PDA

View Full Version : The Best Horse Handicapping Site or Software Available?

EndlessSportsPicks
11-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I have a lot of customers I supply sports picks to on a daily basis and do very well, but I personally know nothing when it comes to the horses. During the Breeders Cup a lot of customers were requesting horse picks, so I just told them about PaceAdvantage, but I was wondering if there's a piece of software or a site that supplies horse racing picks you would recommend for people who are looking for quality horses to bet, but don't have a lot of time or horse knowledge to pick horses on their own. Thanks in advance for your replies!

markgoldie
11-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Go to the American Association of Touts website. Obtain your free membership. Click on the "Trade a Sucker" tab. Here you will find names addresses, and phone numbers of people who prefer to pay others to lose for them, rather than lose on their own. Each tout receives a finders' fee for producing a new sucker. For example, your customer list might be used by a stock tout or a horse-racing tout. If a customer you provide to a horse-racing tout results in a good fleecing, you will be entitled to some of the wool.
GL.

EndlessSportsPicks
11-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Go to the American Association of Touts website. Obtain your free membership. Click on the "Trade a Sucker" tab. Here you will find names addresses, and phone numbers of people who prefer to pay others to lose for them, rather than lose on their own. Each tout receives a finders' fee for producing a new sucker. For example, your customer list might be used by a stock tout or a horse-racing tout. If a customer you provide to a horse-racing tout results in a good fleecing, you will be entitled to some of the wool.
GL.

Classy response! I would never sell or give my customer list to anyone. Just wanted to see if there was a piece of software or a good horse handicapping site someone knows about that I could recommend my customers too if asked. I apoogize you have a problem with ALL touts, and I happen to fall into that category. GL to you also!

ranchwest
11-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Classy response! I would never sell or give my customer list to anyone. Just wanted to see if there was a piece of software or a good horse handicapping site someone knows about that I could recommend my customers too if asked. I apoogize you have a problem with ALL touts, and I happen to fall into that category. GL to you also!

The general consensus here seems to be that there are no shortcuts. Yes, there are several software programs that will help, but not for people who don't have time. It's still work to understand the nuances of when and how the software works.

Horse racing has a large takeout and is always changing. If there was software that would win on a "black box" basis, it would have to be modified at least annually to continue to work against the takeout.

markgoldie
11-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Actually, I have no problem at all with touts-- everyone has to make a living. There are several players that frequent this website who are full-time professionals. There are no shortcuts- they all work their rear ends off. They don't sell or give their methods away because in this business, with parimutuel wagering and limited handles, every additional dollar wagered on their selections lowers their return. So my recommendation would be to tell your clients to forget racing and increase their wagering with you. Afterall, they're winning money on your picks. Right?

EndlessSportsPicks
11-21-2009, 12:19 PM
The general consensus here seems to be that there are no shortcuts. Yes, there are several software programs that will help, but not for people who don't have time. It's still work to understand the nuances of when and how the software works.

Horse racing has a large takeout and is always changing. If there was software that would win on a "black box" basis, it would have to be modified at least annually to continue to work against the takeout.

I figured that was the case, but I had to ask just in case there is something out there for them.

EndlessSportsPicks
11-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Actually, I have no problem at all with touts-- everyone has to make a living. There are several players that frequent this website who are full-time professionals. There are no shortcuts- they all work their rear ends off. They don't sell or give their methods away because in this business, with parimutuel wagering and limited handles, every additional dollar wagered on their selections lowers their return. So my recommendation would be to tell your clients to forget racing and increase their wagering with you. Afterall, they're winning money on your picks. Right?

Yeah they want to take the money their winnings and gamble it away of course :) and I wasn't trying to be rude, but I'll tell you what I have customers who are dealing with multiple "touts" at once no matter how good I do for them. For instance a guy emailed me this past Sunday after I go 3-0 saying something to the effect that he was talked off my games by another "tout" and he got killed for the day. So in the end Gamblers keep Gambling, whether their winning with me or not. Not to mention I had just went 2-0 the Saturday before, and NO IM NOT PROMOTING the Saturday week before last I was 0-3 ATS. But my record on my website is 100% accurate and updated daily. This week my TOP PICKS are 3-3-1 ATS with 2 picks pending for today in College Football.

