PDA

View Full Version : Lenny Shulman on Bobby Frankel! This is a great article!

andymays
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
More Than Horses - By Lenny Shulman

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/finalturn/archive/2009/11/17/more-than-horses-by-lenny-shulman.aspx

Excerpt:

Bobby Frankel was not for everybody. I was crazy about him.

Just months ago a writer for this magazine begged off a story because it entailed calling him. I knew the feeling. One of my first assignments here was calling Bobby after his brilliant trainee Mazel Trick suffered a career-ending injury. His reputation as a man-eater was widespread, and I figured my career might just end before it began. My heart was beating through my chest when I made the call. He picked up right away, gave me a straight-forward description of what happened, and away we went.

Excerpt:

It was more than just horses with Frankel. He loved talking politics, and during presidential campaigns he devoured the nightly cable news shows, constantly in wonderment at the foibles of those with whom he disagreed. He delved into human nature, fascinated with the reasons why people thought the way they did. He relished the diversion, after decades of devoting himself to horses, of being able to exercise his brain and expound on his opinions of other things.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/finalturn/archive/2009/11/17/more-than-horses-by-lenny-shulman.aspx

andymays
11-17-2009, 05:56 PM
For those of us who didn't know Frankel personally I think this article answers most of the questions.

Good Job Lenny! :ThmbUp:

matthewsiv
11-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Great article.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

joanied
11-18-2009, 03:02 PM
andymays....thanks for posting the link...Mr. Shulman always writes great articles...this may be one of his best. It makes me, on a personal level, feel good that a lot of folks that didn't realize just what a wonderful man Bobby was...now know the true essence of the man.

Several years ago, throught stress & exhaustion, I had what one might call a panic attack...by time my husband got me to the ER, my pulse was over 200...I really thought I was going to die...and the utmost thing that brought tears to my eyes, was leaving my animals...though it all, I told my husband what to do with my horses and to give extra love to the dogs...
in Mr. Shulman's story, he mentions that leaving his dogs probably made Bobby saddest of all...
I know exactly what that feeling is, that part of the story made my eyes tear and that part of the story tells the true measure of this man. His heart was bigger than all the Championships he and his horses won.

He's with them all now...he has left a void in the racing industry and man kind has lost a true Champion.

RIP

Moyers Pond
11-18-2009, 04:29 PM
I think Frankel was underrated as a person, and overrated as a trainer. The guy clearly was a very good person with a ton of insecurities.

joanied
11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
I think most folks have insecurities.

Moyers Pond
11-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I think most folks have insecurities.

Sure they do. Frankel though seemed to have more than most. It isn't a bad thing and it explains his behavior, especially the way he treated Nick Zito. Frankel was a lot like Dutrow. Not exactly one that liked giving praise to others.

It isn't bad to have insecurities but it is not an excuse to treat other people poorly either.

Like I said, he was probably a better person than many thought he was. My experience with him was fine, but he clearly did not like people that were friendly with Zito for some reason.

Stillriledup
11-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Sure they do. Frankel though seemed to have more than most. It isn't a bad thing and it explains his behavior, especially the way he treated Nick Zito. Frankel was a lot like Dutrow. Not exactly one that liked giving praise to others.

It isn't bad to have insecurities but it is not an excuse to treat other people poorly either.

Like I said, he was probably a better person than many thought he was. My experience with him was fine, but he clearly did not like people that were friendly with Zito for some reason.

People like Frankel are underrated as humans. The reason i say this is because anyone who had bad things to say about Bobby was probably saying that because Frankel didn't kiss their behind and tell them what they want to hear. Sometimes, people confuse that behavior with a person not being nice. Personally, i'd rather have someone tell me the truth and tell it like it is, than blow smoke up my backside and tell me what i DO want to hear. The truth hurts and if Frankel told the truth and hurt a few people along the way, hopefully those people will understand that they were better off hearing the truth from him rather than hearing lies and politically correct answers.

