PDA

View Full Version : The 100 million Health Care Bribe

JustRalph
11-19-2009, 06:55 PM
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/11/the-100-million-health-care-vote.html

The $100 Million Health Care Vote?

ABC News' Jonathan Karl reports:

What does it take to get a wavering senator to vote for health care reform?

Here’s a case study.

On page 432 of the Reid bill, there is a section increasing federal Medicaid subsidies for “certain states recovering from a major disaster.”

The section spends two pages defining which “states” would qualify, saying, among other things, that it would be states that “during the preceding 7 fiscal years” have been declared a “major disaster area.”

I am told the section applies to exactly one state: Louisiana, the home of moderate Democrat Mary Landrieu, who has been playing hard to get on the health care bill.

In other words, the bill spends two pages describing would could be written with a single world: Louisiana. (This may also help explain why the bill is long.)

Senator Harry Reid, who drafted the bill, cannot pass it without the support of Louisiana’s Mary Landrieu.

How much does it cost? According to the Congressional Budget Office: $100 million.

hit the link to read the language of the bill

andymays
11-21-2009, 06:57 AM
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/11/the-100-million-health-care-vote.html

Excerpt:

On page 432 of the Reid bill, there is a section increasing federal Medicaid subsidies for “certain states recovering from a major disaster.”

The section spends two pages defining which “states” would qualify, saying, among other things, that it would be states that “during the preceding 7 fiscal years” have been declared a “major disaster area.”

I am told the section applies to exactly one state: Louisiana, the home of moderate Democrat Mary Landrieu, who has been playing hard to get on the health care bill.

In other words, the bill spends two pages describing would could be written with a single world: Louisiana. (This may also help explain why the bill is long.)

Senator Harry Reid, who drafted the bill, cannot pass it without the support of Louisiana’s Mary Landrieu
How much does it cost? According to the Congressional Budget Office: $100 million.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-medicare-california19-2009nov19,0,4818686.story

Excerpt:

Reporting from Washington - Contained in the nearly 2,000-page House healthcare bill is a little-noticed provision -- worth $300 million to California -- that would increase federal Medicare payments to doctors in a wide swath of the state in response to complaints that low reimbursement rates have kept them from taking new patients.

Rep. Sam Farr (D-Carmel) was able to include a reimbursement calculation fix in the overhaul legislation. It was a testament to California's political muscle in the House, where its delegation is the largest of any state and includes Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D- San Francisco) and five committee chairs.

ArlJim78
11-21-2009, 08:54 AM
and now this. what a shocker!

Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) said Friday night that she’s “leaning towards” voting to start debate on the health care bill – which would leave Democrats just a single vote shy of clearing a critical test for the reform package on Saturday. Asked outside the Capitol if she’s made up her mind on starting the debate, Landrieu said she planned to announce her intentions Saturday but told POLITICO, “I’m leaning towards it.”

The $100 million has got her leaning? haha
stay tuned tonight for some real Kabuki theatre in the senate.

boxcar
11-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Amazing what the government can do that would be sooooo illegal for us peons to do-- like creating Ponzi Schemes, bribery, thievery, etc. And libs think all the crooks are in the evil private sector. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Tom
11-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Bottom line, this government is based on one thing - bribery.
Called them anything you want, but ALL lobbies are nothing more than bribes.
And any elected official who has ANY dealing with ANY lobby is a whore and a traitor and an enemy of the people.

The Mafia has FAR more morality than the US government.

prospector
11-21-2009, 01:10 PM
100 million dollars to bend us over...
bribes? or whores? i hope they vote her out next time...i'd like to see tv ads against everyone that votes for this crap...if they'd done that last week against the dems in the house that voted for it, there would be fewer votes in the senate...but they know people forget...stupid sheep:bang:

so.cal.fan
11-21-2009, 01:21 PM
I am so pi**ed off at our two California Senators....why the hell were these two so damn dumb!
Boxer and Feinstein. One of them could have held out......Boxer is way to stupid to have wanted to help California, she never has in all the years she has been in the senate.....but Feinstein, I'm really disappointed. I know she is in favor of the HCB and will vote to finalize it, but she could have expressed problematic issues and held out like Landrieu did and got MILLIONS of help for California! God only knows how much we need it! :bang: :bang: :bang:

lamboguy
11-21-2009, 01:53 PM
100 million dollars to bend us over...
bribes? or whores? i hope they vote her out next time...i'd like to see tv ads against everyone that votes for this crap...if they'd done that last week against the dems in the house that voted for it, there would be fewer votes in the senate...but they know people forget...stupid sheep:bang:voter her out? she just bought her next 5 elections to make her an automatic winner every time she runs. how do you think kennedy and frank got elected each and every time, the exact way this bitch just did.

now you understand why gold is real and the government don't want you to have any. gold is a direct reflection on confidence in government. how can you trust government when they all pull stunts like this one?

ArlJim78
11-21-2009, 03:00 PM
apparently California (http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-medicare-california19-2009nov19,0,4818686.story) has already been taken care of, I mean bribed.

