PDA

View Full Version : Florida - Texas for the BCS Big Enchilada

rrbauer
11-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Both should win their conference "playoff" games handily. This leaves TCU to play either Cincy or Boise St with Alabama getting the odd man out. I'm assuming that Cincy will beat Pitt, but their "D" looked a little shaky last week.

A lot of teams (Ga Tech, Pitt, Okla St, Clemson, NC) went down a notch in terms of bowl selection and Ohio State ends up in a nice spot.

Oregon - Oregon St for the Rose Bowl berth. I guess Ohio State gets the other bid? Five straight Big-10 titles for Tressel. I've knocked him plenty but his programs remain up there.

Why would Brian Kelly leave Cincy for Notre Dame? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

DanG
11-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Both should win their conference "playoff" games handily.
I sincerely hope your right but I see Bama giving the Gators fits. I see three areas that Alabama can exploit…

• Missing the game planning of Dan Mullen vs. Saban.

• Special teams

• Rush off the edge that has given Florida tackles (and backs) fits this year.

If they do get past the tide and it is Texas the same 3 concerns apply imo. Muschamp is a genius at designing edge blitzes.

Having said all that, I admit my heart (and daughter) is too close to the Florida program to see the forest for the trees, so I hope your prediction of “handily” plays out.

BTW: We saw the documentary again last night ESPN did on Tebow coming out of high school called “The Chosen One”. To follow that expectation / bull’s-eye with the college career he has had is remarkable. It now it seems to be in vogue to hate Florida / Tebow / Zenyatta :D, but if he hasn’t at least earned the nations respect by now…its time to evaluate yourself imo.

BTW-II: I don’t think we could watch a more entertaining game then TCU vs. Boise :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

schweitz
11-29-2009, 02:51 PM
As a TCU fan I don't want to see it. We beat them in a bowl last year and the TCU team this year would just roll over them. Not too excited about a TCU/Cincy match-up either for the same reason. Would prefer to play the Florida/Alabama loser if Texas beats Nebraska.

TheStageIsSet
11-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Why does the media keeps saying Tebow is trying to win his 3rd national title,,Chris leak was the QB 3 years ago,BTW meyer won with Zooks recruitng class,Tebow has won 1 as the starting Qb.He was the backup and played a few minutes in a blowout vs Ohio state.

DanG
11-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Why does the media keeps saying Tebow is trying to win his 3rd national title,,Chris leak was the QB 3 years ago,BTW meyer won with Zooks recruitng class,Tebow has won 1 as the starting Qb.He was the backup and played a few minutes in a blowout vs Ohio state.
Fair point…

However; imo the four year 3rd string punter (or assistant trainer) is also a 2-time national champion. I’ve yet to meet an x- college player who doesn’t talk in terms of team accomplishments.

ElKabong
11-29-2009, 10:13 PM
rrbauer- doubt TEXAS beats Nebraska "easily". Our offense is inches from a turnover half of every pass we throw w/ our attack. Greg Davis asks Colt to thread a needle every play almost, just flirting with disaster. If the NU manhandles our o-line like they do most others, an upset isn't out of the question.

DanG- Right on about BMF (Muschamp). His defense has been awesome. A&M gave us fits, but it's been years since I've seen a QB make the kind of throws JJ made thurs nite...some incredible catches too. Can't defend that.

As for Tebow I didn't give him a rats ass chance to play qb in the league...but, his game vs free shoes changed my mind for good. Checked down when he had to, made good decisions. Hopefully he won't run into the same bullshit Vince ran into (having a Norm Chow type as an OC & trying to "become" a pocket passer and leaving his strength as a player unused).

I feel bad for the loser of the SEC CCG. Like Bama did last year, they have to play a meaningless game vs an opponent that's likely hyped. TEXAS had the same problem in the fiesta last yr, that team was flat as a pancake ala 2000 cotton bowl.

dav4463
11-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Texas may win the national championship and not even be the best team in the state. TCU can play with anyone in the country and that includes Texas, Alabama and Florida.

I would like to see Boise State play TCU again, while Texas plays Florida/Alabama winner...I think Cincy may lose to Pitt.

Then, someone like Jerry Jones could step in with all his money and invite the winners to "JerryWorld" to play a non-sanctioned championship game! :ThmbUp:

ElKabong
11-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Just think, Dave. If a Baylor grad weren't the gov at the time of the formation of the big12, TCU would have been in the big 12. Ann Richards (shitty gov, democrat at that) was going to cut off funding to anm and TEXAS unless the bears got in. The big 8 U's wanted TCU b/c of the DFW market. Richards sentenced her alma mater to being an eternal basement dwellar. Served her right.