Moyers Pond
11-18-2009, 06:43 PM
People like Frankel are underrated as humans. The reason i say this is because anyone who had bad things to say about Bobby was probably saying that because Frankel didn't kiss their behind and tell them what they want to hear. Sometimes, people confuse that behavior with a person not being nice. Personally, i'd rather have someone tell me the truth and tell it like it is, than blow smoke up my backside and tell me what i DO want to hear. The truth hurts and if Frankel told the truth and hurt a few people along the way, hopefully those people will understand that they were better off hearing the truth from him rather than hearing lies and politically correct answers.

There is a difference between telling the truth and being rude. Frankel was rude to Zito.

And for the record, Frankel was wrong too. Birdstone would have beaten Smarty Jones 10 out of 10 times at the Belmont distance.

Frankel was competitive. Probably what made him so good, but he was a bad loser and couldn't be happy for another person if he tried.

joanied
11-18-2009, 06:54 PM

Well, I can't speak to most of what you say, I don't know why Bobby & Zito had a falling out...maybe just two Brooklyn bums knocking heads:D

But...I agree with what most of imstillriledup said too...I would rather hear the truth from someone, even if it hurt a little...in the long run, it's the best road to take...although, it doesn't hurt to use a little tact while you tell the truth:)

Anyway...he's gone and I will cling to my memories of him and in the knowledge that he was a very good man.

Stillriledup
11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
There is a difference between telling the truth and being rude. Frankel was rude to Zito.

And for the record, Frankel was wrong too. Birdstone would have beaten Smarty Jones 10 out of 10 times at the Belmont distance.

Frankel was competitive. Probably what made him so good, but he was a bad loser and couldn't be happy for another person if he tried.

All humans are rude at one time or another. Being rude doesn't mean you're a bad person.

Moyers Pond
11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Well, I can't speak to most of what you say, I don't know why Bobby & Zito had a falling out...maybe just two Brooklyn bums knocking heads:D

But...I agree with what most of imstillriledup said too...I would rather hear the truth from someone, even if it hurt a little...in the long run, it's the best road to take...although, it doesn't hurt to use a little tact while you tell the truth:)

Anyway...he's gone and I will cling to my memories of him and in the knowledge that he was a very good man.

Frankel was a good man. Much better than his public image. I was just saying his insecurities really were at the heart of his rudeness.

Some of the most successful people in the world are very insecure. It drives them.

I like Nick, so I was never a huge Frankel guy. I never bought the "he is brash" because he is from Brooklyn thing. Nick is from Brooklyn and you won't find a nicer guy.

I sort of felt bad for Frankel because some of the people that I know that were friendly with him said he was never happy. Some people are just that way.

Moyers Pond
11-18-2009, 07:06 PM
All humans are rude at one time or another. Being rude doesn't mean you're a bad person.

Of course not. Nobody said Frankel was a bad person. In fact he was a very good person. He just seemed like he was never happy and didn't seem to want others to be happy. That is a trait many successful people have.

I should say I did not know him personally. My one experience with him was good, but probably because I told him he looked like Robert Dinero and he seemed to love hearing that.

andymays
11-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I ran into him one time at Del Mar and it was Pacific Classic day.

I asked him a question about the probable pace of the race. He didn't know me but he took the time to give me an answer. Then he won the race! :ThmbUp:

NY BRED
11-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Regardless of his personality his record as a trainer is legendary.

The last paragraph of the Shulman article provides
a dimension to this trainer which I never would
would have imagined based on the personality
of this dynamic trainer.

Rest in peace Bobby.you are a very tough act to follow.

The Hawk
11-18-2009, 09:20 PM

What was Frankel wrong about? I never heard that there was bad blood there.

DJofSD
11-18-2009, 10:17 PM
I ran into him one time at Del Mar and it was Pacific Classic day.

I asked him a question about the probable pace of the race. He didn't know me but he took the time to give me an answer. Then he won the race! :ThmbUp:
Andy, I betcha that was when Missionary Ridge won the first time.

Back in the day I had approached him on many an occasion. He always answered my questions (which were always about a horse, never about his training or what happened in a race). I never had my head handed to me.

