PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood 5th

davefulche
11-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm in the firm belief they did the wrong thing not stopping this race at the top of the stretch....in my mind Talamo did 100% the correct thing completely pulling up his mount. They didn't want that big pick 4 pool to start with a no contest. This could have been absolute disaster multiple injuries and deaths were possible. Whose call is it to stop riding? A head outrider or stewards?

Stillriledup
11-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Fascinating situation.

The only rider to pull up was Talamo. He cost bettors 3rd place. He pulled up really early.

Michael said on TVG that it was tight, but there was a little room to squeeze thru if need be. He said he saw everyone else was 'still riding' so he kept riding too.

No contest wouldn't have been fair to the winning bettors i don't think.

WinterTriangle
11-25-2009, 06:15 PM
The only rider to pull up was Talamo. He cost bettors 3rd place.

The kid has excellent judgement. that's what makes him a great rider.

There could have been severe injury to horses and/or riders here, which nobody could predict. (Like that would have been *fair* to bettors. :rolleyes: )

Sheer luck they got that gate off the track barely in the nick of time. Could have gone either way. Bettors $$$ isn't worth lives, horses or riders.

(What I thoght even odder, that Faschnaught went off so long. His last race, several of us had him to win down in selections real time). He had a big shot here, pull ups not.

andymays
11-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I didn't watch too closely. Did some of the riders have to stop riding?

If some of the riders had to stop riding in the stretch why didn't they have an inquiry. Or did they?

Stillriledup
11-25-2009, 06:24 PM
TVG never said if there was an inquiry or not, but one rider appeared to stop riding early in the stretch.

johnhannibalsmith
11-25-2009, 07:00 PM
I just watched the replay on TwinSpires... peculiar decisions in my opinion... there was no inquiry and the race went official within minutes.

I have to believe that the Stew's decision was that the incident "didn't cost anyone a placing", which is perhaps my least favorite line uttered at a racetrack...

Talamo clearly gave it some thought at about the three-sixteenths - took a new cross as though in preparation and actually timidly flagged the horse it appeared before taking a firm hold at the eighth.

He was third at the time and finished fourth and though I can perhaps see the thought behind the race finishing the same way that it would have without the incident (though that is more than debatable)...

...I still think that it is a horrible precedent to set by essentially encouraging riders to persevere through an extremely dangerous situation. By going official, particularly that quickly, you give the impression of punishing the riders (eg - Talamo) for using the type of judgment that stewards are routinely fighting to instill in those same riders.

Tough call, but it seemed absurd that the judges didn't wish to take ample time to review the situation and discuss with the riders the situation as it unfolded to gain their respective perspectives.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Stillriledup
11-25-2009, 07:07 PM
I just watched the replay on TwinSpires... peculiar decisions in my opinion... there was no inquiry and the race went official within minutes.

I have to believe that the Stew's decision was that the incident "didn't cost anyone a placing", which is perhaps my least favorite line uttered at a racetrack...

Talamo clearly gave it some thought at about the three-sixteenths - took a new cross as though in preparation and actually timidly flagged the horse it appeared before taking a firm hold at the eighth.

He was third at the time and finished fourth and though I can perhaps see the thought behind the race finishing the same way that it would have without the incident (though that is more than debatable)...

...I still think that it is a horrible precedent to set by essentially encouraging riders to persevere through an extremely dangerous situation. By going official, particularly that quickly, you give the impression of punishing the riders (eg - Talamo) for using the type of judgment that stewards are routinely fighting to instill in those same riders.

Tough call, but it seemed absurd that the judges didn't wish to take ample time to review the situation and discuss with the riders the situation as it unfolded to gain their respective perspectives.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Good post.

I'd love to hear from Vic on this one.

Was it fair to the bettors of the Talamo horse (who had him to show and had him in the third spot in tri's and supers) that they didnt' get their money back?

I'd like to hear the reasoning why the Talamo horse wasn't refunded.

v j stauffer
11-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Good post.

I'd love to hear from Vic on this one.

Was it fair to the bettors of the Talamo horse (who had him to show and had him in the third spot in tri's and supers) that they didnt' get their money back?

I'd like to hear the reasoning why the Talamo horse wasn't refunded.

Don't have a take. Very glad that no horses or riders were hurt. I have the utmost confidence in the stewards ability to make the fair and correct decision.

cj
11-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Don't have a take. Very glad that no horses or riders were hurt. I have the utmost confidence in the stewards ability to make the fair and correct decision.

That is a very elite club to which you belong.

BombsAway Bob
11-26-2009, 06:36 PM
That is a very elite club to which you belong.
:lol: :lol:

Stillriledup
11-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Vic doesn't want it to get back to the judges that he questioned their decision on a message board. I understand, you can't say, i'd be the same way probably.

JustRalph
11-26-2009, 11:33 PM

Vic! Ever the Statesman.................. :lol:

Bluesthestandard
11-27-2009, 02:06 AM

vic, i love your announcing, but that political correctness statement is like that burn you get in the back of your throat- trying to swallow after vomiting. Do you think i would get the same response from Nick Hines? Or are we just now living in a country where you can't say anything. Do the stewards hold some special power over you and can threaten your job? Or is it because you have to see their faces everyday? Vic, it's time to man up.

PaceAdvantage
11-27-2009, 04:57 AM
I can't say I really disagree with Vic on stewards. For the most part, I also have the utmost confidence in their ability to make the fair and correct decision.

In my opinion, they do so 95+% of the time...might even be higher. Most of their decisions are no-brainers to begin with when viewed objectively.

In addition, many of their decisions can be viewed as fair and correct EITHER WAY....there is a lot of gray area mixed into a steward's decision, which is part of the reason why there are so many colorful opinions of stewards running around racing message boards across the 'net.

lamboguy
11-27-2009, 08:04 AM
i fully agree about the stewards being impartial, except for the nicole's dream takedown in mountaineer with the huge minus pool. that was a complete phantom takedown. the other one that comes to question is the race in hawthorne where they put up the frank calabresse horse. that one was pretty blatant and the guy that got taken down apealed the takedown and was awarded the purse 5 motnhs later.

illinoisbred
11-27-2009, 09:21 AM
i fully agree about the stewards being impartial, except for the nicole's dream takedown in mountaineer with the huge minus pool. that was a complete phantom takedown. the other one that comes to question is the race in hawthorne where they put up the frank calabresse horse. that one was pretty blatant and the guy that got taken down apealed the takedown and was awarded the purse 5 motnhs later.
I was a "victim" of the Island Miss dq at Hawthorne. I know its been a year and 1/2 since then, but the stewards really should have to answer for that one. The account I've heard involves an unqualified substitute steward that day. If such dqs were more commonplace I would walk away from this game.