PDA

View Full Version : Hol 5 - Holland Creek

WinterTriangle
11-18-2009, 06:53 PM
ugh. That was an ugly breakdown w/that O'neil runner. I had the horse in my trifecta.:confused:

picojim
11-18-2009, 07:05 PM
2nd O'Neill horse that broke down within a week :(

Jazzandthemagician on Sunday @Philly Park had to be put down

WinterTriangle
11-18-2009, 07:59 PM
2nd O'Neill horse that broke down within a week :(

Jazzandthemagician on Sunday @Philly Park had to be put down

I follow what happens to horses. Odd chronology.

Jazzandthemagician is a Birdstone and was nominated to triple crown for 2009, I remember when he was scratched from the Remsen Stakes to go in the Jockey Club at 1 1/16th.

In January, he ran in the Spectacular Bid at Gulfstream against Notonthesamepage, YouLuckieMann.

He ran in the Pomona Derby in Sept at Fairplex, in a route...... and then was entered in a $10K claimer at Oak Tree in October, all that back class, and entered in a 10K claimer? :confused: :confused:

Now, on Sunday, he was running a sprint, even though he usually runs routes.... and breaks down.

And only 3 years old. ?

Wasn't this one of the horses that Zayat took away from Dale Romans?

Both are listed as also being owned, not just trained, by O'Neil. What a tough week for him.

Equus
11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I only heard about this, but as ex-hotwalker, it was very sad. Did you see if they got to her quickly or see if they put up curtain to put her down on track? Fill in blanks if you can. Thanks.

Show Me the Wire
11-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Jock, Bejarano I think, jumped off quickly and held the horse. The horse was standing, but it did not look good. That is about all I could see on the TV.

Hopefully, someone who was at the track can chime in.

Equus
11-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks....I didn't want to replay the race and see it...seen too many and think of it too long. I hope they put her down on track...thanks so much.

Show Me the Wire
11-20-2009, 01:32 PM
I understand it is like losing a friend. The heart grows heavy.

Equus
11-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Yes SMTWire...they are like friends and innocent. I just called Hollywood Park...she was put down immediately there on the track. Thank God she didn't suffer long.
I'm volunteering at racetracks in CA to help trainers find homes for horses that were too slow or injured, but okay for pleasure horses, so if you know of anyone, let me know.
Thanks to Hollywood Park for caring to answer and to you all on this forum.

WinterTriangle
11-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Equus, thanks for letting us know, and thank you for taking the time and following up on Holland Creek's outcome. May she rest in peace.

Equus
11-21-2009, 05:18 PM
If anyone wants to email TVG about their coverage, the PR person is pr@tvg.com . I'm asking them why they can't spare a few updates on horses pulled up or hurt, as ABC, NBC does....they certainly have time to interview the vets or tell us what happened to the colt/filly, etc...not hide it as they do and go on to how they made money on the last race..etc.

kenwoodallpromos
11-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Was the horse Holland Creek slowing down in works, having less works, having recent gaps in works? Sounds to me like the trainer was trying to race a horse that has been to some extent hurt or staying sore. I doubt O'Neill drops to 10k or switches distances/surfaces just to help bettors or to give away a derby runner.
How would you try to keep a declining horse held together and racing?

bigmack
11-21-2009, 08:01 PM
I follow what happens to horses. Odd chronology.
Jazzandthemagician is a Birdstone and was nominated to triple crown for 2009, I remember when he was scratched from the Remsen Stakes to go in the Jockey Club at 1 1/16th.

In January, he ran in the Spectacular Bid at Gulfstream against Notonthesamepage, YouLuckieMann.

He ran in the Pomona Derby in Sept at Fairplex, in a route...... and then was entered in a $10K claimer at Oak Tree in October, all that back class, and entered in a 10K claimer? :confused: :confused:

Now, on Sunday, he was running a sprint, even though he usually runs routes.... and breaks down.

And only 3 years old. ?

Wasn't this one of the horses that Zayat took away from Dale Romans?

Both are listed as also being owned, not just trained, by O'Neill. What a tough week for him.
Get a spokesman out pronto to say these horses broke down doing what they love to do. O'Neill is in no way to be held accountable for these deaths.

What a tough week for O'Neill. :bang:

WinterTriangle
11-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Get a spokesman out pronto to say these horses broke down doing what they love to do. O'Neill is in no way to be held accountable for these deaths.

Nobody is blaming O'Neill. Sorry if you read my post that way.:confused:

I wrote out the history of this horse to show how precocious horses at 2 years old can "slide down the ladder" pretty quickly by 3. :(

(In the case of Jazz, it certainly bears out.)

After seeing another maiden break down at HOL tonight Bonnie Brown Eyes, and then the one in this topic Holland Creek, the Jazz, there are those of us who like to give some history and/or recognition on horses who break down.

and would like to see TVG and the tracks give a *moment* to mention it, too. Holland Creek was not mentioned, I know because I watched the rest of the races that day, and Equus had to telephone the track to find out what happened to the horse.

