PDA

View Full Version : tom durkin

GARY Z
06-09-2003, 08:02 PM
thanks,valuist,i know i have heard georgeff before,
please advise the track he now,or used to cover.

lefty, the best part of durkin is that you can listen to him on
a call or replay with your eyes closed and just about always
visualize the race.Try this out one day for fun.

more importantly, i really believe he gives the 3 blind mice
(the stewards) a wakeup call when a possible dq is occuring, which was never the case with any of his predecessors.

Lefty
06-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Gary, Phil georgeff was a staple, nay, a legend in Chicago for yrs. I couldn't see him either but the fans loved him.
I'll try the eyes closed thing but i hope nobody steals my laptop.

Dave Schwartz
06-10-2003, 06:21 AM
Lefty,

Was that the guy that would always say, "...Spinning out of the turn..."

Dave

Show Me the Wire
06-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Dave:

Yes, ...and here they come spinning out of the turn.

Everyone is over looking John Dooley from AP, good voice , good call and good observations.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Valuist
06-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Dooley is decent. I don't hear him make mistakes; clear race call. That's about all you can ask for.

Show Me the Wire
06-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Valuist:

Unlike Peter G. ....and Baker Road strikes to the lead. Baker Road leads by ten and the winner is....not Baker Road. When Peter calls TB race, a race most the time you have no idea where any horse is at including the finish.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Valuist
06-10-2003, 09:37 AM
And the monotonous tone. The worst was when he would host the race results show. He could make the BC Classic boring.

Lefty
06-10-2003, 01:25 PM
When Georgeff said, "here the come spinning out of the turn" I always imagined the horses spinning like tops.
He also wrote a couple of self- published books after he retired. Forgot the titles but one was about a horse and the other a mystery novel.

Show Me the Wire
06-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Lefty:

Better yet in his "hay day" I believe he made an album. I think was titiled something like "Spinning Out of the Turn". The album contained his race calls with variable finishes.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality