-poms and rah-rah-rah about Greenwood, but they really don't care about racing or the fans, as I posted previously.

Jackal
12-06-2009, 09:16 PM
This OTB is in the middle of the woods off Interstate 85, and 70 miles from any city with more than a 50K population. I've been it more times than I can count in the last 10 years. I've not once seen HRTV on. But then again, why would I want to watch HRTV or TVG's talking heads when the bank of televisions are playing races from every circuit nationwide? I don't need their picks or their analysis.

Not only have I requested particular tv channels to be changed to another track, I've also asked the sound to be turned up. I've missed few of Durkin's calls.

The locals in the OTB's bar like Va Tech football, and in another state you'd probably find the same--their own college team being watched on a Saturday. I don't get the offense here.

To walk in and ask the facility's manager, "where's your bookie?" That, alone, wouldn't have gotten you tossed. Your attitude may have. 10%ers frequent this, as they do so many OTBs and they're quite low, low profile, but bookies, openly, flagrantly taking bets away from the house, no, they don't hold court there.

And this is reporting based on 10 years of fact collecting.

Grits were you there for the Preakness? They turned off the sound to make an announcement to reserve seats for $8. Since no one reserved a seat they didn't turn the sound back on. Did you enjoy that?

Compared to CT the place is dump. I do drive to CT to avoid CNL. I live near Raliegh.

I don't care for the analysis or much else on HRTV, but they let you know when you have 2 minutes left to bet or if a horse flips in the paddock.

How you find someone to change the channel is beyond me. Only one waitress actually does her job. The rest are hiding in the back.

I go to FG a few times each year. In comparison, well there is no comparison. Neither New Kent or Alberta are close to the service you get in NO.

I have been going to Alberta since the place opened. It's been that way since day one. That's close to 20 years of fact collecting.

I can go on but I will quit right here.

Indulto
12-06-2009, 09:42 PM
... I don't care for the analysis or much else on HRTV, but they let you know when you have 2 minutes left to bet or if a horse flips in the paddock. ...Given today’s technology, why can’t one purchase a headset that can bring in TV audio as well as closed circuit broadcasts for live race calls?

Grits
12-06-2009, 09:47 PM
No Jackal, I wasn't there for any of this year's TC races. I was in New York during/for the Derby. And I was here at home, where I bet online, the Preakness and the Belmont.

And Jackal, they only have ONE waitress. Her name is Debbie. There's only ONE cook in the kitchen as well. LOLOLLLLL Unless things have changed since last Spring. I've stopped my trips there, as I've had other things going on in recent months. Still, I was able to make it back to Belmont and Keeneland in October.

Live racing, anywhere--NY, KY, FLA, et cetera, always beats the OTB. ANY OTB. Though, I work to adapt, even if its for only the day. And even when I'm the only woman in the place hearing, "die 4, die you m*th**f**ker!!" Along with other colorful swill.

Grits
12-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Given today’s technology, why can’t one purchase a headset that can bring in TV audio as well as closed circuit broadcasts for live race calls?

Indulto, honey, you're in SoCal. That technology you're speaking of--and Jackal will back me up, I'm sure--AIN'T MADE INTO THE WOODS OF SOUTHERN VIRGINIA.

:lol: LOLOLOL:lol:

This place is simply a Mitchell building with carpet, wall to wall televisions, restrooms, and a small line of mutuel clerks, that's it. If they gutted the place tomorrow, it could be used to house 30 backhoes or 12 salt trucks. All owned by the state's highway department.

Being out of the elements is as far as the technology goes at Alberta.:lol:

Jackal
12-06-2009, 10:17 PM
No such animal as a headset or the private TVs CNL shows on it's website. I have yet to see a private TV at Alberta or New Kent's OTB area. I have yet to figure out where they took the picture. http://www.colonialdowns.com/otb/

Track Collector
12-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Instead of worst I will term it the ugliest. It was Fairmount Park (Collinsville, IL near St. Louis) in 1994. It did not help that it rained all night and that I did not win a single bet while there. :) Their tote board was particularly pathetic and run down, which can be see when watching them via simulcasting.

