PDA

View Full Version : Jess Jackson is the biggest hypocrite in the sport

Moyers Pond
12-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Can anyone tell me how he got Sports Illustrated to buy into this garbage about him being some savior who is going to clean up the sport? Did he agree to buy some ad space from sports illustrated?

This guy is horse racing's Tiger Woods. He wants everyone to think he is something he is not.

You can't go around complaining about the sport and telling everyone how you are cleaning it up when you year after year hire one of the biggest drug offenders in the sport.

OTM Al
12-04-2009, 04:20 PM
This is becoming more clockwork than people complaining about TVG.

Bochall
12-04-2009, 04:26 PM
He is racings Tiger Woods??? Huh?? He's the greatest ever in his sport too? he cheats on his wife too?

tzipi
12-04-2009, 04:31 PM
What's so bad about him? At least he's not an owner worth millions who retires his horses early from the sport so they can make more millions and rob racing of it's stars and popularity :rolleyes:

Bochall
12-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Jackson is wrong in the article when he says(and i paraphrase) "we wouldnt have co MVPs in baseball...". In 1979 Keith Hernandez and Dave Parker were co MVPs in the National League. That nitpicking aside, he is great for the sport. Most owners woulda wrapped Curlin up after his romp in the BC at Mth, but JJ still had Dubai and even The Arc on his calendar, not to mention defending his title in the BC. How many BC Classic winners run in that race AFTER winning it? NOT MANY cuz their owners whisk em off to the farm. Some sooner than that...Smarty Jones is a prime example...Afleet Alex....Hard Spun....why the hell did Bernardini retire?? JJ woulda run them all as 4yr olds.

tzipi
12-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Jackson is wrong in the article when he says(and i paraphrase) "we wouldnt have co MVPs in baseball...". In 1979 Keith Hernandez and Dave Parker were co MVPs in the National League. That nitpicking aside, he is great for the sport. Most owners woulda wrapped Curlin up after his romp in the BC at Mth, but JJ still had Dubai and even The Arc on his calendar, not to mention defending his title in the BC. How many BC Classic winners run in that race AFTER winning it? NOT MANY cuz their owners whisk em off to the farm. Some sooner than that...Smarty Jones is a prime example...Afleet Alex....Hard Spun....why the hell did Bernardini retire?? JJ woulda run them all as 4yr olds.

As I said above. Totally agree with you. These big owners just kill the sport by retiring PERFECTLY sound and top form horses for what?? More money they don't need?

GaryG
12-04-2009, 04:50 PM
As I said above. Totally agree with you. These big owners just kill the sport by retiring PERFECTLY sound and top form horses for what?? More money they don't need?I echo those sentiments. Who wins HOY is immaterial. He has given us some great moments over the past few years. I have absolutely no problem with him not wanting to run at SA. Let's return the BC to where it belongs.....Churchill Downs.

OTM Al
12-04-2009, 04:53 PM

He wouldn't have run Alex unless he wanted him dead. That was a real injury and had necrosis in the bone. Similar to the hip injury that got Bo Jackson requiring a hip replacement in the end. That leg could cause him problems in the end, but I hope not as I liked the little guy. Can't say I blame Smarty's owner. Not an uber wealthy guy and that was his big chance to leave something for his family. Jackson though could have afforded to let him heal and run again

Bochall
12-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah i seem to remember Alex being hurt, prolly from the Preakness stumble..?? Bernardini and Hard Spun are the ones that really chaffe my balls though. Hard Spun had MET MILE written all over him!

OTM Al
12-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Hard Spun was my favorite that year and I was sad to see him go as well. It was a really good group that year and would have been interesting to see how they matured along with Curlin. Not my money though and thus not my say.

tzipi
12-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah i seem to remember Alex being hurt, prolly from the Preakness stumble..?? Bernardini and Hard Spun are the ones that really chaffe my balls though. Hard Spun had MET MILE written all over him!

Yeah Afleet should've been retired I think. But yeah those and countless others have gone to the shed way to early and robbed us. Most won't mount to much anyway in the shed. Such a waste.

Spalding No!
12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
How many BC Classic winners run in that race AFTER winning it?

Actually, Skywalker (last '87), Unbridled (3rd '91), Concern (OTB '95), Cigar (3rd '96), Skip Away (6th '98), Cat Thief (OTB '00), Tiznow (1st '01), Volponi (last '03), and Pleasantly Perfect (3rd '04) all ran in the Classic after winning it. That's 10 out of 26 BCs.