As for TCU, every time they play a good TEXAS or 0u team, TCU gets blown off the field. IMO this year is no different. They did beat 0u in 2006, days after the 0u QB was tossed off the team for ncaa violations. 0u wound up playing a WR at qb....that "win" for TCU wwas no big deal.

TCU has beaten TEXAS once in the last 40+ years. This year would be no different.

ElKabong
11-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Dave, justa follow up note.....I'd bet the SEC winner wins the MNC.

This yr's TEXAS team is a notch below the 2008 team that watched an inferior 0u team play and lose (as usual) in the big game. I honestly believed we were best last year, didn't get a chance to prove it.

If we play Bama, their power running game is tailor made to beat our D....If we play Florida, I don't think our D has the speed necessary to hold them to 30 pts or less & the Gator D is really stout when focused.

Our only chance is what I dislike about the whole Bowel game process..... Teams sit on their asses for 5 weeks before playing the biggest game of the year....teams can rot in 5 weeks time. I recall how rusty our team was vs USC in 2005/ jan 2006 in the Rose Bowl. Took us 20 minutes to get our shit together. The system has to change. Imagine if the nfl sat idle for 5 weeks before the super bowl? The ncaa Bowel system used is teats on a boar hog.

BirdstoneFTW
11-30-2009, 01:08 AM

The Gators don't even make the National Championship in 2006 without Tebow. That 4th down rush against Tennessee he made helped them win that game. Oh and another 4th down in the South Carolina game that season while still in their own territory. Jarvis Moss' game against South Carolina also helped the Gators make and win the Title. Tebow doesn't win that without Leak and Leak doesn't win it without Tebow. You could also say Percy Harvin, Andre Caldwell, Jarvis Moss, Dallas Baker, Reggie Nelson, etc needed each other to win. As mentioned previously in this thread, it really is a team accomplishment. Tebow didn't play every postion on Offense, Defense, and Special Teams so it is his title as much as anyone's who contributed on the 2006-07 National Championship team.

As for Meyer he validated his ability to win with his own player's last year and this year (no matter the outcome).Don't forget Percy Harvin was a Freshman when the Gators won the title in 2006 along with Tebow. It really isn't Urban's fault that Ron Zook is a great recruiter, but a bad coach. :lol: It also isn't Urban's fault that he can get the most out of his player's every week unlike Ron did.

ElKabong
11-30-2009, 01:16 AM
True that. Meyer gets a lot out of other's recruits as well as his own. Best coach going right now. Someone should should shoot him if he thinks of taking the ND job. He's right where he needs to be (climate, recruiting base, easier admissions than ND, an already fawning alumni and fan base, ETC).

schweitz
11-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Just think, Dave. If a Baylor grad weren't the gov at the time of the formation of the big12, TCU would have been in the big 12. Ann Richards (shitty gov, democrat at that) was going to cut off funding to anm and TEXAS unless the bears got in. The big 8 U's wanted TCU b/c of the DFW market. Richards sentenced her alma mater to being an eternal basement dwellar. Served her right.

As for TCU, every time they play a good TEXAS or 0u team, TCU gets blown off the field. IMO this year is no different. They did beat 0u in 2006, days after the 0u QB was tossed off the team for ncaa violations. 0u wound up playing a WR at qb....that "win" for TCU wwas no big deal.

TCU has beaten TEXAS once in the last 40+ years. This year would be no different.

Every time TCU plays OU or TEXAS it is at their field. I don't think you have been paying attention to THIS years TCU. They can play with anybody.
I know it's hard for a UT alum to accept that. ;)

dav4463
11-30-2009, 02:49 AM
I also believe that this year's TCU team is the best team they have ever put on the field. They are more balanced than any team in the country. Texas would have their hands full with TCU this year.

cj
11-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Just another case of a great season that is going to be ruined by the lack of a playoff system. The only sport in the world where the champion is determined off the field. I realize other sports have judges, but at least the competitors are being judged by competing against each other, not some random system that is largely influenced before the first game is played.

rrbauer
11-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Just another case of a great season that is going to be ruined by the lack of a playoff system. The only sport in the world where the champion is determined off the field. I realize other sports have judges, but at least the competitors are being judged by competing against each other, not some random system that is largely influenced before the first game is played.