Sometimes people feel some one is being rude either when they don't get the answer they expect or they take offense to the words used or the manner they are spoken. The problem is that it's your choice to be offended.

WinterTriangle
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
People like Frankel are underrated as humans

Many humans I meet are underrated. Mostly by themselves.

It's what causes people not to "step up" when they need to. Hence, :) why they remain under- rated.

The problem is that it's your choice to be offended.

Ii's also your choice to ask for clarification.

I have no bad blood with anyone, because I ask. Nothing to carry around afterwards. :)

WinterTriangle
11-18-2009, 11:11 PM
He just seemed like he was never happy and didn't seem to want others to be happy. That is a trait many successful people have.

Actually, it isn't.

Of course, we would have to get into semantics of 'success', but your statement makes me question your premise that Frankel was never happy and/or didn't want others to be happy.

Few "truly successful" people are like that.

nijinski
11-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Some may say he was rude , but as I understand t he didn't exactly come into the sport with much and had to put up with alot of challenges along the way.

Frank Martin claimed his New York runners , he had a hard time trying to get stalls in Florida so he basically had to go cross country to restructure.

I will always have the utmost respect for him and for his major contributions
to horseracing .

Lets also remember , Mr Frankel is said to have been a big supporter of Old Friends retirement , They are opening up a new center near Saratoga , to be
called Old Friends at Cabin Creek , The Bobby Frankel Division , will be the name of the auxillary space. All horses trained by him will have priorty to the facility.
I hope to visit when they open .

PaceAdvantage
11-19-2009, 03:57 AM
Birdstone would have beaten Smarty Jones 10 out of 10 times at the Belmont distance.Not to derail this thread, but I take big issue with this outrageous statement.

Moyers Pond
11-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Not to derail this thread, but I take big issue with this outrageous statement.

Birdstone and even his children would laugh at Smarty and his children at 12f. Smarty Jones could never beat Birdstone at 12f. Never.

If you find this statement outrageous you must find Frankel's statement super outrageous, considering Birdstone actually beat Smarty, not the other way around.

Moyers Pond
11-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Actually, it isn't.

Of course, we would have to get into semantics of 'success', but your statement makes me question your premise that Frankel was never happy and/or didn't want others to be happy.

Few "truly successful" people are like that.

Actually I said "many" successful people have that trait. And yes, that is true. Frankel was a "tormented genius" and those are not my words. They are the words of someone very close to him, Mark Reid.

Read the Dick Jerardi column. tI shows what Frankel really was. A very successful guy that could not find happiness. Sort of sad, but like I said many people that are great at their professions are never happy people.

Jerardi got it 100% correct about Frankel. "He was a loner who never seemed happy no matter what was going on with his life."

I am sure the guy had some happiness, but people that are rude to others often are miserable people for some reason or another.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20091117_Bobby_Frankel__one_of_greatest_horse_trai ners_in_history__dies_at_68.html

Grits
11-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Moyers Pond, you've never heard the old saying . . . . "let's not speak ill of the dead" have you?

Bobby Frankel has barely been this way (dead, that is) a bit more than 72 hours, and you're on a real tear slamming him--with this thread, and your "does a trainer have to win the Derby to be considered great"? (Outstanding and knowledgable assessments, there, leave much....) Your agenda is obvious, though, you're working, well, implenting the passive--aggressive approach, wherein, one knocks someone in the dirt, then covers with the addition of a subtle afterthought for compliment sake.

Unless, and I doubt it seriously, you're a personal friend of Mr.Frankel's I'd wager my house and the land its sitting on that you don't know jacksh** about this man, his skill, his gifts, his personality, or (most of all) his insecurities.
Of course not. Nobody said Frankel was a bad person. In fact he was a very good person. He just seemed like he was never happy and didn't seem to want others to be happy. That is a trait many successful people have.
Your posts are reading like one who seems to suffer verbal dysentary.

Its the internet, and yes, one can AND DOES make this sh** up.

