PDA

View Full Version : Trivia Question

Overlay
11-18-2009, 07:43 PM
What two additional first names complete this list?

David
John
Stephen
Thomas
William

Bochall
11-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Been waiting for someone to post a response....need a hint man. Is it racing related???

Tom
11-19-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm stumped.

Greyfox
11-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Wild guess. Pick 2.

Andrew, George, James and Patrick.

They look like Saints names to me.

Steve 'StatMan'
11-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm stumped too. Imagine their last names, or the names of the other two, would likely give it away. Some first names have connections in my mind on many things, but not all of the 5 listed. Tried doing a search just on famous Stephens that I can think of, but and seeing a match on just one or two names, but not all 5. 7 is not enough for a list of Supremem Cour Justices. Tried tooking up the band Aerosmith since I knew of Stephen Tyler, but not the whole band - not getting the other hits. Tried to find more on the band members of Crosby Stills & Nash, but only finding David Crosby & Stephen Stills, 2 others, but no quick list on a search of supporting band members. Tried Colbert Report, never see the show, but wondered if other cast members - nothing matching anything like this.

A topic or field of interest (TV, Entertainment, Government, Racing, etc) would help at this point.

Any groups of 7 make the news lately?

Steve 'StatMan'
11-19-2009, 04:12 PM
For snicks, I throw out Graham and Neil just in case.

Greyfox
11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Second wild stab.

They are all Kings.

Arthur and Henry.

They are all novelists or writers too.

Try Larry King.

Bochall
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Maybe they are the REAL first names of the 7 dwarfs!:lol:

boomman
11-19-2009, 04:51 PM
What two additional first names complete this list?

David
John
Stephen
Thomas
William

Michael
James

Most popular boys names in the 1970's??????????

Boomer

toetoe
11-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Nelson ?

Overlay
11-19-2009, 05:16 PM
The question is related to American history. One of the two missing names is Hiram.

Quagmire
11-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Leslie

Pace Cap'n
11-19-2009, 06:13 PM
The question is related to American history. One of the two missing names is Hiram.

Walker.

Overlay
11-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Leslie

You got it.

The seven names are the answer to the question, "What were the first names by birth of Presidents who served, or who were commonly known, under names other than their first (or a variant of their first) and/or last names by birth?"

In the order they appeared in the thread, that would be:

Eisenhower (David Dwight)
Coolidge (John Calvin)
Cleveland (Stephen Grover)
Wilson (Thomas Woodrow)
Clinton (William Jefferson Blythe III)
Grant (Hiram Ulysses)
Ford (Leslie Lynch King, Jr.)

bigmack
11-19-2009, 07:09 PM
It says here on your birth certificate Leslie Lynch King, Jr. and you're saying you're Jerry Ford and have a handicap of 28? I don't buy it.

Quagmire
11-19-2009, 07:20 PM
You got it.

The seven names are the answer to the question, "What were the first names by birth of Presidents who served, or who were commonly known, under names other than their first (or a variant of their first) and/or last names by birth?"

In the order they appeared in the thread, that would be:

Eisenhower (David Dwight)
Coolidge (John Calvin)
Cleveland (Stephen Grover)
Wilson (Thomas Woodrow)
Clinton (William Jefferson Blythe III)
Grant (Hiram Ulysses)
Ford (Leslie Lynch King, Jr.)

Tough trivia question, I had no idea until the Hiram clue.

illinoisbred
11-19-2009, 07:26 PM
The story goes Grant dropped Hiram upon entering West Point. He was nicknamed Hug,which he didn't want to follow him to the academy.

Overlay
11-19-2009, 07:29 PM
The story goes Grant dropped Hiram upon entering West Point. He was nicknamed Hug,which he didn't want to follow him to the academy.

I had also heard the story about Grant himself changing his name from Hiram Ulysses to Ulysses Hiram for the reason you cited. It was an error by the Congressman who nominated him to West Point that turned him into Ulysses Simpson, and Grant just decided to keep the name.

Overlay
11-19-2009, 07:37 PM
It says here on your birth certificate Leslie Lynch King, Jr. and you're saying you're Jerry Ford and have a handicap of 28? I don't buy it.

And while we're on the subject, what state is Nairobi in, anyway? (Oops, sorry! (Six presidents too soon.)) :)

Bochall
11-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Try this one: we all know that Lou Gehrig took Wally Pipp's job after the famous headache, but what famous man lost his job in right field to Babe Ruth when the Yanks traded for him??

Bochall
11-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Oops...retraction time. After some degree of research i found my question to be invalid. I thought the answer was 'Papa Bear' George Halas but that is a popular rumor. Halas played for the Yanks but retired due to a hip injury. By the way, Babe replaced some cat named Sammy Vick, hardly a famous guy.....sorry ya'll.:(

boomman
11-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Happened ONCE in major league baseball history: A player hit a triple only to have been called out for missing BOTH 2nd and 3rd base! :D

TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

(hint) he used to do a beer commercial;)

Boomer

Overlay
11-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Happened ONCE in major league baseball history: A player hit a triple only to have been called out for missing BOTH 2nd and 3rd base! :D

TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

(hint) he used to do a beer commercial;)

Boomer

It had to have been the legendary Mets' first baseman, "Marvelous Marv" Throneberry (the man who opened his Miller Lite beer commercial by saying, "It used to take 43 Marv Throneberry baseball cards to get one Carl Furillo.", and who passed away on June 23, 1994 at the age of sixty (rest in peace).)

However, wouldn't someone who hit a triple have to touch third base at some point? Or did he miss the bag at third and then get tagged out, after being out already for having missed second base? Or did you mean that he missed both first and second base on his way to third? (Sorry if I'm overanalyzing.)

Bochall
11-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Think Overlay is right....Marvelous Marv. Who is the only guy in ML history to steal FIRST base? After he did it a rule was passed to disallow what he had done.

Overlay
11-20-2009, 01:10 AM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_was_the_first_person_to_steal_first_base

As noted at the link, would that be Herman "Germany" Schaefer in 1908?

Bochall
11-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Too much googling/wikipediang!!! No pitcher has ever thrown 2 perfect games, but one catcher has caught 2 perfect games.....name him.

Overlay
11-20-2009, 01:21 AM
Ron Hassey, who caught Len Barker's perfect game when he played for the Indians in 1981, and Dennis Martinez's perfect game for the Expos in 1991.

Bochall
11-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Ron Hassey, who caught Len Barker's perfect game when he played for the Indians in 1981, and Dennis Martinez's perfect game for the Expos in 1991.

Good Lord...:rolleyes:

toetoe
11-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Carl Furillo

He was good, but didn't the Dodgers choose him over Willie Mays ? Sump'm like that.

Let's play "The Six Degrees of Carl Furillo." :jump: .

bigmack
11-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Let's play "The Six Degrees of Carl Furillo." :jump: .
Johnny Cash (2)

bigmack
11-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Johnny Cash (2)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/Car.jpg

Carl Furillo installed the elevators in the World Trade Center :eek: - Designed by

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/MinoruYamasaki.jpg

Minoru Yamashaki who appeared on the Cover of Time Magazine - As did...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/JCash.jpg

Johnny C

(Insert sportscaster like) Oh My!

toetoe
11-20-2009, 10:57 PM
World Trade Center

Is that where they dreamt up Cepeda for Sadecki ? :faint: ... :bang: .

---Giants fan

Overlay
11-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I had been trying to make a connection through Chuck Connors' baseball/cinematic/TV careers, but hadn't found the cinematic/TV link yet (although I'm sure there must have been one).

bigmack
11-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I had been trying to make a connection through Chuck Conners' baseball/cinematic/TV careers, but hadn't found the cinematic/TV link yet (although I'm sure there must have been one).
Forgive me. The elevator installer chapter of his life was a tad arcane. :blush:

toetoe
11-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Forgive me. The elevator installer chapter of his life was a tad arcane. :blush:

Hey, we get it. CFur's life had its ups and downs. And you can't deny that the Dodgers and baseball in general gave him the shaft.

Now ... Laraine Day >>> (2).

bisket
11-20-2009, 11:25 PM
who was called out at second in a baseball game. the scene was similar to the famous stanford band incident in college football.

bigmack
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Hey, we get it. CFur's life had its ups and downs. And you can't deny that the Dodgers and baseball in general gave him the shaft.
:lol:

Now ... Laraine Day >>> (2).

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/branch-rickey-and-carl-furillo.jpg

Carl up to bat, facing Dem Der Giants coached by...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/Leo_Durocher1000.jpg

Leo "The Stealo" Durocher. Durocher encouraged the "plunking" of Furillo who was summarily plunked.

Furillo went after Durocher and began choking said Durocher ending in a brouhaha. Leo married...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/laraineday.jpg

Laraine Day. Becoming "the first lady of baseAball"

Overlay
11-20-2009, 11:56 PM
who was called out at second in a baseball game. the scene was similar to the famous stanford band incident in college football.

Fred "Bonehead" Merkle, who broke the hearts of Giants fans in 1908 (but who, to his credit, thereby became largely responsible for the Cubs' last (to date) World Series appearance that year).

(Coming down to the last game of the 1908 National League regular season on 23 September, the Giants and Cubs were tied for first place, and were playing each other in New York with the pennant on the line. The Giants had runners on first (Merkle) and third in the bottom of the ninth, with the score tied 1-1, the winning run on third, and two out. A single was hit to the outfield. When Merkle saw the runner on third cross the plate with what appeared to be the winning run, he turned around in his tracks and headed for the dugout, without touching second base. The Cubs threw the ball to second and appealed, and Merkle was called out on the force play, and the run was negated. Since jubilant Giant fans were all over the field by then, and it was judged that the game could not be resumed, it was replayed in its entirety in New York on 8 October, and the Giants lost the game and the pennant.)

Dave Schwartz
11-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Happened ONCE in major league baseball history: A player hit a triple only to have been called out for missing BOTH 2nd and 3rd base!

TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, false. While he may have, in fact, missed both bases, he can only be called out once.

There is a great Marv Throneberry story that I believe IS completely true. In the Mets original season (1962?) where their record was a dismal 40-120 (2 games never played).

As I recall, Marvelous Marv hit a bases loaded homerun to win a game 4-3 but missed 1st base and was called out on appeal.

Try this one: we all know that Lou Gehrig took Wally Pipp's job after the famous headache...

Try THIS one:

"Who replaced Lou Gehrig?"

And one more...

"Name the only relief pitcher to be credited with a perfect game. For extra credit, name the starting pitcher. For double extra credit, explain how it happened."

(Okay, it wasn't actually credited as a perfect game, but many historians have said it should be. In addition, I believe the Commissioner of Baseball at the time said he should get credit. And who was THAT?)

Dave

bisket
11-21-2009, 12:01 AM
yup: merkle's boner. which in modern day language would mean a completely different thing :lol:

BillW
11-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Try THIS one:

"Who replaced Lou Gehrig?"

Dave

Babe Dahlgren

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Bill W,

Good call.

And I made a msitake... there was no commissioner of baseball then at teh time of the "perfect game."

Dave

bigmack
11-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Babe Dahlgren
Who was the very first baseball player to take a drug test?

Overlay
11-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Try THIS one:

"Name the only relief pitcher to be credited with a perfect game. For extra credit, name the starting pitcher. For double extra credit, explain how it happened."

Babe Ruth started the game on June 23, 1917 (in the days when he was still a pitcher with the Red Sox). He walked the first batter, but was then ejected for arguing the call with the home plate umpire. He was replaced by Ernie Shore, who "completed" the no-hitter by retiring the next 27 batters. (Although Shore did not walk anybody, the game is still classified as a no-hitter, rather than a perfect game.)

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Overlay, right-o.

