PDA

View Full Version : question about horse of the year discussion

toussaud
11-30-2009, 12:09 AM
I just thought about this. And I'm not saying i'm for either horse or against either horse....

but how can you in one sentence say 'gio ponti should not win the older horse of the year becuase that award is understood to go to the best older DIRT horse in the country"

then

turn around and say zenyatta should be horse of the year

when neither of them have won a race or even ran in a race on dirt all year long?

hypothetically, if zenyatta does win the hoy, gio ponti should receive every last vote for older horse of the year.

Moyers Pond
11-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Gio Ponti is going to win that Eclipse, so this really doesn't matter.

You don't need to run on dirt to win any Eclipse Award. There are some grass specific awards, but no dirt specific awards.

John Henry was HOY with basically just turf wins, I believe in 1984.

The Rachel Alexandra- Zenyatta debate is really sort of a joke. It is essentially meaningless because neither is a stallion, and it really is nothing more than a popularity contest among turf writers. Unless awards are decided on the track they really mean nothing.

ghostyapper
11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Gio Ponti should absolutely win older male. This was a weak group of older horses and his resume stands head and shoulders above any other. There is no requirement for older male that races must be won on the dirt.

11cashcall
11-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Gio Ponti winning older male would mean what?