Light
11-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I was wondering if there's a piece of software or a site that supplies horse racing picks you would recommend for people who are looking for quality horses to bet, but don't have a lot of time

I can't recommend any site. If they were any good,they would keep it to themselves. Like Ranch said, even if you had access to top notch software, you cant use it as a black box, you have to learn its idiosynchrocies.

E-ponies does have a computer generated program they have been using for quite a few years now for many tracks. It's output is displayed on their website and its free. Before you recommend it to your customers,I would study it's output vs. actual results and see if there is any niche about it that is profitable. If not, pass. Better to not piss off and possibly lose some of your clients by giving them false hopes.

exiles
11-21-2009, 06:08 PM
An other tout looking for suckers. ( Hello, I'm a sports tout i do very well have manny clients and so on) give me a #@$%^ break.

NoDayJob
11-21-2009, 06:56 PM
The best handicapper/programmer in the whole world runs a site at www.ineedyafreekinmoney.com
The program he uses is the 'SlikrQuikrPonyPikr'. He's you're go to guy. :lol:

EndlessSportsPicks
11-21-2009, 07:13 PM
An other tout looking for suckers. ( Hello, I'm a sports tout i do very well have manny clients and so on) give me a #@$%^ break.

No I'm just a PAID Advertiser on Paceadvantage who happened to ask a simple question. No need to be so angry and make false accusations. Listen not every Tout is a bad one, and just because you find it hard to believe, there are people out there who can actually win and are legitimately trying to help others, and I just believe my knowledge is worth something. I'm not a tout who charges per game or commission forcing people to bet what they can’t afford, I simply charge a one-time fee for LIFETIME Access to my sports picks and you will never be asked again to pay for picks. I even show my customers how to achieve a huge advantage over the house and basically eliminating the Vig, with no tricks or gimmicks, this is what every "sharp" already knows and takes advantage of, I'm just passing it on to my customers. But evidently a Paid Advertiser here is automatically judged as having an ulterior motive. I would like to thank those who did make some helpful suggestions. I was actually checking out e-ponies earlier today and might see how that does over the next few weeks.

andymays
11-21-2009, 07:29 PM
It's a tough crowd but they grow on you! ;)

njcurveball
11-21-2009, 07:31 PM
The absolute GREAT thing about Sports "picks" is that even the worst can be right over 40% of the time. That builds confidence even in a negative return game.

Imagine standing by the roulette table and giving out "red" or "black" as a tip. If it weren't so obivous, people there would actually pay for the picks.

Horse racing has a much higher upside and a much lower downside. Anyone who is going to be profitable will not come close to a 40% win rate. In fact, most profitable win plays are in the 12 to 18% range. I recently had a 25 race losing streak with a play that was winning close to 20% in the $8 to $16 price range. $hit happens. Many of those horses ran 2nd, but the play shows a profit betting win, not betting place.

I applaud your bravado, but stick to sports. Horse selection services either lose money and have a high win percentage or make money in the long run, usually after most of the customers give up.

I had a Newsletter a long time ago and gave out horses to watch at certain tracks. Some people wrote they caught the $8, $10, even $12 horses. One horse paid $96. No one wrote that they bet on that one. Yet the total sample was very profitable including that one and just about break even without it.

Most of the TV handicappers are so scared to pick a longshot these days, they might as well just paste the program picks under their faces. Yet, Mike Ditka can flip a coin on TV and still look smart.

Good luck with your sports!

EndlessSportsPicks
11-21-2009, 07:50 PM
The absolute GREAT thing about Sports "picks" is that even the worst can be right over 40% of the time. That builds confidence even in a negative return game.

Imagine standing by the roulette table and giving out "red" or "black" as a tip. If it weren't so obivous, people there would actually pay for the picks.

Horse racing has a much higher upside and a much lower downside. Anyone who is going to be profitable will not come close to a 40% win rate. In fact, most profitable win plays are in the 12 to 18% range. I recently had a 25 race losing streak with a play that was winning close to 20% in the $8 to $16 price range. $hit happens. Many of those horses ran 2nd, but the play shows a profit betting win, not betting place.

I applaud your bravado, but stick to sports. Horse selection services either lose money and have a high win percentage or make money in the long run, usually after most of the customers give up.

