PDA

View Full Version : Realplayer plus?

bedford35
08-07-2001, 04:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone on this board uses Realplayer plus to watch races. This is the pay version of the program which I think sells for $30. It says on their website that with the plus version and broadband you can get whole-screen video instead of the small picture with the free version. Is the full picture still of high quality? Does the program as a whole make the video significantly better than the free version? I was considering using it now in conjunction with downloadable replays from Compurace, especially now with TRN closed. Anybody doing this already? Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

bedford35

Tim
08-08-2001, 09:03 AM
Bedford35,

I use Realplayer Plus Version 8 with Compurace downloads. It works fine. The picture quality is OK. The biggest problem that I have had to deal with is the size of the replay files. 50 meg is the average download per race card. Compurace runs a good shop. Occasionally they put up a bad replay file but usually fix it by the following Tuesday. With Realplayer carefully read the privacy options. I would suggust you opt out of everything.

Tim

Dave Schwartz
08-08-2001, 11:53 AM
I cannot comment on the not-free version of RealPlayer. But, if RealJukebox is any indication, it was so buggy that I returned it. A very unstable product.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Tim
08-08-2001, 01:11 PM
Dave,

RealJukeBox is not a safe program. Downloading and playing music with an interactive program is not a good idea. It probably wasn't bugs but conflicts with your firewall. If you want to run a wide open Windows 98 or Windows Me platform with RealJukebox reporting back your activites it won't crash. The question is how long would you last before you are hacked.

Tim

andicap
08-08-2001, 03:03 PM
My Realplayer Basic 8 continually crashes on me and will often crash as I'm trying to load a site. I'm using Win ME. Any insights here?

Tom
08-08-2001, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by andicap
My Realplayer Basic 8 continually crashes on me and will often crash as I'm trying to load a site. I'm using Win ME. Any insights here?

Yes. It is a Windows@ program. It is supposed to crash.
~G~

BTW, I have Beyer pars for the classes you are looking for. I'll dig them out when I get home tonight.
Tom