PDA

View Full Version : First Time Gelding after Layoff

RainMan
12-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Was wondering if there were any stats on strike rates for 1st Time Geldings. Discarded one a couple of weeks ago because of almost a year lay-off who romped at 19-1 with Johnny V. I have never incorporated this angle into my handicapping but it sure makes sense.

the_fat_man
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
This has been my ONLY angle in close to 40 years of racing. I just look for 1st time geldings and POUNCE. This has proven to be incredibly LUCRATIVE over the years. But, don't let everyone in on it. :rolleyes:

andymays
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
gelded since last, up in class, competent trainer, good works since gelded, poor prior form, then 5-1 or better (hopefully 10 or 20-1).

garyscpa
12-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Mark Cramer said he tested first time Lasix on himself, but as hardcore as he is, he refused to test this angle on himself.

Easy Goer
12-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Where does one find the info that alerts you to "Gelded Since Last Start"? Certainly in KY, LA, FL, & So. Cal its not exactly public info & the DRF has failed to make it a standard alert like 1st Time Lasix.

andymays
12-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Where does one find the info that alerts you to "Gelded Since Last Start"? Certainly in KY, LA, FL, & So. Cal its not exactly public info & the DRF has failed to make it a standard alert like 1st Time Lasix.

In Southern California it should be at the bottom of each program page or listed in the changes for each day.

Easy Goer
12-03-2009, 03:48 AM
In Southern California it should be at the bottom of each program page or listed in the changes for each day.

Thanks for this info. I've sent emails into DRF asking them to include it in the form like 1st Time Lasix, but no response.

Fingal
12-03-2009, 11:58 AM

How hard would it be to print a small pair of scissors or scapel in the program where the blinker changes are listed ?

andymays
12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
How hard would it be to print a small pair of scissors or scapel in the program where the blinker changes are listed ?

They can't afford the extra ink out here in California. They went tapped on the Synthetic surface installs. They are planning to raise the take soon and I guess they could add a little extra for INK! ;)

Light
12-03-2009, 12:36 PM
If you are suspicious that a horse may have been gelded since its last start,just check for the presence or absence of the "g" in the Bris or Equibase result files compared to todays program. Of course we shouldn't have to dig up this info for ourselves as paying customers,but they only listen when you hit them in their wallet.

johnhannibalsmith
12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
In my experience and assuming that the California tracks use InCompass software, which I am fairly certain that they do, the 1st time gelding notation should appear at the bottom of the program precisely where the equipment changes are listed.

The protocol for reporting the change used to be pretty tedious and it still can be a pain if it isn't reported at the time of entry so that it can be inputed as an "equipment change".

I know that the Daily Racing Form is very good at identifying discrepencies in reported changes - for example, a horse that is entered as 'blinkers on' but in reality is a regular blinker user does not appear as 'blinkers on' in the DRF 'proof', yet the program coordinator for the race track is expected to identify this discrepency and edit the mistake for program production.

I suspect that recognizing the data field for 'first time gelding' is lacking in the DRF or has proven to be such an unreliable source of information that they have decided not to risk disseminating potentially erroneous information.

Again, these are just suspicions, but as players that take this information seriously - I urge you to compel the industry to continue the progress in recent years towards reporting this information in a more timely and accurate manner. California, to the best of my knowledge, actually rates among the best with regards to policy in this area with reasonably severe penalties for failure to report changes in gender. :ThmbUp:

Handiman
12-03-2009, 02:59 PM
After our two kids were born, I know that when my wife had me Gelded I could run like the wind since I was so much lighter! :lol:

Handi :cool:

Space Monkey
12-03-2009, 03:26 PM
I got gelded in Feb 1982 after our third filly. Drove home in a Ford Pinto over pot holed New England roads :eek: . When I got out of the car I couldn't have run even if Elin was chasing me with a 5 iron in her hand. :lol:

Steve 'StatMan'
12-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm not trusting that information on being gelded gets reported promptly, the info we see in past performances may or may not reflect being gelded. Also, from what I've experienced in IL, they tend to annouce that the horse is racing as a gelding, but that doesn't necessarily mean this is the first time the horse is racing since being gelded. And if the information doesn't get to the Equibase Chart Callers, who are busy preparing for the upcoming race or entering the data from that past race, the change may not necessarily be reflected next time in the PPS either (as well as 1st Lasix and blinkers change errors carrying over from the program & pps into the charts and into the next program and pps, etc.)

skate
12-03-2009, 06:46 PM
This has been my ONLY angle in close to 40 years of racing. I just look for 1st time geldings and POUNCE. This has proven to be incredibly LUCRATIVE over the years. But, don't let everyone in on it. :rolleyes:

Even when you let them in...

I had a friend , as he was leaving, remind me of the "G" in later race,
I forgot.
sHe paid $200 and that's where the term "Bitch" came from.

bisket
12-03-2009, 06:56 PM
if the horsey is gelded; how can he have a first time? ;)

Steve 'StatMan'
12-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Never had it. Never will. Don't you feel sorry for 7-Up?

Tom
12-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Like the Man said...

Make 7
Up Yours!

Is gelding why they say "They're OFF!"

takeout
12-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm not trusting that information on being gelded gets reported promptly, Me either. In fact, I’m not trusting that it gets reported at all. Like a Bull has had 4 starts now and according to BRIS result charts has been a horse in every one of them.

onefast99
12-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Look for the nut sacks on the barn roof, the only true sign of a gelding!

docicu3
12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
If you use YOUBET they display a new gelding on their platform as a bloody "g"......nice touch actually. Maybe not....