PDA

View Full Version : Sad Bruno Story

andymays
11-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Got this from Bruno (Bruno DeJulio) last night. Tough break. He's had some bad luck with his horses this year and I hope it changes for him. There were a couple of pictures with the email but I don't know how to transfer them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In honor of.....My Screamer

We know life is tough, but when we enjoy something we do it all the way or we don't do it at all. Horses are that way. They are all in. The fly on four small limbs and lay it on the line, because they love to compete.

Screamer at Del Mar (was a picture)

Friday night at Hollywood, our filly, our partnership's Sheza Screamer did just that. She was in the midst of a tremendous move when she suddenly had to be pulled by her jockey Rafael Bejarano.

She was third and gaining at the time, and in a blink, a split second, her career was over and she was fighting for her life.

Sheza Screamer, a three-year-old filly, by Liberty Gold had to be vanned off. She was all in, all the way, she wanted to win, she wanted to run and compete. Bejarano did all he could to pull her up. He jumped off and lifted her leg so she wouldn't trash around and do more damage. Unfortunately, the damage was done. She suffered a shattered sesamoid. A small set of bones at the bottom of the ankle that attaches to the suspensory ligament in the lower leg. If she makes it through the next few days she may be saved, but the extent of the injury is grave.

We love to be entertained by these animals, who give their all for us. For handicappers it's the 4 ball, or number 6 with the 8. Come on 4! To the owners, trainers, and grooms it's a living friend, a pet, a competitor, no different than a football player with a number of his jersey. Horses love to be out there and compete. they also love to be appreciated. I watched Screamer work one morning with Johnny Jenkins on board. Jenkins is a wily old veteran exercise rider. As she crossed the finish line he caressed her neck and padded her on the shoulder and she responded by almost coming out of her skin as she was so pleased she was actually appreciated for her effort. She bounded happy as could be.

Screamer pushing for a rose held by a guest (was a picture)

I love this filly. She was one of a kind, but in the afternoon she didn't have any luck at all. In her debut, we loved her, but she encountered one of those disgusting dug up tracks at Del Mar. The track cut five inches deep on July 29 was an abomination and a disgrace. She raced fifth after some difficulties early. The sad part was how that track knocked her out. She lost weight and her trainer nursed her back to health. She started eating again a week or so later, and didn't race again until the day after Del Mar. She finished second in a race that was simply too short for her on opening day at Pomona. She came back on closing day and finished second after making a scintillating run from ten lengths back in the first 1/4 mile. A lost opportunity as she should have gained her diploma, but off to Fresno we went and she had another nightmare trip. She was bounced around, and bumped from all sides in the first 1/8 of a mile. She was pushed into the rail by a chain reaction at the half mile, bounced off the rail and forced to shuffle back. She raced seven wide to get back in contention and tired, which brings us to her Friday night start at Hollywood. Again, we gave her a month, and put some weight on more. Troeger did a great job as she looked fantastic in the paddock. She was on it. She moved well and within herself. She was a standout in the warm up, but within one minute of her race she was done. Finished and with Bejarano holding her broken ankle (sesamoid).

Whether we can save Screamer or not (I am hoping we can with all my might) I can't wait to give Bejarano, Rafael, a hug and let him know how much I appreciate him for doing all he can to help our filly.

Screamer was a very competitive animal and she deserved to be in the winners circle. She will be always in my winners circle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BDejulio@aol.com

joanied
11-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I posted a reply to this yesterday, don't know why it didn't post...I feel so sad about this little filly...and Bruno's story is touching and eloquent...this man obviously loves his horses and has a special place in his heart for Sheza Screamer....I hope with all my heart she pulls through this injury. If she does, I have no doubt, she'll be allowed to graze and be happy for the rest of her life...maybe produce some nice foals.

Best of luck, Bruno...I'm pulling for you and your little "Screamer'...get well soon.

Andymays...please keep us updated, if you can.

WinterTriangle
11-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for posting this, Andy. I like Bruno and Sheza, and I wish them both the best wishes for coming out of this whole and sound. And yes, hugs to Bejarano