Perhaps with the expected IL casino subsidies in 2010-2011 they will make some facility improvements.:rolleyes: :lol:

badcompany
12-07-2009, 12:12 AM
While I've never actually been there, Finger Lakes seems like a real s-hole. Even the starting gate looks like it was bought at Fred Sanford's junkyard.

That said, the track did have the best announcer, the late Ross Morton.

eastie
12-07-2009, 12:39 AM
I dont even understand what you mean by this. I live in Beacon Hill.. Is it bad to call myself a Bostonian?

I take it you live in E Boston and must like Santarpios

You would say "I live on Beacon Hill" not I live in Beacon Hill if you were from the city. We don't call ourselves Bostonians, we say I'm from JP or Rozzie or Southie or Charlestown or Back Bay, or East Boston (never Eastie, that is the name of the high school). I don't understand why you would say such bad things about the Oceanside Oval, that is Suffolk Downs.

Zman179
12-07-2009, 07:21 AM
While I've never actually been there, Finger Lakes seems like a real s-hole. Even the starting gate looks like it was bought at Fred Sanford's junkyard.

Actually, Finger Lakes is a cozy place. Very old fashioned (if you ignore the slots areas), excellent sound system and the tellers are friendly.

And yes, I miss Ross too. I would think that most FL fans miss Ross' calls.

Pell Mell
12-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Back in the late 50s a couple of us took a tour of the countries tracks. Off the top of my head I'd say the worst was Narraganset and I thought the old Waterford Park had the prettiest setting.

At that time Bay Meadows was quite a shit hole also.

Monmouth Park was always a nice place in the summer but had the crookedest tellers anywhere.

illinoisbred
12-07-2009, 09:02 AM

The current announcer[wasn't he at Bay Meadows?] ought to be calling greyhound races." Here comes bucky"

onefast99
12-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Why would I snap a picture of the new CASINO? That's not a racetrack! What is the title of this thread??? Who gives a *&^*!! about a CASINO? Not me! :ThmbDown:

The people who own Philly Park don't give a damn about racing or its fans. Period. I cannot find one good thing to say about the place. :ThmbDown:
The racetrack happens to be at the epicenter of the Casino so you have to include it in the equation. PP is going to make structural changes to some of the existing barn areas in the spring of 2010. The new casino gives the track the ability to manuever now as before it was and still is very cramped. I understand your frustrations with Greenwood they do work slowly on the racetrack side but please stop with how bad everything is at PP. The racetrack administration is very attentive to the needs of the horseman and that you cannot dispute. The facility is casino biased, that is what keeps the racetrack operating. Yes it is a shame they didn't make a lot of wholesale changes overnight but at least give them credit for the ones they did including one of the nicest infield HDTV's in racing today.

onefast99
12-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Onefast99, the next time you are in the grandstand, walk around and ask Greenwood employees, as well as random fans, what they think about the place. You'll see that they feel the same way I do. Have you seen the backstretch lately? Penn National is hard at work making tons of backstretch improvements. What, besides put up a new barn or two, has Philly done? They've been raking in the slots revenue far longer than Penn has. Here's a kicker for you - management just informed the announcer/public relations person that they will no longer provide a Racing Form for him. Seems they are cutting costs everywhere. Check out the latest slots revenue figures from the Pa. Gaming Commission web site and see how much money is pumped through Philly Park's machines, and you tell me why they see fit to deny a $6 newspaper for an employee that needs one. Go shake your pom-poms and rah-rah-rah about Greenwood, but they really don't care about racing or the fans, as I posted previously.
Doc, ask any racetrack employee these days about their job and no one is happy. The industry is going thru a lot of changes due to the economy and job security is on everyones mind.

cosmo96
12-07-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't mind Battaglia if I won, otherwise he is annoying.

cosmo96
12-07-2009, 10:33 AM
It's a harness track, but since I live close I bet the throughbreds there. A real dump, roof leaks, grouchy old tellers, either too cold or too hot. It was built in 1943. It needs refurbishing. Be that as it may if I have a good day, it's the same as Arlington.

