PDA

View Full Version : McCain Urges Arizona Senior Citizens to Tear Up AARP Cards!

andymays
11-21-2009, 10:40 PM
McCain Urges Arizona Senior Citizens to Tear Up AARP Cards

http://www.breitbart.tv/mccain-urges-arizona-senior-citizens-to-tear-up-aarp-cards/

Excerpt:

"Take your AARP membership card, cut it in half and send it back to AARP because they have betrayed you."

lamboguy
11-21-2009, 11:23 PM
you got to admit, that's one of the smartest things that has ever come out of a polition's lips.

Tom
11-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Been there, done that. AARP does not look out for my interests.

NJ Stinks
11-21-2009, 11:50 PM
9 years ago I would I have taken McCain's word for it. Not today.

I'm going to check out AARP's side of this. Because no matter what McCain said, why would AARP screw around with what they've got for $60M? Their revenue in 2007 was $1.7B. It doesn't make sense to risk losing what they have now for $60M.

boxcar
11-21-2009, 11:55 PM

I'm going to check out AARP's side of this. Because no matter what McCain said, why would AARP screw around with what they've got for $60M? Their revenue in 2007 was $1.7B. It doesn't make sense to risk losing what they have now for $60M.

Yeah, Mr. Cub Reporter, check that out fer us, will ya? And come back with a 3,000-page report on your findings.

Boxcar
P.S. Pssst....I hear tell that AARP is losing members faster than my long hair cats shed hair in the Spring. :D

johnhannibalsmith
11-21-2009, 11:58 PM
RE: NJ Stinks' post (Boxcar got in before I hit submit, laf)

I'm confused as well on the AARP position - If you really are going to do a little research for your own knowledge, I would appreciate you sharing your opinion on your findings. I tend to gravitate towards the cynical when left to my own powers of deduction, so what I assume would be another perspective would be welcome and appreciated.

NJ Stinks
11-22-2009, 03:17 AM
First, it should be noted that AARP is a non-profit that does not endorse candidates for office or make political campaign contributions. The pasted section below state the key reasons why AARP endorsed the House Healthcare bill. You can read the entire press release via the link at the bottom of this post.
__________________________________________________ ____

The Affordable Health Care for America Act and the Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act contain critical components AARP has been fighting for on behalf of its members and all older Americans to improve health care for them and their families. They include:

--Protecting and strengthening Medicare for today’s seniors and future generations of retirees;
--Ensuring seniors can see the doctor of their choice or find a doctor if they need one by improving Medicare’s payments to doctors;
--Lowering drug costs for seniors by closing the Medicare Part D “doughnut hole” and allowing Medicare to negotiate with drug makers for lower drug prices;
--Taking steps to reduce waste, fraud, abuse and inefficiency in the Medicare program;
--Requiring Medicare and insurance companies to provide for important preventive services like screenings for diabetes, cancer and osteoporosis free of charge;
--Stopping insurance companies from denying you affordable coverage because of your age;
-- Preventing insurance companies from denying you coverage if you have a pre-existing condition or dropping your coverage if you get sick;
--Limiting how much your insurance company can make you pay out-of-pocket;
--Providing affordable health insurance options for those who don’t have insurance; and
--Providing benefits to help seniors and people with disabilities live in their own homes and communities by establishing the Community Living Assistance Services and Supports (CLASS) program.

Rand added: “We cannot continue to let insurers price older Americans out of the market, just as we cannot stand idle while millions of seniors are forced to choose between their groceries and their prescriptions. AARP is proud to endorse the Affordable Health Care for America Act and the Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act, and we urge members of the House to pass this critical package in the coming days to help fix our broken health care system.”
__________________________________________________ __

http://www.aarp.org/aarp/presscenter/pressrelease/articles/affordable_health_care_act_endorsement.html

PaceAdvantage
11-22-2009, 04:07 AM
McCain? John McCain? Military hero and former presidential candidate?

Is he still alive?

