PDA

View Full Version : Bank wary of check deposits, Which ADW's don't indicate gambling on check headers?

adwplayingfool
12-03-2009, 05:51 PM
My bank as well as many most likely look at me cock eyed when I deposit a check that has YOUBET and XPRESSBET in big letters as the header and those have been my primary two ADW's for some time. Although the UIGEA has been delayed many banks have started enforcement anyways and fear my days of depositing these are numbered before some idiot teller tries to save the day not realizing the difference between offshore and ADW's and denies my deposit. So my question is which major adw's don't have the word bet or indicate gambling on their checks? I have used twinspires and ezhorseplay as I am a VA resident but never gotten a withdrawal from either. Thanks in advance for any response!

GameTheory
12-03-2009, 07:47 PM
My bank as well as many most likely look at me cock eyed when I deposit a check that has YOUBET and XPRESSBET in big letters as the header and those have been my primary two ADW's for some time. Although the UIGEA has been delayed many banks have started enforcement anyways and fear my days of depositing these are numbered before some idiot teller tries to save the day not realizing the difference between offshore and ADW's and denies my deposit. So my question is which major adw's don't have the word bet or indicate gambling on their checks? I have used twinspires and ezhorseplay as I am a VA resident but never gotten a withdrawal from either. Thanks in advance for any response!Don't those regulations only apply to you depositing money into a gambling account? You should always be able to cash a check written to you from anyone into your own account, regulations or not.

miesque
12-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Why don't you just transfer money back into your checking account via ACH or wire and avoid the teller entirely as well getting it into you account ASAP? :confused:

cmoore
12-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Why don't you just transfer money back into your checking account via ACH or wire and avoid the teller entirely as well getting it into you account ASAP? :confused:

Twinspires is next day when linked to your checking account. It's called Ezmoney..

miesque
12-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Twinspires is next day when linked to your checking account. It's called Ezmoney..

Yes, the EZMoney feature on Twinspires.com is incredibly fast and efficient both with deposits and withdrawals.

adwplayingfool
12-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Thank you for the replies, I agree the UIGEA does only apply to the transfer of funds into gambling sites however my primary bank (wachovia) as well as secondary (commerce/TD) have sent out letters saying deposits to your account are also not allowed, I am thinking once Wachovia is fully transfered to wells fargo it won't be an issue as most of the ADW sites use wells as the custodian for players funds but here in VA it could be mid 2010 before the transfer is complete... I don't do the ez funding option for several different reasons, its mostly just a personal choice which I may have to revisit but I prefer the Greendot/credit card in papercheck out it seems to suit me better... when twinspires sends a check does it say twinspires at the top or something else? to most twinspires has no gambling affiliation however youbet or xpressbet is rather apparent to anyone

miesque
12-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Thank you for the replies, I agree the UIGEA does only apply to the transfer of funds into gambling sites however my primary bank (wachovia) as well as secondary (commerce/TD) have sent out letters saying deposits to your account are also not allowed, I am thinking once Wachovia is fully transfered to wells fargo it won't be an issue as most of the ADW sites use wells as the custodian for players funds but here in VA it could be mid 2010 before the transfer is complete... I don't do the ez funding option for several different reasons, its mostly just a personal choice which I may have to revisit but I prefer the Greendot/credit card in papercheck out it seems to suit me better... when twinspires sends a check does it say twinspires at the top or something else? to most twinspires has no gambling affiliation however youbet or xpressbet is rather apparent to anyone

I am in Virginia and have never had a issue with ACH and wire transfers from an ADW.

adwplayingfool
12-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Miesque, are you near to one of our few OTB's in the state or colonial downs or are you like me in Northern VA or some other black out area? I guess I may just have to make the leap, old habits die hard and as a long time "on track" bettor I get used to seeing something in my possesion with a balance on it.... I am only 24 and have been playing the ponies at track venues since I was 16 and only in the past five months have switched over to ADW's and gotten used to getting checks and depositing with gdot or prepaid CC. As my main stay... rosecroft raceway in PG county MD.... has cut many signals and turned into a garbage can, as if it wasn't bad enough before, so I seldom visit. I prefer to go to charles town/laurel neither of which are "strong" tracks but beat rosecroft however I don't get out to them more than a few times a month but like to play the ponies daily. Anyways it seems the ACH option is the best option and I will try to get set up with that although I still feel reluctant to do so.... I guess I like to keep my gambling funds and "real life money" completely seperate which is not all bad but may have to trust my self and link up.