Doc
12-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Onefast99, you posted that "the racetrack administration is very attentive to the needs of the horseman and that you cannot dispute." That couldn't be further from the truth. Many veteran trainers, ones that supported the track for decades, recently have either had massive stall reductions or were denied stalls, all so that Todd Pletcher can bring a string in. The July 4th fireworks debacle was conducted without consulting the horsemen, and when many of them complained, they were told to "keep quiet, you don't know how good you have it." Pick a trainer at random and ask if the racing administration is attentive to their needs - they will laugh in your face. I could go on and on, but those are two things that just happened recently. Look, you are a newcomer to the wonderful world of Philadelphia Park ... check back here in a year and let me know how things are going.

onefast99
12-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Onefast99, you posted that "the racetrack administration is very attentive to the needs of the horseman and that you cannot dispute." That couldn't be further from the truth. Many veteran trainers, ones that supported the track for decades, recently have either had massive stall reductions or were denied stalls, all so that Todd Pletcher can bring a string in. The July 4th fireworks debacle was conducted without consulting the horsemen, and when many of them complained, they were told to "keep quiet, you don't know how good you have it." Pick a trainer at random and ask if the racing administration is attentive to their needs - they will laugh in your face. I could go on and on, but those are two things that just happened recently. Look, you are a newcomer to the wonderful world of Philadelphia Park ... check back here in a year and let me know how things are going.
The track is getting rid of many trainers who have had stalls in the past and are doing nothing with them. That is a good thing. I have raced at PP for 8 years and we have been treated very well by the racing administration, in fact the racing secretary always comes to say hello to my trainer. Did you ever stop to think maybe Greenwood is trying to get better quality horses and trainers to Philly?

1st time lasix
12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
The two that i won't play on the East coast------Calder.....large takeouts...past post batch betting allowed....bad racing... and the "inner" at Aquduct.....which I consider very depressing winter racing. I won't play either. Looking forward to the openings at Tampa, Gulfstream, Oaklawn at this time of the year. At least with Turfway...you generally get bigger fields and lower takes

cj's dad
12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
#1- Charlestown
#2- The Jimmy Hoffa Memorial, er, I mean the Meadowlands
#3- Colonial Downs
#4- Timonium
#5- Penn National

castaway01
12-07-2009, 11:46 AM

I've got to side with Doc on this one. There's a reason why I was at that track constantly years ago but just stopped going cold turkey---considering THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THEY ARE MAKING, they have done zero for the fans, horsemen who were loyal to the place when it was struggling, or anyone really. And all their profits go overseas while they claim no U.S. profits and avoid taxes.

They do have some of the best lobbyists in racing though, that I'll give them.

Bochall
12-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Dont know bout the worst track but the worst racing website has to be DRF.com. Try logging in today....you cant.

Doc
12-07-2009, 12:14 PM
The track is getting rid of many trainers who have had stalls in the past and are doing nothing with them. That is a good thing. I have raced at PP for 8 years and we have been treated very well by the racing administration, in fact the racing secretary always comes to say hello to my trainer. Did you ever stop to think maybe Greenwood is trying to get better quality horses and trainers to Philly?

If that were the case, then certain trainers who have sported absymal records the last few years (hint, hint ... look around you) would have been, and should have been, booted out years ago.

I thought to keep stalls you needed to make so many starts per horse. How about less than 30 starts ALL YEAR for the number of stalls allotted, and a winning percentage of less than FOUR percent, should that trainer get to keep his stalls? I would say NO, but obviously the racing administration has a different opinion.

onefast99
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I've got to side with Doc on this one. There's a reason why I was at that track constantly years ago but just stopped going cold turkey---considering THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THEY ARE MAKING, they have done zero for the fans, horsemen who were loyal to the place when it was struggling, or anyone really. And all their profits go overseas while they claim no U.S. profits and avoid taxes.

