PDA

View Full Version : XP

Lefty
06-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Ok, Gurus of the Computer Persuasion: So many illegal operations and "crazy" stuff happening with Win98 i'm thinking going XP Pro. Question: Would I lose files, prgms, that I have installed on this computer including my internet connection and address book.
You guys have helped me immensly already and once again, thanks.

Larry Hamilton
06-10-2003, 03:07 PM
I changed from me to xp when it was available. I have never regretted it. I cant remember the last time my machine locked up with a system error. NOw when the blue screen of death happens, you have a way out. (Still aint as reliable as a mac) Oh, I lost nothing, and wouldnt go back for anything.

One suggestion: dont get the upday, get the whole thing that way you dont take any bugs and stuff with you to the new system.

andicap
06-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Some guy who knew what he was talking about said to get Xp Pro, the one for office use. Less buggy than the rgular XP.

I have XP Pro and its a helluva lot better than Win ME which used to crash all the time. Just make sure you have enough memory. Min is 128K, but 256 RAM is much better.

Lefty
06-10-2003, 07:19 PM
Nuts, you guys didn;t answer my question: Will I lose my files and prgms that I installed, and my internet connection and address book if I get XP Pro? I got an ad where they're sellin it for $50 but if i'm gonna lose my stuff, no thanks.

Lefty
06-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Larry, upon rereading your post I think you might've answered my question. You saying yiou didn't lose any of your prgms and db's and things?
Uh, oh, I only have 128sdram guess that's problematical...

Tom
06-10-2003, 07:37 PM
I would back up everything first. I bought an external HD to put everything onto.
Q for the experts....If I buy the full version and install it, will it overwrite 98SE, or should the whole HD be wiped clean?

And how about DOS....I have heard you will have trouble running DOS program on and XP system. Some of my best programs are DOS.

Dave Schwartz
06-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Lefty,

We are about to migrate 10 systems to XP. I purchased a program at Comp Useless called PC Relocator. Essentially, it lets you migrate from one OS to another and updates MOST software successfully. Some version-specific stuff cannot.

The only catch is it cannot be a downgrade (i.e. XP to Win98 or ME, etc.).

Recommended it to a friend and he said it worked perfectly.

The cheap version is $29. I bought the pro version for $55 (with a $25 rebate).

FWIW.

Dave

Racehorse
06-10-2003, 10:00 PM
I've used XP pro and XP home both ...

I'm NOT a power user.

the only dif I"ve been able to tell is the ability to network more machines with pro ...
but home will handle every thing I need

there are a multiplicity of programs that will let you tranfer data from the old HD to the new OS Hard drive(s)

PC Relocator that Dave mentioned is a good one

Norton System Works 2003 has Ghost built in .. handy program
and currently NSW2003 can be purchased for less than 15bucks .. I just bought and installed five copies on my boxes

and .. I find that 512 mem is more useful on either XP ...

I've not used DOS in a while, BUT, I've "heard" .. don't know myself, that XP won't handle DOS ....but, I'm in the dark on it to answer you ....

JustRalph
06-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Back up first. Before you go out and do this. Backup, Backup,
Backup!!!!

You need more ram....... don't go with Pro unless you need to network more machines. It won't make a difference.

I wouldn't let a copy of 'PC Relocator" within a hundred miles of my machine. I was able to get our stores to pull the product in its first run. That was six months ago. I don't know anything about the most current version. Maybe they have fixed it. I used to deal with it killing peoples machines almost every day in my former job. There was nothing we could do to save them.

Before you start working on buying software and ram. Add it all up and make sure between the time and effort and $ you wouldn't be better off buying a new system with XP already on it. FYI

justralph@justralph.com

Dave Schwartz
06-10-2003, 10:39 PM
XP runs DOS but there are some issues with older programs.

Dave Schwartz

cj
06-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Larry, upon rereading your post I think you might've answered my question. You saying yiou didn't lose any of your prgms and db's and things?
Uh, oh, I only have 128sdram guess that's problematical...

Lefty,

Memory is very cheap, and unless your computer is very old it will be upgradable to 256. It is also very, very easy to do.

CJ

azmike
06-11-2003, 02:17 AM
Ok, Gurus of the Computer Persuasion: So many illegal operations and "crazy" stuff happening with Win98 i'm thinking going XP Pro. Question: Would I lose files, prgms, that I have installed on this computer including my internet connection and address book.
You guys have helped me immensly already and once again, thanks.

1. Definitely upgrade to XP. I don't think you need XP Pro. XP Home is fine.

2. I was able to use all my files from Win98 and you should be able to do the same. Just in case--back-up everything.

3. Make sure you have at least 128 MB of memory. 256MB or even 512 MB would be better yet and faster.

Good luck.

Lefty
06-11-2003, 12:50 PM
Reason I said XP Pro is because I just got an e-mail advert offering it for $50. (I don't mind Spam)
Dos issue: I have a friend who just bght a machine with XP home on it and it runs AllinOne and MPH just fine and both fairly old prgms. AllinOne is V5 been out a few yrs.

azmike
06-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Reason I said XP Pro is because I just got an e-mail advert offering it for $50. (I don't mind Spam)
Dos issue: I have a friend who just bght a machine with XP home on it and it runs AllinOne and MPH just fine and both fairly old prgms. AllinOne is V5 been out a few yrs.

If you can get XP Pro for $50 you are getting a very good deal. Obviously make sure the e-mailer is legit.