It happens hourly. Even when one's been dead less than four days.:faint:

Absolutely amazing.

Moyers Pond
11-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Moyers Pond, you've never heard the old saying . . . . "let's not speak ill of the dead" have you?

Bobby Frankel has barely been this way (dead, that is) a bit more than 72 hours, and you're on a real tear slamming him--with this thread, and your "does a trainer have to win the Derby to be considered great"? (Outstanding and knowledgable assessments, there, leave much....) Your agenda is obvious, though, you're working, well, implenting the passive--aggressive approach, wherein, one knocks someone in the dirt, then covers with the addition of a subtle afterthought for compliment sake.

Unless, and I doubt it seriously, you're a personal friend of Mr.Frankel's I'd wager my house and the land its sitting on that you don't know jacksh** about this man, his skill, his gifts, his personality, or (most of all) his insecurities.

Its the internet, and yes, one can AND DOES make this sh** up.

It happens hourly. Even when one's been dead less than four days.:faint:

Absolutely amazing.

I don't see where anyone is speaking ill of Frankel. If anything I am just speaking the truth, something Frankel would applaud.We all can't be blinded by the truth because a person dies. The guy was not exactly a nice guy unless you were his friend. I am just not a fan of people like that, but I understand they are that way for some reason.

andymays
11-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't see where anyone is speaking ill of Frankel. If anything I am just speaking the truth, something Frankel would applaud.We all can't be blinded by the truth because a person dies. The guy was not exactly a nice guy unless you were his friend. I am just not a fan of people like that, but I understand they are that way for some reason.

If you didn't know him at all or didn't know him well then you're probably going a little too far given that the guy just died.

Most of us including myself have taken things too far at times on other subjects so maybe you ought to realize it's probably time to let this one go. Just my opinion. ;)

Moyers Pond
11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
If you didn't know him at all or didn't know him well then you're probably going a little too far given that the guy just died.

Most of us including myself have taken things too far at times on other subjects so maybe you ought to realize it's probably time to let this one go. Just my opinion. ;)

Maybe. I should say I didn't know him well. My opinions are based on what I saw of him in the racing office (he liked to yell at people) and what one of my best friends said about him, and he worked for a trainer that did not get along with Frankel.

I just think the "he was honest" nonsense people like to use to defend his rudeness is sort of ridiculous. You can be honest without constantly yelling at people.

I have to admit I know a lot more people that have told me the media love affair with him over the last few days comes from the few people who actually liked the guy. My best friend who knew Frankel well said he was like a brilliant actor that thought is was fine to demean people. If that is what he was, then that is how he should be portrayed, considering he was the guy that everyone keeps saying loved to tell the truth.

andymays
11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Maybe. I should say I didn't know him well. My opinions are based on what I saw of him in the racing office (he liked to yell at people) and what one of my best friends said about him, and he worked for a trainer that did not get along with Frankel.

I just think the "he was honest" nonsense people like to use to defend his rudeness is sort of ridiculous. You can be honest without constantly yelling at people.

I have to admit I know a lot more people that have told me the media love affair with him over the last few days comes from the few people who actually liked the guy. My best friend who knew Frankel well said he was like a brilliant actor that thought is was fine to demean people. If that is what he was, then that is how he should be portrayed, considering he was the guy that everyone keeps saying loved to tell the truth.

If we judged everyone by their worst moments there would be an awfull lot of Jerks involved in racing and elsewhere.

Moyers Pond
11-19-2009, 10:04 AM
If we judged everyone by their worst moments there would be an awfull lot of Jerks involved in racing and elsewhere.

I agree. I think I will let Lenny Shulman (who I have met and is a very nice guy) sum it up for me.

"Bobby Frankel was not for everybody." Me and many others.

"I was crazy about him." Lenny and many others.

andymays
11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
I agree. I think I will let Lenny Shulman (who I have met and is a very nice guy) sum it up for me.

"Bobby Frankel was not for everybody." Me and many others.

"I was crazy about him." Lenny and many others.

