PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to "The Stars of the Game"

levinmpa
11-26-2009, 11:20 AM
On Melbourne Cup day, about 30 minutes prior to post time, the Cup jockeys are introduced to the on track crowd and those viewing on TV as "The Stars of the Day". It's like introducing the lineups before a World Series game. I wish we had the same tradition here on our biggest days. The horses come and go quickly, but the riders and trainers are a constant, so here's a Thanksgiving "thank you" for everything they do for the good of the game. What a year it's been.

Thanks to the Jockeys.
1. Joe Talamo's patient ride on I've Got Revenge in the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct. What a cool customer he was after getting left. A great kid, and should be marketed as a star to come.

2. Calvin Borel's ride on Mine That Bird in the Derby. Who else would have scraped the paint like Calvin did. Calvin has become a living legend after his 2 Derby wins and his partnership with Rachel A.

3. Mike Smith on Zenyatta in the BC Classic. As patient a ride as can be imagined. Not many gave Zenyatta a chance with 5/16 to go. Mike Smith is gracious and accessible. A true star in our game.

4. Richard Migliore for being such a great ambassador for the game. He's loved everywhere he goes, and I appreciate his contributions.

Thanks to the Trainers.
1. John Sherriffs should win an Eclipse. He puts his horses first above and beyond his own fame. He wins a BC Classic and a Distaff (Ladies Classic) in the same year. You gotta love a guy that watches the races at the rail with the rest of the fans.

2. Hal Wiggins and Steve Asmussen on an outstanding job of training and placing Rachel Alexandra in challenging races that made us all cheer.

3. Carla Gaines quietly goes about her business and is as good as anyone in the game.

4. Bobby Frankel, you will be missed. You went from climbing the fence at Belmont to save the $2 admission, to being one of the greatest trainers the game has ever seen. Thank you Bobby.

5. Tim Ice and Chip Wooley. Relative unkowns prior to the Triple Crown that are both the type of characters that are worth rooting for.

There are so many more, but these just came to mind while writing this. Thanks to all the Stars of our game. Someday the suits will realize that the human stars should be marketed too.

johnhannibalsmith
11-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Good thread, I'll add one:

Thank you to Matthew Straight, Rene Douglas, Mark Pace, Kyle Kaenel... ...and the many, many omitted atheletes that have risked and do risk health and life each and every day.