Because I was paying attention to the posts of 46zilzal and hcap and a few other left-leaners, and they led me to believe that John McCain was on death's doorstep while he was running for president...hmmmm....guess those two posters aren't very credible....:lol:

boxcar
11-22-2009, 10:10 AM
First, it should be noted that AARP is a non-profit that does not endorse candidates for office or make political campaign contributions. The pasted section below state the key reasons why AARP endorsed the House Healthcare bill. You can read the entire press release via the link at the bottom of this post.
__________________________________________________ ____

The Affordable Health Care for America Act and the Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act contain critical components AARP has been fighting for on behalf of its members and all older Americans to improve health care for them and their families. They include:

--Protecting and strengthening Medicare for today’s seniors and future generations of retirees;
--Ensuring seniors can see the doctor of their choice or find a doctor if they need one by improving Medicare’s payments to doctors;
--Lowering drug costs for seniors by closing the Medicare Part D “doughnut hole” and allowing Medicare to negotiate with drug makers for lower drug prices;
--Taking steps to reduce waste, fraud, abuse and inefficiency in the Medicare program;
--Requiring Medicare and insurance companies to provide for important preventive services like screenings for diabetes, cancer and osteoporosis free of charge;
--Stopping insurance companies from denying you affordable coverage because of your age;
-- Preventing insurance companies from denying you coverage if you have a pre-existing condition or dropping your coverage if you get sick;
--Limiting how much your insurance company can make you pay out-of-pocket;
--Providing affordable health insurance options for those who don’t have insurance; and
--Providing benefits to help seniors and people with disabilities live in their own homes and communities by establishing the Community Living Assistance Services and Supports (CLASS) program.

Rand added: “We cannot continue to let insurers price older Americans out of the market, just as we cannot stand idle while millions of seniors are forced to choose between their groceries and their prescriptions. AARP is proud to endorse the Affordable Health Care for America Act and the Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act, and we urge members of the House to pass this critical package in the coming days to help fix our broken health care system.”
__________________________________________________ __

http://www.aarp.org/aarp/presscenter/pressrelease/articles/affordable_health_care_act_endorsement.html

Yup. All the above talking points are why seniors are leaving AARP in droves.

Boxcar
P.S. Great investigation job. Just go to the organization's site that you're investigating and lift their talking points and declare it as the gospel truth. Geesh, NJ, what do you do for an encore? :rolleyes:

prospector
11-22-2009, 10:54 AM

their leadership is full of people like you...i got tired of them supporting every liberal idea that came along...i tore up my card 10 years ago...

johnhannibalsmith
11-22-2009, 11:56 AM
I wanted your opinion on AARP's position, NJ Stinks... not the AARP position!

Pell Mell
11-22-2009, 04:05 PM
I read somewhere that the reason AARP supports the HC bill is that it would basically do away with Medicare Advantage policies. AARP would like this because they get huge kickbacks from the gap insurance companies they endorse. The article said there were 10 million seniors in Medicare Advantage programs.

maybe someone knows more about this.

boxcar
11-22-2009, 04:34 PM
I read somewhere that the reason AARP supports the HC bill is that it would basically do away with Medicare Advantage policies. AARP would like this because they get huge kickbacks from the gap insurance companies they endorse. The article said there were 10 million seniors in Medicare Advantage programs.

maybe someone knows more about this.

That's what Hannity and Rush have been saying. (Haven't had the opportunity to verify for myself, though.) But it makes very good sense. This would explain nicely why AARP is willing to sacrifice a certain percentage of its members -- willing to toss them under the bus. It probably would take a huge number of defections before the loss of membership dues would equal the kickbacks.

Anyhoo...AARP is just another sleazy, slimy, unethical lib organization, regardless. They have always supported liberal ideology. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
11-22-2009, 05:11 PM
I wanted your opinion on AARP's position, NJ Stinks... not the AARP position!

I'm a card-carrying member.

I find it nonsensical that AARP would be endorsing something that would hurt their membership - especially something that would hurt those seniors buying health insurance from them. That's like saying Ameriprise thinks it's in their best interests to see their investors hurt (lose money) because somehow Ameriprise will be better off in long run.

Tom
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
AARP is a business. I though businesses were evil?
Or just some?

Of COURSE they will do whatever benefits THEM.
Do you think AARP is run by Santa clause?
Do you think AARP started up to help seniors? Or to make money. :lol:

bigmack
11-22-2009, 05:48 PM
I find it nonsensical that AARP would be endorsing something that would hurt their membership -
“PelosiCare will slash $170 billion from Medicare Advantage. But seniors love Medicare Advantage because it enables them to buy private insurance and gives them more choices. If Medicare Advantage is gutted, that will force seniors out of Medicare Advantage and into inferior Medigap policies.

“And that’s the problem: AARP makes a killing off Medigap policies. In fact, more than half of its $1 billion budget comes from royalty fees on Medigap-type policies.

“This is a blatant conflict of interest, and means AARP is selling out America’s seniors for big bucks. Seniors ought to be outraged and drop their AARP memberships immediately.”