Okay... a little tougher one. Name the players on the field for the Yankees at the time of the famous Bill Mazeroski homerun.

Dave

bisket
11-21-2009, 12:09 AM
the best mets story is the one about the shortstop who spoke spanish and the left fielder who didn't understand spanish. so whenever there was a fly ball to shallow left field they would collide. so a coach took them aside and said to the left fielder when the shortstop says, "yo tang yo tango" it means i got it so let him have it. so the next game a shallow fly ball to left field, and the shortstop yells, "yo tang yo tango" the left fielder pulls up to get out of the way and the shortstop collides with the center fielder. :lol: thats from the pbs tapes on baseball.

toetoe
11-21-2009, 12:10 AM
merkle's boner

Okay, it didn't exactly belong to Merkle(sp.?), but here goes:

Carl Furillo ran into the Giants' dugout and choked Big Leo.

Laraine "Relaxwegotall" Day choked ... ahem ... Little Leo.

I t'ink dat was da second d'gree. Ah dunno ... mebbe it was da t'oid ?

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2009, 12:14 AM
the best mets story is the one about the shortstop who spoke spanish and the left fielder who didn't understand spanish. so whenever there was a fly ball to shallow left field they would collide. so a coach took them aside and said to the left fielder when the shortstop says, "yo tang yo tango" it means i got it so let him have it. so the next game a shallow fly ball to left field, and the shortstop yells, "yo tang yo tango" the left fielder pulls up to get out of the way and the shortstop collides with the center fielder. thats from the pbs tapes on baseball.

That IS great story. It was Richie Ashburn and (I think) Elio Chacon. Also, I believe it came from Boys of Summer or one of those other classic baseball books.

God, but I love this tuff.

Dave

PS: Ashburn actually played center.

PPS: It was also from the Mets in the early 1960s.

toetoe
11-21-2009, 12:16 AM
"yo tang yo tango" "yo tang yo tango"

Those Hispanic chaps, always with the dancing. What's with all the dancing ? :rolleyes: .

BillW
11-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Overlay, right-o.

Okay... a little tougher one. Name the players on the field for the Yankees at the time of the famous Bill Mazeroski homerun.

Dave
tougher without a net connection :)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PIT/PIT196010130.shtml

Bochall
11-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Love the trivia thread, but its hard to stump each other when things like google and wikipedia exist...all answers are only minutes away, if that. Here's a neat Richie Ashburn story. He hit a foul ball one day and it hit and injured a woman in the stands. She was injured to the point of needing a stretcher to carry her off. The game was halted while they tended to the woman. On her way out on the stretcher she was hit by another Ashburn foul ball...believe it or not.

BillW
11-21-2009, 12:21 AM
sports-reference.com is an amazing database :)

http://www.sports-reference.com/

Bochall
11-21-2009, 12:22 AM
The Ashburn story is true...i always check for accuracy AFTER posting. Makes for great personal drama as i search wikipedia. Anyway, if i knew anything about computers i would post the link (i think) and you could read it on wiki, but go look it up. Neat story. He broke the womans nose with the first foul ball.

Overlay
11-21-2009, 12:24 AM
That IS great story. It was Richie Ashburn and (I think) Elio Chacon.

It was in fact Elio Chacon, whom the late Dick Schaap characterized as being able to play second, short, or third with equal risk.

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah, too bad. It does make it easy. I forgot about that.

The 1960 World Series was my first series. I was 9.

Actually, I had watched some of the games the year before with my Dad but had no clue what I was watching. (That was ChiSox vs. Dodgers, where they set all the attendance records.)

The key to the Yankee question was that this was the game (as I recall) where Kubek got hit in the throat in the 8th inning. Then Joe DeMaestri replaces Kubek and gets pinch hit for in the 9th inning. When the Yanks go back on the field, McDougald goes in for DeMaestri's pinch hitter but plays 3rd, with Boyer moving to SS.

bigmack
11-21-2009, 12:25 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/11_20_09_21_22_30.png

Answer: Babe Dahlgren, circa '43 :cool:

Overlay
11-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Those Hispanic chaps, always with the dancing. What's with all the dancing ? :rolleyes: .