I had a Newsletter a long time ago and gave out horses to watch at certain tracks. Some people wrote they caught the $8, $10, even $12 horses. One horse paid $96. No one wrote that they bet on that one. Yet the total sample was very profitable including that one and just about break even without it.

Most of the TV handicappers are so scared to pick a longshot these days, they might as well just paste the program picks under their faces. Yet, Mike Ditka can flip a coin on TV and still look smart.

Good luck with your sports!

I agree with you. I know horse racing is a much harder nut to crack, especially with the house cut being so large. I don't know how you guys do it..lol I was just curious to see if there was something out there that would at least give the newbie a better edge. I mean I have already shown my customers how to get up to 35% of their net losses back from betting horses every month to at least help their ROI and to remain out of the comingled pool, but how to actually pick the horses and to have successful months at betting the horses is another story which is why I was asking this questions.

garyoz
11-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Not endorsing them, but some professional quality figure makers offer picks--especially for big days, like the Triple Crown, Breeders Cup. Thorograph and Equiform come to mind. Picks are more along the line of fair value odds line or identifying overlays. As you know the key to this game is not picking the most winners, but finding inefficiencies in the betting lines. Their evaluations are more in a webinar/seminar format.

WinterTriangle
11-22-2009, 02:06 AM
for people who are looking for quality horses to bet, but don't have a lot of time or horse knowledge to pick horses on their own.

Hi ESP,

I guess I don't understand the problem some here are having with this.......I was under the impression that we WANT TO GROW the sport......at least, I do. :) Getting new people into horseracing should be something we all strive to do, and I personally think you would be doing this by offering your customers some info on horse racing.:ThmbUp: You're also growing "this" forum by letting your customers know about PaceAdvantage.

I see no reason not to ask this question here. I also see no reason not to offer, as a purely complimentary gesture, "pick sites" either paid or otherwise, to your customers. They are all over the internet, and wouldn't be if the creators didn't want people to use 'em. :)

As long as you tell them you can't stand behind them, as your expertise is in other sports.

****** keeps a very nice list on their site. (***** I have to make sure it's okay with Pace to mention another person's site here)

Perhaps you can ask this person if you can link to some of them (please do ask, though!!!!!). Or, go to each one and ask the person who owns the site if you can list them, or link to them, on your site. This is good for business! It's called networking.:) You can highlight them, they can highlight you.

Some are paid, others are free. The site I'm thinking of, and many other horse racing sites (including this one :ThmbUp: ) , offer this kind of information to their customers, as well as lists of where to get FREE PP's, handicapping software, and nice tutorials on horse racing handicapping. :ThmbUp: (look in the forum here at Pace, under Handicapping Software---read thru, maybe say "the people over at Paceadvantage use some of "these" and list them).

(what's the BIG SECRET ANYWAY??????)

Even the people who claim to "do all this work" and have nifty software programs may ot have a great ROI, and you'll notice they often give you a lot of chalk. Perhaps you can also provide links to good horseracing forums that you come across? You could also sort the sites according to what methodology they are using. Are they concentrating on the horses, jockeys, or the trainers? Even trainers have form cycles. (An example would be Flavor, with Joe Woodward, Churchill Downs Race 10 today. 39.60 to win. Horse had so-so stats but trainer didn't.)

I see no reason not to offer your customers "free" information, of where to get PPs, handicapping advice, picks, or anything else........since it is not a secret. It's out there and it's free.

As for poo-pooing free picks......beginning handicappers can learn a LOT this way. Look at the picks, try to figure out why handicappers chose them. This may lead a new handicapper into HOW to study stats, what to look for, etc. What did this person "see" that they liked about a horse or trainer or jockey?

I guess since I used to be a teacher, I'm totally into "offering information" that helps people learn stuff. :) Especially if it brings new people into a sport everyone keeps insisting is *dying*.

Jay Trotter
11-22-2009, 05:00 PM
James,

First, I have to agree with Andy.....It's a tough crowd but they do grow on you!

Second, there are no dumb questions......so, I don't believe it fair to be dumped on for making a legitimate inquiry!

Third, as a "Paid Advertiser" on PA, I appreciate your support because it facilitates the operation of this outstanding forum and what could be finer.