That's about right! Lenny was spot on!:ThmbUp:

Grits
11-19-2009, 11:35 AM

No MP, maybe you should admit, openly, no--not only do you not know this man, but, this man couldn't pick you out in a lineup of two if you were picked up and hauled down to your local precinct.

You have a desire to do all a favor and "get the truth out to the masses," something which you, somehow, mistakenly believe Mr.Frankel would applaud you for. To enlighten everyone based upon the opinions of others, neither of whom are pyschiatrists, or pyschologists. Writers, friends of friends of friends and anyone else you may know, included.

To meet Bobby Frankel, declaring, "you look like Robert DiNiro" and assume "he loved hearing that" is the equivilent of my knowing (not assuming) you're blind as a bat if you told me I could pass for Heidi Klum. You must have been exceedingly nervous. The two do not favor.:lol:

The other day, here, I disagreed with ShowMeTheWire, someone whose posting I greatly respect, but this stuff you're throwing out is beyond me. And trivial, too.

Moyers Pond
11-19-2009, 01:30 PM
No MP, maybe you should admit, openly, no--not only do you not know this man, but, this man couldn't pick you out in a lineup of two if you were picked up and hauled down to your local precinct.

The other day, here, I disagreed with ShowMeTheWire, someone whose posting I greatly respect, but this stuff you're throwing out is beyond me. And trivial, too.

That would be pretty difficult to do for a dead man. :lol:

Who cares if you respect someone's postings. You act like you are somebody that matters. Nobody cares about your opinions, just like nobody cares about mine.

Last I checked I lived in the United States, I can have an opinion of anyone I want. Oh wait, do I have to clear it with you first? :lol:

toetoe
11-19-2009, 01:32 PM

Easily amazed lady,

Can you take the truth, even if it's a bit painful ?

Your post here is your worst ever. It has brought tears to my eyes, and I'm sure Mr. Frankel, on a cloud somewhere, is thinking, "What --- I need help from this broad ?" :rolleyes:

Grits
11-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Moyers Pond, much to your dismay I'm sure, I am somebody that matters. So is Mr. Frankel, and everyone else that participates, posts, or reads this website. Including those within the industry or outside of it.

I give little credence to a hack (and don't hesitate saying so) when I'm reading post after post of their, or their various friend's best friend's anecdotal experiences and unqualified opinions about the mental health of a man that excelled in this industry, and died four days ago.

I have no problem with truth, Toe, and I easily recognize, listen, and learn from those that voice it. Even when it may be an unpleasant truth.

What I don't have--is patience with someone who wants to name drop who they know in racing, yet, wants to go off on a dead man!!!!!

That works real well. Quite bold, no less. And very effective in regard to validating opinion of mental health or any other subject one could bring up.

Toe, I'll lose copious amounts of sleep this evening over what both of you think of my comments. In the meantime, don't worry, though, your freedom of speech is safe, as surely as is--the fields, of both, horse training and mental health.

EOC.

JustRalph
11-19-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyers Pond
Birdstone would have beaten Smarty Jones 10 out of 10 times at the Belmont distance.

Now that you jumped in........ I was going to take on this statement too.....but thought better of it.

Jerry Bailey/Alex Solis beat Smarty by sacrificing their horses to stop a Triple Crown winner that they didnt think was worthy..........Birdstone and Smarty in a match race.............no way Birdstone beats him..........or maybe two riders who don't take it upon themselves to dictate who can win a triple crown and who can't.........I lost all respect for both of them and their owners that day............

I've said it before.........

46zilzal
11-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Quote:

Jerry Bailey/Alex Solis beat Smarty by sacrificing their horses to stop a Triple Crown winner that they didnt think was worthy..........
BULL CRAP. NONE of his races, not a one, suggested he had the stamina for 12 furlongs. TO have gotten as far as he did was on shear guts.

Alone mid stretch he backed up ALL BY HIMSELF

Dahoss9698
11-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyers Pond
Birdstone would have beaten Smarty Jones 10 out of 10 times at the Belmont distance.

Now that you jumped in........ I was going to take on this statement too.....but thought better of it.