The phrase (as I heard the story) was, "Yo la tengo."
(So I guess Elio and Richie get voted off DWTS.)

Dave Schwartz
Overlay,

Again, great call!

I had forgotten Dick Schaap!

Dave
Who is actually doing these from
memory, believe it or not.

PS: I was such a table sports game nut back then. A few years ago I actually went out and re-purchased the old APBA baseball and football games. Do you guys remember those days? Watching the mail box for the new season cards to arrive?

BillW

What form did that test take?

BillW
11-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Overlay,

Again, great call!

I had forgotten Dick Schaap!

Dave
Who is actually doing these from
memory, believe it or not.

PS: I was such a table sports game nut back then. A few years ago I actually went out and re-purchased the old APBA baseball and football games. Do you guys remember those days? Watching the mail box for the new season cards to arrive?

Yep big APBA fan since I was about 10. And yes I do have the baseball and football board game.

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2009, 12:31 AM
Bill,

I knew you were a kindred spirit!

What is your favorite baseball game these days? Or do you have one?

I love Diamond Mine but have not played a single game in over three years. Every year at Christmas Beth gets me the newest "cards" and keeps the program up to date but I just never get around to playing.

Dave

bigmack
11-21-2009, 12:31 AM
The phrase (as I heard the story) was, "Yo la tengo."
(So I guess Elio and Richie get voted off DWTS.)
After a few run-in's Ashburn axed: What the hell is this Yellow Tango?

Overlay
11-21-2009, 12:32 AM

The test was prompted by rumors of marijuana use, which Wikipedia's article on Dahlgren describes as "a non-performance-enhancing substance" (a characterization that could be verified with reference to any number of the guys who lived in my dorm in college).

Bochall
11-21-2009, 12:33 AM
I remember a baseball board game from my youth called Superstar Baseball. I am a little younger than you (40) i think so you may have been grown before this game debuted, but what fun it was. Had player performance cards from Mathewson to Eddie Mathews to Stargell and Bench. Game probably came out in the mid 70's as all the 'latest' players were Reggie Jackson and Bench etc from that era. Anyway, you sparked my memory by mentioning the other game you played...wonder if anyone remembers Superstar Baseball.

BillW
11-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Bill,

I knew you were a kindred spirit!

What is your favorite baseball game these days? Or do you have one?

I love Diamond Mine but have not played a single game in over three years. Every year at Christmas Beth gets me the newest "cards" and keeps the program up to date but I just never get around to playing.

Dave

I have Diamond Mine based on your recommendation of a year or two ago. Great time killer when sitting in an air terminal :).

Overlay
11-21-2009, 12:36 AM

Strat-O-Matic was always my favorite.

BillW
11-21-2009, 12:36 AM

I was expecting a trick question like for instance Dahlgren was an MD that took a "Drug" test while in med school ;)

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Superstar Baseball.

Is one of those with a "spinner?"

Bill,

I haven't done it in years but I used to get together with a guy from "our era" and we'd play "name that team." We'd pick a baseball or football team from the '60s and try to name the entire starting team. Not much fun with an internet connection, though. It's just too easy to llok stuff up.

Dave

who's got to go. This has been a great thread. Thanks for the memories, guys.

bigmack
11-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Psychological

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/inkblot.gif

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Strat-O-Matic was always my favorite.

Okay... one more post.

Strat-O was an interesting concept. As I recall, there was a hitter's card and a pitcher's card. In a given at bat, you would determine (by chance) which would be responsible for the play.

It wasn't a mathematically sound approach but it was certainly playable. For example, a guy that gives up lots of homeruns pitches against a guy that never hits a homerun... nexst thing you know, Homerun!

Dave

Overlay
11-21-2009, 12:42 AM
Is one of those with a "spinner?"

The one I remember with spinners was Ethan Allen's All-Star Baseball.

