PDA

View Full Version : Third Start Off an Excess Dose

Dan H
11-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Here's an excerpt from a ruling from the Board of Stewards - Hollywood Park Racing Association on 19 November 2009:

Trainer JACK CARAVA, who started the horse “Headache” which finished second in the second race at Santa Anita Park on September 30, 2009, is fined FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS* ($500.00) pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1887 (Trainer to Insure Condition of Horse) for violation of California Horse Racing Board rules #1844 (c) (1) (Authorized Medication –Phenylbutazone -Class IV, in excess of permitted level) and rule 1843 (a) (d) (Medication, Drugs and Other Substances).

"Headache" runs again today (11/21) at Hollywood Race 7 for trainer James Barnes.

Is there a handicapping angle for "third start off an excess dose?" This is one of those things that makes me feel like I'm not getting enough handicapping information.

Here's a link to the full ruling: http://www.chrb.ca.gov/Rulings_Hollywood_Park/Ruling_HP_09_11_03.pdf

Mineshaft
11-21-2009, 01:07 PM
what other handicapping information do you want?

johnhannibalsmith
11-21-2009, 02:02 PM
A good rule of thumb for figuring on whether a ruling for substances should factor into your handicapping - if it doesn't state that the horse was DQ'ed from purse money in the chart - then the levels of that substance almost certainly didn't have a performance enhancing effect beyond that which could be expected from using that substance within the legal thresholds.

It isn't always the case, but especially with something like bute, a non-DQ level that is considered an overage is unlikely to have made a significant difference.

The caveat to this is when someone is appealing a ruling - a DQ that would result in purse redistribution is not officially levied until the trainer charged has exhausted his/her insanely liberal rights to due process at the expense of everyone else's due process.

Mineshaft
11-21-2009, 03:59 PM
A good rule of thumb for figuring on whether a ruling for substances should factor into your handicapping - if it doesn't state that the horse was DQ'ed from purse money in the chart - then the levels of that substance almost certainly didn't have a performance enhancing effect beyond that which could be expected from using that substance within the legal thresholds.

It isn't always the case, but especially with something like bute, a non-DQ level that is considered an overage is unlikely to have made a significant difference.

The caveat to this is when someone is appealing a ruling - a DQ that would result in purse redistribution is not officially levied until the trainer charged has exhausted his/her insanely liberal rights to due process at the expense of everyone else's due process.

Trust me an overage of Bute does make a difference.

johnhannibalsmith
11-21-2009, 04:13 PM
How much - 5.8? 8.3? 11.5?...

What are the thresholds in California for categorizing the tiers of infraction?

Robert Fischer
11-21-2009, 04:43 PM
was he hurt and needed xtra BUTE ??

what did 1st 2nd off an xDose look like

was it just a sloppy mistake(oops gave him bute twice :rolleyes:)

does this guy/gal just have a slow metabolism

lots of BS to look at but probably insignificant

WinterTriangle
11-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Well today, Headache was scratched by the Stewards.

I was playing the race and wondered why he was scratched.

Trust me an overage of Bute does make a difference.

If a horse needs that much to run a race, perhaps they shouldn't be on the track.

I'm one of the people here who has "had it" with the drugging of US racehorses, so I expect I'll be the squeaky wheel. :blush:

WinterTriangle
11-22-2009, 03:20 AM
BTW------- is this the same Headache that ran in the maiden special weight for 2 year olds that Quality Road was in?

Aqueduct, November 29th, 2008:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlusOERP.cfm?TID=AQU~OSA&CY=USA~USA&RN=4~9&DT=11/29/08~11/07/2009&DY=D~D&BorP=P&BUILD_CACHE=N&BT=TB