miesque
12-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Miesque, are you near to one of our few OTB's in the state or colonial downs or are you like me in Northern VA or some other black out area? I guess I may just have to make the leap, old habits die hard and as a long time "on track" bettor I get used to seeing something in my possesion with a balance on it.... I am only 24 and have been playing the ponies at track venues since I was 16 and only in the past five months have switched over to ADW's and gotten used to getting checks and depositing with gdot or prepaid CC. As my main stay... rosecroft raceway in PG county MD.... has cut many signals and turned into a garbage can, as if it wasn't bad enough before, so I seldom visit. I prefer to go to charles town/laurel neither of which are "strong" tracks but beat rosecroft however I don't get out to them more than a few times a month but like to play the ponies daily. Anyways it seems the ACH option is the best option and I will try to get set up with that although I still feel reluctant to do so.... I guess I like to keep my gambling funds and "real life money" completely seperate which is not all bad but may have to trust my self and link up.

I live in central Virginia approximately an hour from the closest OTB and two hours from Colonial as well as Charles Town. While I will attend the races at Charles Town or Colonial a few times a year I would rather get in a plane and fly cross country to attend the races live at a track and put up with the hell that is now air travel then visit an OTB. I either wager at a track or on ADW but never via OTB, I know some people like it but I would rather be elsewhere. If it were not for ADW wagering I would only be wagering about 20-25% of what I do now. I am out of town at the track about as much as I possibly can be based on my schedule (aka every 2-4 weeks), I am pretty much maxed out as far as track travel at the moment (but on a positive I do cover a wide breadth of tracks each year).

As far as the ACH is concerned, if the money is coming in and going out of the same account it was when you were using checks then the same amount of separation of funds will exist. The big difference is that you can with a key stroke transfer funds which previous took much more effort and time to take place.

This is as much detail as I want to get into publicly on this Forum. If you have any additional specific questions, please feel free to PM me as I am more then happy to help a fellow VA horseplayer as there are not that many.

slew101
12-04-2009, 12:49 AM
ADW, I really think you are worrying about something silly. You are not breaking any laws. The checks are from legal U.S. companies. No bank will refuse to cash them.

Now someone might, but I even doubt this, ask a question based on the "bet" on the check, but all you need to do is say they are a legal U.S. company. If the bank checks on this, they will find out you are telling the truth. Case closed. Tellers are not there to cause problems.

If you are more comfortable cashing checks than using the online deposit methods, don't alter you system because of this.

Robert Goren
12-04-2009, 01:09 AM
It maybe time for you to get a new bank. JMO

adwplayingfool
12-04-2009, 01:20 AM
You may be very well correct RG however I do have a paranoid personality in general, as previously stated I would feel far more comfortable if or when my main bank (wachovia) completes its merger as wells fargo. Then I can walk into any branch and just "cash" my check instead of handing to a teller and waiting for it to clear. I have twice flown out of state to cash a large check at a Wells Fargo bank from an ADW.... these were 5 figure checks and it cost me jus over 1k to fly there and back and get car service from airport to bank and back....I have somewhat of a problem most don't yet am happy within my comfort zone

InsideThePylons-MW
12-04-2009, 04:34 AM
ADW, I really think you are worrying about something silly. You are not breaking any laws. The checks are from legal U.S. companies. No bank will refuse to cash them.

You are 100% wrong.

You have severely underestimated the paranoia and overestimated the resourcefulness of the banking industry.

judd
12-04-2009, 05:58 AM
i never have a problem depositing sports check from wagerstreet.com

Horseplayersbet.com
12-04-2009, 06:58 AM
For Canadians, banks generally put at least a 15 day hold on checks coming from offshore betting companies.