Even the Washington Post has exposed this element of AARP’s support for PelosiCare, saying on October 27, “Democratic proposals to slash reimbursements for…Medicare Advantage are widely expected to drive up demand for private Medigap policies like the ones offered by AARP.”

“AARP is out there pretending to care about seniors, but they’re using the coercive power of the federal government to pick the pockets of vulnerable seniors and stick the money in their own wallets. It’s immoral and inexcusable.”

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/16682

Pell Mell
11-22-2009, 06:05 PM
What say you Stinky, Mosty, etc.?

boxcar
11-22-2009, 06:24 PM
What say you Stinky, Mosty, etc.?

Be patient. They're crankin' up their biggest spin machine for this one -- probably lurking on DU, DK, etc. to get their talking points in order.

And thanks BM for posting this info. It appears that Rush, Hannity and others were dead on the mark with this sellout and the motive behind it.

And, NJ, the only thing "nonsensical" about AARP and your beloved government, is your unjustified, irrational and blind belief in their altruistic motives. Can you spell M-O-N-E-Y? These two slime ball entities are not above their love/lust for it.

Boxcar

cj's dad
11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Interesting topic- I got my AARP renewal letter in the mail Friday and it was marked urgent:lol:

I sent it back with a nasty note explaining why i would not renew; like they will care. It did at least save my membership fees, but it did cost me a stamp.

To all- tell hotels motels etc... that you are a member - they never ask for your card.:D:D

andymays
11-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Interesting topic- I got my AARP renewal letter in the mail Friday and it was marked urgent:lol:

I sent it back with a nasty note explaining why i would not renew; like they will care. It did at least save my membership fees, but it did cost me a stamp.

To all- tell hotels motels etc... that you are a member - they never ask for your card.:D:D

Isn't there another organization similar to AARP but smaller that leans a little more to the conservative side?

found something..

NASCON: The AARP Alternative for Conservatives?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1550315/posts

Tom
11-22-2009, 07:14 PM
How about one that leans towards......SENIORS?:bang:

Track Collector
11-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Isn't there another organization similar to AARP but smaller that leans a little more to the conservative side?

found something..

NASCON: The AARP Alternative for Conservatives?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1550315/posts

They are now the American Senior Association. Their website is:
http://www.americanseniors.org/

Hey andymays, I have TWICE as much v-Cash as you do. ;) :lol:

NJ Stinks
11-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Responding to Pell Mell:

1. Mack's bold headlines above quote an organization (American Families Association) that is a religiously-conservative bastion for people like many of you here. It's like me quoting from the Daily Kos. :rolleyes:

2. The link for the article Mack gave us is, in fact, the Canadian Free Press. The CFP is just telling us what the American Families Association said. So we're still stuck with a slanted source.

3. Here's the link to the entire Washington Post article cited by AFA:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/26/AR2009102603392.html

4. Here's something else from the Washington Post. It's in article called:

Health scare tactics

A GOP blizzard of untrue statements

The falsehood-peddling began at the top, with Minority Leader John Boehner:

"If you're a Medicare Advantage enrollee . . . the Congressional Budget Office says that 80 percent of them are going to lose their Medicare Advantage."

Not true. The CBO hasn't said anything of the sort. Boehner's office acknowledges that he misspoke: He meant to cite a study from the Medicare actuary estimating that projected enrollment would be down by 64 percent -- if the cuts took effect. Choosing not to enroll in Medicare Advantage is different from "losing" it.

Here's the link to the "Health scare tactics article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/10/AR2009111013406.html

That's it. I'm finished with this for now. I'd have review the extra benfits Medicare Advantage offers first and I'm not in the mood. (I need the Bears tonight!)

boxcar
11-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Apparently the liberal rag the Washington Post got it wrong, too, NJ?

From that CFP Piece -- the part you left out:

Even the Washington Post has exposed this element of AARP’s support for PelosiCare, saying on October 27, “Democratic proposals to slash reimbursements for…Medicare Advantage are widely expected to drive up demand for private Medigap policies like the ones offered by AARP.”

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
11-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Boxcar, I didn't leave anything out. I posted a link to the entire article without citing anything in that article. Mack already cited (in his post above) the same quote you just did.

I did post something from a completely different article in the Washington Post.

Tom
11-22-2009, 11:15 PM
And I pointed East! :cool:

boxcar
11-22-2009, 11:15 PM
AARP's tacit endorsement of Medicare cuts line its pockets, but shortchanges seniors

And that headline, sir, is from one of the premier liberal rags in this nation -- a small paper called the Chicago Tribune!