They do have some of the best lobbyists in racing though, that I'll give them.
You missed one, the best purses in the Northeast for those running there and with the table games coming in maybe another increase to purses, but not a guarantee.

onefast99
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
If that were the case, then certain trainers who have sported absymal records the last few years (hint, hint ... look around you) would have been, and should have been, booted out years ago.

I thought to keep stalls you needed to make so many starts per horse. How about less than 30 starts ALL YEAR for the number of stalls allotted, and a winning percentage of less than FOUR percent, should that trainer get to keep his stalls? I would say NO, but obviously the racing administration has a different opinion.
How about a string of horses coming in to that trainer you are referring to from a pretty large owner! But taking a page from your book what the heck does that have to do with the worst place to race? It isn't Philly Park and you know it. I think your beef is with Greenwood and maybe rightfully so.

46zilzal
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Doc, ask any racetrack employee these days about their job and no one is happy. The industry is going thru a lot of changes due to the economy and job security is on everyones mind.
I love my job and only wish I was there more hours per day.

Doc
12-07-2009, 03:57 PM
How about a string of horses coming in to that trainer you are referring to from a pretty large owner! But taking a page from your book what the heck does that have to do with the worst place to race? It isn't Philly Park and you know it. I think your beef is with Greenwood and maybe rightfully so.

Watch and see how bad the main track gets this winter ... the track super has overstayed his welcome by about 25 years.

WinterTriangle
12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
It's a harness track, but since I live close I bet the throughbreds there. A real dump

Two men and 43 horses died in the fire last Saturday morning at Lebonon Raceway.

"Saturday’s fire was at least the fourth to strike the track since 1990. That year, 35 horses died in a fire traced to a water heating device. A small electrical fire was extinguished in 1990 without causing serious injury or damage. In 1997, 60 horses were saved after a faulty space heater caused a fire in a barn."

This is what happens when, instead of closing a decrepit facility, you twiddle your thumbs "waiting" for video slots which may never come, to save your butt.

DOC, a fireworks display, at a race tracks, with barns housing live horses? surely, you jest. Heads should roll on this one.

tzipi
12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
It's a harness track, but since I live close I bet the throughbreds there. A real dump, roof leaks, grouchy old tellers, either too cold or too hot. It was built in 1943. It needs refurbishing. Be that as it may if I have a good day, it's the same as Arlington.

95% or Harness and 90% of flat tracks don't put pics up of their track(paddock,grandstand,backyards,etc) anymore except for a cleaned up outside grandstand pic. I remember 5-10 yrs ago so many tracks sites had pictures up. It would be nice to see what you were visiting. Gee I wonder why they don't?
95% put up their beverage prices though. Oh look this track has soda for $2.25 and beer for $6.50. Lets go!

onefast99
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Watch and see how bad the main track gets this winter ... the track super has overstayed his welcome by about 25 years.
They only cleaned out the drainage system which will bring us right back to the problem they had previously. I do agree with you on this one but it may not get real bad until the spring rains come.

Doc
12-07-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm not a big proponent of synthetics, but if ever two tracks could use one, it's Philly and Penn. This kind of track would be an extremely valuable asset during winter weather - no freezing or thawing, no hard clods of frozen dirt, no uneven spots and deep, dangerous rails ... might even prevent them canceling cards.

macguy
12-07-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm not a big proponent of synthetics, but if ever two tracks could use one, it's Philly and Penn. This kind of track would be an extremely valuable asset during winter weather - no freezing or thawing, no hard clods of frozen dirt, no uneven spots and deep, dangerous rails ... might even prevent them canceling cards.

With all that slot money, and the fact they go year 'round, I am inclined to agree with you.

