PDA

View Full Version : Hi......and, didn't anybody else notice ?

$$$$$
06-10-2003, 02:27 AM
Ok, 1st I would like to say hi to everybody here. I have read this board for quite a while, but have not posted for a few years..... I don't even remember what my old nick was, it wasn't a horses name, so how am I supposed to remember it ?

Anyway, I was ready to play a big exacta box using Empire Maker and Funny Cide....hell, it looked like easy money.....then the horses came on the track..... I know a lot of you guys watch the horses in the post parade and the warm-up, but not 1 person has mentioned why Funny Cide was an immediate throw......hmmmm. Ok, I will give everybody a chance to go back and look at the tape ....... I have confidence somebody here will find it.......

Show Me the Wire
06-10-2003, 08:39 AM
$$$$$:

Interesting:

I was racing on Belmont day (not personally), so I was running between the barn and the track, also I was not wagering on the Belmont, so I only saw the race itself. I did not have an opportunity to see the paddock feed or the post parade. I would be interested in reading about what you saw.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

azibuck
06-10-2003, 10:02 AM
I didn't go look at the tape, but I remember him doing this really short choppy thing with his hind legs at some point. And he was kind of sideways at the same time. Was that it?

andicap
06-10-2003, 10:52 AM
well, he looked kind of wet.

:D :D

Pace Cap'n
06-10-2003, 11:27 AM
My wife noticed how he was laying his head across the neck of the pony horse, and asked what that might be a sign of.

Told her I didn't know, and still don't. ????????

Dave Schwartz
06-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Pace,

>>My wife noticed how he was laying his head across the neck of the pony horse, and asked what that might be a sign of.

Told her I didn't know, and still don't. ????????<<

It is an action of one horse putting another "in its place." In herd mentality, a dominant horse lays its head across the neck of the submissive horse.

I learned this from the trainer that trained my first two pleasure horses. (They weren't much pleasure; just adopted mustangs.)

I even had a hand later on at training a couple myself (with guidance). That, btw, was an interesting experience.

Watching a master with wild horses at work is a thing of beauty. Occasionally, at fairs, there will be an exhibition of a wild horse being gently broken. Don't miss it if you get the chance. But be ready to spend a LONG time, as they may take hours reaching the point where they can touch the horse.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Pace Cap'n
06-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Some folks over at DRF said he was dragging his left rear foot slightly, and whenever he saw EM he got the jitters. I didn't notice either of those.

Lefty
06-10-2003, 01:11 PM
I posted on an earlier thread that he had "foam" around his mouth. PA, said that was a good sign, but the horse looked "antsy" to me. Anyway, odds were against him and i'd say hard to draw any valid conclusions from this one race, that it seems(to me anyway)has a history of the "rested" horse winning.

superfecta
06-10-2003, 02:20 PM
was Santos petting the horse as they walked to the gate,looked like he was trying to calm him down.But I also saw that EM was reluctant to load the first time.Didn't look good to me for either horse,but I guess maybe EM was keyed up,and funny didn't feel like himself,but thats hind sight.Glad I didn't have money on either horse cause I didn't like what I saw,and it was too late to change tickets.

Skanoochies
06-10-2003, 02:47 PM
C`mon $$$$$, don`t keep us in suspense. I can`t stand it any longer.:D :D :D

Trijack
06-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Dave

I just read a book "The Man Who Listens to Horses" by Monty Roberts. He claims he can break & train most wild horses to take a rider in less than 30 minutes by just listening to them. He is going to be in Chino, Ca on July 16, 2003. I have purchased tickets to go, will let you know how it works out. His web site is http://www.montyroberts.com.

andicap
06-10-2003, 04:17 PM
The Robert Redford move "The Horse Whisperer" is based on Monty Roberts. (there might have been a book too before the movie)

Diamond K
06-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Are you referring to using the rundown bandages in the mud?

Diamond K

Diamond K
06-10-2003, 05:24 PM
I didn't mention that he was also 'on his toes' when starting to warm up.

Diamond K

Trijack
06-10-2003, 06:19 PM
andicap

I have both books "The Horse Whisperer" was written first. "The man Who Listens to Horses" was written by Monty Roberts. The book is a true story about his life. I highly recommend this book.

Tom
06-10-2003, 08:17 PM
I thought he was walking short, but it was so muddy, it was hard to tell. TV shots too quick to see really close. Plus, I was looking for reasons why he would not win after making a large wager on EM <G>.
I though laying on thelead pony was a negative sign, that the horse wanted the comfort of the heard and not ready to race.
Judging by his performance, I don't this was the case. He sure a heck wanted to run for a while.
I give up! What???

$$$$$
06-10-2003, 09:04 PM
I think if I continue to wait, eventually somebody here would have found the "answer", but others here seem very eager to hear about my observation.......so.......here goes.

Funny Cide was doing what is called cross-cantering or cross-firing while warming up. Basically what this is is using 1 lead up front while using the opposite (wrong) lead behind,......in other words the animal is NOT changing to use his other proper lead. An unnatural and uncomfortable gait for a thoroughbred , it makes them look choppy and awkward when they do this, and (in my personal experience) it is usually been a sign of back soreness, although the back soreness can be a secondary condition caused when the horse compensates for another injury..........I hope most of you have a chance to review the video and see for yourself exactly what he was doing so you can look for it in the future, especially in situations that are suspect (or forced, like the Belmont after winning the 1st 2 ). In my own experience, horses are 0 for XX when cross-firing in the warm-up stages, so Funny Cide was an immediate toss for me. It was actually a sad moment because I knew at that EXACT moment, there would not be a triple crown winner this year. I was very upset, and only hoped that what was bothering him was not too severe and that he would be ok after the race....in fact, I didn't even bet the race after that, and there would only have been 1 bet left for me, Empire Maker to win....oh well, not going to worry about a $6 winner, but to make a profit in this game, you need to take advantage when you can. Sentiment won over greed......hmmm, I guess that's not so bad.

Show Me the Wire
06-10-2003, 11:03 PM
$$$$$:

Excellent observation. I usually hear the terminology rounding to refer to the action you described. I wish I had taped the network coverage to check it out.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Lefty
06-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Greek to me. I'll just stick to my nos. Both horses a bet on handicap nos but not odds nos. I'm happy with that.

PaceAdvantage
06-11-2003, 01:11 PM
I taped it, and will review it with a person who knows a lot more than I do about the visual, physical nature of horses.....

==PA