PS. I do think jazz had a odd chronology, so I posted it. Forum members can interpret it however they see fit. I merely said it looked odd to ME.

Equus
11-22-2009, 12:46 AM
WT has a point. When I was on the backstretch, I never liked the claiming races under 35K, for they often put horses in there (or owners pressured them to)...to race. O'neill's owners might have pressured him to put her in there, and either way...owner's fault or trainer for pushing the filly, in a way, yes. Trainers I liked often chanced it. I couldn't do it if I were an owner...but with the lower-class horses, sadly they do risk them. Not right..look at George Washington, a totally different class..higher class, but the greedy owners knew he was worth nothing as a stud, so took him out of retirement, raced him in what the 07 Breeders Cup...and well...that was the end of him. Sad.

Equus
11-22-2009, 12:50 AM
on no...not another this week.......did they get to the filly quickly...did she fall or van her off to put her down...how is jock? Dang

Equus
11-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Here http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/11/jockey-garrett-gomez-injured-in-spill.html The horse died instantly...omg what a fall. Gomez will be okay.

All..check off the box "delete messages" as some I cannot send to you as over quota. Be sure the box is unchecked and delete after reading. I just found that box myself.

Wish O'Neill was not taking LavaMan out of retirement (or the owners were not). I visited that old guy a year ago....when they retired him. Now due to stem cells, they are bringing him back....not happy about this. Pray for his safety. I like O'Neill a lot...but trainers are trainers...they obey their clients. Clients and owners can be greedy. Some are great..some....not.

PaceAdvantage
11-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Whenever a horse goes down or a jock is dumped, the TVG hosts always say they will try to get more information on the condition of horse and rider...not sure if they actually do, but that's what they say after a spill...

Any regular TVG viewer would know this...

Show Me the Wire
11-22-2009, 02:56 PM
They do and they did. Gave an update on the air about Gomez complaining about elbow and shoulder pain while being conscious during transport to hospital and the demise of the filly.

Didn't have to wait too long for the update.

Stillriledup
11-22-2009, 03:19 PM
This was Bobby Frankels last winner, Vic was obligated to give the sad call to the wire and not a 'bobby tribute' call. Too bad this injury happened i was hoping to hear what Vic would have said as Bobby's last horse was cruising to an easy win.

Equus
11-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Regular watcher of TVG but they hardly ever give an update and are the worst that way when a horse is hurt...most viewers who care about the horses and not just betting know this and wish they were better.

Equus
11-22-2009, 04:11 PM
So glad young Quality Road who had that horrible gate scare in BCup is doing better..here is his latest schooling. Good for him http://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/stories/Nov212009.shtml

Equus
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks SMTWire....good to know they gave one update....maybe they are hearing from enough folks. Thanks.

PaceAdvantage
11-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks SMTWire....good to know they gave one update....maybe they are hearing from enough folks. Thanks.Like I said, EVERY TIME a horse or rider goes down, they say they will try and get an update.

Obviously, if the track where the spill took place doesn't give them an update, then they will have nothing to give out on the air.

At a track like Hollywood, which partners with TVG, they are going to have excellent access and be able to provide the timely updates.

I don't think there is anything shady going on here, or that they are avoiding or covering up anything...can't really understand the criticism on this one...

Tee
11-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I watched the race, I watched the filly go down. Mike Valpredo reported on the conditon of Garrett Gomez. Ken Rudulph mentioned on air that Bonnie Brown Eyes was no longer with us.

This was not just one update. They do it all the time(if info is available.) You have to be watching/listening.

Equus
11-23-2009, 02:13 AM
No need for "LIKE I SAID..." geeez. Glad TVG gives you all the updates you want. They could get any update they wanted, and most who watch not just for who won care about the horses and want updates. TVG says they will get one, and most often never bother to...they could. I have been in broadcasting and it's a phone call away. We always did. They chose not to. Sorry even mentioned it...too much time. Agree to disagree and I'm done.

PaceAdvantage
11-23-2009, 02:39 AM
I have been in broadcasting and it's a phone call away.Not always, and certainly not always within the required time frame.

Equus
11-23-2009, 10:17 AM
true, Pace. I think it's more they rather move forward and not remind viewers about it. I heard that from an ex HRTV person. I wish there were a way we could find out, but you know, this board here was the only one who had it...WT and others, so as long as we have us, we will have answers.

Show Me the Wire
11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Mike Valpredo (what was he thinking) wanted to interview Mitchell about the breakdown and Rudolph nixed that plan.

I agree the promoters of horse racing rather move forward and mot remind viewers of a tragedy. TVG will give an update, but will not continue to repeat the story like news events and will not cover the incident in-depth.