Now, read and weep. And save for the spin for another day because your spin machine is broken, sir!

"Why else would the nation's largest lobbying organization, sworn to protect the interests of senior citizens, watch silently as Congress plans to cut Medicare spending by $400 billion to pay for its health reform legislation? Could it be that the interests of seniors and AARP are not exactly aligned?

Let's follow the money. AARP takes in more than half of its $1.1 billion budget in royalty fees from health insurers and other vendors that market services with the organization's name. Medicare supplementary policies, called "Medigap" plans, make up the biggest share of this royalty revenue.

AARP has an interest in selling more, not fewer, Medigap plans, of course. But there is a competitor on the block.

A growing number of seniors are enrolling in a new form of Medicare coverage Medicare Advantage where they don't need Medigap.

Medicare Advantage was created in 2003 to give seniors the option of joining private plans that are paid up to 12 percent more to provide better health benefits than traditional Medicare.

These private plans compete with each other by offering seniors such services as lower premiums, better drug coverage, dental care and eyeglasses, and more comprehensive coverage for major medical expenses. Nearly 11 million of Medicare's 45-million beneficiaries are in the program.

Congress' health reform bills would cut spending for Medicare Advantage by at least $150 billion. President Obama has singled out Medicare Advantage, saying it is a give-away to private insurance companies. But virtually all of the extra money goes back to seniors in the form of better benefits, so it's seniors who have the most to lose."

BO and his Dem[on]s from the Dark Side at work. They're so caring. So compassionate. So concerned for everyone in this country. So, very helpful, aren't they, NJ? :rolleyes:

The full article is here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-200911050804mctnewsservbc-aarp-con-mct1084nov0,0,7468640.story

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
11-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Here's your unbiased article in a nutshell. It's from the bottom of the article and shows the Chicago newspaper had zip to do with it's content.

ABOUT THE WRITER

Grace-Marie Turner is president and founder of the Galen Institute, which is funded in part by the pharmaceutical and medical industries. Readers may write to her at Galen Institute, 128 South Royal Street, Alexandria, Va. 22314; Web site: www.galen.org (http://www.galen.org); e-mail: GraceMarie@galen.org (GraceMarie@galen.org). For information about Galen's funding, please go to www.galen.org/content/join.html (http://www.galen.org/content/join.html).

This essay is available to McClatchy-Tribune News Service subscribers. McClatchy-Tribune did not subsidize the writing of this column; the opinions are those of the writer and do not necessarily represent the views of McClatchy-Tribune or its editors.

JustRalph
11-22-2009, 11:36 PM
He said "AARP" ???

Damn it!!! ...........now I can't get any roadside assistance :bang:

bigmack
11-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Yo, NJStinkie,

Dispute any of this:
The bill pulls the plug on $229billion in fee-for-service Medicare.
The bill pulls the plug on $170billion in Medicare Advantage Program.
And:
Over 50% of the budget of AARP is derived from royalties from those policies not covered by MediAdvantage

Good luck & try to limit your search to the facts.

bigmack
11-23-2009, 12:57 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/11_22_09_21_54_33.png

QdHtz9ZSmLk

PaceAdvantage
11-23-2009, 02:35 AM
He said "AARP" ???

Damn it!!! ...........now I can't get any roadside assistance :bang:I laughed...:lol:

andymays
11-23-2009, 07:04 AM
They are now the American Senior Association. Their website is:
http://www.americanseniors.org/

Hey andymays, I have TWICE as much v-Cash as you do. ;) :lol:

I went all in at Calder on week two or three and went tapioca by not hitting one race. Patience and discipline are not my virtues. I'm one streaky son of a gun. I guess I have to have that 4 vcash deal hanging around my neck untill next year. :blush: :mad: :D

Anyway, how about those dirty rotten SOB's at AARP?

Tom
11-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Cheer up Andy, you have more cash than Medicare! :lol:

andymays
11-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Cheer up Andy, you have more cash than Medicare! :lol:

This is true! :D

BlueShoe
11-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Have never ever even remotely considered joining Barf,er,excuse me,I mean AARP,and I have been eligible for a long time.They are far left.They advocate socialized medicine and gun control,and that clinched it for me even before I was eligible to join.Am rather enjoying seeing them getting blasted and losing members by the thousands.

JustRalph
11-23-2009, 04:13 PM
I laughed...:lol:

I'm glad somebody did............. :ThmbUp:

We need sound effects on this board..........