Dave Schwartz
11-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Overlay and others,

We had them all, didn't we?

For basketball I really liked Big League Manager. Never played their baseball game but loved the basketball.

APBA's basketball was just terrible. Way too slow.

Dave

Who's really got to go
before his wife kills him.

BillW
11-21-2009, 12:50 AM
The APBA football game really didn't live up to the quality/accuracy/speed of the baseball game either, but it was a bit better than the basketball game. The golf game was about in the middle too. Never had the horse racing game.

Overlay
11-21-2009, 01:03 AM

I assume that the test was not my analysis, but urinalysis.

BillW
11-21-2009, 01:05 AM

They probably put him in a room with a half dozen twinkies on the table. :lol:

bigmack
11-21-2009, 01:13 AM
They probably put him in a room with a half dozen twinkies on the table. :lol:
:lol:

Once he gravitated - YOUR'E OUT OF THE LEAGUE!

Bochall
11-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Superstar Baseball was a dice game. Must be similar to Strat-O-Matic. It also had a pitcher and batter card. The board was a baseball field with stat charts (for certain dice rolls, non hitting stuff like passed ball, wild pitch, HBP, etc..)on either side. The batter card went in the batters box and the pitcher card on the mound. There were baserunner tokens as well. Anyway, neat game.

toetoe
11-21-2009, 01:22 AM
The test was prompted by rumors of marijuana use

Wicked rumors they were, doubtless fanned by Babe's mere presence in the company of jazzman Mezz Mezzrow. The Miff Mole storyline is probably apocryphal.

eastie
11-21-2009, 01:44 AM
who was the first player to wear his first name on his jersey ?

which 2 college roommates won the mvp's in their respective sports. one's first name is the other's last?

for all red sox fans....if you don't know what number Bernie Carbo wore, you really aren't a true fan.

eastie
11-21-2009, 02:19 AM
the first baseball player that is ...sorry for the confusion

Overlay
11-21-2009, 02:23 AM

Would that be Ichiro?

Overlay
11-21-2009, 02:31 AM
for all red sox fans....if you don't know what number Bernie Carbo wore, you really aren't a true fan.

I'm not a member of Red Sox Nation, but Bernie wore Number 1.

eastie
11-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Would that be Ichiro?

way before ichiro....

eastie
11-21-2009, 03:22 AM
I'm not a member of Red Sox Nation, but Bernie wore Number 1.

the more memorable homer in that game for those there.

Overlay
11-21-2009, 10:18 AM

How about Vida Blue?

eastie
11-21-2009, 03:26 PM
winner...good job

toetoe
11-21-2009, 03:37 PM

Nicely, nicely. :ThmbUp: . That's your Austin Peay education trickling through.

True or false ? The great Robert Parish wore his i.q. on his jersey.

Epistolarily,
Recently regruntled Warriors fan.

boomman
11-21-2009, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Schwartz]Actually, false. While he may have, in fact, missed both bases, he can only be called out once.

There is a great Marv Throneberry story that I believe IS completely true. In the Mets original season (1962?) where their record was a dismal 40-120 (2 games never played).

As I recall, Marvelous Marv hit a bases loaded homerun to win a game 4-3 but missed 1st base and was called out on appeal.

Actually TRUE but I described it incorrectly-He missed BOTH 1st and 2nd Base and was called out ONCE on appeal. And it was indeed Marv Throneberry and your story about him missing 1st base on a home run was TRUE too!:lol:

Boomer

bisket
11-21-2009, 07:33 PM
in one of these thornberry incidents didn't casey come out of the dugout to argue the call and the umpire said, "casey i hate to tell ya but he missed 1st also". so casey pretty much went back to the dugout with his tail between his legs. :lol:

eastie
11-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Nicely, nicely. :ThmbUp: . That's your Austin Peay education trickling through.

True or false ? The great Robert Parish wore his i.q. on his jersey.