Kind of opens up a whole can of worms, but I suppose if they don't look after their main dirt tracks properly now, I can't imagine a synthetic track would be a popular idea for very long. Sounds to me like the synthetics need a lot more care and maintenance than the dirt ones.

InTheRiver68
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
#1- Charlestown
#3- Colonial Downs
#4- Timonium
#5- Penn National
Timonium makes the list, but not Pimlico? Timonium is just the state fairgrounds, and I wouldn't expect anything out of it. I sat in the grandstand year before last and found it quaint.

- InTheRiver68

Track Collector
12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Timonium makes the list, but not Pimlico? Timonium is just the state fairgrounds, and I wouldn't expect anything out of it. I sat in the grandstand year before last and found it quaint.

- InTheRiver68

I was going to let Dennis get by with this one regarding Timonium, so since you mentioned it, I'll just pile on. :)

There are a number of places out West that are just as quaint, if not more. Unfortunately, Timonium is the last racing fair survivor on the East Coast.

gheuks
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Timonium has gone downhill the past couple of years

Wickel
12-09-2009, 12:30 AM
The Downs at Albuquerque--Dumpo Deluxe

WeirdWilly
12-09-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm not going to call it a terrible track as much as a potentially decent track in a BAD location: Pinnacle Race Course.

It's a long way from everywhere. The original location of Michigan Downs, just north of Detroit Metro Airport would have been FAR superior in getting tourists from all the hotels in the area, and even would have made it a tiny bit easier to draw locals.

But stuck in the middle of nowhere, it is a pain in the, ahem, neck to get to.

Personally, I think the best solution would have been to convert Hazel Park into a thoroughbred "Bullring" track, and moved their harness dates out to Northville Downs. That, I believe would have been just the right amount of racing, building up the existing facilities, which are located in reasonably accessible areas.

Track Collector
12-09-2009, 08:24 AM
The Downs at Albuquerque--Dumpo Deluxe

I forgot about this place. Can I change my vote? (I recall there is some talk about moving the racing to one of the near-by towns.)

3george3
12-14-2009, 04:09 PM
#1- Charlestown
#3- Colonial Downs
#4- Timonium
#5- Penn National

You have to go to Charles Town with realistic expectations. Like going to a minor league baseball game or a high school football game. It is what it is.

However, to their credit, the place is clean, tellers and machines are abundant, the crowd is usually pretty friendly, and you get free admission and parking. Plus, the dining room is a first class facility with coach prices (and no "seat charge").

You can't say any of those things about Laurel or Pimlico.

sandpit
12-14-2009, 10:40 PM
I was going to let Dennis get by with this one regarding Timonium, so since you mentioned it, I'll just pile on. :)

There are a number of places out West that are just as quaint, if not more. Unfortunately, Timonium is the last racing fair survivor on the East Coast.

you made me wonder: Is the Northampton Fair meet no longer?

Track Collector
12-15-2009, 01:28 AM
you made me wonder: Is the Northampton Fair meet no longer?

The 2005 fair was the last one with racing. The Fair Board decided to pursue a long-term development plan which includes other buildings where the current race track is and demolition of the older, but neat wooden grandstand. I'm not sure how far this plan is along, but it looks like racing will never return. Northampton was my favorite track and racing experience, and it was in a class all by itself.

The only other fair that has any possiblity of resuming racing on the East Coast is the one in Brockton, MA. Chances there are slim too, but anything is possible if someone who has the ability to make it happen is still talking about it.

On the good news side, I recently read where racing has an above average chance of returning to the Western Montana Fair in Missoula, after last racing in 2006.

Sandpit, send me a p-m sometime. I would love to hear about what tracks you have visited and which ones were your favorites.

Jerry36
12-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Blue Ribbon Downs in Oklahoma. It was closed in Nov. The strongest drink you could get was a Pepsi. We called the Stewards the three blind mice as winners were scripted. The Choctaw tribe did not know how to run a track.

cj's dad
12-15-2009, 09:54 AM
You have to go to Charles Town with realistic expectations. Like going to a minor league baseball game or a high school football game. It is what it is.