Reporting from Washington - Contained in the nearly 2,000-page House healthcare bill is a little-noticed provision -- worth $300 million to California -- that would increase federal Medicare payments to doctors in a wide swath of the state in response to complaints that low reimbursement rates have kept them from taking new patients.

Rep. Sam Farr (D-Carmel) was able to include a reimbursement calculation fix in the overhaul legislation. It was a testament to California's political muscle in the House, where its delegation is the largest of any state and includes Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D- San Francisco) and five committee chairs.

But as the bill heads to the Senate, the California-only provision is drawing scrutiny from officials in other states who say they suffer from a similar problem.

boxcar
11-21-2009, 03:14 PM
apparently California (http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-medicare-california19-2009nov19,0,4818686.story) has already been taken care of, I mean bribed.

But as the bill heads to the Senate, the California-only provision is drawing scrutiny from officials in other states who say they suffer from a similar problem.

This bill is Runaway Scandal Express heading toward a wreck. There's going to be a point when the people say "enough is enough, already"! These thugs and crooks become more and more emboldened with each passing day. And then people wonder what the purpose behind is behind imprecatory prayers when we have the godless shaking their fists at God and defying him day after day after day with their unrighteous deeds, and trampling on the people in the process. :bang: :bang:

Boxcar

ArlJim78
11-21-2009, 03:19 PM
we already know that congress will be exempt from this hideous legislation, but what I'm waiting to find out is how they manage to protect the cadillac health plans of government workers and unions. you know they're going to be taken care of.

bigmack
11-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Take it easy on Landrieu. This has clearly been a clever plot by "some very partisan Republican bloggers" (even though the story was first reported by ABC News and commented on by U.S. News and World Report) as she stated on the floor today.\

I know that my time is up, but I would like to ask personal privilege for just one more minute to address an issue that has come up unfortunately in the last 24 hours by some very partisan Republican bloggers so I need to respond I think and will do so now," Landrieu said. "One of the provisions in the framework of this bill that I've just decided to move on to debate has to do with fixing a very difficult situation that Louisiana is facing and any other state that might have a catastrophic disaster - let's hope they don't - like we did in 2005.

They treat us like maroons!

Here's Charles Krauthammer:

Well, after watching Louisiana get $100 million in what have some have called 'The Louisiana Purchase,' she ought to ask for $250 million at least. :lol: And that's because Obama said he would end business as usual in Washington. If you look at the sections, it is 2006 in which the Louisiana money, it looks as if it is provision for all states which have had a proclamation of a disaster area in the last seven years, and then the fine print inside eliminates all the others except Louisiana. So it's a new kind of business as usual. I think that Steve [Hayes] is right. There is almost no way imaginable that the vote will fail tomorrow. If it is, it is the ultimate humiliation. It's the rejection of the debate even before it starts.

http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/checker.aspx?v=GdqGqGnzpr

Tom
11-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Anyone who debates in favor of this bill is not an American. End of story.
Why should my tax dollars go to LA or California?
We are broke here in NY, but not nearly because as much stupidity as in California. I say, let them enjoy the benefit so their voting. I say, dissolve the union and we go it on our own at the state level.

lamboguy
11-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Anyone who debates in favor of this bill is not an American. End of story.
Why should my tax dollars go to LA or California?
We are broke here in NY, but not nearly because as much stupidity as in California. I say, let them enjoy the benefit so their voting. I say, dissolve the union and we go it on our own at the state level.hey tom why should we pay for other people to go to bad doctor's that only ruin the people they treat with their bad drugs. i assume you know how to take care of yourself and your family without going to a doctor. i haven't been to a doctor in 30 years now, but i was just forced to pay a ripoff insuranse company money because romney decided to pick our pockets here in massachusetts as a parting gift to us. he wanted to get elected as president and promised the exact same thing throughout the country including new york and california.

you got to admit that during this ordeal with the healthcare push, the republicans look like choir boys, while the democrats look like the guys in the lacosa nostra taking an oath of omarta.

andymays
11-21-2009, 09:49 PM
http://www.rollcall.com/news/40864-1.html?type=printer_friendly

Excerpt:

To help secure her vote, Reid also included a provision in the bill sought by Landrieu to provide increased Medicaid funds for states recovering from major disasters such as 2005’s Hurricane Katrina that devastated New Orleans and parts of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

Landrieu defended the inclusion of the provision and said Republican critics who accuse her of selling her vote for $100 million are wrong and that she has the support of Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.

“I will correct something. It’s not $100 million, it’s $300 million, and I’m proud of it and will keep fighting for it,” Landrieu told reporters after her floor speech. “But that is not why I started this health care debate; I started this health care debate for all the reasons I just mentioned in my statement” on the floor.