Epistolarily,
Recently regruntled Warriors fan.

actual quote from Parish after he got caught receiving a bag of the skunk weed via fed ex.
Me : "hey chief, are you staying away from the peacepipe ?
Parrish : " You got to get the good stuff when you can. "

Bochall
11-22-2009, 09:40 AM
The Chief Spleef....Celtic Green

cj's dad
11-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Overlay, right-o.

Dave

I was 12 then and a big Yanks fan - this is from memory - I will look it up later.

C-Yogi Berra
1B- Bill Skowron
2nd- Bobby Richardson
SS- Tony Kubek
3B-Andy Carey
LF-Hector Lopez
CF-Mantle (first name not necessary)
RF-Maris
P- no clue

cj's dad
11-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Amazing that game 7 at Forbes Field was not a sellout.

BillW
11-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I was 12 then and a big Yanks fan - this is from memory - I will look it up later.

C-Yogi Berra
1B- Bill Skowron
2nd- Bobby Richardson
SS- Tony Kubek
3B-Andy Carey
LF-Hector Lopez
RF-Maris
P- no clue

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=789091&postcount=50

Boyer was at short, McDougald at 3rd, Berra in left, Blanchard catching and Ralph Terry was pitching

;)

Dave Schwartz
11-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Dad,

A good try, especially from memory.

Andy Carey was a name I would never have thought of. All I recall of him was his baseball card.

I looked him up and noted that he had only 3 at bats for NY in 1960 before being traded to KC.

I think the reason you remembered him so well is because of the vast differences in our ages (back then). You were 12 and I was only 9. ;)

A personal aside about that world series - it ruined my life.

See, I was in the 4th grade then. Never missed a day of school and had perfect grades. So, the world series had some day games and my father says, "Why don't we let him stay home from school so that he can watch the series?" So, I stayed home from school with a phony illness.

All I could think was, "You CAN stay home from school?" Never again was I concerned about school or grades, or even going. It absolutely ruined my work ethic.

I was in the Army before I got it back even a little, when I learned about "commitment to the mission."

Needless to say, this was not they what I taught my children.

Dave

toetoe
11-22-2009, 12:01 PM

C-Yogi Berra
1B- Bill Skowron
2nd- Bobby Richardson
SS- Tony Kubek
3B-Andy Carey
LF-Hector Lopez
RF-Maris
P- no clue

Where's the great Tommy Tresh, who was robbed of a bunt single versus Bob Gibson in a later Series (1964?), which robbery was pivotal ... :confused:

Dave Schwartz
11-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Military?

BillW
11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Where's the great Tommy Tresh, who was robbed of a bunt single versus Bob Gibson in a later Series (1964?), which robbery was pivotal ... :confused:

'61 was his first year in the bigs.

Dave Schwartz
11-22-2009, 01:02 PM
High school, then?

cj's dad
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Dad,

A good try, especially from memory.

Andy Carey was a name I would never have thought of. All I recall of him was his baseball card.

I looked him up and noted that he had only 3 at bats for NY in 1960 before being traded to KC.

I think the reason you remembered him so well is because of the vast differences in our ages (back then). You were 12 and I was only 9. ;)

A personal aside about that world series - it ruined my life.

See, I was in the 4th grade then. Never missed a day of school and had perfect grades. So, the world series had some day games and my father says, "Why don't we let him stay home from school so that he can watch the series?" So, I stayed home from school with a phony illness.

All I could think was, "You CAN stay home from school?" Never again was I concerned about school or grades, or even going. It absolutely ruined my work ethic.

I was in the Army before I got it back even a little, when I learned about "commitment to the mission."

Needless to say, this was not they what I taught my children.

Dave

The best memory I have regarding is that when I was very young, I came home from school at about 3PM and my mom who was a great and knowledgeable baseball fan made me sit and watch the completion of Don Larsens perfect game. I really wanted to go out and play but she said that if this happened I would never forget. She was right, the sight of Yogi jumping into Larsens arms is something that is indelible in my memory.

Baseball is truly the sport of memories, IMO.