Finally, one of my main weaknesses (among many) is bankroll and wager management. I for one would certainly welcome your input on this part of the game as the crossover from your core business would likely be very relevant!

Take care and all the best with your site. :ThmbUp:

trying2win
11-22-2009, 07:27 PM
This website has some good handicapping info:

www.turfpedia.com

--Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but as I recall, well-known thoroughbred handicapping author James Quinn has some connection with this site.

T2W

samyn on the green
11-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Play of the day with positive long term ROI. (http://gregcalabrese.blogspot.com/search/label/play%20of%20the%20day)

strike rate 37%
$2 ROI $2.85
Ave winner $7.81

EndlessSportsPicks
11-23-2009, 05:41 AM
James,

First, I have to agree with Andy.....It's a tough crowd but they do grow on you!

Second, there are no dumb questions......so, I don't believe it fair to be dumped on for making a legitimate inquiry!

Third, as a "Paid Advertiser" on PA, I appreciate your support because it facilitates the operation of this outstanding forum and what could be finer.

Finally, one of my main weaknesses (among many) is bankroll and wager management. I for one would certainly welcome your input on this part of the game as the crossover from your core business would likely be very relevant!

Take care and all the best with your site. :ThmbUp:

Jay,

I understand some people are going to like me and others are not. That's fine with me! I'm a big-boy..lol

I posted my personal Money Management System in the sports section area:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=790220#post790220

I hope you like it! and if not NO HARD FEELINGS :(

trying2win
11-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Endless:

I don't have an interest in sports betting. Studying and betting mainly on thoroughbred racing (and sometimes harness racing) is enough of a challenging pastime for me. Nevertheless, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your article re money management on sports betting. Thanks. It's nice to read some different perspectives on betting that might be helpful when wagering on the ponies too. In my opinion, some very good advice in that article.

T2W

EndlessSportsPicks
11-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Endless:

I don't have an interest in sports betting. Studying and betting mainly on thoroughbred racing (and sometimes harness racing) is enough of a challenging pastime for me. Nevertheless, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your article re money management on sports betting. Thanks. It's nice to read some different perspectives on betting that might be helpful when wagering on the ponies too. In my opinion, some very good advice in that article.

T2W

I apreciate the Feedback! I'll be checking out Turfpedia later on today as well.

1GCFAN
11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
(An example would be Flavor, with Joe Woodward, Churchill Downs Race 10 today. 39.60 to win. Horse had so-so stats but trainer didn't.)

I noticed that little item when reviewing the CD charts late Saturday night. The JW/SH team is to be repected all over the midwest. Too bad I wasn't available Sat but you know there was this little game in Ann Arbor!

WinterTriangle
11-23-2009, 10:59 PM
ESP,
Pace has no problem w/me posting about other websites since I don't work for any of 'em.

Cindy Pierson Dulay is a great place to start. She keeps lists of free selections sites, and everything horse....she won an Eclipse Award as journalist/photographer.

Your $ management article was very good, thanks.

TurfRuler
11-24-2009, 11:04 AM
I would be curious to find out how many of the readers of this form would have responded if you had made your request a want ad for a handicapper to handicap races for your service? :D

misscashalot
11-24-2009, 11:07 AM
:ThmbDown:

judd
11-24-2009, 11:24 AM
great quote--why pay someone to lose when you can lose on your own ! :bang:

46zilzal
11-24-2009, 03:39 PM
There are many a software package that works, BUT all of them have a long apprenticeship which MOST do not want to work at.

You cannot do anything well without putting in the work. Takes lots of honest feedback and record keeping. THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS.

I have used the same basic software for over 30 years and am still discovering new ways to apply it. It is a parimutuel game so pick one that is iconoclastic like I did with the Sartin Methodology

jasperson
11-24-2009, 07:53 PM
e-ponies.com is a site the offers free picks at 6 racetracks each day. His picks are about as good as any I have seen. At least they are as good as the ones you pay for at the track and in most cases better. I think they are suitable for the casual player the just wants some idea of what to bet on. Also they can pay $1 to use his picks at a track of their choice. I think we should help people who want to go to track even if they are not serious handicappers. Maybe the will be one day and we need to increase our fan base.