Only AP Indy and Raven's Pass were 3yos that won the Classic and were retired immediately thereafter.

tzipi
12-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Actually, Skywalker (last '87), Unbridled (3rd '91), Concern (OTB '95), Cigar (3rd '96), Skip Away (6th '98), Cat Thief (OTB '00), Tiznow (1st '01), Volponi (last '03), and Pleasantly Perfect (3rd '04) all ran in the Classic after winning it. That's 10 out of 26 BCs.

Only AP Indy and Raven's Pass were 3yos that won the Classic and were retired immediately thereafter.

Well what about last 5 years? Some of those winners had good horse racing owners,like Paulson with Cigar. Skip Away was owned by the trainer Sonny Hine and his wife who loved to watch that horse run. That horse was their life.
Yeah some owners get it and run their horses. Most do not care about the sport and just about making more money they dont need.

joanied
12-04-2009, 06:21 PM
I know I am not about to kock Jess Jackson...and I even forgive him for not running at SA...I cannot blame him for his dislike of the synthetic...he'll have Rachel back for 2010...many an owner would have whisked her off to get bred...
I'm not crazy about his choice of a trainer...but won't get negative about that either...we need more JJ's...some of you mentioned several horses that were sent to the shed too soon...Bernardini, Hard Spun ect. That is what really burns my buns...taking sound, healthy, happy colts off the track for one reason...get those stud fees comin' in...I think this economy, forcing stud fees down, has been a blessing in disguise...and one reason, IMO, that we actually have some 3 yr old colts coming back next year.

FenceBored
12-04-2009, 06:35 PM
He is racings Tiger Woods??? Huh?? He's the greatest ever in his sport too? he cheats on his wife too?

Well, he has been seen in the company of a good looking young filly.

Spalding No!
12-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Well what about last 5 years? Some of those winners had good horse racing owners,like Paulson with Cigar. Skip Away was owned by the trainer Sonny Hine and his wife who loved to watch that horse run. That horse was their life.
Yeah some owners get it and run their horses. Most do not care about the sport and just about making more money they dont need.

Well, as I mentioned, only Raven's Pass was retired "early", being a 3yo. He wasn't US based anyways.

Zenyatta and St. Liam, both won at 4. Invasor ran as basically a 5yo with the BC on target, but was injured mid-season.

Last time I checked, Curlin was only 4 when he retired. Too much is being made of his coming back after the 2007 BC.

nearco
12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Well, as I mentioned, only Raven's Pass was retired "early", being a 3yo. He wasn't US based anyways.

Zenyatta and St. Liam, both won at 4. Invasor ran as basically a 5yo with the BC on target, but was injured mid-season.

Last time I checked, Curlin was only 4 when he retired. Too much is being made of his coming back after the 2007 BC.

Weren't the complicated legal issues with Curlin's ownership part of the reason he wasn't retired after the BC win?
If I remember correctly he couldn't be syndicated because of the lawsuit against Cunningham and co, or "lien" as it were.

tzipi
12-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Well just checking who was retired the last 5 years. Age does not matter. If they're sound and in top form they should run them IMO.

Stillriledup
12-04-2009, 08:31 PM
If Jackson is horse racing's Tiger Woods, that means he's a nice guy, well respected and the best at what he does. Pretty high compliments.

Cratos
12-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Can anyone tell me how he got Sports Illustrated to buy into this garbage about him being some savior who is going to clean up the sport? Did he agree to buy some ad space from sports illustrated?

This guy is horse racing's Tiger Woods. He wants everyone to think he is something he is not.

You can't go around complaining about the sport and telling everyone how you are cleaning it up when you year after year hire one of the biggest drug offenders in the sport.

I have never read or heard Tiger Woods acclaim himself as “He wants everyone to think he is something he is not” (your words).

This is a horseracing forum or least I think that it is and I could care less what Tiger Woods is or is not because whatever he is from a public point of view is what the mighty media made him to be and now he is not that, that same mighty media is scrambling to remove egg from their over zealous faces.

By the way, Tiger Woods is a helluva golfer.

Bochall
12-04-2009, 11:19 PM
You say, "too much is made of Curlin coming back at 4...". he became the all time money leader at 4, he almost ran in The Arc if the turf experiment went better, he won Dubai...what else do you want? If the Classic were on dirt (and i know it wasnt) I believe Curlin repeats. Will too much be made of Rachel coming back at 4 if she beats Gr1 boys again? wins the Classic? Age 4 IMO is when horses are at their physical best.

The thread did begin with a shot at JJ that i think was unwarranted, and i used his handling of Curlin as an example of why i think he's good for the game. This has turned into a retirement rant, which i had part in, but my original opinion is that JJ is grrrrrrrrrrrreat!

