PDA

View Full Version : If you're short the market, it was a very Happy Thanksgiving!

PaceAdvantage
11-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Dubai debt crisis sent markets around the world down 2+ percent...including S&P futures, that traded until 11:30am today...they are down 26 points from Wednesday's close...

Should be an interesting day Friday (albeit abbreviated with the early close).

PaceAdvantage
11-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Those desperate for good market news....

I drove past a mall on my way home tonight and there are ALREADY traffic jams with people waiting to get into these stores that are opening at midnight....it is indeed a wacky world...

Valuist
11-27-2009, 01:53 AM
The volume will be extremely light on Friday so whatever happens to the market will likely be forgotten by Monday, IMO.

PaceAdvantage
11-27-2009, 03:59 AM
The volume will be extremely light on Friday so whatever happens to the market will likely be forgotten by Monday, IMO.Oil is currently $4 lower than where it was end-of-day Wednesday...S&P currently down 32.75 points (after hitting a low of down over 40 points about an hour ago)....they've already traded almost 500,000 contracts and it isn't even 4am yet....for comparison, Wednesday's entire volume (the last full day of trading) was a little over 1,000,000 contracts....

No matter where the market ends up later today, volume won't be anywhere near extremely light....

Valuist
11-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Maybe the volume won't be light. But this is a non-story to the majority of companies in the S & P. As for oil, its been looking for a reason to drop. The $80 level is a tough level for it. It had a peak around 2005 of $80 (left shoulder), then fell, then the meteoric rise from late 2007 to mid 2008 at $147 (head), then the massive decline, then back to the $80 level (right shoulder). I'm sure the banks will get hit hard, and they probably should, considering the the runup was likely overdone.

ElKabong
11-30-2009, 01:04 AM
midnight CST, the Dubai market is down 5.87% already.

Other markets are up.

I'll never be smart enuff to figure this stuff out....