PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Amazon.com

MikeH
06-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Has anyone else dealt with Amazon.com?

I placed my first (and last) order with them 45 days ago. They charged my credit card the same day, guaranteed shipment in 2 days, said the item was in stock, and so on...

Well, I don't have the book (that I needed for a project that is now complete), every time I call I'm told that they can't credit my account until they finish their "investigation", and they refuse to put my call through to a supervisor or manager. What's more, it appears that their "customer service" people can't actually process transactions - you have to do it yourself on the internet. So if their computer doesn't want to recognize your request, they keep your money. What a scam!

When I called the "800" operator, she said that they only have one phone number for Amazon, and she said she knew that from memory without even looking because she gets so any calls from people that have had problems with Amazon, and they're looking for a different phone number where they can reach management.

Frankly, I don't know why people would deal with them. Barnesandnoble.com has the same prices, and you can talk to real customer service people who can take care of you. I've purchased many products online from Lands End, PC Connection, Microwarehouse and others and never been treated like this. How do they stay in business?

PaceAdvantage
06-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Ordered many things from Amazon (and their affiliates), and never had a problem....

cj
06-11-2003, 01:59 PM
I've had a few problems with Amazon, but I've always gotten the book eventually...just not as fast as they usually claim.

CJ

JustRalph
06-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by MikeH
Has anyone else dealt with Amazon.com?

I don't have the book (that I needed for a project that is now complete), every time I call I'm told that they can't credit my account until they finish their "investigation", and they refuse to put my call through to a supervisor or manager.

Never had a bit of trouble with them. I have ordered probably 50 books over the years. The line about their "Investigation" usually means they are investigating an internal theft or the use of the credit card or whatever. I have been told that once they go into this mode.........it is a slow process.

Tom
06-11-2003, 07:52 PM
Dealing with anyone over the internet is pot luck.
I never give out my crdit card number unless there is brick and mortor address I can go to.
I had a terrible experience with a CD outfit a year or so ago. Totally incompetent people, and a well known name (CDNow).
Contact your state's attorney general.

MikeH
06-12-2003, 01:14 AM
As a follow-up to my post (which was posted this morning after talking to Amazon again for the FIFTH time), this morning I was promised a return call today (they refuse to put you through to someone who can deal with the problem - they want to call you back.)

It is now 10pm here on the west coast, and Amazon has not given me the courtesy of a return call. It's a fairly disreputable operation that doesn't return phone calls (sounds like horse racing companies.)

I spoke to a fellow CPA today who had the same problem with them last year - he never did get the product or a refund. They make you wait 30 days before you can file a claim, then stall again, and, before you know it, the 60 days that you have to challenge your credit card charge is gone.

And, while they are doing an "investigation" they still have MY money and I don't have the product - -sounds like theft to me. I had this happen ONCE in 15 years in dealing with Lands' End, and they immediately offered to either re-ship the product, or credit my account - my choice - that day.

If Amazon was a reputable company, they would have called back TODAY.

GameTheory
06-14-2003, 09:03 PM
That's very surprising. Amazon has always had an excellent reputation for customer service -- maybe they've gotten too big. I've never had a problem with them. I do know someone who ordered a book that didn't arrive (this will happen from time to time with anything you order in the mail) and they called up Amazon and said, "Hey, I didn't get my book." and Amazon said, "No problem. Another one is on the way." No investigation, no nothing -- just a new book.

Lefty
06-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Were me i'd go ahead and call the credit card co. and get a dispute form. If Amazon comes aeound in the meantime you don't have to file it.

ranchwest
06-20-2003, 02:18 PM
The only time I ever disputed a credit card charge (Blockbuster), the credit card company simply removed the charge from my account. I probably spent less than 5 minutes with them on the phone.