My final 2 cents is about Rachel...i have railed on Summer Birds team for going to Japan, citing the debut in March and long campaign, and i think that had a lot to do with Rachel skipping the Classic. Yeah, we know JJ doesnt like poly, but if Rachel goes down in the Classic many will point to her tough camapign v boys and say she should not have been there. She stayed active all year and her last race she damn near lost to Macho...thought i saw a tired lil filly there who needed some rest. JJ will give her that rest, and she oughta be LOADED next year. Cant wait...

tzipi
12-04-2009, 11:31 PM
You say, "too much is made of Curlin coming back at 4...". he became the all time money leader at 4, he almost ran in The Arc if the turf experiment went better, he won Dubai...what else do you want? If the Classic were on dirt (and i know it wasnt) I believe Curlin repeats. Will too much be made of Rachel coming back at 4 if she beats Gr1 boys again? wins the Classic? Age 4 IMO is when horses are at their physical best.

The thread did begin with a shot at JJ that i think was unwarranted, and i used his handling of Curlin as an example of why i think he's good for the game. This has turned into a retirement rant, which i had part in, but my original opinion is that JJ is grrrrrrrrrrrreat!

My final 2 cents is about Rachel...i have railed on Summer Birds team for going to Japan, citing the debut in March and long campaign, and i think that had a lot to do with Rachel skipping the Classic. Yeah, we know JJ doesnt like poly, but if Rachel goes down in the Classic many will point to her tough camapign v boys and say she should not have been there. She stayed active all year and her last race she damn near lost to Macho...thought i saw a tired lil filly there who needed some rest. JJ will give her that rest, and she oughta be LOADED next year. Cant wait...

Yeah,I think Curlin def repeats considering Raven Pass's trainer said they would not have run against Curlin if it was on a dirt track. The turf horses would've stayed home or entered the turf races. Also agree, JJ is great for the game.

Spalding No!
12-05-2009, 01:08 AM

Rachel Alexandra is probably toast. If she busted a gut the way all these various posters and backstretch "insiders" claim after the Woodward, all the time off in the world won't get her back.

She might win a couple of races, but my guess is she'll have an "in-and-outer" type form (similar to Azeri under D. Wayne Lukas).

That's of course presuming they don't retire her as soon as she gets beat.

Jasonm921
12-05-2009, 11:24 AM
The only reason we are talking about Rachel's great season is because of Jess Jackson. The previous ownership was content in letting her romp in restricted 3yr old filly races. Somtimes you have to dare to be great. Jess Jackson knows that and he challenges his athletes.

sandpit
12-05-2009, 05:40 PM
The only reason we are talking about Rachel's great season is because of Jess Jackson. The previous ownership was content in letting her romp in restricted 3yr old filly races. Somtimes you have to dare to be great. Jess Jackson knows that and he challenges his athletes.

If you can make the supposition that her previous connections would never have changed from their previously stated position of "fillies belong with fillies", then the same could be said that she would have been so dominant that they would have changed their minds and pointed her for the BC Classic. Wiggins and Co. may have been more conservative during the year, then we would have gotten to see her vs. Zenyatta. Point is, we'll never know and each supposition is a lot of hot air.

Bruddah
12-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Jess Jackson's age and success in business, along with his accomplishments as an owner of thoroughbreds, leaves him with no ulterior motives for his actions, other than he BELIEVES in what he is doing.

I say, nice going Jess, keep it up! :ThmbUp:

Bruddah
12-05-2009, 06:06 PM

Jason, you get an Amen Bruddah for your post. :ThmbUp:

tzipi
12-06-2009, 02:41 AM

I totally agree also. :ThmbUp:

Zman179
12-06-2009, 07:50 AM

THE TRUTH.

Fingal
12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Jess Jackson's age and success in business, along with his accomplishments as an owner of thoroughbreds, leaves him with no ulterior motives for his actions, other than he BELIEVES in what he is doing.

I say, nice going Jess, keep it up! :ThmbUp:

Hmm...........I'd say trying to get a mountain renamed to Alexander to promote his estate & wine he's putting out qualifies as an ulterior motive..........Especially when it's one that's been known as something else for over a hundred years.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20091031/ARTICLES/910319940?Title=Defending-a-mountain-from-name-change

Vintner and attorney Jess Jackson, through his company Jackson Family Enterprises, is proposing it be changed to “Alexander Mountain,” to help establish a new grape-growing designation of the same name that would encompass his property.

The whole article is at the link.

equine
12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
IMO JJ is getting too much credit in how he thinks racing should be run. Everything I''ve seen is all about self promotion. Guess that's why he wants a league commissioner who knows nothing about racing--note it's been done before and failed miserably.