GameTheory
12-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Are banks even allowed to refuse valid checks? Legal tender and all that? The employees of these companies must get paychecks, right? Cash it across the street from the home office...

slew101
12-04-2009, 02:06 PM
You're just fear mongering. Find me someone who has had a check rejected at a bank from Youbet or Xpressbet.

You are 100% wrong.

You have severely underestimated the paranoia and overestimated the resourcefulness of the banking industry.

slew101
12-04-2009, 02:07 PM
They have no reason to. The worst they would do is place a hold on the check to investigate. Then they would clear it. Even that won't happen.

Are banks even allowed to refuse valid checks? Legal tender and all that? The employees of these companies must get paychecks, right? Cash it across the street from the home office...

rrbauer
12-04-2009, 03:34 PM
...I would rather get in a plane and fly cross country to attend the races live at a track and put up with the hell that is now air travel then visit an OTB.

You mean that TSA hasn't made it all better for you?

:lol:

InsideThePylons-MW
12-04-2009, 03:37 PM
You're just fear mongering. Find me someone who has had a check rejected at a bank from Youbet or Xpressbet.

If you read between the lines on the NTRA article, you might be able to guess they've had a few problems and will have a lot more when the UIGEA goes into affect.

Why don't you call Youbet, or even Xpressbet and say you've had a check blocked by your bank and see if they act like it's never happened or tell you it has happened before.

miesque
12-04-2009, 03:57 PM
You mean that TSA hasn't made it all better for you?

:lol:

Do NOT get me started on the Liquid/Gel/Cream ban for carry-ons, you guys can't even fathom how much of an inconvenience that is for me because it means I will always have to pack at least one bag (which they now nicely charge for:mad: )

rrbauer
12-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Do NOT get me started on the Liquid/Gel/Cream ban for carry-ons, you guys can't even fathom how much of an inconvenience that is for me because it means I will always have to pack at least one bag (which they now nicely charge for:mad: )

Either I drive, or if I do fly, I FedEx (ground) my luggage to my destination....I can lock it, nobody opens it up and messes up all of my "neat" :) folding, I don't have to deal with baggage claim at the destination airport and it's delivered to my door, or, in the case of a hotel, it's placed in my room. Plus I can track its progress. It's money well spent...even when flying Southwest where bags fly free (but TSA still lurks).

trigger
12-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Either I drive, or if I do fly, I FedEx (ground) my luggage to my destination....I can lock it, nobody opens it up and messes up all of my "neat" :) folding, I don't have to deal with baggage claim at the destination airport and it's delivered to my door, or, in the case of a hotel, it's placed in my room. Plus I can track its progress. It's money well spent...even when flying Southwest where bags fly free (but TSA still lurks).

miesque:Do NOT get me started on the Liquid/Gel/Cream ban for carry-ons, you guys can't even fathom how much of an inconvenience that is for me because it means I will always have to pack at least one bag (which they now nicely charge for:mad: )
You guys seem to forget why these airline security measures are necessary.....you would probably the first to complain about the lack of security if (God forbide) we experienced another 9/11.

Jay Trotter
12-04-2009, 06:21 PM
In a similar vane, I run a contest (Ultimate Parlay Challenge) which is sponsored in part by Assiniboia Downs (Canada).

Their portion of prize money is generally mailed directly by ASD to the winner. Recently, when paying American winners they've been unable to cash the checks even though they were paid in U.S. Funds. To solve this problem the track agreed to mail out U.S. Money Orders instead.

Well, wouldn't you know it, the Bank refused to cash this as well and infact charged the poor winner a $10.00 Returned Check Fee. I always thought a Money Order was the equivelant of cash. I guess not! The bank was Chase and the account holder is a small business owner in Texas with longterm connections to the Bank.

I still can't figure this one out????

rrbauer
12-04-2009, 07:25 PM
miesque:Do NOT get me started on the Liquid/Gel/Cream ban for carry-ons, you guys can't even fathom how much of an inconvenience that is for me because it means I will always have to pack at least one bag (which they now nicely charge for:mad: )
You guys seem to forget why these airline security measures are necessary.....you would probably the first to complain about the lack of security if (God forbide) we experienced another 9/11.

You're right. With TSA we're forever safe.