Some people think that horses should run around the track in clockwise fashion, not counter-clockwise. For the most part, they don't. You have to play the hand you're dealt.

Too much emphasis in college football is placed on being "number one". How many teams are there? If they had a playoff system then the rub would be teams that got left out of that; or, the way the games were scheduled; or, where the games were played; or, team A would've beat team B if their QB hadn't been injured; or, they got in based on conference repuration and not team strength. I think your assessment of the season being "ruined" is way off base. How can the system be "random" if it's biased?

schweitz
11-30-2009, 10:32 AM

Division I football is the only instance where a playoff is not used to define a champion in college sports. Division II and Division III football have playoff systems as does every other college sport in any of the divisions. It's just plain crazy.

cj
11-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Some people think that horses should run around the track in clockwise fashion, not counter-clockwise. For the most part, they don't. You have to play the hand you're dealt.

Too much emphasis in college football is placed on being "number one". How many teams are there? If they had a playoff system then the rub would be teams that got left out of that; or, the way the games were scheduled; or, where the games were played; or, team A would've beat team B if their QB hadn't been injured; or, they got in based on conference repuration and not team strength. I think your assessment of the season being "ruined" is way off base. How can the system be "random" if it's biased?

Random wasn't the best choice of words. It isn't random, because they tweak it every year.

You may not think the season is ruined, but it just doesn't seem right that teams like Utah, Boise St, TCU, and now even Cincinnati get screwed. There is no logic to picking the teams that get to play for the phony title. The coaches that vote don't see 98% of the games that are played.

How exactly do the teams I mention get to "play the hand they are dealt?" They have no chance. TCU could very well be the best team in the country. They destroyed BYU and Utah, and pretty much every other team. What else can they do? Guess what...they traveled to Oklahoma a few years back and beat them. The reward is no big schools will play them now. You think if TCU came calling for a home and home with Texas they would accept? Of course not...the system is rigged for the big schools.

Every year we hear how tough the conferences are, but it doesn't pan out in real life. Alabama was so tough last year Utah had them beat after about a quarter. The Big 12 is worse than the Big East this year, but Texas, a team that has beaten nobody of consequence, gets to go to the "title" game.

A playoff wouldn't be perfect, but one thing for sure is that an undefeated team would have a chance. Is that too much to ask? If a team loses, they pretty much lose the right to argue much. If you are undefeated, you should have the chance to lose on the field, not by some fat guys voting you out, the very same fat guys that won't play you.

highnote
11-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I posted this in an earlier thread:

Maybe what is needed is a hybrid BCS/Playoff solution.

All teams would figure out an 8 game schedule at the start of the season plus they would schedule an alternative 2 or 3 extra games.

The 16 top teams that are vying for the national championship would start a playoff series in their 9th game (and would drop out of their 2 or 3 alternative games). The two finalists would end up playing a championship game in their 12th game.

The teams that got knocked out in the earlier rounds could still play important and traditional bowl games.

The teams whose games were canceled because their opponent was a top 16 team could then play the opponents of the other teams who were canceled.

There are some logistical problems, but perhaps something along these lines would help solve the problem.

We put a man on the moon -- we ought to be able to figure out a better system than the BCS.

ElKabong
11-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Every time TCU plays OU or TEXAS it is at their field. I don't think you have been paying attention to THIS years TCU. They can play with anybody.
I know it's hard for a UT alum to accept that. ;)

TCU certainly has earned the right to a playoff spot, no question.

Actually I have seen TCU quite a bit the past 4 yrs. They're on the MTN a lot, as well as CBSC. They're good and can beat almost anyone on any given day. My opinion (been wrong many times) is that if they played a BCS conf schedule they'd have 2 losses + in any BCS conf.

Pressure Dalton and he'd fold quick....the o-line would be hard pressed to hold their blocks in that scheme they run week after week vs top notch athletes. A consistent, short passing game with athletes at every skill position (TEXAS, FLA, OU circa 2008) and TCU would be totally lost, just as they were vs 0u last year. 0u blew out TCU last season by the end of the 1rst quarter b/c the TCU LB's simply can't contain their assignments all day long.

It's been proven over and over. TCU folk told me how bad they'd beat us in 2006/7, didn't work out for them. We wore them down in the 2nd half just as one would expect....then there was the 0u beatdown last season for TCU.