Jerry Bailey/Alex Solis beat Smarty by sacrificing their horses to stop a Triple Crown winner that they didnt think was worthy..........Birdstone and Smarty in a match race.............no way Birdstone beats him..........or maybe two riders who don't take it upon themselves to dictate who can win a triple crown and who can't.........I lost all respect for both of them and their owners that day............

Of course claiming Birdstone would beat Smarty Jones 10 out of 10 at 12 furlongs was a ridiculous statement.....consider the source. And I agree, Smarty Jones would probably beat Birdstone in a match race.

However, Birdstone was far from a one hit wonder. He was a pretty good horse in his own right. In a fairly run race, it would have been interesting to see them compete against each other a few times.

andymays
11-19-2009, 05:44 PM
And They're Off: Bobby Frankel Tribute | Videos | BloodHorse.com

Breeders’ Cup review as well!

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/videos/watch/64140398-99E5-412F-9F6C-F23F9BA4AE49

Lenny and Steve wrap-up the Breeders' Cup, weigh-in on the Horse of the Year debate, and share some of their memories of Bobby Frankel.

WinterTriangle
11-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Who cares if you respect someone's postings. You act like you are somebody that matters. Nobody cares about your opinions, just like nobody cares about mine.

I hope I'm not the only one who is baffled why somebody who feels that way is even ON a message board?:confused:

Forums: a place to exchange and share opinions, insights, etc.

If you don't think people here matter, then why not just scribble in a notebook, alone in your living room, and stop reading?

Moyers Pond
11-20-2009, 08:19 AM
I hope I'm not the only one who is baffled why somebody who feels that way is even ON a message board?:confused:

If you don't think people here matter, then why not just scribble in a notebook, alone in your living room, and stop reading?

They exist for entertainment. Nobodies opinion on a message board matters because people on message boards are not the actual people.

When message boards require actual names to be used, and verified, they would matter.

Right now it is a bunch of anonymous people, and even if we did use our real names, who cares. It is opinion. I try to base my opinions on facts and observations and things people tell me, other make up opinions of what they want to believe, it is their opinion.

Personally I think when a person dies people try to make the person better than he/she actually was. In this case I think that is pretty obvious.

andymays
11-20-2009, 11:14 AM
They exist for entertainment. Nobodies opinion on a message board matters because people on message boards are not the actual people.

When message boards require actual names to be used, and verified, they would matter.

Right now it is a bunch of anonymous people, and even if we did use our real names, who cares. It is opinion. I try to base my opinions on facts and observations and things people tell me, other make up opinions of what they want to believe, it is their opinion.

Personally I think when a person dies people try to make the person better than he/she actually was. In this case I think that is pretty obvious.

MP it's pretty obvious that you can't stand the guy so why don't you start a thread about what a dirty rotten SOB the guy really was? This thread was more about the good things not the bad stuff. Have at it!

Take a stand my friend!

andymays
11-20-2009, 12:03 PM

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/mistreating-customers-no-way-to-grow-business-70605222.html

Excerpt:

• FRANKEL 'A GOOD MAN' -- Many fine eulogies have been given this week on the death of Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel. In fact, HRTV will air ''A Tribute to Bobby'' on its Inside Information program at 6 p.m. Sunday. One of Frankel's best friends was trainer Julio Canani, so I'll quote his simple words: ''The man was unbelievable. He had a heart as big as they get. A good man.''

Vinnie
11-20-2009, 02:07 PM

Not at his very best could Birdstone have dealt with Smarty Jones. JustRalph, I have to totally concur with you and PA on your posts. SJ had to put the beat down on several other horses during that race and Birdstone was the benefactor of the other horses wearing Smarty down during the running of the race. I too lost a lot of respect that I previously had held for Jerry Bailey and Alexis Solis after the running of that years Belmont Stakes.

I really like Birdstone and his progeny a great deal, but, beat Smarty Jones when both were in their prime, "No Way"!!

Moyers Pond
11-20-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/mistreating-customers-no-way-to-grow-business-70605222.html

Excerpt:

• FRANKEL 'A GOOD MAN' -- Many fine eulogies have been given this week on the death of Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel. In fact, HRTV will air ''A Tribute to Bobby'' on its Inside Information program at 6 p.m. Sunday. One of Frankel's best friends was trainer Julio Canani, so I'll quote his simple words: ''The man was unbelievable. He had a heart as big as they get. A good man.''

Another honest horseman. There are so many.

Maybe Dutrow should keep this guy on retainer for his eulogy. :D

andymays
11-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Frankel assistant not worried about future

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseracing/2009/11/frankel-assistant-not-worried.html

Excerpt:

It didn't take long for Ascanio, who went to work as a groom for Frankel in 1973, to climb his way up the ladder in the Hall of Famer's barn. He was promoted to assistant about a year later, but not before some serious thought.

"In a way, I was hesitant," Ascanio said. "I knew he was a real tough guy, real strict. He wanted everything to be right, organized, everything. He said to think about it, that he needed someone to run his (stable). I talked it over with my wife and she said, 'Do what you want, whatever makes you happy.' "
Ascanio said he believes he earned Frankel's respect through the dedication to his work.

"I was a good worker, I worked hard with his horses and I think he saw this," Ascanio said.

"He always liked his horses to look good, because if they don't look good they don't run (well)."

There was no better teacher in the profession than Frankel, and it seems Juddmonte could do a lot worse than to keep its horses with Ascanio and see what the native of Guadalajara, Mexico can do with them.

It says here Ascanio learned his lessons well and is ready for the challenge of heading his own stable.

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseracing/2009/11/frankel-assistant-not-worried.html

andymays
11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Another honest horseman. There are so many.

Maybe Dutrow should keep this guy on retainer for his eulogy. :D

Start a thread and take a stand.

Having a strong opinion is what it's all about. Hiding in this thread and bashing Frankel doesn't get you the exposure you deserve. Call these guys out if you feel that strongly.

C'mon MP and get your game on!

JustRalph
11-20-2009, 03:19 PM

Great line,,,,,,,,,, :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
11-20-2009, 03:25 PM

You make this statement as if nobody on this board has ever met outside of the digital realm.

There is a fairly large group her that get together yearly at Saratoga, Keeneland etc. I have found that in meeting some of those people who post here, and a few other boards, that they pretty much live up to their online persona's . Most are very very nice people. Sitting down and having dinner with a few here and a few from some other boards.......has been very much fun. There are some very real and genuine personalities on this board. And downright nice people................just like their online identities.

andymays
11-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Juddmonte Horses Still in Limbo | BloodHorse.com

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/53536/juddmonte-horses-still-in-limbo

Excerpt:

“I was laughing at the services the other day. There were about four or five us standing around in a circle and some lady came up to us and said, ‘Oh, wouldn’t Bobby have loved this?’ And we all laughed, because we all had the exact same thought: ‘He probably wouldn’t have showed up.’”

O’Rourke recalls those final heart-breaking moments talking to Frankel. As sad and as gut-wrenching as they were, he always will remember fondly how Frankel remained true to himself even in the face of death.

“Last Friday (Nov. 13), Bobby called me while I was at the barn and told me, ‘I’m going home tomorrow. I’m not going to take any more transfusions. I just don’t want to go on like this.’ And he said, ‘I’m scared.’

“There was a silence, and then, Bobby said, ‘Talk to Humberto and just tell him, two easy halfs for Ventura and she’ll be fine for the Matriarch.’

“That was Bobby, still training horses right up to the very end.”

joanied
11-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Juddmonte Horses Still in Limbo | BloodHorse.com

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/53536/juddmonte-horses-still-in-limbo

Excerpt:

“I was laughing at the services the other day. There were about four or five us standing around in a circle and some lady came up to us and said, ‘Oh, wouldn’t Bobby have loved this?’ And we all laughed, because we all had the exact same thought: ‘He probably wouldn’t have showed up.’”

O’Rourke recalls those final heart-breaking moments talking to Frankel. As sad and as gut-wrenching as they were, he always will remember fondly how Frankel remained true to himself even in the face of death.

“Last Friday (Nov. 13), Bobby called me while I was at the barn and told me, ‘I’m going home tomorrow. I’m not going to take any more transfusions. I just don’t want to go on like this.’ And he said, ‘I’m scared.’

“There was a silence, and then, Bobby said, ‘Talk to Humberto and just tell him, two easy halfs for Ventura and she’ll be fine for the Matriarch.’

“That was Bobby, still training horses right up to the very end.”

I have been too busy to spend time here recently...plus, my stupid computer is running like molasses:mad: ...I just read through all the posts in this thread...
this one gave me goosebumps, and brought tears to my eyes...
thanks for posting this, andymays.

To those of you that seem to take some sort of pleasure in bashing this man, who are drawing conclusions about a man they did not know, or didn't know well, to say anything negative about him....

please, Bobby is gone...just back off and let him rest in peace...in this particular thread, one meant as a tribute to the man...if you don't have something nice to say, then, please, don't say anything at all.

Grits
11-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the story link Andy. This is a good way to remember Bobby Frankel, though, it breaks my heart to know, after so much suffering, he was scared. Leaving this world and those you love can be hard.

His daughter, Bethenny, with 400 people surrounding her at her dad's service, spoke, "my father taught me to say what you mean, and mean what you say."

Words close to me; words I've lived by. I was pleased that she shared his belief in them.

And when this happens, you, Sir or Miss, (I have no idea which) without the advantage of your anonymity . . . . . WILL BE THE VERY FIRST TO HAUL @SS.

joanied
11-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the story link Andy. This is a good way to remember Bobby Frankel, though, it breaks my heart to know, after so much suffering, he was scared. Leaving this world and those you love can be hard.

His daughter, Bethenny, with 400 people surrounding her at her dad's service, spoke, "my father taught me to say what you mean, and mean what you say."

Words close to me; words I've lived by. I was pleased that she shared his belief in them.

And when this happens, you, Sir or Miss, (I have no idea which) without the advantage of your anonymity . . . . . WILL BE THE VERY FIRST TO HAUL @SS.

:ThmbUp: :)

toetoe
11-21-2009, 12:48 AM
To meet Bobby Frankel, declaring, "you look like Robert DiNiro" and assume "he loved hearing that" is the equivilent of my knowing (not assuming) you're blind as a bat if you told me I could pass for Heidi Klum. You must have been exceedingly nervous. The two do not favor.:lol:

For a reader to know what you mean by what you say, what you say must mean something !!! :bang: .

andymays
11-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Bobby Frankel no stranger to strong horses, opinions

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/nov/21/bobby-frankel-no-stranger-to-strong-horses/

Excerpt:

We had a potential disaster brewing with the Immigration Service regarding the legality of backstretch workers,” Harper said. “Bobby took the position, almost militantly, that there was no way the government was going to interfere with the business going on at a racetrack. But it was pretty obvious to me that they were going to take a very big interest and do something about it unless we could negotiate some kind of middle ground.”
A meeting was arranged at the INS headquarters in San Ysidro. Harper, steward Tom Ward and Frankel were the track's delegation.

“Bobby walked in, said ‘Hey, there's no way you're going to mess around with my horses at my racetrack,’ and walked out,” Harper recalled. “That set the tone and two days later there was a raid with 150 Border Patrol agents coming through the gates.

“Bobby wasn't around. He had left with a horse to Arlington Park. He wasn't on my good list for awhile after that.”

Excerpt:

“He was a young tiger,” Gann said of his first impression of Frankel. “He was a guy that was going to do some good out here in California.

“I never turned him down. That's one thing, when he brought me a horse, I never turned him down. Toward the end, naturally, everybody was throwing horses at him.

“This guy stacked up with any trainer anywhere in the world. We had some differences, but he was generally right and I was generally wrong. He was his own man.

“I think the world lost one of its best horsemen.”