Tom
11-21-2009, 10:06 PM
WHORE.

lamboguy
11-21-2009, 10:19 PM
WHORE.i just learned another word for this, i think its russian, but not sure,,,,,,,,,,the guy was yelling at his wife and called her a'COURVA. i like this word better for LANDREAX and PELOSI

prospector
11-21-2009, 10:21 PM
voter her out? she just bought her next 5 elections to make her an automatic winner every time she runs. how do you think kennedy and frank got elected each and every time, the exact way this bitch just did.

now you understand why gold is real and the government don't want you to have any. gold is a direct reflection on confidence in government. how can you trust government when they all pull stunts like this one?
ballots or bullets...they're not afraid of ballots..
my sister-in-law called me today from indiana..she went to a tea party there today with over 1000 very mad voters..i didn't say people, i said voters..that's a solid 1000 votes against sen bayh next year....and growing
back to the desert next week for me..better stock up on supplies..
hear on the business channel if they went back to gold standard it'd be over 6k/ounce...
by the way..you can search "tea party with your state" to keep up to date when and where...

highnote
11-21-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't know of any small businesses with 5-10 employees that pays for health care for their employees. I'm pretty certain most of the delicatessans, dry cleaners, restaurants, landscapers, etc., where I live don't pay for health insurance for their employees.

The reason is because it's too expensive. It didn't use to be. Up until 1988 I paid for my own health insurance for my family until the rates doubled and I had to drop it and self-insure.

Where were the Republicans on health care reform during the Bush years? Republicans held the majority. They could have passed health care legislation. Why didn't they?

I can't remember any health care bills coming to the floor for debate between the years 2000 and 2008. Maybe I've got a short memory? Can someone refresh my memory?

NJ Stinks
11-21-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't know of any small businesses with 5-10 employees that pays for health care for their employees. I'm pretty certain most of the delicatessans, dry cleaners, restaurants, landscapers, etc., where I live don't pay for health insurance for their employees.

The reason is because it's too expensive. It didn't use to be. Up until 1988 I paid for my own health insurance for my family until the rates doubled and I had to drop it and self-insure.

Where were the Republicans on health care reform during the Bush years? Republicans held the majority. They could have passed health care legislation. Why didn't they?

I can't remember any health care bills coming to the floor for debate between the years 2000 and 2008. Maybe I've got a short memory? Can someone refresh my memory?

Your memory is perfect, Swetyejohn. Although I must admit I'm getting to the point where I would just as soon ditch the whole thing. Much of the country that would benefit the most from healthcare reform can't see it or are trying to squeeze even more from all of us before they graciously agree to sign up. :rolleyes:

They deserve to keep whatever they have or don't have now. I'm past blaming the politicians in those states for this. If their constuitents aren't putting any pressure on them to get this done - and if they are I don't see it - let's forget it.

The Dems are wasting political capital to help people who appear to be at best indifferent Maybe it's time to move on. it's not like the Dems didn't try to get it done like they promised before the election. Everyone will know who stopped this down the line.

boxcar
11-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Your memory is perfect, Swetyejohn. Although I must admit I'm getting to the point where I would just as soon ditch the whole thing. Much of the country that would benefit the most from healthcare reform can't see it or are trying to squeeze even more from all of us before they graciously agree to sign up. :rolleyes:

They deserve to keep whatever they have or don't have now. I'm past blaming the politicians in those states for this. If their constuitents aren't putting any pressure on them to get this done - and if they are I don't see it - let's forget it.

The Dems are wasting political capital to help people who appear to be at best indifferent Maybe it's time to move on. it's not like the Dems didn't try to get it done like they promised before the election. Everyone will know who stopped this down the line.

Hey, NJ...pssst....I have a little secret fer ya. Come here and I'll whisper it in your ear. This health care bill isn't about helping people. It's all about controlling and regulating people. It's all about those Dems procuring power.
The more the politicians limit our free choices, the more power they have. The more enslaved we become to the state. Got it now?

Boxcar
P.S. I'd wish you a good night sleep, but you're in perpetual sleep mode, anyway. :rolleyes:

Tom
11-21-2009, 11:48 PM

Because health care is not that bad and not a big issue for most people.
Most people have it and are satisfied with it.
The things the need to be fixed are NOT addressed in this huge bill at all.

If congress REALLY wanted to fix HC, they could do a number of things that would improves it NOW and cost relatively little money at all.

BenDiesel26
11-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Uh, George Bush signed the largest entitlement expansion since the Great Society, which is nothing compared to the one being pushed now which wants to expand the program to everybody. You forget the Medicare Modernization Act of 2003? You should be proud of it, its a smaller version of what Obama wants for everybody. He also tried to pass tort reform which capped damages at 250,000 and a healthcare tax credit to help displaced workers, both were blocked by the senate. That's OK some people have selective memories though. A lot of people even forget that Bill Clinton bombed Iraq in 1998 to attack their "nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors. Their purpose is to protect the national interest of the United States, and indeed the interests of people throughout the Middle East and around the world.

Saddam Hussein must not be allowed to threaten his neighbors or the world with nuclear arms, poison gas or biological weapons." -Bill Clinton

But I digress.