Have always liked the Froggies since the Steve Judy and Norm Buliach days, Boo was a speaker at my jr high team's banquet. I'd rather have them in the b12 instead of Baylor, just didn' work out. If Annie Richards hadn't screwed you guys over you'd have had the chance to play for the MNC this season maybe.

That would have been a sight to see after growing up in the area. :)

rastajenk
12-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Any chance that Touchdown Jesus recruits the TCU coach to the Catholic side? I haven't heard his name in any of the conversations about Weis' replacement, but it seems like he might be a good fit.

schweitz
12-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Any chance that Touchdown Jesus recruits the TCU coach to the Catholic side? I haven't heard his name in any of the conversations about Weis' replacement, but it seems like he might be a good fit.

Not happening---Patterson just signed a long term contract extension today. :)

CBedo
12-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Not happening---Patterson just signed a long term contract extension today. :)A bunch of winning coaches should think Notre Dame for getting bigger contracts. Every coach will find a way to get his name mentioned so that he can leverage a raise and long term extension. :rolleyes:

DanG
12-02-2009, 08:35 AM
BTW; anyone thinking of betting Florida vs. Bama…Suspending Dunlap is HUGE for Florida. He is clearly their best D linemen and there isn’t even a close second. Top ten pick in the draft assuming he comes out as a junior.

Quagmire
12-02-2009, 09:02 AM
BTW; anyone thinking of betting Florida vs. Bama…Suspending Dunlap is HUGE for Florida. He is clearly their best D linemen and there isn’t even a close second. Top ten pick in the draft assuming he comes out as a junior.

I agree with you Dan. I liked Alabama alot in this game before Dunlap fell asleep at the wheel. If the line of FL -6 holds up it is a gift.

CBedo
12-02-2009, 04:42 PM
BTW; anyone thinking of betting Florida vs. Bama…Suspending Dunlap is HUGE for Florida. He is clearly their best D linemen and there isn’t even a close second. Top ten pick in the draft assuming he comes out as a junior.I agree that his suspension definitely matters, but no way he's a top ten pick. I think ESPN has him ranked as the fourth best defensive lineman at his position.

rrbauer
12-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Picking up the slack for one lineman in one game is a piece of cake for a team like Florida. What games have you been watching this year? Florida beats Bama with or without Dunlap.

DanG
12-02-2009, 06:57 PM
I agree that his suspension definitely matters, but no way he's a top ten pick. I think ESPN has him ranked as the fourth best defensive lineman at his position.
We will see; I’ve seen him ranked as high as the top 5 and when the measurable stats are taken he will test off the charts.

DanG
12-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Picking up the slack for one lineman in one game is a piece of cake for a team like Florida. What games have you been watching this year? Florida beats Bama with or without Dunlap.
I guess the same ones you watch except I probably attend more live. I hope your right and I never said they won’t compete with Bama, but even Strong was quoted when Spikes was hurt that Dunlap was the bell cow on the defense. It can't help; lets put it that way.

sandpit
12-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I guess the same ones you watch except I probably attend more live. I hope your right and I never said they won’t compete with Bama, but even Strong was quoted when Spikes was hurt that Dunlap was the bell cow on the defense. It can't help; lets put it that way.

Speaking of Strong, word is that he is leaving Florida to coach the University of Louisville, which took a serious tumble after Bobby Petrino dumped them for the Falcons, and ultimately Arkansas. More: Strong may be top choice (http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20091202/SPORTS02/912020424/Strong+may+be+top+choice)

ezrabrooks
12-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Let's say the Tide beats Fla.., which would proably set up a Gator/Frog match up... What's the opening line?

Ez

ElKabong
12-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Let's say the Tide beats Fla.., which would proably set up a Gator/Frog match up... What's the opening line?

Ez

Not to misdirect, I'd be interested in the answer.

but...Another question....TEXAS losing to NU isn't that far fetched. I'm as orangeblooded as they come and I still don't know how good we are. We really haven't beaten anyone & NU is starting to play very well.

So if NU beats TEXAS, what's the line on TCU vs the SEC champ? ....Have to be 14 or more, right? .....another scenario is the Horns lose and the MNC game is the SEC CCG rematch. Would the winner be favored? Brings back memories of NU- 0U 1978.