However, to their credit, the place is clean, tellers and machines are abundant, the crowd is usually pretty friendly, and you get free admission and parking. Plus, the dining room is a first class facility with coach prices (and no "seat charge").

You can't say any of those things about Laurel or Pimlico.

The last time I was at CT, there were 1-2-3 "gate scratches" every race.

The card finished 1 hr and 15 minutes late.

Unless you know the back door entrance to the track, you have to make your way thru the casino to got to the track - that's annoying.

Laurels clubhouse is fine, the tellers are friendly and make few mistakes.

cj's dad
12-15-2009, 09:57 AM

- InTheRiver68

The big "T" will definitely live up to your expectations

The only beer they serve are those made by Anhueser-Busch

UGH !!!

Way too many breakdowns - ask ex jock Frank Douglas about that if you ever have the chance.

cj
12-15-2009, 10:02 AM

As I'm sure you know, they don't mind canceling cards one bit.

BUD
12-15-2009, 02:48 PM
The only beer they serve are those made by Anheuser-Busch

UGH !!!
Hey!! I resemble that remark
Well I do Well Kinda-2 Italians made me not A-B.

And I thought we were friends---I'm taking my beer and going home!:cool:

NJ Stinks
12-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I've never been to a bad racetrack. I've been to racetracks that annoyed me for various reasons but I've never left one I wouldn't return to. As opposed to saying something like: "That's the worst movie theater I ever went to. I'll never go there again. That place was a dump."

Still, I can still moan:

1. Fairmount - place was mess with few trash cans and nobody around to clean it up.

2. Monmouth - stupid me. I forget tellers are doing me a tremendous favor until I go back there.

3. Meadowlands - has no character. A factory has more character.

That's all I've got. And I haven't missed many tracks east of the Mississippi.

I want to add this. I love Pimlico! :ThmbUp: I don't get there enough nowadays and I miss it.

Gold9er
12-15-2009, 04:24 PM
worst track: mountaineer
worst announcer: mark johnson at churchill. he just talks and talks and talks. VERY ANNOYING!!

hazzardm
12-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Rockingham Park is the most run down facility I ever attended, but the photos on the wall of a 17 year old Chris McCarron were priceless to see.

3george3
12-15-2009, 05:39 PM

The card finished 1 hr and 15 minutes late.

Unless you know the back door entrance to the track, you have to make your way thru the casino to got to the track - that's annoying.

-Gate scratches appear to be getting better. A new state vet would solve a lot of the problems. The gate crew and starter simply need to get their act together on the late starts, and the outriders need to do a better job of getting horses to the gate on time.

-This is one thing that they do that annoys me. On weeknights, you have to park in one of the garages, and then walk through the casino. On weekends, however, you can always park in the surface lot and enter the track directly.

-As for Laurel, the seat charges in the restaurants are annoying and reek of the 1960's, especially when you have already paid an admission fee. At least the clubhouse is not an extra charge. The parking lots have more potholes then the road from the Bagdhad airport, the betting machines look like they were made at the time of the Atari 2600, and there is nothing like standing at the rail, when the "rail" is actually a flimsy plastic fake fence that is so badly warped and buckled that it looks like it might fall over in a stiff breeze.

phatbastard
12-15-2009, 08:52 PM
when philly park 1st opened, on opening day, i remember thinking it looked like a double-decker k-mart with that large k on the upper corner

but still miss Jack Lamar's call of the races....

for neophytes.....Keystone was original name

spent many a cold day there and that walk across parking lot was numbing

Track Collector
12-15-2009, 09:22 PM
-This is one thing that they do that annoys me. On weeknights, you have to park in one of the garages, and then walk through the casino. On weekends, however, you can always park in the surface lot and enter the track directly.

Sometimes I'm a little bit of a rebel. :)

Try what I did.

Move one the light, wooden barriers to the side, pull in, then put the barrier back in place. When you drive down close to the track you will see a few other cars there, so park among them. (I think the barriers were gone when it was time to leave!)

