NY BRED
11-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm sure it wasn't EAST NEW YORK BROOKLYN ...my old turf. LOL

My Instinct is Bensonhurst /Sheepdhead Bay,I've searched the
web but no success,

East NY has one good point, about 20 minutes to the Big A :eek:

Ps , I was at Aqueduct today, and stayed in the stands for about
2 hours sharing memories with various fans and rooting in
Making History(missed the win by inches) in Bobby's honor.

Hopefully the Racino starts soon as this facility is in poor condition.

BELMONT 6-6-09
11-21-2009, 09:32 PM
I am inclined to agree with you Gary about the Besonhurst.sheepshead Bay guess. East New York was a great place to grow up...learned to use your fists at a early age (knees, heads and elbows too ) LOL.

Plenty of loyal horseplayers in the day from my neighborhood. Great memories.

joanied
11-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Funny you can't find out what part of Brooklyn Bobby was from...and I sure don't know, although I probably should:blush: ...

just about any burrough in Brooklyn is a good place to learn how to use your fists:D ...if Bobby was from Bensonhurst, I can tell you it was a great place to grow up...that is where I'm from. It was, and maybe still is, a section of Brooklyn that grew many 'wise guys'...many 'connected'.
I ran the streets there, I was a 'tom-boy'...and I would not trade growing up there for growing up anywhere else.

Bensonhurst rules:ThmbUp:

BELMONT 6-6-09
11-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Nice call JOANIED ...yeah some real tough guys from Bensonhurst. I used to box with a number of them. Some real good times and great memories!

Moyers Pond
11-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Frankel is from Far Rockaway, about as close to Long Island as NYC gets.

So is Bernie Madoff. :lol:

joanied
11-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Nice call JOANIED ...yeah some real tough guys from Bensonhurst. I used to box with a number of them. Some real good times and great memories!

If we could use street language, I'd say...f*****eh!!!!
:) :) :)

joanied
11-22-2009, 03:44 PM

That is another tough neighborhood...regardless of how close it is to LI.

Bernie Madoff is from another planet:D

NY BRED
11-22-2009, 04:44 PM

MP

Are you saying Bob moved from Brooklyn to Far Rock during his Childhood?

All the articles I've read state he was born in Brooklyn.

Presuming you are correct, he had a relatively easy trip getting to the Big A
and Belmont from Far Rockaway as against using the Belt Pkwy,,,

neumies boy
11-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Yes, he went to Far Rockaway High School.

OTM Al
11-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Well, he isn't from Brooklyn then. The Rockaways are in Queens. Never has been part of Brooklyn. I would think he probably moved there from Brooklyn if the articles are correct about him being Brooklyn born

foregoforever
11-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Well, he isn't from Brooklyn then. The Rockaways are in Queens. Never has been part of Brooklyn. I would think he probably moved there from Brooklyn if the articles are correct about him being Brooklyn born

Thus quoth the New York Times ...

Robert J. Frankel was born on July 9, 1941, in Brooklyn, where his parents ran a kosher catering business and bet horses on the side. Growing up in Brooklyn and in Far Rockaway, Queens ...

No mention of when the family moved.

Moyers Pond
11-24-2009, 08:35 AM
That is another tough neighborhood...regardless of how close it is to LI.

Bernie Madoff is from another planet:D

It is a tough neighborhood now. It wasn't when Frankel was there. My father grew up there too. It was once an Irish/Jewish family neighborhood. It has gotten much worse over the last 20 years. Not to sound racist, but white people were sort of pushed out years ago and moved to Long Island.

OTM Al
11-24-2009, 08:42 AM
If you are talking about Far Rock, its pretty easy to understand that as that is where the city decided to build large amounts of public housing because no one else wanted it in their back yard. Limited transportation and very little in the way of jobs in the area. Not an excuse because people do commute from there (about 1 1/2 hrs each way to downtown Manhattan btw on the A train and that's only when it is running express) but a major deterrant. And got no better when the former inhabitants went running for the hills. Common story in a big city.

Canarsie
11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Page 58 of the Training Game says Frankel lived in Brooklyn till he was 8 and then moved to Far Rockaway. No mention of a neighborhood.

RIP Bobby

firstoffclaim
11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Funny you can't find out what part of Brooklyn Bobby was from...and I sure don't know, although I probably should:blush: ...

just about any burrough in Brooklyn is a good place to learn how to use your fists:D ...if Bobby was from Bensonhurst, I can tell you it was a great place to grow up...that is where I'm from. It was, and maybe still is, a section of Brooklyn that grew many 'wise guys'...many 'connected'.
I ran the streets there, I was a 'tom-boy'...and I would not trade growing up there for growing up anywhere else.

Bensonhurst rules:ThmbUp:

I grew up in Bensonhurst as well, 1878-84th St was my address.

joanied
11-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I grew up in Bensonhurst as well, 1878-84th St was my address.

Hey...cool.:jump: Mine was 66 Bay 38th Street (between 86th St and Benson Av)...not far from the V-Bridge.
I still miss the old neighborhood!!

Canarsie
11-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey...cool.:jump: Mine was 66 Bay 38th Street (between 86th St and Benson Av)...not far from the V-Bridge.
I still miss the old neighborhood!!

On Facebook I would bet there's a group for where you lived. The "Canarsie" one is huge with well over 2,000 people. My friend even posted on my wall him remembering me reading the DRF in JHS. :lol: