PDA

View Full Version : what happens to cancelled races?

masterpeg
11-24-2009, 09:18 PM
I just handicapped an old card and found out the races had been cancelled. Do they ever run them? or do I just throw them away?

andymays
11-24-2009, 09:23 PM
I just handicapped an old card and found out the races had been cancelled. Do they ever run them? or do I just throw them away?

Any time you can break even it's all good! ;) :D

Usually some of the entrants will change by the time they run so the PP's will be different.

the little guy
11-24-2009, 09:26 PM

I can only speak for NYRA, but when we cancel the races usually come back in the day or two we draw after the cancellation. You have to redraw them, and open them up again, but most of the participants are usually the same.

masterpeg
11-24-2009, 09:40 PM
it was for the 20th at evangeline downs and I checked the two days after to find different races (scheduled races), I was wondering if they would run the next off day. Their website was no help, or at least I couldn't find any info.

johnhannibalsmith
11-25-2009, 12:12 AM
(Using a generic calendar here, I have no idea what EVD's entry days are)

Keep in mind that the races are drawn days in advance, so if for example, they draw Monday's races on Friday and they cancel Friday's card - the soonest that those races could be re-carded would be Saturday for Tuesday.

At a track like EVD that generally runs conditioned claimers with full fields, they probably don't really need to write those races back. If they cancelled a handful of cheap claimers for non-winners of the year and maidens and non-three lifers, chances are, they appear in the condition book within a day or two.

But, it is reasonably common for cancelled races to return as 'Extra' races for the following entry day. In other words, using the Friday cancellation day example, and assuming Saturday was the next entry day (also assuming that the extra races can be written in a timely enough fashion as to appear on the 'overnight' for Monday's races which is printed on Friday) - these races would be offered as the first alternate races to those which appear in the condition book, should the races in the condition book fail to fill.

Horses that fail to run due to a cancellation, provided that they do not scratch prior to the cancellation, are given top preference (also known as a star date or super date), which is why those races tend to return with almost an identical field. Generally the same horses that were in a cancelled race re-enter in the next available race with the same or similar condition and since they have preference, they all get in the race.

It is rare that a cancelled race returns exactly as carded originally, the exception usually being a stakes race for which there were nominations - those races will often not be re-drawn, but rather carded as drawn at a later date.

Generally speaking, tracks do not make up missed days on what would ordinarily be a dark day, at least not in the immediate future. Scheduling on short notice is almost impossible, particularly as it applies to contemporary simulcating, but occassionally those days will be made up in subsequent weeks if it is plausible, and of course, beneficial to the racing program.

Hopefully that was a clarification and not a confusion... and hopefully I'm not so tired that I completely mistyped what I meant to... :cool:

masterpeg
11-25-2009, 01:40 AM
very helpful...thank you