Legal disclaimer: Actual results will vary.:lol:

I'm not sure why they block off the surface lot anyway (other than to hope you will spend money at the slots while walking thru the casino.)

Igeteven
12-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Hollywood Parks cards are the worse races I have ever seen in California.

I don't think any other tracks can come close

SHORT , SHORT AND MORE SHORT FIELDS

tzipi
12-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Racing as a whole is just bad right now. They need to get the fans back. They need to fix up some tracks and fix the racing. I wonder if it's too late now.
But yeah California is just the worst I've seen right now. They are going to have match races soon :D Last week I saw three stone closers stay up on the pace like they never do and run horrible because there is no field amymore to make pace.

takeout
12-16-2009, 03:50 AM
Move one the light, wooden barriers to the side, pull in, then put the barrier back in place. When you drive down close to the track you will see a few other cars there, so park among them. (I think the barriers were gone when it was time to leave!)

Legal disclaimer: Actual results will vary.:lol: Here’s another possible. Doesn’t get you quite as close though. Go just inside that parking garage and park right there on the right in the corner. Then go out those doors on the end. Ditto that legal disclaimer. :D

docicu3
12-16-2009, 07:04 AM

You have to know which teller's to use and which to avoid. There are some land mines that have cost me enormously over the years. Uncommon mistakes on tickets you don't normally check, a) wrong race, right track b) wrong bet, right horse and the absolute worst c) multi race mistakes.

The place is a ghost town most days and the crime and muggings are far too common. Simulcast area has a bunch of horrendously broken down betting machines that can't read tickets. The clubhouse you speak of is rarely open most days. It's not hard to understand how Magna went broke by how this place is run.

Honorable mention for dirtiest facility most likely to be the origin of N1H1.........drum roll please. Albuquerque Downs the dirtiest track and simulcast area in the country.

Worth noting ...

Ocean Downs = Ocean City Maryland Owner wont cash ticket's he sells that pay more than 2-3 K. Pathetic....Cracked Claw not exactly a modern facility

To be fair there are many nice facilities in the area a) Delaware Park has an amazing simulcast area b) Georgetown MD off Rte 50 OTB (sp?) "Gun Club" Best OTB faciilty. Clean, spacious, open til major tracks finish.

elksclub
12-16-2009, 10:15 AM
^^^^ big liah!!

3george3
12-16-2009, 01:18 PM
The clubhouse you speak of is rarely open most days. It's not hard to understand how Magna went broke by how this place is run.

Does the clubhouse still feature the "Horse Wizard" room? Remember Horse Wizard? Magna's ill-fated attempt to...well what exactly was it they were trying to do? Turn horse players into slot players, or turn slot players into horse players. Either way, it didn't last long.

But the room, which was very nice, kind of like a modern-looking tavern with comfortable chairs and nice lighting, lasted long after the horse wizard machines were sent to the landfill.

The absolute nicest room in the entire facility, the room that probably cost the most to build and furnish, was thus never used and sat there, empty, its nice upholstered armchairs and couches mocking the customers who were forced to make do with wooden benches and folding chairs.

One more question about post-Magna life in Maryland: Now that Stronach is gone, do the tracks still sell Frank's Energy Drink? Do they still bring in the "Franks Girls" to try and sell the stuff?

docicu3
12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Morty!!!!!!!

Glad to see you my friend.....

docicu3
12-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Haven't seen the energy drink ladies or the Wizard Room, (Thought the Bris Guy had that one under patent) but your right about MAGNA'S financial waste and pooorly thought out plans for fiscal recovery.

I always though the nicest room was the "Horseman's Room" up on the third floor off the sit down food area. Quiet, just real serious player's most of the time. It was a nice place to go to get away from the loud drunks throwing up on each other.

elksclub
12-16-2009, 06:46 PM
"Morty!!!!!!!"

MORTY!!!????

WHERE!!?...WHERE!!?