PDA

View Full Version : Why don't tracks do small tournaments for their fans?

tzipi
11-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Like poker and other venues do? Just small buy in tournaments maybe during weekends to get more fans out to the track and to add more excitement to going out there and also more excitement to our handicapping.
I know they have the once a year big buy in tournaments but I just mean smaller ones that they could do every weekend for the fans.

BillW
11-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Like poker and other venues do? Just small buy in tournaments maybe during weekends to get more fans out to the track and to add more excitement to going out there and also more excitement to our handicapping.
I know they have the once a year big buy in tournaments but I just mean smaller ones that they could do every weekend for the fans.

Have you talked to your local track about this? They may go for the idea.

tzipi
11-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah I've sent e-mails but never a response. Just wish they did it for every track like other venues do. It's part of the game. It would be great for the fans every weekend to come out and compete for a small fee. That's all :) .

eqitec
11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Probably because it's expensive if it has to be supported by the tote companies, or, it's labor intensive if the track tries to do it without them.

FantasticDan
11-24-2009, 09:36 PM
I've never participated, but I know Finger Lakes often does a $1000 handicapping contest on Saturdays. Entries are free, and they usually get a couple hundred players at least. :)

boomman
11-24-2009, 09:37 PM

We have actually discussed some different versions of this idea at Yavapai-give me some specifics as to your idea (entry fee's, format, prizes, etc)......;)

Boomer

BillW
11-24-2009, 10:02 PM
We have actually discussed some different versions of this idea at Yavapai-give me some specifics as to your idea (entry fee's, format, prizes, etc)......;)

Boomer

Keeneland has a pretty nice format. $10 entry fee, max 3 entries per person. You make a $2 W/P bet on one horse in races 3 thru 9. Cap is set at 20-1 win and 10-1 place. Top 10 places pay off with 50% of the entry fees going to 1st place down to 3% for 10th. In addition, the top 10 earn a seat in the year end "tourney of champions" where two HPWS entries are on the line. 3rd thru 5th pay $$$ and 6 thru ten pay off in trinkets (Keeneland jackets this year).

They have the software on their tote system to keep score. Each entry gets a magnetic card and must place wagers at marked "contest" windows.

OTM Al
11-25-2009, 09:43 AM
State laws play a big role here. In some states, the track has to jump through so many hoops to do the simplest of contests, that very often time and effort is far better spent on other things.

Jay Trotter
11-25-2009, 10:00 AM

tzipi,

It just so happens that PaceAdvantage is hosting and sponsoring a series of seven contests beginning today - The Ultimate Parlay Challenge. My home track, Assiniboia Downs (ASD) has been sponsoring this contest with cash and merchandise the last two years.

Check it out in the Contests Forum here at PA:

THE ULTIMATE PARLAY CHALLENGE
PACE ADVANTAGE INAUGURAL

$200.00 CASH CONTEST

NO ENTRY FEE

Wednesday, November 25th to Sunday, January 10th

levinmpa
11-25-2009, 02:23 PM
I think the simple fact is that many of the tracks just don't give a damn about the players, and do nothing to compete with other forms of gaming.

Tom
11-25-2009, 05:33 PM
I've never participated, but I know Finger Lakes often does a $1000 handicapping contest on Saturdays. Entries are free, and they usually get a couple hundred players at least. :)

They do a good job on that front.
Plus, free parking and admission. We are pretty much "cutting edge" compared to some big name tracks.

And the hot roast beef sammy is to die for.....:kiss:

ManeMediaMogul
11-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Keeneland has a pretty nice format. $10 entry fee, max 3 entries per person. You make a $2 W/P bet on one horse in races 3 thru 9. Cap is set at 20-1 win and 10-1 place. Top 10 places pay off with 50% of the entry fees going to 1st place down to 3% for 10th. In addition, the top 10 earn a seat in the year end "tourney of champions" where two HPWS entries are on the line. 3rd thru 5th pay $$$ and 6 thru ten pay off in trinkets (Keeneland jackets this year).

They have the software on their tote system to keep score. Each entry gets a magnetic card and must place wagers at marked "contest" windows.

Keeneland also hosts smaller contests on Turfway Park every other Friday night during the winter. We started out with 25 competitors six years ago and now get 200 to 280 entrants in these contests.

The $25 entry fee includes a nice snack buffet with complimentary soft drinks and a program. They have become a "date night" for the younger fans who couldn't go to Applebee's and a movie for $50 and have a shot at a $3,500 pot. Lots of gals have come out with their guys and turned into Keeneland regulars. It is a great program.

DeanT
11-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Funny, I just came across this while reading this thread. Full props to my harness posse :)

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/notices/11-25-09/romp-offers-handicapping-league.html

"
Racetracks of Ontario Marketing & Promotions (ROMP) will host a major handicapping league at seven Ontario tracks this winter.

The group is currently finalizing details of the inaugural ROMP Handicapping League, which will offer a minimum of $10,000 in prize money on Thursday nights for eight weeks beginning January 7, 2010."

Kudos on the KEE program MMM. I had a fun time playing in that while there.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-25-2009, 06:41 PM
AP and their IL OTBs, and Hawthorne both sponsor frequent free entry contests. The current contests require the purchase of a pre-paid betting card and a minimum Live-Money amount wagered to qualify in the final standings, and you keep what you win on your bets regardless of standings, and can forfeit early and cash out if you want.

maxwell
11-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Woodbine has a harness tourny so I guess that makes 8 in Ontario. I'm not sure if Mohawk is in the loop.