BirdstoneFTW
12-05-2009, 02:01 AM

Ez

TCU probably won't be going to the Sugar Bowl. More likely the Fiesta or Orange Bowl, but I've been known to be wrong before. A lot. :lol: :lol:

rrbauer
12-05-2009, 08:08 AM
If Boise St wins against NM State and Cincy loses to Pitt could Boise get enough additional points to move ahead of TCU (regular season finished) in the rankings?

cj
12-05-2009, 09:40 AM
I don't see any chance of that happening, TCU has two really nice wins, Boise only one.

ezrabrooks
12-05-2009, 10:09 AM
If Boise St wins against NM State and Cincy loses to Pitt could Boise get enough additional points to move ahead of TCU (regular season finished) in the rankings?

I don't know how the BC computers work, but surly a win over a 3 win team this late in the season wouldn't be enough to leap frog TCU. Whatever happens, I just hope TCU doesn't end up playing Boise or Cincy...

cj
12-05-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't know how the BC computers work, but surly a win over a 3 win team this late in the season wouldn't be enough to leap frog TCU. Whatever happens, I just hope TCU doesn't end up playing Boise or Cincy...

The BCS would love the "lower class" teams to play each other. They don't like when a Boise beats OU or a Utah smashes Alabama or beats USC. It makes the BCS look very bad, as it should.

GaryG
12-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I have seen both TCU and Boise several times and TCU looks best. The game I would like to see is TCU and Texas. How great would that be? TCU can beat them too. Shame they won't get a shot at the title.

boomman
12-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Random wasn't the best choice of words. It isn't random, because they tweak it every year.

You may not think the season is ruined, but it just doesn't seem right that teams like Utah, Boise St, TCU, and now even Cincinnati get screwed. There is no logic to picking the teams that get to play for the phony title. The coaches that vote don't see 98% of the games that are played.

How exactly do the teams I mention get to "play the hand they are dealt?" They have no chance. TCU could very well be the best team in the country. They destroyed BYU and Utah, and pretty much every other team. What else can they do? Guess what...they traveled to Oklahoma a few years back and beat them. The reward is no big schools will play them now. You think if TCU came calling for a home and home with Texas they would accept? Of course not...the system is rigged for the big schools.

Every year we hear how tough the conferences are, but it doesn't pan out in real life. Alabama was so tough last year Utah had them beat after about a quarter. The Big 12 is worse than the Big East this year, but Texas, a team that has beaten nobody of consequence, gets to go to the "title" game.

A playoff wouldn't be perfect, but one thing for sure is that an undefeated team would have a chance. Is that too much to ask? If a team loses, they pretty much lose the right to argue much. If you are undefeated, you should have the chance to lose on the field, not by some fat guys voting you out, the very same fat guys that won't play you.

Sharp post CJ! The point is that no one knows if TCU is the best team in the country (which they very well could be) because they don't get an opportunity to play the "top ranked teams" to prove it. BCS STILL STANDS for ELIMINATE THE C!!!:D

Boomer

DanG
12-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Speaking of Strong, word is that he is leaving Florida to coach the University of Louisville, which took a serious tumble after Bobby Petrino dumped them for the Falcons, and ultimately Arkansas. More: Strong may be top choice (http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20091202/SPORTS02/912020424/Strong+may+be+top+choice)
I heard that SP; that’s a challenge in any business when your successful your staff becomes in great demand. If you block their advancement it makes it very tough to recruit good personal in the future.

It sounds nuts when a team has yet to lose, but I feel they missed Dan Mullen this year. Imho is just a better play caller then Addazio. I’ve seen more correct pre-snap reads against the Florida running game this year then the previous 3 combined.

Speaking of line play; fans will be watching the “skill” positions as always, but the Bama nose tackle Terrence Cody vs. the Pouncey twins will be a war. As will Julio Jones vs. Haden and Wright.

BirdstoneFTW
12-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Outside of the National Championship game, no BCS game has ever featured 2 undefeated teams. Just some food for thought.

cj
12-05-2009, 03:52 PM
What heart Cincinnati just showed in coming back to beat Pitt in the snow on their field. Again, only in college football would a team like this not have any chance to be champions.

bisket
12-05-2009, 05:02 PM
its the only league i know of where the handicappers actually pick the champ instead trying to figure who the champ will be on the field. you think horseracing is bass akwards college football is a close second.

rrbauer
12-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Apologies to 'Bama for the disrespect. Had to be their best game of the year. I figured that McElvoy would have problems with the passing game. Not to be. Everything that they did worked. Florida had no answer when it counted. Roll Tide!