PDA

View Full Version : What went on here???

takeout
11-30-2009, 03:36 AM
Talk about “high strangeness”. Check out the PP’s for the :3: horse in the 7th at CT on 11-29-09. Sale price listed as 410k and the horse makes its first lifetime start in a maiden 4k claimer! And, gets claimed by, guess who, the breeder!

(Runs back in a MC16000, gets claimed again. Two races later (yesterday) it had to be vanned off after the race.)

Am I seeing this right? Can anyone fill me in on what happened there? I wish I had something I could sell for 410k and then buy back for 4. Good work if you can get it.

cj
11-30-2009, 08:38 AM
A horse that hasn't run is only worth what he is capable of doing right now. The sale price doesn't matter. The horse didn't start until late in his 5 year old season so he obviously had big problems.

There is no telling why the breeder wanted him back. Maybe it was just sentimental. But, it looks like he made out twice earning another $12,000 or so on the claim.

Chase
11-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Story from Bloodhorse.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/52083/sale-purchase-like-a-bull-takes-long-way-home

onefast99
11-30-2009, 09:07 AM
In the first race today(Monday)at the Meadowlands there is a 375k 2yo who is in for 16k. This happens all the time.

wisconsin
11-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Dave Feldman (Woulda Coulda Shoulda) wrote in his book that a "mutt is a mutt". Some horse can't run a lick, regardless of the price tag.

takeout
11-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks all. That helped fill in a lot of the gaps. Didn’t realize there had been a story on it.

I’m still a bit confused by this:
[snip]
King, who said he purchased Like a Bull, said: “I bought him, I ran him, and I lost him. And, I made a little bit of money on the deal.”
[snip]

If King made a little money on the deal he must’ve paid very little for the horse (?) (2nd money in the race at Tdn was only worth $1,200). Must’ve been a total loss for the original buyer at the sale, I guess?

PS: Is it a gelding or a horse? The article says gelding and my PP’s say horse.

Sekrah
11-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Me thinks King is lying.

I have a hard time believe this horse was such a trainwreck that the original owners couldn't find a buyer, but is so sound now that he looks good enough to race at higher levels.

takeout
12-03-2009, 07:21 AM
PS: Is it a gelding or a horse? The article says gelding and my PP’s say horse.

It's a gelding. Probably been wrong in the PP's forever.